Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I think Des Cahill just outed himself there.

I missed that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

STB. wrote: »
    I missed that ?

He kept going on about how handsome Brian Fenton was.I think he went a bit overboard personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He kept going on about how handsome Brian Fenton was.I think he went a bit overboard personally.

I always thought cahill modeled his image on henry sellers

henry-sellers-600x456.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think Des Cahill just outed himself there.

hope he told the wife and kids first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id say McMahon was a cert for motm but they sidestepped him because of the Donaghy incident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

He is married to Gerry Curran's sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Cripes your still complaining all evening after an All Ireland win. You'd be hard to listen to if you had actually lost :rolleyes:. Not a word about the Mcmahon eye gouge from you, your blinkers are welded on or else your his mother or girlfriend.

Not complaining a bit, loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Godge wrote: »
    Not complaining a bit, loving it.

Considering you think everyone in the North's a savage you think you'd be more critical of McMahon. Then again his dad's from Belfast so moving swiftly on...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

wonga77 wrote: »
    Id say McMahon was a cert for motm but they sidestepped him because of the Donaghy incident

I'd have given it to him regardless. Fenton was fantastic today and has been so all year. His work rate is just phenomenal, has great composure, strong in the tackle and if he continues to develop he can be a cornerstone of the Dubs midfield for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

aveytare wrote: »
    Considering you think everyone in the North's a savage you think you'd be more critical of McMahon. Then again his dad's from Belfast so moving swiftly on...

So Donaghy should have known the score, like all's fair in love and war, given they are both products of a "Northern savage breeding".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How anyone can talk about Aidan O'Shea as player of the year when Philly McMahon took him for 1-2 in the All-Ireland semi replay, I just don't know.

Have to agree. Not even Mayo's best forward this year let alone at 14 on TOTY. Scored a very good goal v Donegal (who were a spent force anyway) but his displays in Connacht should be disregarded such is the poor quality of opposition. Failed miserably once again on the 'big' stage as he has consistently done at the same stage over the last few seasons.
    It appears that the SG panel always need a 'teachers pet' (Emmet Bolton is a previous case in point) and AOS fits that bill at present.
    I assume he was picked at 14 as a consolation prize for young O'Connor losing out (undeservedly) to Donncha Walshe at 12.
    Andrews was also a victim of 'the process' losing out as Dublin already had a large 'quota'.
    For me he should have been picked at 14. He did the opposite to AOS, ie performed when it mattered most, on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

On a side note, another huge cop-out by the SG 'panel'
    Fenton had a very good game but was a long way behind McMahon for MOTM.
    The Donaghy incident put paid to that.!!
    The panel showing themselves to be incompetent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Come to think of it McMahon does look like a sort you would meet on the Falls road outside a kebab shop

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭paintitwhite

Yet another week where Whelan mouths on about refereeing and black card consistency. If only he applied those standards to how he dealt with issues surrounding Tiernan McCann and Philly McMahon throughout the summer. Funny thing is I disliked him as a player but his punditry had grown on me until recently.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

P_Cash wrote:
    AOS, the Lad plays well against lower level teams, no where to be seen in the two dub games,

Ahh not sure that's fair. Nobody's marked him singlehandedly. If mayo had more forwards they'd make hay with the space .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

pajoguy wrote:
    Just the throwing eyes up to heaven and chatting to o rourke when pat spillane was answering a question put directly to him. It was literally from the start. He does great work for the organ donor movement but he is very irritating.

I have to agree, O'Rourke looks embarrassed by being dragged into it sometimes. Spillane can be a pain sometimes, but I recognize he is a legend and Brolly laughing behind his back like a sly child is poor form.

I'm sick of hearing about Pats 8 all Ireland's and 10 appearances too, but I was glad he reminded Brolly that he had ten to his one today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

washman3 wrote: »
    Have to agree. Not even Mayo's best forward this year let alone at 14 on TOTY. Scored a very good goal v Donegal (who were a spent force anyway) but his displays in Connacht should be disregarded such is the poor quality of opposition. Failed miserably once again on the 'big' stage as he has consistently done at the same stage over the last few seasons.
    It appears that the SG panel always need a 'teachers pet' (Emmet Bolton is a previous case in point) and AOS fits that bill at present.
    I assume he was picked at 14 as a consolation prize for young O'Connor losing out (undeservedly) to Donncha Walshe at 12.
    Andrews was also a victim of 'the process' losing out as Dublin already had a large 'quota'.
    For me he should have been picked at 14. He did the opposite to AOS, ie performed when it mattered most, on the big stage.

Agreed. McCarthy should be in there too. Dublin's best half back over the three games that mattered. Keegan was OK but unspectacular IMO.

AOS being predictably picked still defies belief. Lad was an outright liability to his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

corny wrote: »
    Agreed. McCarthy should be in there too. Dublin's best half back over the three games that mattered. Keegan was OK but unspectacular IMO.

AOS being predictably picked still defies belief. Lad was an outright liability to his team.

Keegan has been excellent all year. Well deserves his place. AOS is probably lucky to be on it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Hitchens

washman3 wrote: »

Yeah, same in the hurling with Joe Canning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Stoner wrote: »
    Ahh not sure that's fair. Nobody's marked him singlehandedly. If mayo had more forwards they'd make hay with the space .

Nobody marks Bernard Brogan singlehandedly yet he scored 6-20 from play this year. Yet all the talk in the media before the semi was O'Shea for Player of the Year and his man scored 1-2 off him over the two games.

• Advertisement

Nobody marks Bernard Brogan singlehandedly yet he scored 6-20 from play this year. Yet all the talk in the media before the semi was O'Shea for Player of the Year and his man scored 1-2 off him over the two games.

Don't think I have ever seen him double-marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Kerry went man for man on Brogan yesterday. And Mayo did in both games in the semis. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your bias.

O'Shea was usually faced with 2 on 1 situations just to contest the ball, and then generally had a third man in on him if he came down with it.

To compare the attention that O'Shea got against Dublin to what Brogan got throughout the championship is laughable.

Pretty sure the McMahon goal came after Seamie OShea got a black card and Aidan O'Shea was playing midfield as a result so your other point isn't strictly true either.

corny wrote:

Plus McCarthy blocked his effort at a point in the replay, people keep saying Keegan went for goal etc but if you look at the replay he got a hand in.

McCarty has been my favourite Dublin halfback since 2011. Tough and gets forward only when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hitchens wrote: »
    Yeah, same in the hurling with Joe Canning

Joe Canning didnt make it onto the SG team of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Joe Canning didnt make it onto the SG team of the year

There's a limit to which even those boys will embarrass themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Kerry went man for man on Brogan yesterday. And Mayo did in both games in the semis. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your bias.

O'Shea was usually faced with 2 on 1 situations just to contest the ball, and then generally had a third man in on him if he came down with it.

To compare the attention that O'Shea got against Dublin to what Brogan got throughout the championship is laughable.

Pretty sure the McMahon goal came after Seamie OShea got a black card and Aidan O'Shea was playing midfield as a result so your other point isn't strictly true either.

Go back and look at the McMahon goal again. By the time the the ball was released, there were 4 Mayo player solely focused on him and what he was going to do with the ball. Yet the ball still wound up in the back of the net. That is par for the course with him. Does he have 2-4 players dragging out of him for the entirety of each and every game? No he doesn't. But as soon as he gets the ball into his hands and into danger territory, you better believe he comes in for some special treatment. Trying to justify & explain O'Shea's continual disappearing acts in big games, is getting more and more laughable, when lads half his size have been dealing with the same treatment for years, yet they just get on with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Go back and look at the McMahon goal again. By the time the the ball was released, there were 4 Mayo player solely focused on him and what he was going to do with the ball. Yet the ball still wound up in the back of the net. That is par for the course with him. Does he have 2-4 players dragging out of him for the entirety of each and every game? No he doesn't. But as soon as he gets the ball into his hands and into danger territory, you better believe he comes in for some special treatment. Trying to justify & explain O'Shea's continual disappearing acts in big games, is getting more and more laughable, when lads half his size have been dealing with the same treatment for years, yet they just get on with the job.

You're arguing a completely different point though. I'm not saying AOS is better than Brogan because I don't think he is. What I'm saying, and you say it yourself in your post is that they've faced completely different things this year in terms of how they were marked.

Its obvious that when anybody is running in on goal that there'll be men close on him. The difference with O'Shea in the two semis was that there was 3 people on him when he was contesting the ball. Brogan, for the most part, has only one guy contesting the ball with him when he goes looking for it. I don't see what's wrong pointing that out when the other poster was wrongly saying otherwise?

I'm not making excuses for O'Shea. I actually prefer Brogan as a player. I'm from Cork so don't have an attachment to either. I was merely pointing out that they faced very different things and that the comparison the other poster made was a red herring.

ProudDUB wrote: »

There is a difference between being double and triple marked and getting a ball and taking on your man and finding more defenders being drawn to you.
    How would Brogan get on at the edge of the square with two or more men on him, with crap ball being kicked in to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

robbiezero wrote: »
    How would Brogan get on at the edge of the square with two or more men on him, with crap ball being kicked in to him.

He would probably get on terribly and be completely ineffective, and not be in the running for an All Star.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote:
    He would probably get on terribly and be completely ineffective, and not be in the running for an All Star.

Did ok in 2011 versus the McGees, double marked and man of the match.

Advertisement