Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Stormchas3r

"At the end of the day". Some days just never end.
    "From the get go". I know language is constantly evolving, but some nonsense like this is hard to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

"Basically" means you'll get to the main point in just a few words, not waffle on endlessly using "basically" every bloody second word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

'Regular' - instead of 'usual' or 'normal' or 'ordinary'. I also can't understand what a 'regular' size cup of coffee is. It is small, medium or large!! 'Regular' was never a size. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

On the subject of coffee, when did a black coffee become an Americano?

Is that what it is? Often wondered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

I discovered the fact after accusing the local coffee shop of not having a black coffee on the menu.
    Apparently there is no more white coffee either. It's all Latte or Cappuccino or something equally daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was out and about in the UK last week and discovered that there was a name for an Americano with a splash of milk. Now there's an original idea. Sadly I can't remember what it was called (maybe I should start to worry).

looksee wrote: »
    I was out and about in the UK last week and discovered that there was a name for an Americano with a splash of milk. Now there's an original idea. Sadly I can't remember what it was called (maybe I should start to worry).

Mebbe it's Canomilky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

Oooh I see. Hm, I thought that an Americano referred to the type of coffee used and that milk was included? Just as well I'm not out on my own much...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A black coffee is a filtered or cafetiere coffee. An Ameracano is a double/tripple shot of espresso tipped into a mug of hot water.
    Terrible thing to do to an espresso if ya ask me but infinatly better then adding steamed milk or cream or flavour shots or marshmallows or banana chips or sugar or whatever.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Thanks OG, I hadn't entirely thought it through. I knew about the espresso and water bit, but most cafes don't list the option of 'black coffee' meaning filtered etc, which is what I prefer. I had taken to asking for an americano instead of just black coffee, I shall go back to the black coffee!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Jumpaddict

OldGoat wrote: »
    A black coffee is a filtered or cafetiere coffee. An Ameracano is a double/tripple shot of espresso tipped into a mug of hot water.
    Terrible thing to do to an espresso if ya ask me but infinatly better then adding steamed milk or cream or flavour shots or marshmallows or banana chips or sugar or whatever.

apt username there:D

Jumpaddict wrote: »
    apt username there:D
    Oi there Jumpy, don't upset the Old Goat. Watch yer step there - cos we loves him and you wouldn't want to upset us little old ladies now would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Totes

Peeps

And the various acronyms for women considered outside the "norm" to be sexually attractive/active: BBW, MILF, COUGAR.

What's so unusual about a woman over forty or over a certain size being desired or desiirng younger guys that it requires an acronym or label?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Thanks OG, I hadn't entirely thought it through. I knew about the espresso and water bit, but most cafes don't list the option of 'black coffee' meaning filtered etc, which is what I prefer. I had taken to asking for an americano instead of just black coffee, I shall go back to the black coffee!

L/S ' buy a packet of Starbucks coffee beans & grind a few of them. Then make your coffee using a filter. Now that's coffee!, none of that poncy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

People misspelling "thrilled". Using "trilled". I grind my teeth reading it.
    Or "I taught" instead of "thought".

Probably a lot more but this really irritates me

• Registered Users Posts: 12 majorsharpes

Ifn't, Whyn't and da triple worder: I'n't [ I would not ]

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Questionable?

LOL...
    And even worse, smiley faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I am told that during WWII American soldiers in Italy found the coffee too strong and used to have it watered down. So it's an espresso + water afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

In most establishments over here ......... you're asked if you want coffee ....... then the waiter/waitress/barista pours a cupfull (free refills) ....... it's up to you to add the milk, honey, marshmallows etc. Unless you go to Starbucks. Perhaps that's why their stock is heading South :)

• Advertisement

Spread wrote: »
    In most establishments over here ......... you're asked if you want coffee ....... then the waiter/waitress/barista pours a cupfull (free refills) ....... it's up to you to add the milk, honey, marshmallows etc. :)

That's the old fashioned and sensible way to do it.

LOL...
    And even worse, smiley faces.

Hi Q. I didn't always use smilies but sometimes other posters misunderstood my posts so I had to introduce smilies to explain whether I was joking or not. So I suppose I was dragged into it really.

They did it again on "Come dine with me". The pronounced "scallops" as "scollops" - it is scAllops for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Medaled / Medaling ( or is it Medalled / Medalling ? )

As in So-and-so has medaled ....... in the Olympics

Do they really mean meddled ?

0lddog wrote: »
    Medaled / Medaling ( or is it Medalled / Medalling ? )

As in So-and-so has medaled ....... in the Olympics

Do they really mean meddled ?

Aargh, that's a horrible invention! What is the obsession with making verbs out of nouns?

Aargh, that's a horrible invention! What is the obsession with making verbs out of nouns?
    Or indeed vice versa; making nouns out of verbs - the one that really makes my ears hurt is "It's a big ask". Lookit, ask is a verb and always was a verb. It wants to be a verb. It works well as a verb.

A notion that has come from England but is here now, referring to shop assistants as 'colleagues'. Voice over speaker: 'Would a colleague please come to the help desk' or 'one of the colleagues will be pleased to help you'.

Its a description of a relationship for heavens sake! 'You and I are colleagues', not a job description, but that is how they are using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surrealality - someone actually said that on the radio last week.

mike65 wrote: »
    Surrealality - someone actually said that on the radio last week.

Some people think it is ok to make words up. I wonder how big a dictionary will be in 50 or 100 years due to everyone making up words. Is 'functionality' a word now? I thought it was merely 'function'? Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Personally, I think.... or In my opinion, I think....
    Obvious it's your opinion if you think it, no need to say so! :mad:

Advertisement