Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Loose instead of lose. How can someone loose a football game?

In a treatise I wrote on the Difficulty of learning English for non-native speakers, I had the following paragraph:

"Native speaking children can also have a problem with certain fairly similar pairs of words. Two of these words, in particular, are “loose” and “lose”. Here, there are two different vocal sounds: “loose” is pronounced to rhyme with spruce. The word lose with one “o” rhymes with the word choose with a double “oo” which is spelt similar to “loose”. But loose and choose do not rhyme. Many native children confuse the spelling of these two words when writing them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

human been and generally been instead of being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

thought instead of taught and there instead of their :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

odds_on wrote: »
    In a treatise I wrote on the Difficulty of learning English for non-native speakers, I had the following paragraph:

"Native speaking children can also have a problem with certain fairly similar pairs of words. Two of these words, in particular, are “loose” and “lose”. Here, there are two different vocal sounds: “loose” is pronounced to rhyme with spruce. The word lose with one “o” rhymes with the word choose with a double “oo” which is spelt similar to “loose”. But loose and choose do not rhyme. Many native children confuse the spelling of these two words when writing them."
    Maybe children, but individuals who purport to be educated adults and are native English speakers?

Maybe children, but individuals who purport to be educated adults and are native English speakers?
    I think that there are many adults who are not good at spelling. Especially, younger adults where spelling appears not to be a particular concern of many teachers or the modern educational system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I see quite a few of these kinds of mistakes in the comments pages of on-line newspapers such as the Irish Times srl. In France too you come up against it quite often in readers' comments on newspaper articles - and those who do make spelling and grammar mistakes get strongly criticised for it by other readers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I think that there are many adults who are not good at spelling. Especially, younger adults where spelling appears not to be a particular concern of many teachers or the modern educational system.

Adults are people who have finished school and if they don't know how to spell they should find out. People shouldn't go through their lives making excuses about their Senior Infants teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,573 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

A somewhat understandable (yet completely ludicrous) spelling mistake:

"The buildings were raised [instead of 'razed'] to the ground"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Adults are people who have finished school and if they don't know how to spell they should find out. People shouldn't go through their lives making excuses about their Senior Infants teacher.

Ah but if they don't know how to spell, then they don't know they have spelled something wrong! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I hate: (in no particular order)

"Bugbear" (sounds stupid)

"Playdate" (sounds stupid and pretentious)

"Barista" (sounds stupid and pretentious)

• Advertisement

Learning to spell does not finish with the Senior Infants Teacher. When I was last in Secondary school, my English teacher was adamant that everyone in the class spelt words correctly. In any essays that we had to write, marks were deducted for poor spelling - which I don't believe happens so much today.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

dats air waya talkin its air culture ye know that sorta way, I mean you's hav yous'er way and we hav airs. shur we couldnt laf at each other if we wer all the same n prim n proper. my da used to say it's a narra mind dat can only spell a word the one way.
    Happy Every Day
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Janorramean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Alice1

it's a narra mind dat can only spell a word the one way.
    P

Love it Angelman, just love it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Janorramean ?

This one will probably be included in the OED soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but lately I seem to be reading/hearing 'Clearly' all the time, it's getting to me grrrr

Is clearly the new going forward ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Complete strangers calling me "mate".

Young bar maids calling me "dear".

What's wrong with "sir".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I think the people who annoy me the most, all live on the home shopping channel. I have heard of the fabricality of a night dress and the wonderful colorfications they carry in a line of ladies undies. they seem to think that adding syllables makes for a better word and they seem to be in competition for pompous twit of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

The widespread misuse of 'fulsome' as in 'a fulsome apology'. Fulsome actually means insincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eildoran

looksee wrote: »
    Spell Czechs is a good outlet for grammar nazis (like me!).

There are a number of words that annoy me, sadly brain-fry has struck and I can't think of any of them! I'll be back if they return to my consciousness.

Shouldn't that read 'there IS a number' .... Being singular....and pedantic...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

EZ24GET wrote: »
    I think the people who annoy me the most, all live on the home shopping channel. I have heard of the fabricality of a night dress and the wonderful colorfications they carry in a line of ladies undies. they seem to think that adding syllables makes for a better word and they seem to be in competition for pompous twit of the year.

That drives me nuts as well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

People that say 'yeah' at the end of every sentence, used mostly by Irish people who lived in England.

When somebody prefaces a comment with 'well, I mean,' or 'in fairness' or 'to be honest,' or worse still, 'to be very honest.'
    Or...'I'm not racist, but...'

People who use worn-out 'forewords' as in 'Bloated' Public Service, 'Gold-plated' pensions, etc.
    The old Irish inferiority trait, still thriving with the youth of today - 'Ahh shure (insert your own branch of our public service here) there useless...shure only half trained...their much better over in (wherever country is flavour of the month)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Virtuosic - virtuoso is the only word you need

Ironical - seriously, just stop it!

Attitudinal - ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Iconic, a word that is dreadfully overused in just about every part of the BBC, from "iconic" rock albums, "iconic" paintings, "iconic" buildings and ships, especially the []Titanic[/] and the two yellow cranes in Harland and Wolff's Shipyard in Belfast...

It's a lazy word used by lazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Obligated, a hideous back-formation of obligation. What's wrong with "obliged"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Obligated, a hideous back-formation of obligation. What's wrong with "obliged"?
    Where I am, work is done between departments but bypassing the nightmare of bureaucracy is knows as an 'obligment'. :(

It's like a nixer but without the backhander. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

Just saw this thread now so didn't read it all, but the one that annoys me the most is when someone uses the word "unconsciously" instead of "subconsciously" and this happens a lot and even appears in the paper.

"Unconsciously" means that a person is in a coma i.e. unconscious, but "subconscious" means that they are conscious but just not fully concentrating on a thing e.g. "Subconscously I could feel the heat of the fire as I chatted away to my friend". I would not say "Unconsciously I could feel the heat of the fire as I chatted away to my friend". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm guilty of that one myself. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Lorna123 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread now so didn't read it all, but the one that annoys me the most is when someone uses the word "unconsciously" instead of "subconsciously" and this happens a lot and even appears in the paper.

"Unconsciously" means that a person is in a coma i.e. unconscious, but "subconscious" means that they are conscious but just not fully concentrating on a thing e.g. "Subconscously (???) I could feel the heat of the fire as I chatted away to my friend". I would not say "Unconsciously I could feel the heat of the fire as I chatted away to my friend". :rolleyes:
    Why then, does the OED (online version) define unconscious as:
    2. done or existing without one realizing:

He unconsciously stepped out onto the road and was hit by a car.
    He subconsciously stepped out onto the road and was hit by a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

Why then, does the OED (online version) define unconscious as:
    2. done or existing without one realizing:

He unconsciously stepped out onto the road and was hit by a car.
    He subconsciously stepped out onto the road and was hit by a car.

I would say "He unconsciously stepped out onto the road and was hit by a car" if he had no idea whatsoever that he was on the road.

I would say "He subconsciously stepped out onto the road and was hit by a car" if he was just walking along and stepped out onto the road without thinking, but actually knew that he was on the road.

The word "unconscious" means that a person is not "conscious" and so is not aware, but "subconscious" means that a person is aware just below consciousness.

That is how I would explain this. I know it is very confusing and hard to follow so I guess it inevitably leads to misuse.

Advertisement