Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia dual rate [18% off Elec & 17% off of Gas]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just off the phone to Energia, Im with them for both, expiring at the end of September. They offered me 4.6c per unit for gas and 14.65c a unit for electricity. I went to bonkers to compare and cant see anything better.
    They also said I will have access to a reward site for deals on shopping etc.. if I stay
    CH3OH wrote: »
    14.65c a unit for electricity. Is this price including VAT?

Not sure if anyone has replied to this query yet, so for the record the Energia prices for year 2 are:

GAS: 4.6c (ex VAT) ... 5.22 (inc VAT) (was 4.98 inc VAT for Year 1)

ELEC: 14.65c (ex VAT) ... 16.63 (inc VAT) (was 15.81 inc VAT for Year 1)

Might be good idea for people to post up what other companies are offering here too to make it easier to compare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm surprised there's even one that doesn't require a deposit for non-DD payers actually. They've close to nothing to get the cash out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

mrcheez wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has replied to this query yet, so for the record the Energia prices for year 2 are:

GAS: 4.6c (ex VAT) ... 5.22 (inc VAT) (was 4.98 inc VAT for Year 1)

ELEC: 14.65c (ex VAT) ... 16.63 (inc VAT) (was 15.81 inc VAT for Year 1)

Might be good idea for people to post up what other companies are offering here too to make it easier to compare.

I'm just checking on my fuel prices at the moment. Direct debit, national averages entered.

Based on looking at both bonkers.ie and switcher.ie. This is coming from the smartchoice dual fuel deal on energia you can get better per unit prices as per below with two different energy suppliers. Al prices below include vat.

Energia prices
    Gas 05.22c
    Electricity 16.63c

Gas 04.70c (Flogas) (Both the same) 20% Direct Debit Discount
    Electricy 15.26c (Airtricity) Switcher.ie 1 Year Electricity 20 (Direct Debit & eBill)
    Electricy 15.38c (Bord Gais) Bonkers.ie 16% Discount (Paperless, Direct Debit & Level Pay)

hmm Airtricity have been nothing but a pain whenever I used them so I always avoid.

I don't like Bord Gais level pay stuff, prefer just to pay whatever I used the previous 2 months rather than an estimated average.

Flogas looks good though, might consider them

• Advertisement

My 1-year is up with Energia in a few days. If I want to change do I need to have registered with a new supplier before then, or is it OK to do it a few days after?

My next bill won't be until Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

machalla wrote: »
    I'm just checking on my fuel prices at the moment. Direct debit, national averages entered.

Based on looking at both bonkers.ie and switcher.ie. This is coming from the smartchoice dual fuel deal on energia you can get better per unit prices as per below with two different energy suppliers. Al prices below include vat.

Energia prices
    Gas 05.22c
    Electricity 16.63c

Gas 04.70c (Flogas) (Both the same) 20% Direct Debit Discount
    Electricy 15.26c (Airtricity) Switcher.ie 1 Year Electricity 20 (Direct Debit & eBill)
    Electricy 15.38c (Bord Gais) Bonkers.ie 16% Discount (Paperless, Direct Debit & Level Pay)
    They have different standing charges that need to be accounted for.

My 1-year is up with Energia in a few days. If I want to change do I need to have registered with a new supplier before then, or is it OK to do it a few days after?

I think most of these energy suppliers will be able to do a pro-rata costing on your bill. So if you are switch midway through the month they should only charge for half the month. I think when I switched to Energia originally that was the case.

machalla wrote: »
    I think most of these energy suppliers will be able to do a pro-rata costing on your bill. So if you are switch midway through the month they should only charge for half the month. I think when I switched to Energia originally that was the case.

So I reckon FloGas is looking best for GAS, and Electric Ireland looking best for ELECTRICITY.

Anyone have nightmare stories about either company (in terms of double-charging or bad customer support etc)?

How is their online account management?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muloc

me too. You can change after the year's up I think you only get the discounted rate for the first year.
    Have you tried ringing them to stay on discounted rate?

was thinking of doing this to save me having to switch but maybe other providers are cheaper anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Have we a consensus on Flogas and Elec Ireland?

winter-coming.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

guile4582 wrote: »
    Have we a consensus on Flogas and Elec Ireland?

This says that Airtricity are currently cheapest for Electricity - ( a couple of weeks ago anyway) http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-prices

True. There have been some negative comments about Airticity to deal with on the thread I noticed.

I did ask Energia for a better rate or a matching one but there was no move on that. As such I'll be moving to other suppliers of course.

Ogham wrote: »
    This says that Airtricity are currently cheapest for Electricity - ( a couple of weeks ago anyway) http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-prices

Bonkers says that too? But that because they exclude 100 cash back which makes board Gais cheaper

You couldn't pay me to go back to Airtricity (unless their entire infrastructure has changed in past few years)

Heard on the news that Elec Ireland are giving €30 credit when you switch, makes it even more enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

According to Bonkers.ie Panda Power is the cheapest Electricity provider for me as I have a night rate meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

ted1 wrote: »
    Bonkers says that too? But that because they exclude 100 cash back which makes board Gais cheaper

That page has been updated since http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-prices - and now showing Bord Gais as cheapest because of the 100 euro cashback. Not a massive amount of difference (price wise) between them all really though.

Ogham wrote: »
    That page has been updated since http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-prices - and now showing Bord Gais as cheapest because of the 100 euro cashback. Not a massive amount of difference (price wise) between them all really though.

I'm not a fan of Level Pay when I was with Bord Gais. I prefer to pay the exact amount I use in the 2 months, rather than an annual average. For example if you wanted a lower bill you could use less gas/electricity in the period, but this makes little difference with Level Pay. (also it can get messy when you decide to leave the company and they need to calculate if you've overspent, or underspent and get a nasty surprise if the latter).

What happens when you exhaust all of these "new customer-only" deals, and you decide to return to a company you were with previously?

All the comparison sites seem to be concentrating on new customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You are a new customer if you are not currently with them, it doesn't mean you have never been with them. So one could simply move each year (or the end of each contract) to get the new customer deal from the best provider.

In fact, that is exactly what everyone should be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

i availed of the dual fuel offer with energia last august 2014 and when my contract expired the best deals on offer for me was airtricity for elec and flo gas for gas so i switched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭CH3OH

What happens when you exhaust all of these "new customer-only" deals, and you decide to return to a company you were with previously?

I was with Airtricity for the last year on a 17% discount paying 15.83 cent ( including vat) .
    Rang Airtricity who are frustration to contact.

First I was ringing too early ( 8 days before contact was due to finish).
    Then I rang the day before and all operators were busy.
    Rang the next day and same story but someone did ring me back.
    I was offered the new customer rate of 15.27( including vat)
    So despite some misgivings , I decided to stay with them for another year.

So advice is :
    either switch again or insist on your current provider offering you their best current discount rate.

What all providers hope is that after the discount expires, that you'll just slip on to their current standard rate... and you won't do anything about it.

because you should ALways Be a new customer!! As soon as your discount is up, MOVE

CH3OH wrote: »
    I was with Airtricity for the last year on a 17% discount paying 15.83 cent ( including vat) .
    I was offered the new customer rate of 15.27( including vat)

Hmm has anyone here tried asking Energia for their cheapest "new customer" rate for year 2?

Seems to be called "SaveMe338 Dual Fuel" according to bonkers.ie

Hmm has anyone here tried asking Energia for their cheapest "new customer" rate for year 2?

Seems to be called "SaveMe338 Dual Fuel" according to bonkers.ie

I asked Energia for a cheaper rate but they weren't prepared to offer anything other than access to a promotions web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I was with them since pilot scheme and over the last couple of months they underestimated my readings by almost 300 euro.
    so I got hit for a bill of over 450.
    sling your hook.
    moved over to the new kid on the block panda power,lets hope they dont do the same!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    I was with them since pilot scheme and over the last couple of months they underestimated my readings by almost 300 euro.
    sling your hook.
    moved over to the new kid on the block panda power,lets hope they dont do the same!

This happened to a mate of mine with Bord Gais. I believe the issue is more down to inaccurate estimates provided to them by suppliers rather than the company themselves.

Did you have access to provide the readings yourself? I do this regularly and have had no issues with Energia in this respect (Airtricity on the other hand wouldnt accept my readings, amongst 100 other issues I had with them)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

sling your hook.

So you have been getting free electricity over the last few months. At any point you could have checked the meter yourself and let them know that they were undercharging.

Either way, why shouldn't you pay for what you have used?

sling your hook.
    Why didn't you submit a reading? They even send out a email asking you too that there preparing a bill

They might be in an apartment block where the landlord locks access to the meter (at least that's what happened in my mate's case)

• Advertisement

Have made the switch and should save another €300+ which I'll use toward a new TV to use up even more electricity.

And probably back to Energia in a year...

Advertisement