Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ED E wrote: »
    Thats the same as everywhere, copper gets replaced as it fails for the most part. They'll probably just have a lot of faults in the first few months.

What a great delivery attitude they have forced upon us then . We didnt form these opinions un-aided , I suspect that ED E is correct as the line faults will be many . The degredation that exists on the DF lines is laughable . Pre- preperation for an area hasnt come into theyre thought process it seems. the usual banter from Eircom , make big publicity , lots of noise and attention , sweep the complaints under the carpet and ban those weho draw attention to the issues from support forums . They have no clue . It is evident they have tried to do something about poor CX delivery , Ultimately the day will come when eircom curls up its toenails . Not a question of if but when for me . XXX OOO Love you eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭BandMember

Thats the same as everywhere, copper gets replaced as it fails for the most part. They'll probably just have a lot of faults in the first few months.

Well, that's just ridiclous!! They might as well just say "yeah, we can provide you with a broadband service but you're going to have nothing but faults and problems with it.....". :confused:

If they know in advance that the house and landline are ancient, would they not just replace the line when installing the broadband? You know, the logical and most cost efficient option..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

BandMember wrote: »
    Well, that's just ridiclous!! They might as well just say "yeah, we can provide you with a broadband service but you're going to have nothing but faults and problems with it.....". :confused:

If they know in advance that the house and landline are ancient, would they not just replace the line when installing the broadband? You know, the logical and most cost efficient option..... :rolleyes:

Words that make loud fog horn sounds in the Ericom offices :- Cost efficient , Logical, Quality service.......

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, thats not what I'm saying.

The lines are currently ONLY used for voice and maybe IDSN/Diallup. Voice will run over two cans and a bit of string, DSL is far more sensitive. This means there will have been plenty of undetected non voice spectrum issues over the years that people wont have noticed and reported. These will "raise their heads" once the DSLAMs are commissioned and people start using the connections. This is normal for any Voice -> Voice & Data transition. Happens anywhere an old exchange gets upgraded. Its not specifically an eircom problem.

Some lines, especially the more recent provides will likely be fine where as some older homes will have issues, especially ones that used bell or alarm wire internally.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Because replacing a line is incredibly expensive task and the reality is that most lines are fine and won't have errors. Replacing a line certainly isn't the most cost efficient option, not up front!

What you have to understand is that Eircom are doing the low hanging fruit first.

It is relatively quick, easy and cheap for Eircom to switch on VDSL on a line (I believe about €200 per line) and most people will be delighted with the resulting big increase in speed they get.

Only a very small percentage of lines (probably well less then 5%) will have so many errors that they need replacing. Replacing such lines will likely cost thousands and more importantly tie up a lot of staff hours.

It just doesn't make sense for Eircom to slow down the rollout of VDSL to the majority of people who will see massive improvements, in order to fix the small minority of bad lines.

Of course once they finish these low hanging fruit, they absolutely should turn their attention back to fixing up these lines. However if you are replacing cable, then you are probably better off replacing them with FTTH while your at it.

Which is why Eircom now seems to be turning it's attention to rolling out FTTH and why I think we will increasingly see Eircom use FTTH as the solution to bad lines and lines that are too long.

But all of this just takes time and I'm afraid people will just have to be patient, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Delboy5 wrote: »
    My Exchange went live last wednesday, got connected yesterday, 18 down and 5 up, download a slight improvement on what i had, upload a big improvement...

What speed were you getting before you upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭BandMember

No, thats not what I'm saying.

The lines are currently ONLY used for voice and maybe IDSN/Diallup. Voice will run over two cans and a bit of string, DSL is far more sensitive. This means there will have been plenty of undetected non voice spectrum issues over the years that people wont have noticed and reported. These will "raise their heads" once the DSLAMs are commissioned and people start using the connections. This is normal for any Voice -> Voice & Data transition. Happens anywhere an old exchange gets upgraded. Its not specifically an eircom problem.

Some lines, especially the more recent provides will likely be fine where as some older homes will have issues, especially ones that used bell or alarm wire internally.
    bk wrote: »
    Because replacing a line is incredibly expensive task and the reality is that most lines are fine and won't have errors. Replacing a line certainly isn't the most cost efficient option, not up front!

What you have to understand is that Eircom are doing the low hanging fruit first.

It is relatively quick, easy and cheap for Eircom to switch on VDSL on a line (I believe about €200 per line) and most people will be delighted with the resulting big increase in speed they get.

Only a very small percentage of lines (probably well less then 5%) will have so many errors that they need replacing. Replacing such lines will likely cost thousands and more importantly tie up a lot of staff hours.

It just doesn't make sense for Eircom to slow down the rollout of VDSL to the majority of people who will see massive improvements, in order to fix the small minority of bad lines.

Of course once they finish these low hanging fruit, they absolutely should turn their attention back to fixing up these lines. However if you are replacing cable, then you are probably better off replacing them with FTTH while your at it.

Which is why Eircom now seems to be turning it's attention to rolling out FTTH and why I think we will increasingly see Eircom use FTTH as the solution to bad lines and lines that are too long.

But all of this just takes time and I'm afraid people will just have to be patient, sorry.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I suppose the area that I am specifically thinking of has an exchange which has never been upgraded or modernised (I think it can just about manage dial up) and has a lot of old houses with old lines so I can see plenty of potential problems ahead. I just hope that Eircom won't hesitate in fixing them rather than just taking a "Ah sure, they've got broadband now, they're grand" atttiude, you know?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks guys for the feedback. I suppose the area that I am specifically thinking of has an exchange which has never been upgraded or modernised (I think it can just about manage dial up) and has a lot of old houses with old lines so I can see plenty of potential problems ahead. I just hope that Eircom won't hesitate in fixing them rather than just taking a "Ah sure, they've got broadband now, they're grand" atttiude, you know?

I know what you mean about the "your grand" attitude that you talk about and you are absolutely right to be worried about it, it happens far too often here in Ireland.

However I do believe we are quickly reaching a tipping point where the cost of maintaining such crappy old copper lines is fast approaching a point where it becomes economically better for Eircom to spend the money on replacing those lines with Fiber and reap the benefits of vastly lower maintenance costs of fiber.

I believe that is why Eircom announced the news that they are going to replace 300,000 of the most rural lines with FTTH, pure economics.

Also the National Broadband Plan should come into play here. It is supposed to guanrantee at minimum 30Mb/s to every person in Ireland. So that should help subsidise repairs or even complete replacements with fiber to lines like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

A query to Eircom confirmed that my line now qualifies for eFibre - but - due to the distance of my line from the cabinet the max speed available is "up to" 15Mb - the approximate distance is 1500m as lines from the exchange are not laid "as the crow flies".

My current down / up is 6.6 / 0.41 - courtesy Samknows reporting.

Question is (and has probably been asked before - so apologies) - is efibre likely to give me a much better (solid) performance than what I've got at the moment (given the "up to" 15Mb quote) and when vectoring is deployed will it be greatly improved (or not at all)

Thanks for opinions!

Hibrasil wrote: »
    A query to Eircom confirmed that my line now qualifies for eFibre - but - due to the distance of my line from the cabinet the max speed available is "up to" 15Mb - the approximate distance is 1500m as lines from the exchange are not laid "as the crow flies".

Question is (and has probably been asked before - so apologies) - is efibre likely to give me a much better (solid) performance than what I've got at the moment (given the "up to" 15Mb quote) and when vectoring is deployed will it be greatly improved (or not at all)

Thanks for opinions!
    I would go for it. As far as I know the speed quoted for vdsl is mostly what you will get. The upload will probably be much higher than you currently have.

• Advertisement

Hibrasil wrote: »

Thanks for opinions!

You'll get at least 12_1, if not more. Lower latency. Pricing is similar so definitely worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

im not sure if anybody in this thread knows anything about my question but i am due to be upgraded to efibre next week and the master socket in my house is the old one with only one port in it designed for a telephone, when the engineer arrives to the house to install the new faceplate will he have any issues with my socket

im not sure if anybody in this thread knows anything about my question but i am due to be upgraded to efibre next week and the master socket in my house is the old one with only one port in it designed for a telephone, when the engineer arrives to the house to install the new faceplate will he have any issues with my socket

Nope, he just swaps it for a new one, they use the same mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

My exchange is due to go live on the 29th July. I am about 2100 mts from the exchange and when I put my phone no into the line checker at http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/# it comes back with a result saying " Your home is not in an eFibre area"
    If I put in my neighbour's phone no who is about 6 Or 700 mts nearer the exch than I am the result is "Great news! Your home is eFibre enabled" I know that I am probably too far from the exchange to get any decent speed but at the moment the exchange is only capable of 7Mb/s but I'm wondering what would be the chances of eircom increasing the distance that the service is available. Even if I could only get 15 or 20Mb/s it would be better than what I have now.

pbarr wrote: »
    the exchange is only capable of 7Mb/s

Thats an old ADSL1 service unit. If they throw in a few ADSL2+ racks then you should get 12-15Mb with the existing service. Still rubbish upload though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

pbarr wrote: »
    Even if I could only get 15 or 20Mb/s it would be better than what I have now.

I'm 1500 metres from the exchange and 12mb is the best speed I can expect with eFibre.
    At your distance from the exchange there is only a slim chance that a 7mb efibre profile might work.
    You would probably do better on ADSL2+ as ED E has already said.

My exchange is due to go live on the 29/06, got a call from Vodafone today asking if I would like to order it when it is available. She said an engineer would be out sometime around the 29th to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

guil wrote: »
    My exchange is due to go live on the 29/06, got a call from Vodafone today asking if I would like to order it when it is available. She said an engineer would be out sometime around the 29th to install.

Mine's the same. Going live 29th but they keep just telling me to ring them on or after the 29th.

I noticed on My Vodafone 2 weeks ago tho that I could order fibre so I did. Still pending tho, wonder why :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Thats an old ADSL1 service unit. If they throw in a few ADSL2+ racks then you should get 12-15Mb with the existing service. Still rubbish upload though.

Do you know that this has happened in many exchanges? Is it something Eircom are actively doing or is there a criteria for it? Is it also possible that they would only port over Eircom customers and not others?

I'm on ADSL1 @ 2.5Km and live in hope that ADSL2 may be installed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

MBSnr wrote: »
    Do you know that this has happened in many exchanges? Is it something Eircom are actively doing or is there a criteria for it? Is it also possible that they would only port over Eircom customers and not others?

I'm on ADSL1 @ 2.5Km and live in hope that ADSL2 may be installed.....

Efibre launching in my exchange on July 29th, Adsl2 was only setup on May 31st so it does seem to be happening, efibre wont benefit me at 1900m away.. I rang Sky to tell them Adsl2 was now available they said i couldn't go any higher then 6mb so long story short i switched to eircom now getting 11mb...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Efibre launching in my exchange on July 29th, Adsl2 was only setup on May 31st so it does seem to be happening, efibre wont benefit me at 1900m away.. I rang Sky to tell them Adsl2 was now available they said i couldn't go any higher then 6mb so long story short i switched to eircom now getting 11mb...

So when an exchange is first upgraded to adsl2+ the space is reserved for Eircom customers only?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

tuxy wrote: »
    So when an exchange is first upgraded to adsl2+ the space is reserved for Eircom customers only?

I'm not sure, you could be right. i just know the sky rep i was talking to tested my line and it came back at 6mb, rang eircom straight away and they said i could be bumped up to a 12mb profile.. Maybe a sneaky tactic to lure customers back to them, but to be honest i'm not bothered i get the fist 6 months for 25 euro so there's a lot of savings there and the speed so far is steady 24/7...

I doubt it lads. I got switched over to ADSL2+ on Vodafone as soon as it went live in my area. From 6mb to 16mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

I just got efibre and right now i am getting 48down and 14 up which i am really happy with, i am connected directly to the exchange so there is no vectoring, when they upgrade the exchanges for vectoring what speeds should i expect?

I just got efibre and right now i am getting 48down and 14 up which i am really happy with, i am connected directly to the exchange so there is no vectoring, when they upgrade the exchanges for vectoring what speeds should i expect?

That was with you having a line attenuation of 14.7 on ADSL2? Nice

I have 13db on mine so hopefully I'll expect about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

small village with exchange on one end and cabinets on other, we've got efibre now and eircoms site is saying so as well but states max line speed as 7.

Getting 15 now off Vodafone and the same from eircom before changing to Vodafone.

Going to give them a call but looking for the truth so will start here.

Varik wrote: »
    small village with exchange on one end and cabinets on other, we've got efibre now and eircoms site is saying so as well but states max line speed as 7.

Getting 15 now off Vodafone and the same from eircom before changing to Vodafone.

Going to give them a call but looking for the truth so will start here.

What are you asking exactly?

What speed should you expect or?

tuxy wrote: »

Nope, that'd be illegal.

Sky just hadn't updated their database.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Nollog

I've been fobbed around by Sky as they try desperately to connect me since July first here.

This is their claim (from an email yesterday)
    At this stage we would usually have an activation date regarding the Broadband but at the moment we are currently having a system issue which is causing Broadband orders to be delayed and activation dates delayed in being generated also. This has been raised as an issue to be resolved asap and once it is resolved the Broadband order should progress as normal.
    Regarding this I apologise for the delay to the broadband going active and we are hopeful we will have an update on this towards the end of the week.

Might come into play for the above I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I've been fobbed around by Sky as they try desperately to connect me since July first here.

This is their claim (from an email yesterday)

Might come into play for the above I guess.

I think Sky aren't having much success with their system of install, they insist that their own installers do the in-house (Sierra) and that KN activate the line by doing the cab work for Eircom. This means the line never gets tested as this can only be done from the cab with the voltage (dial tone) removed. It's a stupid system that's causing problems for the customer that everyone ends up blaming everyone else, it should be Eircom or KN doing the lot and testing as they go.

Advertisement