Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chance to scrap the Angelus - Nutella, Croissants and Pineapples.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it has certainly become slightly less catholic in that they don't have a static picture of the madonna on it anymore, but it's definitely still catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

But if you showed it to someone who didn't have our background without the name "Angelus" on it, would they recognise it as a call to prayer? I don't think so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you played an audio recording of the muslim call to prayer to someone who didn't have a muslim background, would they recognise it as a call to prayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

But if you showed it to someone who didn't have our background without the name "Angelus" on it, would they recognise it as a call to prayer? I don't think so.

But what has that got to do with anything?! It's the taxpayers/license payers in this country that it's meant to be relevant to, not some abstract alien having landed in the middle of "the bongs" without any cultural background.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i pay my tv licence fee. i've paid my taxes. i'm not religious but i've no problem with the Angelus on tv for less than 1 minute each evening.
    i'm all for inclusivity but i don't think i'd be happy to have to listen to a Muslim call to prayer instead.

why - this is a christian/catholic country. where's the shame in that? instead of pandering to those who would have Ireland lose it's identity instead we should be proud of our heritage and the religion of those who wish to observe it.

i don't think anyone in a Muslim or other religion country is trying so hard to eradicate their religion to be 'inclusive'.

• Advertisement

i pay my tv licence fee. i've paid my taxes. i'm not religious but i've no problem with the Angelus on tv for less than 1 minute each evening.
    i'm all for inclusivity but i don't think i'd be happy to have to listen to a Muslim call to prayer instead.
    Contradiction much?!
    That's pretty much our point here. The very reason you wouldn't be happy to have to listen to a Muslim call to prayer is the reason we're not happy to have to listen to a Catholic call to prayer. Being neither, like.
    why - this is a christian/catholic country. where's the shame in that? instead of pandering to those who would have Ireland lose it's identity instead we should be proud of our heritage and the religion of those who wish to observe it.
    a) No, no it's NOT a Catholic country. It's a secular republic (supposedly).
    b) Where's the shame? Do you want a list? Could take a while.
    c) Don't tell me to be proud of any religion thank you. Our heritage is shared, but which parts I am proud of is entirely personal and not for you to dictate, thanks again.
    i don't think anyone in a Muslim or other religion country is trying so hard to eradicate their religion to be 'inclusive'.

We're talking about this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

It's no longer the Angeles. It's now a moment of reflection or something equally as insipid for anyone who wants to - just to take time out of their day.

But don't let that get in he way of a reason to be offended.

It's no longer the Angeles. It's now a moment of reflection or something equally as insipid for anyone who wants to - just to take time out of their day.

Can you find me some link to show that "The Angelus" is no longer being aired please? To my knowledge, the Angelus bells still bong each and every day on RTE television and radio as a call to prayer. Please post the link to show that this practice has been stopped, as I can't find one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A minute of calm and meditation, in the middle of screechy car crashes, squealy romcoms and horrifying news programmes.
    Years ago, I adopted a policy of not having the telly turned on at all.

You wouldn't believe how calming and meditative that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

We need to ban churches ringing their bells, I'm offended that they are calling me to pray :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Have you informed RTE?

http://www.rte.ie/tv/listings.html

If you can read this, you're too close!

We need to ban churches ringing their bells, I'm offended that they are calling me to pray :(

I'm not. I'm not paying for them. Unlike RTE, a church is not meant to be impartial.
    However, as I do pay for RTE, I can reasonably have an expectation that they don't call me to prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Ha ha, first church of cannabis can come here too :)

It'll confuse the hell out of the catholics when we start Bonging at 16.20.

hehe, bonging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I pay my licence fee too. It annoys me that there are so many very dull 'reality' programmes with 'celebs' and wealthy and poor people being foolish for our entertainment, programmes bought in from other jurisdictions with different values (from mine, anyway). All kinds of things offend me. I could spend happy days full of indignation if I wanted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I pay my licence fee too. It annoys me that there are so many very dull 'reality' programmes with 'celebs' and wealthy and poor people being foolish for our entertainment, programmes bought in from other jurisdictions with different values (from mine, anyway). All kinds of things offend me. I could spend happy days full of indignation if I wanted ;)
    The angelus doesn't offend me, but I still believe it should be scrapped. This isn't about offence, personal or otherwise, it's about right and wrong. How do we know the Atheists and others in opposition to the angelus are right in this case? Because they're not asking for the angelus to be replaced by a minute of quiet (or loud) Atheist reflection. It's not personal, it's the principle of the matter..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That's quite a big straw man you've built there.

Not even straw man so much as downright stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Absolutely. All churches on hills should also be demolished. I can see them and they cause me offence, specially with them big spiry things.

That's quite a big straw man you've built there.
    i read the comment as as a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

No, certain Muslim countries don't relax their faith, and make people adhere to their rules, no matter what. You know, the ones that don't let you drink, hold hands, etc etc etc. Not being muslim can affect the way you do things.

It's a good job that not being Catholic doesn't affect the way things are done here. /s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I like the Angelus. A minute of calm and meditation, in the middle of screechy car crashes, squealy romcoms and horrifying news programmes.

And if you, and anyone else who also likes meditation, wants to buy a minute of prime advertising time to play their mediation minute for them (as opposed to just turning off the tv for a minute), then off you go. I fail to see why anyone else should be paying for your mediation though.

And if you, and anyone else who also likes meditation, wants to buy a minute of prime advertising time to play their mediation minute for them (as opposed to just turning off the tv for a minute), then off you go. I fail to see why anyone else should be paying for your mediation though.

You could say that about any programming though. Why should I pay for tennis coverage? Soap operas? Nobody is forced to have a tv

You could say that about any programming though. Why should I pay for tennis coverage? Soap operas? Nobody is forced to have a tv
    The simple answer to this is that a state broadcaster should not support any one religion in a secular state; whether it is 24/7 wall to wall religious programming or a minute of quiet reflection does not matter. None of it should be broadcast unless paid for and acquired under normal market place rules and regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

galljga1 wrote: »
    According to the 2011 census 84% are catholic, 30% of whom go to mass weekly

So according to the census only 25% of the population are properly catholic (weekly mass attendance being a stipulation put down by the rcc to stay properly christian in the eyes of their cloud-fairy with a beard imaginary friend, and failure to do so being cause for eternal damnation).

So even on the numbers game RTE should be scrapping any and all religious indoctrination, as the audience doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I've seen people meditating to slow repeated bells as a way to control breathing and focus the mind. Bells don't have to be religious

But bells tolling the angelus are. Once again your post is at best tangenital to the discussion at hand.

But bells tolling the angelus are. Once again your post is at best tangenital to the discussion at hand.

Obviously you have been selectively reading the thread so. I was referring directly to post No. 89 by Cabaal. By this time the discussion had moved from scrapping the angelus to modernizing it. Some posters felt that the bells should be removed, to which I suggested changing the bells to meditation bells.

Meditation bells are NOT angelus bells :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

RTE makes money from advertising during sports coverage and tv soaps, so they pay for themselves. The angelus is itself advertising, transmitted for free for the benefit of the church. So clearly not the same thing.
    And not having a tv (not that that is a remotely fair offer to make) may not be a defence in the future, if the proposed broadcast tax is introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

rughdh wrote: »
    How about we include the Muslim call to prayer and other prompts to pray for all religions in existence? And sure, can't we just change the channel for them too?
    I'd support this. Either all or nothing.

Advertisement