Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When I was a chissiler, if I said 'can I have..' the answer was usually 'you mean, 'may I have...'. This was simply because 'you can, but you may not...'. Too confusing even now!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I think of "may I have" as being asking for permission, whereas "can I have" is directly asking for something to be provided for you.

The other one driving me mad at the moment is when people ask a question by answering the question but adding "is it?" on to the end.

"You're catching the train at three, is it?"

It isn't. My train leaves at four.

:) That's probably 'you are catching the train at three, is that the time at which you are catching it?'

B'dumpfh! (Not good at spelling noises!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

greenflash wrote: »
    I think of "may I have" as being asking for permission, whereas "can I have" is directly asking for something to be provided for you.

The other one driving me mad at the moment is when people ask a question by answering the question but adding "is it?" on to the end.

"You're catching the train at three, is it?"

It isn't. My train leaves at four.
    May implies permission, as you say.
    Can implies physical possibility.

My English teacher was very insistent on using may and can correctly!

If asked the question, "Can I go to the toilet, please?", he would often let the student get up and go to the door before asking, "Where are you going?" Student replies, "You said that I can go to the toilet". To which he replied, "Yes, you asked if you were physically able to go to the toilet, to which I replied that you were - I did not give you permission to go - now sit down!"

"Ah, yes, I remember it well!" (Possibly the title of a new thread?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Yes I agree with that - I teach English to French people and one short series of modals (which is what these are called) that we learn off by heart, just to get the meaning of them into focus is this -
    I can - I could
    I will - I would
    I shall - I should (+ I ought to)
    I may - I might
    Those in the first column are certain (apart from may) and those in the second column are far less certain and so they are very useful for expressing a polite question, because you're not imposing what you believe to be certain on someone else - and might is marginally less certain than may. We can then go on and find out how to use them in the appropriate context, now that we know where we are with them.

• Advertisement

I was told by a French lady who spoke several languages that English was the easiest to learn. I'd love to speak a second language, but Irish is on the verrrrrry bottom of the list. Sorry, I'm way OT now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Well if she's French, Occitan, Catalan, Italian and Spanish would be easier languages for her to learn than English. I contribute to a forum that helps people out with their French/English vocabulary and how to translate and use expressions from one language to the other and I can tell you , I and the others who contribute to it are never short of work - (and we do it for free.) Sorry if this is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

why is that nowadays people feel the need to say "basically" ? or even start a sentence with it? and another annoying word is "absolutely".....and if you notice people who say it usually say "absolutely, absolutely"---just watch...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

muincav wrote: »
    why is that nowadays people feel the need to say "basically" ? or even start a sentence with it? and another annoying word is "absolutely".....and if you notice people who say it usually say "absolutely, absolutely"---just watch...;)
    I agree - it's right up there with "actually"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have to admit to certain computer phrases that annoy the heck out of me too.

ERROR

INVALID

TIME OUT

to name but three. Error is ok if you made a mistake, but when it appears after you try to click on a link that you used only yesterday......... :mad:

Invalid, if you are always using something, how can it suddenly become invalid. :mad:

I have broadband, so how can a well used site now time out when I am trying to login? :mad:

Sorry rant over :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

I attended a wedding in southern England last week and a ghastly plague seems to have hit the female populous. The use of an upward inflection at the end of a sentence. Very annoying and tiresome in the extreme.
    Let us pray that the disease does not cross the sea and pollute our own.
    Worrying times indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Upward inflection? My God, I noticed it in Blighty a long time ago. I've heard it in Ireland a good few times over the past few years. Usually from young wans who've been away for any length of time. It preceded toting the bottle of water thing as a fashion statement. :D

Anyway, Old Rio, how are you? What a delightful and dignified handle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MrBinbetweener

stop the lights & get the boat.....seriously what does all that even mean

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

"broad-minded"/backward/modern all suspect terms to describe the apathy around .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Spread wrote: »
    Upward inflection? My God, I noticed it in Blighty a long time ago. I've heard it in Ireland a good few times over the past few years. Usually from young wans who've been away for any length of time. It preceded toting the bottle of water thing as a fashion statement. :D

Anyway, Old Rio, how are you? What a delightful and dignified handle :)

A very good evening to yourself Spread, or should that be good afternoon.
    The crucifiction of the English language with this disease UI is blamed on TV.
    In particular Aussie Soaps.
    When the young wans are plonked in front of the TV. Always on full volume. Eating their food. Texting their friends. Arguing with their siblings. It does seem that the curse of UI effects them in a subliminal way.
    Antidote, no TV and a damn good book.
    I fear the worse.

Aussie Soaps? We can blame a lot more on them, such as orange tans, and strappy tops and dresses which Irish girls wear all year round forgetting that the sun always shines in Oz, but we live in Ireland for crying out loud!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aussie Soaps? We can blame a lot more on them, such as orange tans, and strappy tops and dresses which Irish girls wear all year round forgetting that the sun always shines in Oz, but we live in Ireland for crying out loud!
    *Ali nods sagely. Mutters "I'm sounding more like my mother every day"

wanders away*

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Berckoise

You're standing at a cash register, mouth open ready to ask for what you want to purchase and the assistant says "Are you all right?

Should I tell her, starting at arthritis and continuing on down to wooziness when I stand up quickly?:confused:

Berckoise wrote: »
    You're standing at a cash register, mouth open ready to ask for what you want to purchase and the assistant says "Are you all right?

Should I tell her, starting at arthritis and continuing on down to wooziness when I stand up quickly?:confused:
    One of these days, I will provide a full medical history to one of those (trim, tanned, toned) young wans that ask me that question. I'll do it , I really will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Isn't it amazing - there you are, in a hospital bed, saline drip attached etc and a visitor arrives and asks, "How are you, are you well?"

Why do they think you are in hospital? - for a holiday!!!

• Advertisement

Mosquitoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

When people say "on behalf of" instead of "on his/her/their part". It's only on 'behalf of' if you are doing it instead of them! Grrr

When people say "on behalf of" instead of "on his/her/their part". It's only on 'behalf of' if you are doing it instead of them! Grrr

Well you know when the guys stand up at the 'oul wedding to make that Groom's thank you speech - they all say 'on behalf of my wife and I..' and everyone chuckles, well I never knew they were chuckling at his rotten grammar! :D Haw-haw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well you know when the guys stand up at the 'oul wedding to make that Groom's thank you speech - they all say 'on behalf of my wife and I..' and everyone chuckles, well I never knew they were chuckling at his rotten grammar! :D Haw-haw!

"on behalf on my wife and I"

reels with shock....:eek:

it should of course be "of my wife and me"!

The test is to leave out the other person. You'd never say "on behalf of I", would you? ...... would you??

:p

How about 'on behalf of my wife and myself', then? I'm not sure about 'on behalf of my wife and me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Keep it short so she can say a few words herself?

Not sure if this is good etiquette but it would solve the problem.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Keep it short so she can say a few words herself?

......................................................................................................

In between the sobs ;)

Thankfully, more and more of the 'ould weddin' 'etiquette' is being changed and relaxed. I remember our weddin' and I still cringe! However, there are those that still stick by old traditions. I almost fell asleep at the last one I went to, all the long drawn out speeches and all the schmaltz. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

"Check out" [as in "take a look at"], "you guys" and my all time favourite - "awesome". I have even seen/heard "awesomeness" which makes me want to tear my hair out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Partake used for 'take part'. I always understood it was 'partake of' - food for example. But apparently I am wrong, and you can say 'partake in' - a sport or other activity. Still bugs me though, even though I am wrong.

Advertisement