Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chance to scrap the Angelus - Nutella, Croissants and Pineapples.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this issue has risen again because of an RTE commissioning brief for video for the Angelus
    The "Angelus" Reflective Pauses on RTÉ One http://www.rte.ie/commissioning/angelus.html

they think the they can pretend its not the Angelus by calling it the "Angelus" one day a week

never read such waffle in my life
    In fact, RTÉ Audience Research and numerous straw polls in the media have shown that a clear majority of Irish viewers still favours keeping the "Angelus" broadcasts, chimes and all. In an age where mindfulness is the new buzzword, it seems that many people, with and without a religious faith, can see the value in a reflective space in the schedule - an opportunity for people to "go placidly amidst the noise."

what 'RTÉ Audience Research' lets see it, not to matters a majority does not mean public station gets to favour one religion above all others.

Atheist Ireland have one of their long detailed briefs on the issue http://atheist.ie/2015/06/rte-angelus-video-competition/ but as ever they forgot to include the crucial link to the commission brief so you could understand what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's one of those things that is a bit shocking when you arrive in Ireland after not having been here for a while.

You stop noticing it after a while but I find it usually causes me to switch from RTE Radio 1 over to someone else, especially in the car.

Kind of reminds me of something you'd see on public broadcasting in an ultra-Islamic country or something like that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's one of those things that is a bit shocking when you arrive in Ireland after not having been here for a while.

You stop noticing it after a while but I find it usually causes me to switch from RTE Radio 1 over to someone else, especially in the car.

Kind of reminds me of something you'd see on public broadcasting in an ultra-Islamic country or something like that.

It really is. When I moved back here from London it was almost a physical shock to me. It's such a weird and backward thing to see on tv. I can't even begin to imagine how it appears to people from other countries who didn't grow up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

iguana wrote: »
    It really is. When I moved back here from London it was almost a physical shock to me. It's such a weird and backward thing to see on tv. I can't even begin to imagine how it appears to people from other countries who didn't grow up with it.

Even when I was an observant catlick, the angelus was a bloody annoying nuisance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Would you ever get a sense of proportion? You moved from a country where they have a royal family FFS.

Mostly it gives the impression that you're in a sort of theocracy.

I'm still shocked that a French friend of mine asked if you could be critical of religion here openly or would you possibly be arrested as she's heard about the blasphemy law and assumed we were actually serious!

Ireland still has a reputation as bit of a conservative, religious backwater. The marriage referendum has challenged that view somewhat but for most people seeing the angelus on TV is probably just confirming what they suspected.

They're completely right too. There are some legacy issues here that do make us quite an odd country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Would you ever get a sense of proportion? You moved from a country where they have a royal family FFS.
    And an established church. And a peerage, for the love of God, with a privileged role in legislation.

If I had to choose, I'd take the broadcast angelus any day, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭worded

And will that fisherman on Or Tee E ever get his nails cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,395 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Peregrinus wrote: »
    And an established church. And a peerage, for the love of God, with a privileged role in legislation.

If I had to choose, I'd take the broadcast angelus any day, thanks.

What would be weird in terms of western societies is not having a dominant or established church, or a royal family, but having a national broadcaster making twice daily calls for the adoration of one or the other.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What does it matter what other countries do? Having a twice daily call to prayer for one specific denomination on the national broadcaster is beyond weird. Giving out about royal families elsewhere is the Irish mammy there's children starving so clear your plate line of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

lazygal wrote: »
    What does it matter what other countries do?
    Indeed. Equally, what does it matter what other countries think of what we do? If iguana, on moving here from London, found that we do things differently here, well, duh. It's hardly much of an argument for saying that we should do as they do in London. I didn't spend two years in a flying column for that!

(OK, I didn't spend two years in a flying column at all. But you take my point.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Giving out about royal families elsewhere is the Irish mammy there's children starving so clear your plate line of thought.

Or as my granny used to say 'think of the poor starving children in Utopia'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RTÉ Audience Research and numerous straw polls in the media have shown that a clear majority of Irish viewers still favours keeping the "Angelus" broadcasts, chimes and all.
    The Irish people would favour keeping a giant turd outside their house if it was there long enough. We get attached to all kinds of stupid stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

What does it matter what other countries do? Having a twice daily call to prayer for one specific denomination on the national broadcaster is beyond weird. Giving out about royal families elsewhere is the Irish mammy there's children starving so clear your plate line of thought.

No it's not. The guy being replied to was embarrassed about coming from London.

The BBC as it happens has religious programming and daily prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

And here was me thinking we had matured as a nation and weren't constantly worried about what 'people from other countries' might think of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Nothing to do with what people from other countries think or don't think. It's about what is right at this point in time.

I would defend the RCC here on occasion where I feel that genuine religious people are having their faith slagged off etc. however this is not the case here.

Very few Catholics say their angelus nowadays and the prompting is not necessary.

If people want a reminder regarding when to say the angelus then set the alarm on their phones or simply note that it's 12 or 6pm and turn volume down etc.I don't know the justifications at the time for starting to play the angelus on TV and radio but I would say these reasons have been superseded by now.

RTE board should meet with Diarmuid Martin and inform him that they are dropping the angelus but say that they will continue to broadcast other catholic items like Sunday mass.

No it's not. The guy being replied to was embarrassed about coming from London.

The BBC as it happens has religious programming and daily prayers.

the prayer for the day on radio 4 at 5:40 in the morning is bit different then a tv and radio broadcast before the main news of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

Is there an option to keep the Angelus , But to get rid of RTE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

jimd2 wrote: »
    RTE board should meet with Diarmuid Martin and inform him that they are dropping the angelus but say that they will continue to broadcast other catholic items like Sunday mass.

On RTE News Now at 3:40 am on a Monday morning. Frankly any broadcasting of religious propoganda, which is what mass and other relgious celebrations are, should be totally beyond the pale for any state broadcaster.

• Advertisement

It just causes me to change channel on the radio. You'd wonder how many more listeners and viewers RTE actually loses because of that.

Aside from the religious thing, I find listening to 60 seconds of oddly slow bongs in the car a bit annoying so, invariably I end up ditching Drivetime for Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It just causes me to change channel on the radio. You'd wonder how many more listeners and viewers RTE actually loses because of that.

Aside from the religious thing, I find listening to 60 seconds of oddly slow bongs in the car a bit annoying so, invariably I end up ditching Drivetime for Today FM.

Does anyone else find it annoying that TodayFM and Newstalk seem to have ads on during the bongs rather than a news bulletin, similarly to yourself if I'm driving I'll switch over only to be met with Mammon on the other channels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

ScumLord wrote: »
    The Irish people would favour keeping a giant turd outside their house if it was there long enough. We get attached to all kinds of stupid stuff.

Some folk do get attached to all kinds of crazy stuff, but in saying this... The Angelus should play... 'this philosophical and thought-provoking below' instead of beating bells driving folk mad, the (mute button) scenario.

Give it a meaning to make it worthwhile. The Angelus on RTE is dire and out of sync with reality imo. You need to feel it, not hear it.

Sounds better than steel bells clanging all fecking day do you not think ?. Vangelis

Atheist Ireland criticises RTÉ’s Angelus revamp http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/atheist-ireland-criticises-rt%C3%A9-s-angelus-revamp-1.2261871 in the IT

A spokesman said it was RTÉ’s intention that “this reflective minute” should be accessible to people of all faiths and none.
    He added: “The Angelus prayer itself is never broadcast in these slots and is not imposed on viewers.

the Angelus pray is the Hail Mary right? I could probably recite that all if prompted a little, the prayer isn't supposed to broadcast, its meant to prompt you to recite the prayers you had drilled into you as child, so they are saving us for soemthing that wouldn't happen?
    “RTÉ has always given consideration to views expressed by Atheist Ireland and by the many groups and lobbies in order to strike a balance which best serves the interests of our licence-payers and honours RTÉ’s obligations under the Broadcasting Act to reflect the rich and diverse religious, spiritual and philosophical culture of Ireland.”

again the Angelus somehow shows Ireland rich diversity?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,395 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

State-imposed catholic monoculture is actually proof of how diverse Ireland is :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Slogan should be "RTE - Keeping one foot in the 1950s"

I'd nearly rather they were just honest and put up religious imagery.

This is actually an insult to secularism and probably quite insulting to Catholics too.

What's next? "Ah it's not Mass, it's just a gathering led by a catholic priest that's reflective of a multicultural Ireland".

RTE sounds like it's run by the same lobby as the primary schools.

It's worrying that a public service broadcaster can't see how wrong what they're proposing is.

Pretending the angelus isn't religious is actually quite creepy and sounds like an attempt to sneak religion into a schedule for the non religious.

Something very cult-like about what RTE are done doing and something deeply dishonest too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I quite like that we have one minute of meditation and reflection on primetime tv. Better that than incessant advertising getting rammed down our throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I quite like that we have one minute of meditation and reflection on primetime tv. Better that than incessant advertising getting rammed down our throats.

This is advertising. The angelus is the catholic call to prayer. It isn't part of any other faith, no matter how RTE try to spin it.

You can also just switch the TV off and go out and enjoy the birdsong in the garden, have a cup of tea, walk the dog, put on some chill music, have a bath, go for a jog, go for a swim, chill out over a nice cup of coffee and watch the world go by... Or whatever it is you find relaxing!

Does RTE need to tell you when to take a chill out moment using a weird recording of annoyingly irregularly mistimed slow ringing church bells?!

• Advertisement

This is advertising. The angelus is the catholic call to prayer. It isn't part of any other faith, no matter how RTE try to spin it.

The spin is utterly cringe / vomit inducing too. They seem desperate to keep it yet they obviously find it embarrassing, so they're watering it down.

It shows utter spinelessness to me.

And now on RTE One a debate on the gay marriage referendum --- just after the angelus!

Also tends to reconfirm every stereotype they have of "the south" up north too.

"and now on our lady television ..."

Honestly can you imagine if a NI channel started the news with a rendition of the aire of All things Bright and Beautiful?!

Yet, the Irish often have the hypocritical ability to sneer at the evangelical yanks who at least have a concept of a secular state!

Advertisement