Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Saipanne wrote: »
    You're just making inferences and jumping to conclusions. I think the fight was close, I just don't buy the narrative that's floating out there that Mendes was dominating until McGregor magically escaped and finished him. That's not the fight that I was watching.

Anyway, you seem to be getting quite caught up in my posts, so how about we cool off for a while?

How dare I use evidence and reasoning to jump to conclusions. Nobody said Chad was dominating, Chad was in control on the ground McGregor was in Control on the feet, Mcgregor didn't magically escape, he used skill,awareness and technique to be able to think a step ahead and It payed off. If that's not the fight you were watching then you certainly were watching the wrong one.

If you need to cool off then cool off, I'll be here If you want to address any of my points or have a discussion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As a person, i like Frankie Edgar! I hope he gets his shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Who doesn't? I want Aldo first, fear that Frankie would decision Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I would like him to fight Aldo and put that to bed.

After to move to 155. I think he is working hard enough without having the strain of such a big weight cut to add to it.

If Edgar wants to fight him they can fight at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I would like him to fight Aldo and put that to bed.

After to move to 155. I think he is working hard enough without having the strain of such a big weight cut to add to it.

If Edgar wants to fight him they can fight at 155.
    No way does he win the belt then ditch 145.

No way does he win the belt then ditch 145.

I agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

How dare I use evidence and reasoning to jump to conclusions. Nobody said Chad was dominating, Chad was in control on the ground McGregor was in Control on the feet, Mcgregor didn't magically escape, he used skill,awareness and technique to be able to think a step ahead and It payed off. If that's not the fight you were watching then you certainly were watching the wrong one.

If you need to cool off then cool off, I'll be here If you want to address any of my points or have a discussion :)

If Chad was in control on the ground he wouldn't have got hit with so many elbows. He was able to take Conor down but I wouldn't say he was in control as he didn't do a whole lot when they were on the ground. He got hit as many times as he hit Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It'll be a year plus before McGregor fights another wrestler barring any pullouts.
    Fight Aldo in 5/6 months. If that's anyway a competitive fight, they're having a rematch another 5/6 months later and then it's another few months before McGregor fights after that.

Who knows what the FW division looks like then.

Who's the champ and who are the challengers?
    Will McGregor want to stay in the division?
    If Holloway is still in the top 5 and McGregor is staying at FW they do the rematch, whether that is a title shot for Holloway or just a fight between two contenders.

It'll be a long time before Edgar or Mendes get another shot at the title or McGregor without injuries and pullouts happening.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    If Chad was in control on the ground he wouldn't have got hit with so many elbows. He was able to take Conor down but I wouldn't say he was in control as he didn't do a whole lot when they were on the ground. He got hit as many times as he hit Conor

Ah jaysus...ok. You're right. Mendes did nothing on the ground. Conor's elbows were devastating, truly damaged Mendes to the point where he couldn't take anymore and had to stand up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I read that as "I dislike Frankie Edgar! I hope he gets shot".

Thought it was harsh enough.:pac:

Ah jaysus...ok. You're right. Mendes did nothing on the ground. Conor's elbows were devastating, truly damaged Mendes to the point where he couldn't take anymore and had to stand up.

Where did I say any of that? Mendes tried & failed to make Conor submit.
    Conor had a bigger say in what was happening on the ground than Chad had when they were standing

Where did I say any of that? Mendes tried & failed to make Conor submit.
    Conor had a bigger say in what was happening on the ground than Chad had when they were standing

It was sarcasm, I was being a dickhead because I'm fed up arguing the same points.

It was sarcasm, I was being a dickhead because I'm fed up arguing the same points.

No ones arguing with you. You have your view on the fight & others have their view on it, doesn't mean any ones right or wrong

Someone said earlier he didn't do a lot on the ground this was my reply
    Wore McGregor out, disrupted his breathing, busted him open landed several hard elbows, controlled the fight, opened up the cut some more, exposed McGregor's take down defence, scored several points. Basically made life difficult for his opponent.

As for Conor hitting as many elbows has Chad did on the ground, well I would suggest you rewatch the fight and get out your calculator.

No ones arguing with you. You have your view on the fight & others have their view on it, doesn't mean any ones right or wrong

Arguing the points Is just an expression, I'm fed up making the same points would have been better to say I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yes, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

http://www.balls.ie/mma/frankie-edgar-bashes-conor-mcgregor-in-twitter-call-out/301352

Hard not to like Frankie! I can see this scenario. McGregor beats Aldo Jan 2nd.
    Dana reneges on his word and we have McGregor Edgar @ UFC 200 next July in Las Vegas :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

darced wrote: »

You cant just group all grappling in with BJJ, his wrestling is clearly better and im not arguing that, but the only success Chad had on the ground was with elbows sitting in closed guard, McGregor quickly shut him down any time he tried to do anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I think Cathal gets a lot of undue criticism. I think he's earned his place in the UFC and can't begrudge him that.

However, his article in the Mirror today. Wow....

"I didn’t have the energy I usually have".

On no planet would I say Cathal is known for his 'energy' in a fight.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/cathal-pendred-conor-mcgregors-win-6080112

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cathal has horrible horrible hands. I'm sorry, I'm a fan of his and I love his heart but he needs to do whatever Gunni has been doing.

He needs a boxing coach and 4-6 months of doing nothing but striking. John Kavanagh needs to hit him with a chair any time he thinks about doing anything but striking. He has no "route to victory"... nothing scary for the top tier guys beyond muscling them up against the fence and hoping the judges are impressed by that.

His kicks weren't awful in the previous fight but his hands... beyond terrible. Sorry, but they are. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The respect and admiration McGregor showed to Chad after the fight was testament to just how hard this fight was, before the fight Conor said Chad Is a white belt, he can't strike (closes his eyes and hopes for the best) Is a novice wrestler etc etc after the fight he said Chad is the best striker in the division next to Conor and he said "Chad is definitely the best wrestler in the division".

That Is a big change in opinion, McGregor know's that was a huge win and If he ever faces Chad again It will be a lot more difficult. About the comparison of a near end, It's completely different to a goal in football etc. Chad had a submission locked In and McGregor was tapping in a matter of seconds If McGregor had not acted extremely smart and intelligently to avoid It. To use a football example It's similar to a goalkeeper pulling off a miraculous save in the last minute to win his team the match.

That was pretty obvious pre fight trash talk.

He hardly honestly believed Chad was a novice wrestler and couldn't strike at all with that amount of ko's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You're just not understanding the point I am making at all are you? I am not trying to take anything away from McGregor's win, I am not trying to say Chad should have won, I am not trying to say Mcgregor didn't deserve to win. I am not bad mouthing Mcgregor In anyway shape or form so really you should have no beef with me as that seems to be the only thing you are interested In.

The point I am making Is that McGregor did not dominate this fight,It was not an easy Fight, Chad was not ineffective on the ground and McGregor was indeed very tired when the fight was over.

This was the toughest fight of McGregor's life, he got taken down 4 times and after the 1st round he looked lost for idea's, when Chad was on top Of him dropping elbows he was looking at the ref asking to be stood up, (not the eye incident) that suggest's he was not having a fun time.

The respect and admiration McGregor showed to Chad after the fight was testament to just how hard this fight was, before the fight Conor said Chad Is a white belt, he can't strike (closes his eyes and hopes for the best) Is a novice wrestler etc etc after the fight he said Chad is the best striker in the division next to Conor and he said "Chad is definitely the best wrestler in the division".

That Is a big change in opinion, McGregor know's that was a huge win and If he ever faces Chad again It will be a lot more difficult. About the comparison of a near end, It's completely different to a goal in football etc. Chad had a submission locked In and McGregor was tapping in a matter of seconds If McGregor had not acted extremely smart and intelligently to avoid It. To use a football example It's similar to a goalkeeper pulling off a miraculous save in the last minute to win his team the match.

McGregor deserved the win, he was the better man on the night, but he did NOT dominate that fight and It was In no way easy for him so please stop.

Did he say second best striker or second hardest hitter? The latter could be correct, definitely not the former. Chad’s striking record is deceiving, if you look closely he KOs guys who are predominantly grapplers, not elite strikers.

As John Kavanagh said he knows enough striking to get himself into trouble against the top tier strikers. I’d love to see him against Holloway if he wins his next fight.

Mendes stood toe to toe with Aldo for 5 rounds and wobbled him twice, that should tell you enough about his striking.

Mendes stood toe to toe with Aldo for 5 rounds and wobbled him twice, that should tell you enough about his striking.

Aldo isn’t the finisher he used to be, surviving 5 rounds with him is a pretty regular occurrence for the last 5 years.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Aldo isn’t the finisher he used to be, surviving 5 rounds with him is a pretty regular occurrence for the last 5 years.

How about knocking him down once and wobbling him another time? Nobodies been that aggressive against Aldo either.

Lamas is no slouch standing and he was made light work of.

How about knocking him down once and wobbling him another time? Nobodies been that aggressive against Aldo either.

Lamas is no slouch standing and he was made light work of.

Point to me in the UFC a top level striker Mendes has KO’d or soundly beaten on their feet.

If he didn’t have his one punch power he wouldn’t be even near the conversation of being an elite striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Point to me in the UFC a top level striker Mendes has KO’d or soundly beaten on their feet.

If he didn’t have his one punch power he wouldn’t be even near the conversation of being an elite striker.

Irrelevant. He's only fought 2 - Aldo who he came closest to beating out of the best FW can offer, and McGregor where he was beaten soundly on the feet but took the fight on 2 weeks notice. Fwiw Lamas is arguably in the top 5 strikers at FW, easily top 10.

I don't get your argument, do you really believe the fluff coming out of Kavanagh/McG's mouth about Chad? Because I doubt think even they believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I'm dreading the McGregor vs Aldo thread

Advertisement