Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Exactly, this was his only fight so far this year and he probably won't fight again in 2015 due to his injuries. $59k is not that much when you consider his training expenses, the cost of setting up camps, etc.

In fairness, at least he got the $50k bonus which goes some way to reward him for the spectacle of a fight that he and Lawlor put on.

Add in tax and all of a sudden its withered down even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,095 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Was he ripped off or cheated? If not then that is what he deserves. The performance shouldn't come into it. They have FOTN for that.

Nobody gets paid for training. You get paid for your fight.

There you have it, 59k for 20 minutes. If he fought for a few hours he would make a fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Davei141 wrote: »
    Hes just a boxing troll.

Boring and one dimensional... just like boxing!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

walshb wrote: »
    Was he ripped off or cheated? If not then that is what he deserves. The performance shouldn't come into it. They have FOTN for that.

He was neither ripped off nor cheated, just not rewarded correctly given his position on the card and the fact that he and Lawlor put on the fight of the year. Mendes was the challenger in a title fight, he got 8 times more than MacDonald!
    walshb wrote: »
    Nobody gets paid for training. You get paid for your fight.

The level of title challenger in the UFC is the highest level possible in MMA, aside from being the champion obviously. For guys at that level to make very little profit in a year following training expenses is criminal, particularly when they perform like MacDonald did on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Brazilian jiu Jitsu, Japanese Jiu Jitsu and "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" do not exist. Ok, I'll inform the world.
    You said japanese, gracie, and Brazilian BJJ. Those aren't styles of BJJ, that was my point. You explained the typo afterwards, so thats fair enough.
    The only similarity Is that you said Gracie Jiu Jitsu is only for marketing after Marty had just made that statement, where as before Marty came along you said you did not understand It...
    I think you've misunderstood what I was asking. Hense the confusing posts on both sides

I was asking the OP was what he meant by Gracie style BJJ, in relation to Conor, that's all. I didn't need Marty to explain GJJ marketing (something they do quite well imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I have a feeling Rory will be making a few more dollars in the years to come. He's an excellent talent and will go far, might even become champion if that bastard Lawler decides to retire :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Davei141 wrote: »
    Hes just a boxing troll.

That is out of order, His opinion is he got the contract he agreed to and that is a fact

The bonuses are there for brilliant fights

Boxers have died fighting for less so it's a silly debate really, you could argue that the overall wages are not good enough but the fact of the matter is they are what they are and they get what is agreed.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    That is out of order, His opinion is he got the contract he agreed to and that is a fact

The bonuses are there for brilliant fights

Boxers have died fighting for less so it's a silly debate really, you could argue that the overall wages are not good enough but the fact of the matter is they are what they are and they get what is agreed.

Being they are what they are and they get what is agreed is not an argument against whether they deserve more or less. Most MMA fighters don't exactly have much leverage with the UFC so get screwed. Boxers that have died for less i doubt you would have walshb going on saying he was paid what he deserved, dying in the ring for peanuts.

• Advertisement

Just watched it again with this commentary synced up to it. Interesting to hear as a complete MMA newbie. I didn't realise how bad Conor's ground game was.

Just watched it again with this commentary synced up to it. Interesting to hear as a complete MMA newbie. I didn't realise how bad Conor's ground game was.

Bad In what sense exactly?

How was it bad? What did Mendes actually do with all that time on the ground?

Saipanne wrote: »
    How was it bad? What did Mendes actually do with all that time on the ground?

Wore McGregor out, disrupted his breathing, busted him open landed several hard elbows, controlled the fight, opened up the cut some more, exposed McGregor's take down defence, scored several points. Basically made life difficult for his opponent.

Well according to the people commentating on that, McGregor couldn't defend the takedowns very well. He went to ground too easily. Those elbows were doing a ton of damage. Honestly, I'm just parroting what those guys said. They were a lot more critical on Conor than Joe Rogan was. I'd have to watch it again to be more precise. Skip to 9:30.

Boxing is one of the oldest and most established sports on earth. Many many get in the ring for a lot less than what McDonald got into the ring for, and every bit as dangerous, if not more so. Outside of MMA circles nobody knows who he is. The argument of paying expenses is nonsense. That's life. We all have to pay expenses. 59 k for a nobody in the world of sport for 20 minutes work is decent enough. If and when he becomes a name and markets himself accordingly and creates a following then he may well deserve bigger bucks, and I would not in the slightest begrudge him that. They bloody well earn it.

Overall point stands. He shouldn't be getting extra, or automatically deserve extra because he gets bloodied up!

Maybe the forum could get rid of the whole troll nonsense when differing opinions are aired. It's stale, and tiring. That from a part time MMA fan!

Wore McGregor out, disrupted his breathing, busted him open landed several hard elbows, controlled the fight, opened up the cut some more, exposed McGregor's take down defence, scored several points. Basically made life difficult for his opponent.

The net effect of which was to wear himself out while McGregor didn't seem "wore out" at all.

Good strategy.

Well according to the people commentating on that, McGregor couldn't defend the takedowns very well. He went to ground too easily. Those elbows were doing a ton of damage. Honestly, I'm just parroting what those guys said. They were a lot more critical on Conor than Joe Rogan was. I'd have to watch it again to be more precise. Skip to 9:30.

His takedown defence wasn't great no, that said he was facing the best wrestler in the division. However, his ground game was good, take down defence and ground game are 2 different things.

He did very well from the bottom with his movement awareness positioning etc, Made It difficult for Chad to transition into any decent position, landed a few elbows of his own and executed and beautiful escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mendes has fantastic wrestling.
    Him being able play his game doesn't mean Conor's ground game is poor. That guillotine escape was no fluke.

Yes, he didn't defend the takedowns well. But once down there Mendes wasn't doing much. Half of those elbows weren't connecting cleanly, and McGregor returned more than his share of elbows. Then Mendes attempted submissions, but McGregor was more than a match for him.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    The net effect of which was to wear himself out while McGregor didn't seem "wore out" at all.

Good strategy.

He wore himself out yeah, factor in those body kicks and a 2 week camp of course he's gonna be worn out. He knew he had 2 or 3 rounds In him and that was It, he went all out on that submission and It backfired.

Are you trying to say taking McGregor down 4 times, controlling him and damaging him was a bad strategy? What Is his alternative? Trade blows with Mcgregor? Yeah cause that's great strategy there...:rolleyes:

I felt that Mendes was using those takedowns out of pure desperation, and when he got them he didn't have the intensity/energy to work on Conor all that much. Conor's defense whilst being submitted was good. Mendes' only real way to victory was through ground and pound. Problem being that he didn't have the energy and Conor was defending well.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

I have a feeling Rory will be making a few more dollars in the years to come. He's an excellent talent and will go far, might even become champion if that bastard Lawler decides to retire :pac:

I really hope so! Love him as a fighter and I'd love to see him get to the top! The sad thing he was so bloody close and just had to see out the round and avoid a 10-8!

jjdonegal wrote: »
    I really hope so! Love him as a fighter and I'd love to see him get to the top! The sad thing he was so bloody close and just had to see out the round and avoid a 10-8!

He was so close last time too! I love Lawler as well so It's not the worst thing ever but If I didn't I'd genuinely be beat up for Rory. How do you think he'd fare against Hendricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Jesus Christ, Mendes did very little on the ground, passed guard once and landed a few elbows, compared to McGregor completely busting him up on the feet, making him gas after 5 seconds with a body kick.

Its amazing how much McGregor ruined Mendes on the feet, and Mendes is knocking out everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Its not near as bad. Diego cowered into a corner and waited to get finished, Chad was tired but he took a massive left hand (along with others) to get to the floor.

Fair enough Chad wasn't as bad as Diego but he defo had had enough imo

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Mendes did very little on the ground, passed guard once and landed a few elbows, compared to McGregor completely busting him up on the feet, making him gas after 5 seconds with a body kick.

Its amazing how much McGregor ruined Mendes on the feet, and Mendes is knocking out everyone else.

Why the Jesus Christ exactly? We are talking about what Mendes did on the ground? not comparing what he did on the ground to what Conor did on the feet. If you don't have anything to add to that conversation don't bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

darced wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Fair enough. His body quit on him so

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »

I would have thought Mendes had marginally won both rounds if it came down to it.

Advertisement