Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia dual rate [18% off Elec & 17% off of Gas]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

RainyDay wrote: »
    Thanks for the summary. Electric Ireland are quoting me as follows to retain me, provided I sign up for direct debit

I'm a bit confused by how their per-day standing charge relates to the ones you quoted above?

But otherwise, it looks like a good deal, as I'd have to sign up for DD with Energia anyway, and I avoid the hassle/paperwork of switching.

You multiply the standing charge by 365 to compare with annual standing charge.

Wow, this is a good deal ESB is offering you. Do you use lots of Gas & Electricity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

bmm wrote: »
    You multiply the standing charge by 365 to compare with annual standing charge.

Wow, this is a good deal ESB is offering you. Do you use lots of Gas & Electricity?

Thanks for the clarification. No, we wouldn't be particularly huge users.

Last 12 months elec bills;
    EUR 130.30
    EUR 165.61
    EUR 225.80
    EUR 132.82
    EUR 141.05
    EUR 119.87
    EUR 114.92

Last 12 months gas bills;
    EUR 102.49
    EUR 106.28
    EUR 235.64
    EUR 322.58
    EUR 198.73
    EUR 53.28
    EUR 44.56

There didn't seem to be any analysis of my usage in coming up with that offer, the only question was whether I was prepared to sign up for DD or not.

Energia rep - can you beat this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

Thanks for the summary. Electric Ireland are quoting me as follows to retain me, provided I sign up for direct debit

How long is that discount rate valid for? 12 months?

Also, are you sure that is the including VAT price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I'm a bit confused by how their per-day standing charge relates to the ones you quoted above?

But otherwise, it looks like a good deal, as I'd have to sign up for DD with Energia anyway, and I avoid the hassle/paperwork of switching.

That unit price probably excludes vat - Energia figures shown above include vat @ 13.5%

Ogham wrote: »
    That unit price probably excludes vat - Energia figures shown above include vat @ 13.5%

Almost certainly...multiply the quoted rates by 1.135 and you get exactly the same figures as stated above. Cheeky tricks by ESB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I'm not with any company at the moment, as I'm about to move into new house, I'm looking for both gas/elect. Who is the best to go with??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Electricity:
    14.97 cent
    33.70 per day standing charge

Gas:
    4.661 cent
    22.14 per day standing charge

As others mentioned these companies always quote prices without VAT.

Bord Gais did the same when I spoke to them, thought they were giving me an excellent deal :)

Make sure to ask them for the price incl VAT.

dar100 wrote: »
    I'm not with any company at the moment, as I'm about to move into new house, I'm looking for both gas/elect. Who is the best to go with??

following this thread aught to give you a good idea :)

All of these quotes are based on new customers (even the BG one I quoted earlier... only thing is the standing charge would be about €10 cheaper for new customers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

from what i can gather, Energia are offering the best deal for both, or am I mistaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

J@yK@y wrote: »
    How long is that discount rate valid for? 12 months?
    I don't think there was any time limit on the discount.
    Also, are you sure that is the including VAT price?
    Almost certainly...multiply the quoted rates by 1.135 and you get exactly the same figures as stated above. Cheeky tricks by ESB?
    Thanks for flagging this up - seems very cheeky to me. I was fairly disgusted with ESB, until...
    mrcheez wrote: »
    As others mentioned these companies always quote prices without VAT.

Bord Gais did the same when I spoke to them, thought they were giving me an excellent deal :)

Make sure to ask them for the price incl VAT.
    Maybe they are all up to it - is it not illegal to quote ex-vat prices to a consumer.

• Advertisement

from what i can gather, Energia are offering the best deal for both, or am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken

The Bord Gas new customer deal is 10% off GAS and 10% off Electricity. If you sign up for 2 years you also get 4000 Tesco club card points. If you already shop in Tesco and make use of these club card points I dont think this is a bad deal, however I am assuming the 10%/10% discount lasts 2 years. I think I would be swayed to sign up for a discount for 2 years as I will most likely forget to change in a years time.

Energia is the cheapest over 1 year however perhaps a 2 year discount would suit some people better??

• Company Representative Posts: 43 Verified rep Energia Rep

Hi folks

The best way to compare your usage and find the best deal for you is on Bonkers or Uswitch. We're not allowed to use this forum to promote our offers but you'll see the results for yourselves on the comparison websites.

The reason unit rates are usually quoted ex VAT is because that's how they appear on your bill and then VAT is added after.

The Bord Gas new customer deal is 10% off GAS and 10% off Electricity. If you sign up for 2 years you also get 4000 Tesco club card points. If you already shop in Tesco and make use of these club card points I dont think this is a bad deal, however I am assuming the 10%/10% discount lasts 2 years. I think I would be swayed to sign up for a discount for 2 years as I will most likely forget to change in a years time.

Energia is the cheapest over 1 year however perhaps a 2 year discount would suit some people better??

10% Discount is for year 1 - then it drops to 5%
    Don't forget - as with all of these deals - none of the prices are fixed. A 1 year discount still means the price can go up before the year is up.

Hi folks

The best way to compare your usage and find the best deal for you is on Bonkers or Uswitch. We're not allowed to use this forum to promote our offers but you'll see the results for yourselves on the comparison websites.

The reason unit rates are usually quoted ex VAT is because that's how they appear on your bill and then VAT is added after.

cheers, found the uswitch site actually a little clearer.

Great so I'll save two-fiddy going with Energia ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Switched to Energia last night from Bord Gais, very happy with the new rates. Thanks OP

10% Discount is for year 1 - then it drops to 5%
    Don't forget - as with all of these deals - none of the prices are fixed. A 1 year discount still means the price can go up before the year is up.

Ah! So not such a good deal at all! In fact you would be locking yourself into a 2 year contract where after one year you may only have a 5% discount where there could be discounts of 15%+ available.

I guess I would be better off moving to Energia and then moving again in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I switched to Energia but one thing I miss is the email notification with bill amount I used to get from Airtricity. Energia just tell me I got a bill so if I want to see how much it is I got to log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Hi,

Ok i tried uswitch and selected urban and average usage (even though i use more). However it still says that airtricity are the cheapest for me, then gives me energia prices as next best but 12 euros more. Can anyone tell me is energia price including the discount, to me it looks like it is - here are the results.

You currently spend €1870.97 a year on gas and electricity

Most popular!
    Energia
    SmartChoice Dual Fuel (Direct Debit & Online Billing)
    Use promotion code SAVEME to avail of discount
    Year 1 Discount - 18% off electricity & 17% off gas
    12 month contract
    Online account management necessary
    Direct Debit payment mandatory
    Cancellation fee of €50.00 applies
    Offer ends 31st August 2014
    More info…

€12.55
    more a year
    €1883.52
    annual cost
    How is this calculated?
    Terms & conditions

Kind Regards
    Fergal.

fergald wrote: »
    Hi,

Ok i tried uswitch and selected urban and average usage (even though i use more). However it still says that airtricity are the cheapest for me, then gives me energia prices as next best but 12 euros more. Can anyone tell me is energia price including the discount, to me it looks like it is - here are the results.

You currently spend €1870.97 a year on gas and electricity

Most popular!
    Energia
    SmartChoice Dual Fuel (Direct Debit & Online Billing)
    Use promotion code SAVEME to avail of discount
    Year 1 Discount - 18% off electricity & 17% off gas
    12 month contract
    Online account management necessary
    Direct Debit payment mandatory
    Cancellation fee of €50.00 applies
    Offer ends 31st August 2014
    More info…

€12.55
    more a year
    €1883.52
    annual cost
    How is this calculated?
    Terms & conditions

Kind Regards
    Fergal.

What Airtricity plan did you enter to get that 1870.97 figure as your current charge?

• Advertisement

update:

tried it on bonkers.ie and it comes back with 13% savings over the year.

update:

tried it on bonkers.ie and it comes back with 13% savings over the year.

I think you entered an old plan for Airtricity that no longer exists (Uswitch should remove those expired plans from their system) Energia definitely teh cheapest with that discount code . http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

Hi,

Ok used bonkers.ie and got a saving of 278 euro. Very confusing though and when i rang sse to see if i could get discount she gave me 12% on both fuels. However the rate i got for bonkers.ie was still better for energia.

sse airtricity with reduction now but i think this excludes vat per unit .15709 and for gas .0463 energia is .15.81 and .499 including VAT.

do these numbers sound right.

Kind Regards
    Fergal.

Hi,

Ok used bonkers.ie and got a saving of 278 euro. Very confusing though and when i rang sse to see if i could get discount she gave me 12% on both fuels. However the rate i got for bonkers.ie was still better for energia.

sse airtricity with reduction now but i think this excludes vat per unit .15709 and for gas .0463 energia is .15.81 and .499 including VAT.

do these numbers sound right.

Kind Regards
    Fergal.

Energia is the cheapest for both fuels even without that discount code. Sign up before Sunday when the code expires (they might extend it but don't rely on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

Anyone have an issue entering the name of bank for the payment details, have put in AIB so many different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

aomh wrote: »
    Anyone have an issue entering the name of bank for the payment details, have put in AIB so many different ways

Did you hit the "check" button after entering the IBAN etc?

Can take around 30 seconds, but it should prefill the fields for you

Incidentally I see on the conditions for this offer that you need to register on their website after signing up.

"Online account management necessary"

Are all the instructions in the welcome pack? Or do i need to be registering on the site now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

only switched to energia today with a saving maybe 793 euro over a year for business
    cheaper all round and monthly billing to avoid big bills .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

mrcheez wrote: »
    Did you hit the "check" button after entering the IBAN etc?

Can take around 30 seconds, but it should prefill the fields for you

Yeah, IBAN# is ok, BIC is ok, Name is ok, put in bank name and then check, after checking go to next step and I get an error to check my bank details but none of them are highlighted

Advertisement