Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

tyre thread:eek:

don't know if it has been mentioned already but there is a word used by the OP that irritates me..

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

When people simply don't like a warning ......ahhhh he's 'negative'...
    or you say something easy to understand.......ahhhh he's 'simplistic..'.
    there are loads more of the 'don't-trouble-me-with-reality' terms that are PC and in Vogue at the present time ....like 'narrowminded' and i'd love to see a book out exposing the verbal slooosh and hyperbole and other nonsense that we use today often because we simply do not think enough about what we believe .People are foolish not bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

odds_on wrote: »
    Some words that really bug me:
    Spoken:
    .... dude

Written:
    .... would of (and all similar "of"s which should be "have").

And in general the poor state of spelling on so many forums, (there for their etc). I don't believe that these are typos but poor spelling by the posters.

I also hate all text message abbreviations.

You're singing my song here. "Would of" etc really, really, really annoys me. Not knowing when to use "there" their" or "they"re is another pet hate of mine. Lots of the other stuff mentioned in the thread here doesn't actually bother me too much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

ootbitb wrote: »

don't know if it has been mentioned already but there is a word used by the OP that irritates me..
    Being the OP, I have never used "tyre thread"; unless, of course, you are not using OP (Original Poster) as I understand it.

I've noticed recently that "two" is being pronounced more and more like "Chew". And so many commentators/hosts on Irish radio have got into what I call lazy English ..... walkin', doin'. What ever happened to good diction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

'Lets meet up next week and "touch base".'
    We have no "bases" to touch. Office-y talk that as crossed the Atlantic. It sounds vaguely sexual as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

When I listen to BBC Radio Four, and more particularly The Today programme (yes that's how I spell it) there are several expressions that they use that irritate me - this week I heard - 'it's up for grabs' - surely there must be a more elegant way of expressing that idea? and 'What's your take on...?' Couldn't they use words such as - What's your view of...? What is your opinion of....? What do you think of...? What is your understanding of the situation? What impression do you have of ....? and so on - and lastly - 'Do you buy into it?' which I'm sure could be expressed differently - Do you accept...? Do you agree ...? Do you find it acceptable? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Is it "bug"? Not my favourite word in that context, I would prefer 'annoy', 'irritate', etc.

zef wrote: »
    Originally Posted by ootbitb viewpost.gif
    tyre threadeek.png

Is it "bug"? Not my favourite word in that context, I would prefer 'annoy', 'irritate', etc.
    Ahhhhhh!! Gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

looksee wrote: »
    Aargh, that's a horrible invention! What is the obsession with making verbs out of nouns?

Agree totally. A particularly horrible example, and another of my pet hates is the use of "trousered" as a verb, e.g, "he's trousering 200K a year" Grrr. It's not even a word for chrissakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

Didn't have a foreign holiday this year [which sounds like I have one every other year. Hah!]. The next person to ask if I had a "staycation" will have to extract his teeth from the sole of my boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

'awesome', '24/7' and 'Mom' - we are not American so why try to speak like we are grrrrrrr

Then you get 'I seen' and 'I done'. I know a teacher who speaks like that. It's so irritating.

Being the OP, I have never used "tyre thread"; unless, of course, you are not using OP (Original Poster) as I understand it.

I've noticed recently that "two" is being pronounced more and more like "Chew". And so many commentators/hosts on Irish radio have got into what I call lazy English ..... walkin', doin'. What ever happened to good diction?

I was referring to the word "bug" .:)

I was referring to the word "bug" .:)
    Yes, I got it - eventually. See my post #219

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Once, during a discussion on the subject of housekeeping and cleaning, a woman I worked with at the time, said "when it comes to cleanliness, I'm anal". I had never heard the word in that context before and could not relate 'cleanliness' to 'anal' I hope never to hear it again. It made me feel quite ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

The same goes for euro: it cost 54 euro. I always thought the plural of euro was euros.

I think the explanation given at the introduction of the euro was that not every European language uses an "s" to make a plural, so for consistency they tried to make euro the singular and plural in all languages.

One misspelled word I see a lot is "phased" as in "He was not phased by the defeat". Watching too much Star Trek maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Oh My God

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

OMG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

"counting the 'sleeps' until Christmas / Birthday etc". Sheesh!

For practically any talent competion.

and the winner is ........................ This pause annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Alice1

syngindub wrote: »
    For practically any talent competion.

and the winner is ........................ This pause annoys me
    Mmm, me too. I s'pose it's meant to build suspense, but it just irks me.

• Advertisement

Alice1 wrote: »
    Mmm, me too. I s'pose it's meant to build suspense, but it just irks me.

it's just so dam cliche at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

The word irk irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Alice1

Ellsbells wrote: »
    The word irk irks me.
    Ooops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

The word that is spelt phoenix but pronounced pheonix really annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Gutted, just can not stand the word as an expression of disappointment.

what's happening

What's the Story

lmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Majorly - Major Tom yes, Marjorie yes, Majorly NO!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Loose instead of lose. How can someone loose a football game?

Advertisement