Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia dual rate [18% off Elec & 17% off of Gas]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

guile4582 wrote: »
    signed up end of Oct last year on dual fuel

Then your in a 12 month contract, they may let you leave without a penalty.

As you are still in the discount period then I doubt that you will save a ton. If you switched after you switch then yes you will save.

Also Board Gais have the best deal but it doesn't show up on bonkers.ie because of some regulation rule. Look at the column of the left and see the extras then see the asterix beside the savings

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

I'm on Bord Gais payg for gas and electric .Anyone any idea who does best rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

ted1 wrote: »
    Then your in a 12 month contract, they may let you leave without a penalty.

As you are still in the discount period then I doubt that you will save a ton. If you switched after you switch then yes you will save.

Also Board Gais have the best deal but it doesn't show up on bonkers.ie because of some regulation rule. Look at the column of the left and see the extras then see the asterix beside the savings

do i just organise the switch date myself? i will see out the 12 months, but you know it being Ireland some places require 30 days notice in writing or fax or some draconian stuff

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once out of contract you just tell your new supplier your MPRN/GPRN and current readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

shardylan wrote: »
    I'm on Bord Gais payg for gas and electric .Anyone any idea who does best rate ?

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

• Advertisement

is the Energia price quoted there for new customers only though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I've been with Airtricity since November last year, worst service provider in this country, without question. Have had issues with them since March, took money via direct debit without permission, and then threatened to disconnect our services if we didn't pay off what we owe...

They've now agreed to cancel the contract early. Won't be going back there even if I was given free electricity and gas for the remainder of my life.

My point is, it might be cheaper, but might not be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

My contract is just up and they offered a renewal discount of 12/11% only. Dual fuel. and admitted they know switching is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just off the phone to Energia, Im with them for both, expiring at the end of September. They offered me 4.6c per unit for gas and 14.65c a unit for electricity. I went to bonkers to compare and cant see anything better.
    They also said I will have access to a reward site for deals on shopping etc.. if I stay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just off the phone to Energia, Im with them for both, expiring at the end of September. They offered me 4.6c per unit for gas and 14.65c a unit for electricity. I went to bonkers to compare and cant see anything better.
    They also said I will have access to a reward site for deals on shopping etc.. if I stay

Cool, I'll see if they'll do a similar deal here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

14.65c a unit for electricity. Is this price including VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just a little thing I'd like to mention: I don't work for Energia have any link to them (apart from joining them last week). However, they are one of the only (if not the only) provider to jse, in excess, of 90% renewable sources. Energia actually use 94% renewables and 6% gas.

Airtricity, dubbed as the "environmentally friendly" provider doesn't have that level of renewables. Electric Ireland does have a plan which gives you "100% renewable energy", however it is more expensive than standard rates and more expensive than Energia. Also, the end user doesn't actually get the energy: they only agree to BUY an equal amount of renewable energy.

So, by all means use price as an important factor, absolutely, but it is even better when a lower price is available and it uses renewable sources. We've screwed this planet enough. Even one person more is better than one person less.

That's why I went for Energia. After a forty minute call from Electric Ireland trying to get me to stay and also taking feedback, even they said they can't offer the same level of renewables offered by Energia. They can't deliver such environmentally friendly services, simple as.

Hopefully this information benefits someone. Slag the environment bloke here if you must, but trying to do better for the planet whilst saving money is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

CH3OH wrote: »
    I didnt ask them that. Another phone call in the morning it is

Just a little thing I'd like to mention: I don't work for Energia have any link to them (apart from joining them last week). However, they are one of the only (if not the only) provider to jse, in excess, of 90% renewable sources. Energia actually use 94% renewables and 6% gas.

Airtricity, dubbed as the "environmentally friendly" provider doesn't have that level of renewables. Electric Ireland does have a plan which gives you "100% renewable energy", however it is more expensive than standard rates and more expensive than Energia. Also, the end user doesn't actually get the energy: they only agree to BUY an equal amount of renewable energy.

So, by all means use price as an important factor, absolutely, but it is even better when a lower price is available and it uses renewable sources. We've screwed this planet enough. Even one person more is better than one person less.

That's why I went for Energia. After a forty minute call from Electric Ireland trying to get me to stay and also taking feedback, even they said they can't offer the same level of renewables offered by Energia. They can't deliver such environmentally friendly services, simple as.

Hopefully this information benefits someone. Slag the environment bloke here if you must, but trying to do better for the planet whilst saving money is a no-brainer.

It really doesn't matter who you use. All the electricity goes into a pool and then is used by all.
    If they didn't supply any customers they would still sell their renewable to the grid.
    Also the 94% doesn't seem right, they are part of the Veridian group who own the CCGT plant in Huntstown.

PANDA Power actually Generate more renewable power than they sell. So you should move to them

It really doesn't matter who you use. All the electricity goes into a pool and then is used by all.
    If they didn't supply any customers they would still sell their renewable to the grid.
    Also the 94% doesn't seem right, they are part of the Veridian group who own the CCGT plant in Huntstown.

PANDA Power actually Generate more renewable power than they sell. So you should move to them

Point taken. But, I'll have to research this more accordingly and look at a provider before I cancel.

As for the 94%: https://switcher.ie/gas-electricity/news/energia-comes-out-on-top-for-renewable-energy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Point taken. But, I'll have to research this more accordingly and look at a provider before I cancel.

As for the 94%: https://switcher.ie/gas-electricity/news/energia-comes-out-on-top-for-renewable-energy/

Eirgrid control the national grid. All electricity generated is sold in real time market. When there is shortage, we import from the UK. When there is excess supply, we export to the UK.

Preference is given to renewable energy by Eirgrid. But renewable energy is unreliable, so there has to be back up gas/coal plants. It doesnt matter is Energia own 2000MW, if there is no wind and everything they supply is from gas fired plants.

The site says:
    ear 94% of Energia’s fuel mix was derived from renewable resources, with the firm currently supplying more than 680 Megawatts of renewable energy.

Huntstown is a 774MW station.

The site should talk about MWH as MW is not a quantitive measurement.

i don't care where it comes from or how it gets to me as long as it is the cheapest :)

The site says:
    ear 94% of Energia’s fuel mix was derived from renewable resources, with the firm currently supplying more than 680 Megawatts of renewable energy.

Huntstown is a 774MW station.

The site should talk about MWH as MW is not a quantitive measurement.
    "The recent report found that Energia’s all-island emissions of CO2 in tonnes per megawatt hour (MWh) of electricity supplied was 0.424 in 2012, ahead of the all-island average 0.481, and competing suppliers Airtricity (0.449), Electric Ireland (0.469) and Bord Gáis (0.480)."

5ckifmR.png

eh78pIO.png

2mucbvA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭projektzwoo

How much deposit do Energia take? I think about switching. Would use direct debit and online billing, both gas and elec.

• Advertisement

CH3OH wrote: »

any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

I am also on the Energia dual rate at the moment. Is it worth switching now my 12 month contract is up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I contacted Energia and they said they could not give me the same deal again as my 12 months was up so I am going to switch as I use a good bit of electricity.

According to Bonkers.ie I can save about €150 by moving to Panda Power for Electricity and €160 by moving the gas to Flogas

reni10 wrote: »
    According to Bonkers.ie I can save about €150 by moving to Panda Power for Electricity and €160 by moving the gas to Flogas

So saving €310 per year? Jesus that's good.

mrcheez wrote: »
    So saving €310 per year? Jesus that's good.

That's off the standard rate the discounts have expired. Do not much difference in the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I was with Energia for dual fuel, and went out of contract in March. Did the research via Bonkers in last month, but I had to ring Energia to get their offer. Although there were better deals out there, and a new customer deal with Energia seemed good (but not available to me), what Energia did was backdate the deal to end of contract. This was significant in my case, as Electricity was credited with EUR140, and gas EUR40. Just showed how much extra I was paying when out of contract. Little lesson for all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Does anyone know if anyone does tariffs where you don't have to pay by direct debit? It's a real hassle for self-employed when you don't know if you'll have the money in the bank when the DD goes through. Everything I click on has to be paid by DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just a note to be careful with Energia I almost signed back up for another year as they where quoting me prices ex vat so where bettering anything else I found as those prices where vat inclusive.

tnegun wrote: »
    Just a note to be careful with Energia I almost signed back up for another year as they where quoting me prices ex vat so where bettering anything else I found as those prices where vat inclusive.

I asked them to send me prices with and without VAT (both for my current deal, and what the new 2nd year deal will be), so I can compare accurately when given prices with/without VAT from other providers.

(Unit price as opposed to the percentage discount as it's easier to compare)

To be honest if the savings are only something like €20 or €30 I'll stick with Energia as they've been good so far. If it's a €100 or more saving after changing then I'll probably make the switch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement