Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Some Heroes of the Storm, Supreme commander 2 and downloading wolfenstein the new order for after I have batman finished on the ps4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 BenHK

Got done with Donkey Kong Country Returns, then finished Super Mario Sunshine this week. Just started the Metroid Prime Trilogy last night so we'll see how this goes. I'm going to do a lot of Nintendo games this summer that I missed over the years. After Metroid it's on to the Mario Galaxies, Pikmans, and finish up with the Zelda games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

World of Warcraft, yeah i know.. but it was free with a wow token, didnt think much of the new patch, fun for all of an hour or two until i realised i had to do the same quests on 6 other max level alts and gave up.

Heroes of the Storm - grindy mess that works best when you pay for stimpacks, played three games to get a few daily quests done then gave up.

Darkest Dungeon - i LOVE this game, frustrating as it can be as it's a roguelike, but it really is fun and the narration throughout the game is quality.

Total War: Attila - i didnt like it at first but then i bought the DLC that allowed me to play as the Ebdanians. Pretty comical taking over europe as an Irish culture, take that Germany! Oh, and it's a free weekend for all TW games this weekend on steam too, with some hefty discounts on everything bar Atilla which only has 33% off, Rome II is worth the 7.50 13.74, if you've been putting it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Rome II is worth the 7.50, if you've been putting it off

75% off I think you mean? The actual price is €13.74.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dair76 wrote: »
    75% off I think you mean? The actual price is €13.74.

You're right yeah, my bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So recently completed Mass Effect, to prep a character save for Mass Effect2. Played a few hours, and plan to get back to it over the summer to finish.

The new WoW raid has come out, so thats a couple of nights a week taken up for a while, including farm content, so other gametime going to be few and far between.

La Noire I got in the steam sale and dabbled and bit, will come back to that shortly.

Arkham Asylum is the current "non wow" game getting my attention. Want to complete this, City and Origins before moving onto Knight(which at that time should be fixed) .

Cities skyline I picked up in sale and want to get going with, but just not a lot of time at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

TheDoc wrote: »
    Arkham Asylum is the current "non wow" game getting my attention. Want to complete this, City and Origins before moving onto Knight(which at that time should be fixed) .

I only played Asylum and city recently. Good games. I must pick up origins and then Knight. I'm thinking like you for Knight as in I hope it is fixed by the time I decide to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I only played Asylum and city recently. Good games. I must pick up origins and then Knight. I'm thinking like you for Knight as in I hope it is fixed by the time I decide to play it.

Heard from some people Origins is good, but you can skip it in the series if you want to burst through them quickly. Figured I'd give it lash. I've played a bit of City, not a lot though.

I'm so bad with backlog, play a few hours of stuff, then forget about it entirely. I'm planning to get the batman games done to ramp up for a fixed Arkham Knight, which by all accounts from console gamers is a tremendous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

My steam looks like this.

FF7-140HRS
    FF8-0HRS
    Stronghold Crusader-111HRS
    Shogun 2-4HRS
    Dawn Of War Retri- 1348HRS

I only got stem for Retri and even though It's like 5 years old It's still all I play.

Now addicted to Hearthstone tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gbear wrote: »
    You need to put the effort in to get the most out of combat.

If you try to be efficient you'll just sit behind cover and shoot things in the face.

Soldier and Infiltrator are incredibly easy and boring.
    Playing Vanguard or Adept massively helps.

You just turn into this wheel of destruction, pausing mid-carnage briefly to choose your next target, before roaring after them and either punching or blasting them in the face.

Getting a biotic explosion to go off and blasting a bunch of cannon fodder across the map has to be one of the most satisfying "thuds" in gaming.

What game are you playing ? Its not the single player part is it? Cos im clearly doing it wrong if it is.

Have no interest in playing ME MP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What game are you playing ? Its not the single player part is it? Cos im clearly doing it wrong if it is.

Have no interest in playing ME MP.

Yup.

It helps to have it on maximum difficulty.

It's a nightmare in ME1 and not worth the effort, but I find it hugely rewarding in 2 and 3 because it really pushes you to play for more tactically, rely on powers more (so it nerfs the boring shooty classes) and generally not just play on auto-pilot.

MP is great but if you haven't had a crack before than it's probably not worth your time this late into the game's life.

But in SP, you still can charge around like a lunatic as a vanguard or be a Jedi on steroids as an adept.
    The sentinel and Engineer aren't quite as fun, because the former is generally a conservative class and the tech powers aren't as strong, but the heavy biotic-focused classes are a blast.

My advice is to basically ignore weapons, other than things that give you more melee or power damage and just go both barrels on trying to set up biotic detonations, or find the really satisfying knife-edge for Vanguards between constantly dying when you bite off more than you can chew and charging into a Ravagers face and punching it.

Also, you can't be sync-killed on a ramp, so if you pick your ground cleverly you don't need to worry about Banshees, Brutes or Phantoms auto-murdering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Seriously what game are you playing?

Umm if they have no shields FIRE if they have shields Disruptor then FIRE.

All big bastards are a slow walk backwards firing my Assault rifle (only gun i actually seem to use).

Starting to think im playing this wrong, I have the geth on my side (last few missions helping them) other lads pissed but respect me.

It seems I played ME incorrectly. I found the combat so tiresome that I reduced the difficulty to as easy as possible so I could skip through it. It really became a chore. So much so that I gave up on the game.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    To the above person squashing weapon classes and promoting adept classes - Adept/Caster classes are the easier choice as they aren't gear reliant, so I consider 'them' the boring classes. Weapon class players need to understand which mods and consumables can get the best out of them (and vs what group of enemies you're facing), as opposed to, say, Adepts where you throw on Bio Ammo/Bio Consumes and just spam detonates 24/7 regardless.

Calling Soldiers boring is very unfair - they're the ones I've played the most in MEMP and can be very team centric. I play mine as a mook slayer who has a natural 1second detonate for my (or other players) ammo abilities - with Adren rush for either tanking more damage or buffing the weapon (depends on map/enemies).

Lately they figured that Solider Snipers can actually keep up (or beat) Infiltrators (the natural sniping class), so they've quite a lot of interesting builds to play with - whereas Adepts, well... You'll usually always be using the same thing all the time while bringing Barrier stripping weapons if you're any good.

Still, all the talk should prove to non-believers that ME3MP has a lot of layers to it and should be explored, no matter whether new or late to the game -- and if you do, be sure to head to the N7 // Bioware forums and join the huge community there, especially if you want some insight into builds, weapon combos, finding teammates etc

Don't forget that in doing so, you unlock resources for your singleplayer campaign - so it means if you fall in love with it and play it tonnes, great - if you don't, no real loss to your SP progress.

I'd make a distinction between MP and SP.
    The Soldier and Infiltrator in SP are very vanilla. The infiltrator is probably the easiest class because it's hard to die when you're invisible and can nearly one shot everything.

The variety in MP gives a huge different number of playstyles for all the classes so I'd never suggest that overall one was better than the other - some days I feel like blowing stuff up with biotics, some days I play my favourite build - the N7 Destroyer with no Destroyer Mode, more mobility and heavy use of grenades and shotguns up close and personal, and some days you want to hop on the murder train and headbutt things in the face with the Krogan Vanguard.

Hmm... I'm starting to get the itch again.:o

RopeDrink wrote: »

The only way I explain it to non-ME players is by referencing Mercenaries in Resident Evil games as it's essentially the same. Long matches, waves of random enemies, your choice of class/character with or without friends/randoms joining in - all of which generates currency to make the explosions bigger and better :cool:

It really was absolutely genius.

The perfect amount of trickling of new items, but an impossibly huge arsenal so that you'd take 100's of hours to fill out the full thing, a good mix of consumables as well, a very entertaining difficulty curve, beautiful and diverse levels. And a tremendous level of support for it to.

In these cynical times I don't understand why companies keep pushing free multiplayer balance and content, but I suppose it probably doesn't take that big a team and you get massive brownie points.

It had it's moments of weakness early on, and the Vanguard was just broken for ages and kept clipping out of the game, but it's without a shadow of a doubt the best MP experience I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Been playing Wolfenstein: The New Order mostly, a bit of FTL on the side and taking the time to try a few games I hadn't gotten around to even giving a go yet, MGSV: Ground Zeroes, Bastion (finally!) and Castlevania: Lords of Shadows which I bought after playing the demo, but didn't play the full game until now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

giving borderlands another shot

i still hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Absolutely and 100% totally hooked on XCom Enemy Unknown.

18 hours in the past 2 weeks, but I only started again yesterday :(

giving borderlands another shot

i still hate it

Wow! What do you not like about it? The whole series (3 games + DLC) is amazing up there in my favourite games of all time.

Wow! What do you not like about it? The whole series (3 games + DLC) is amazing up there in my favourite games of all time.

i hate how bullet spongey all the enemies are and I have to be standing right on top of the ****ers to actually hit them. and then when they have shields as well, you're basically just holding down on the left mouse button and waiting until they're dead

i don't demand realistic(ish) one bullet kill scenarios or ultra realistic bullet physics but borderlands just approached these two things completely contrary to what I like in a game

• Advertisement

I never found that, though I was never looking out for it. I use a sniper for distance and shotgun up close and then electric shock weapons for shields, corrosive for armor, and fire for flesh.

edit. Also guns have different strengths later on in the game when you get more powerful weapons you will kill some body with very few bullets. But you may also come across harder enemies as well.

yeah im sure i would have found something to enjoy about it had I continued playing for long enough but i've tried a couple of times now and the game just irritates me while im playing it. some things just weren't meant to be

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Recently bought Elder Scrolls Online and really enjoying it. Don't really have anyone to play it with so I mostly just run around and try and level up some skills while avoiding certain dungeons that need like a team of fully dedicated pros.

If anyone is thinking about buying it I'd recommend it BUT just be mindful that it's Elder Scrolls Online not Skyrim Online.

I've been playing The Evil Within, a bit more of Bastion, some more Payday 2 and gave Remember Me a quick spin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Links234 wrote: »
    I've been playing The Evil Within, a bit more of Bastion, some more Payday 2 and gave Remember Me a quick spin ;)

How is Remember me?

I've seen it advertised before but it never really seemed to stand out that much.

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    How is Remember me?

I've seen it advertised before but it never really seemed to stand out that much.

Ah only had the chance to play a short bit of it the other night, the setting and concept of the game seems really fascinating, the combat is very much like the Batman games, so if you've played Arkham Asylum or City it's like that. I'll report back when I'm a bit further into it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm officially addicted to Depth. It's like Counterstrike except underwater and one team is sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

A lot of Dirty Bomb online - great fun. Also replaying the Fallout series in anticipation of Fallout 4, currently finishing off Fallout 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pillars of Eternity and Shadow of Morder at the moment. Shadow of Mordor is good, but after playing Arkham Knight, the combat system doesn't feel as good as it would have if i'd played it before. Pillars is good as well, though i'm not sold on the story yet. Needs to kick up a notch or i fear i may loose interest.

Will be away for two weeks from tomorrow, so no gaming for me for a while :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Dead Rising 3 mainly. Such a great pick up and play game - the optimization could have done with a bit more work, but it plays fine for the most part.

Advertisement