Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boolean

"Cheers" instead of "thank you", cheeses, I hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Boolean wrote: »

:o I say 'cheers' sometimes, though I would argue that it has a subtly different meaning to 'thank you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have to admit to being one of those "Cheers mate" types. Too long spent in England and have too many English friends so the term is in daily use thus ensuring I can't drop it.
    On the plus side "mate" is infinitely better than "Bud".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Jagging (ie. "going out" or "in a relationship" with someone) - horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OldGoat wrote: »
    I have to admit to being one of those "Cheers mate" types. Too long spent in England and have too many English friends so the term is in daily use thus ensuring I can't drop it.
    On the plus side "mate" is infinitely better than "Bud".

I actually complained in Dunnes Stores two weeks ago because the young guy at the checkout ended every other sentence with "mate". It's only one step behind "dude" in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I actually complained in Dunnes Stores two weeks ago because the young guy at the checkout ended every other sentence with "mate". It's only one step behind "dude" in my book.
    I'm glad to hear that it's not just me who complains about things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Watching interviews with sportspeople after their event. They tend to use the word 'Yeah' at the end of a sentence when they run out of things to say. Sometimes, they even combine it with "So. Yeah!" Might be something to do with the interviewer not filling in a silence with another question and leaving the interviewee to linger in silence.

What about starting a reply with "yeah, no." What's all that about ? Agree on the "so" thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

suckin' diesel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

trashcan wrote: »
    What about starting a reply with "yeah, no." What's all that about ? Agree on the "so" thing too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Boolean wrote: »

I say that all the time, nothing wrong with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

..furnish...used in iinsurance and legal correspondence..

.eg .furnish your reports...

pretentious c...p!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

earlytobed wrote: »
    "So" as the first word of an answer.

As in
    "Did you go to Cork"?
    "So. I went to the train station, then met Eileen then went on to Cork"

"What happened in the pub"?
    "So. We were sitting there when John came in......"

I don't understand why so many people begin a sentence with "So"

Fairly quaint, benign, and very old school Irish usage. Just a verbal tick. It's been condemned as a neologism in British and American English as it caught on there recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I follow a lot of crafters online, and they often say......"it's SO stinkin' cute!"

I'm not sure which annoys me most, the 'SO' or the 'stinkin' cute'. Remember when we used to say....'isn't that lovely'.....ahhhhh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

if something is stinkin' it isn't any type of cute that I know JB.

Why oh why is it impossible for folk to say what they mean? We have a huge vocabulary to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

"I really, really ....."

I think this shows a lack of vocabulary and it is used so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

"I really, really ....."

I think this shows a lack of vocabulary and it is used so often.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Me too, Looksee! Although I don't usually use two 'reallys' together like that, but I definitely have been known to regularly edit out a lot of solo 'reallys' from my posts. :o

Advertisement