Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chance to scrap the Angelus - Nutella, Croissants and Pineapples.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's the old 'This is a Catholic country!!!!' attitude. Where people think you're somehow a bad parent who doesn't care a damn about anyone else if you decide not to baptise your child in a family heirloom, even if you don't actually believe in or follow any of the supernatural bits of the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Honestly, the more and more I encounter it as I get a bit more into my adult years, the more I just feel like leaving.

It's a "you don't belong here - conform or go away" type culture.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Honestly, the more and more I encounter it as I get a bit more into my adult years, the more I just feel like leaving.

It's a "you don't belong here - conform or go away" type culture.

If there had been a No vote in the marriage equality referendum we'd have seriously, seriously considered moving to where my husband was born. Especially with the 8th amendment still in place and politicians flat out refusing to change it.

lazygal wrote: »
    If there had been a No vote in the marriage equality referendum we'd have seriously, seriously considered moving to where my husband was born. Especially with the 8th amendment still in place and politicians flat out refusing to change it.

What's making me consider it is the 8th amendment but also seeing my younger relatives being hit with the "you're not catholic .. oh we might have a place for you in that special school far, far away for the weirdos like yourself.." type attitude.

There's a lot to change, and I don't know if I could be bothered waiting around for it to happen. Life's not long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

That and we all apparently speak fluent Irish at home 24/7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

You'd emigrate before changing over the tv channel? That's a slight overreaction I would say.

It's not the TV channel it's the attitude, the school system, the 8th amendment and the slow, slow pace of change on those issues.

Yeah, the same sex marriage thing is great but there are just so many other issues that are less on trend that need to be addressed and aren't being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I quite like that we have one minute of meditation and reflection on primetime tv. Better that than incessant advertising getting rammed down our throats.

so religious propoganda is better than commercial propoganda?

And on a state broadcaster too, which is supposed to cater to all Irish, the non-religious majority as well as the tiny minority of paleolithic era catlicks.

And on a state broadcaster too, which is supposed to cater to all Irish, the non-religious majority as well as the tiny minority of paleolithic era catlicks.

Well, if it scrapped it's religious output it wouldn't really be catering for all, would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Michel Nugent of Atheist Ireland Angelus on The Right Hook http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/9/19588/25th_June_2015_-_The_Right_Hook_Part_2/ about half way through

lazy people saying the atheist ireland should concentrate on more important things, not bothered to check their website and see that they were over in the UN last week dealing with various Human Rights issues and their extensive and detailed briefs and lobbying on education etc

lazy people saying the atheist ireland should concentrate on more important things, not bothered to check their website and see that they were over in the UN last week delaing with various Human Rights issues and there extensive and detailed briefs and lobbying on eduaction etc

Looks like we could use some of that eduaction a bit closer to home.

In fairness, I can think of a lot more things in this country that people could be ploughing their energies into instead of a ringing bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Symbolism matters.

that's why there's a fcuking great big cross on top of Carrauntoohil.

'We own this fcuking country, boy'

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

And the 84% who identify as Roman Catholic of course. Which I think counts as a religious majority, unless there is a truly astonishing number of paleolithic era catlick Mammys desperately hiding the census forms from their enormous broods of apostate children still living at home.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think there is a need for people to have at least one moment of reflection during the day. It's not really a call to prayer anymore, it's 60 seconds of calm and meditation, they've done away with the Catholic imagery.

Calm?
    I find euro news no comment programs more calming then what RTE have that you claim is calm. The church bells don't make it calm, they are ensuring it's linked to the Christian faith.

If you want it calm then remove the bells and use images from all religious and none, a Muslim praying, a scientology person doing a emeter session, a Catholic in Ireland not going to mass. You know, images that reflect the majority of each faith in Ireland :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Looks like we could use some of that eduaction a bit closer to home.

In fairness, I can think of a lot more things in this country that people could be ploughing their energies into instead of a ringing bell.

I'm sure you'd be saying the exact same thing if RTE broadcasted a Muslim call to prayer, hmm there's a thought.

Maybe RTE should do a 6 month rotation of all faiths and none, 6 months of Muslim call to prayer, 6 months of bells etc.

I'm sure you'd have no issue with this? Who cares if the call to prayer will have to be aired more throughout the day :)

If anything, these times can still be used for meditation... Sure its no different to some bells. It has no meaning to a none Muslim... Apparently

Well, if it scrapped it's religious output it wouldn't really be catering for all, would it?

How are they catering for non Catholics at the moment exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Cabaal wrote: »
    By including non-Catholic material in their religious programming?
    I'm sure you'd be saying the exact same thing if RTE broadcasted a Muslim call to prayer, hmm there's a thought.
    It would surprise me if they did that, for reasons I have already pointed out. But it wouldn't bother me in the least. Why should it?

According to their site, they "broadcast over 100 hours each year on both television and radio, including documentaries, discussions, interviews, festival features and worship programmes, reflecting the full diversity of religious belief and practice in Ireland."

Key words here are "full diversity". They are not promoting one religion over another.

There's tens of thousands of Christian sects alone. How can rte cater for the full range of diversity of them, as well as the myriad other religions out there? Why do we need a broadcaster to have two moments of reflections based on a Catholic call to prayer at all? Can people not chose when to reflect themselves if they want to?

• Advertisement

There's tens of thousands of Christian sects alone. How can rte cater for the full range of diversity of them, as well as the myriad other religions out there?
    There are tens of thousands of Christian denominations, but many of them are divided geographically, not by doctrine. It's not the case that every denomination needs or demands ring-fenced time available exclusively to it.

Yes, catering to the "full range of diversity" in any society can be difficult. This is not something confined to religion. But the challenges presented by recognising and reflecting diversity are not a good reason to abandon the attempt entirely.

It may well be that there are religious traditions in Ireland who consider that they are not adequately catered for in RTE's religious broadcasting. If so, the appropriate response may be to adjust the mix somewhat. But it wouldn't be reason to ban religious broadcasting altogether. Especially when, as at present, we are merely hypothesising that there could be perspectives who say they feel excluded; nobody as yet has produced any evidence that there actually are any such.
    Why do we need a broadcaster to have two moments of reflections based on a Catholic call to prayer at all? Can people not chose when to reflect themselves if they want to?
    Indeed they can. And I don't see that broadcasting the angelus prevents them from making that choice.

There's tens of thousands of Christian sects alone. How can rte cater for the full range of diversity of them, as well as the myriad other religions out there? Why do we need a broadcaster to have two moments of reflections based on a Catholic call to prayer at all? Can people not chose when to reflect themselves if they want to?

Tens of thousands of Christian sects in Ireland? I doubt that. I imagine RTE bases it's output on a religious demographic or similar. And yes, people can choose to reflect themselves if they want to. I don't see anyone stopping that from happening.

Tens of thousands of Christian sects in Ireland? I doubt that. I imagine RTE bases it's output on a religious demographic or similar.
    It isn't simply a mathematical calculation. For example, broadcasts of Christian services are more or less equally divided between Catholics and non-Catholics although, obviously, that does not reflect the numerical representation of the various Christian traditions in Ireland. For minority non-Christian traditions, broadcasts of services are occasional, but measured by time may be more than proportionate to their numbers, or less. As already pointed out, you can't broadcast services or devotions which no-one is observing; that consideration alone explains why the Muslim call to prayer is not broadcast in Ireland.

When it comes to panel discussions and the like, the focus will be on getting a diversity of participants with views to express; that could easily lead to a panel of, say, one Catholic, two Protestants, a Muslim and a secular participant. No (sane) person would criticise this on the basis that 84% of panel discussion participants should be Catholic, 6% unbelievers, etc. And there's no presumption that people who are interested in religious and related issues are only interested in coverage of those issues which reflects their own perspective. Same goes for documentary coverage; there will definitely be an attempt to cover stories and events reflecting a variety of perspectives, but no attempt to make this proportional to the numerical representation of those perspectives in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭the block

Zamboni wrote: »

No way.its d funniest thing on telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Absolam wrote: »
    And the 84% who identify as Roman Catholic of course. Which I think counts as a religious majority, unless there is a truly astonishing number of paleolithic era catlick Mammys desperately hiding the census forms from their enormous broods of apostate children still living at home.

And why would 84% (let's say for argument sake that figure is 100% accurate) of people in Ireland identify themselves as catholic anyway? Also of the '84%' how many of those believe in the virgin birth, purgatory or transubstantiation for example, I bet a lot of them believe in same sex marriage, condoms and sex before marriage though, most of my mates certainly fall into that category!

I mean on what level can people like that even call themselves catholic, they're closer to being protestants than catholics but try to tell them that (as I've told my friends in the past for fun) and you nearly always get the FCUK OFF I'M CATHOLIC!!! response.

And why would 84% (let's say for argument sake that figure is 100% accurate) of people in Ireland identify themselves as catholic anyway?
    You'd have to ask them. But we know that 84% of them (in the Republic) do identify as Catholics.
    Also of the '84%' how many of those believe in the virgin birth, purgatory or transubstantiation for example, I bet a lot of them believe in same sex marriage, condoms and sex before marriage though, most of my mates certainly fall into that category!
    Again, if you want to know the answer to that you'd have to ask them.
    I mean on what level can people like that even call themselves catholic, they're closer to being protestants than catholics but try to tell them that (as I've told my friends in the past for fun) and you nearly always get the FCUK OFF I'M CATHOLIC!!! response.
    That could have something to do with the fact that they reckon they have a greater right to determine their own religious identity than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Peregrinus wrote: »
    That could have something to do with the fact that they reckon they have a greater right to determine their own religious identity than you do.
    And Rachel Dolezal identified herself has black when she clearly wasn't...

I think Huntergonzo's point was that if they were in any way honest with themselves, they wouldn't call themselves catholics

What about the Pastafarian traditions?!

Ireland's fastest growing carbohydrate based religion.

And Rachel Dolezal identified herself has black when she clearly wasn't...

I think Huntergonzo's point was that if they were in any way honest with themselves, they wouldn't call themselves catholics
    That's because huntergonzo thinks that "Catholic" is defined as "someone who believes in the virgin birth and transubstantion and rejects the virgin birth and condoms".

The thing is, though, as we can plainly see, there are lots of Catholics who don't think that that's what "Catholic" means. More to the point, that's not what the Catholic church thinks, or says, that "Catholic" means.

So it comes down to this; you say huntergonzo thinks people are "dishonest" if they don't accept huntergonzo's somewhat unusual decrees about what common words mean. You can see how that's not a position that has a lot of appeal. Is it any wonder that they tell him, in his own words, to FCUK OFF?

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What about the Pastafarian traditions?!

Ireland's fastest growing carbohydrate based religion.
    Again, we can't expect RTE to broadcast what doesn't happen. From my observations the only manifestation of pastafarianism in Ireland has been one bloke applying for a driving licence and offering a photograph of himself wearing a colander. There's a limit to the amount of religious broadcasting you expect RTE to get out of that.

Advertisement