Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when will there be a referendum on criminalizing meat eating?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Ah, civil debate at its finest. Say I having snarked LotR earlier, but oh well. I dont agree with your comment about women finding killing animals/ understanding killing animals harder, Silverfeather; after you've gutted your first few hundred fish and spent a few days hunting animals out of the crops, you probably are pretty capable of dealing with the whole concept. That aside, yes, some cultures treated the necessary killing of animals with great reverence, and with the emotional distance between Bessie and dinner, its not really something we cope with anymore.

Having said that, I think we can mostly get behind ethical and decent treatment of animals. But that's a far cry from the whole idea of calling a (utterly irrelevent) referendum to ban eating meat altogether, as was the original pipe-dream notion of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I haven't even had breakfast and I'm already salivating about my lunch reading this thread. Liver is on the menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

This day just keeps getting better.

There's going to be some lemon shortage come tomorrow morning.

I would hope not :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

A vegan, an athiest and a Trinity student all walk into a bar. How do you know which is which?
    Dont worry, they'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If the two of us are stranded on a desert Island with nothing to eat you had better hope I don't have a fork.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-31271162.html

Then why are you here defending yourself?

This is not pasture farming or free range. This is torture. It's cowardly and it is all done because modern society DOES feel guilty. Why hide it all away in farms if your stomach is not too weak and squeamish to kill your own? Would people go to Tesco to slaughter their own pigs? Some perhaps but less. If you were not ashamed this factory farming would not be happening. It is the proof of your shame.

Meat eaters who care and honor the life of the animal I can deal with but your ignorance I will not put up with. You don't deserve to eat their flesh. They should not suffer for the likes of you. You dishonor them and their lives. You won't even bear witness to their pain. You just hide it away.

Ah yes you had better hope I don't have a fork.

Why hide it in farms? Because we simply don't have the landmass to have herds of our own. How would i personally get a cut of meat for myself with the one cow i could have in my garden? Cut a leg off today, pour some pitch on the wound, take a shank the next? Don't be daft.
    Commercial farming, evil though you think it is, is the only practical way for people to get what they want.

Guilt has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

I've seen the videos, i've visited a slaughter house. I know full well what goes on in the place. I not going to make it a daily thing, as i simply don't have the time to go to the slaughter house to witness the killing, just for the sake of honor. Have you any idea just how much meat you get out of a cow? Its more than i could possibly keep refrigerated, so the idea of witnessing the killing of "my" animal is silly.

I like my meat. Take it away from me, and i'll source it from elsewhere, like phoenix park for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

LoTR wrote: »
    I can only guess the snark in the above comments is some kind of belief I am against your referendums, I am not - but since the Irish have shown they can turn up in large numbers to vote on social issues, I wonder if this issue of criminalizing the brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings will also be put up for a vote.

It will happen, but will take time, generations ahead will look back at us with disgust as we finally truly understand how sentient and intelligent these animals are.

But it's a long time off, and problem is (and im not trolling here) it just tastes so damn good ... I love bacon, but pigs are extremely intelligent animals (some say as intelligent as a 3 yr old human).

So if people like myself care (and I do care) but still eat meat ... we have a long way to go - but we'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Going off meat might sound like a good idea but you need to be prepared. I have a sister who became a vegetarian, ended up becoming anaemic due to a sudden decrease of iron from her diet. Now she needs to take iron tablets everyday.

The fact is we were created as meat eaters it has always been fundamental in our diet. The idea of a world were animals and humans run free in peace and harmony is a nice sentiment but unlikely one also. The human species has spent its entire lifespan building to this point of hierarchy.

When we discuss the idea of stop eating meat then do we apply this to animals in our care? Ones in zoos, pets, wildlife centres? We were designed to eat meat, there are alternatives of course but its so written into who we are as a species that its hard to move from.

Also if we ceased eating meet we would have to realistically look at controlling the population of other species as with less predators they would just breed and breed.

I understand you hate people eating meat, but giving out in a condescending tone won't help you. You would get more progress with people trying to explain your few clearly and friendly without condemning someone for theirs.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Going off meat my sound like a good idea but you need to be prepared. I have a sister who became a vegetarian, ended up becoming anaemic due to a sudden decrease of iron from her diet. Now she needs to take iron tablets everyday.

People in Cambodia suffer from lack of iron. They have a cheap but ingenious solution. The Lucky Iron Fish. http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32751132

Another thing to be concerned about changing to a vegetarian diet is lack fo B vitamins especially B-12.

traprunner wrote: »
    People in Cambodia suffer from lack of iron. They have a cheap but ingenious solution. The Lucky Iron Fish. http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32751132

Another thing to be concerned about changing to a vegetarian diet is lack fo B vitamins especially B-12.

I'll admit that is interesting and cool but thats aimed at areas in poverty and not much access to alternatives such as cast-iron pots for cooking, meat, certain vegetables and iron tablets, I cant imagine many people taking a lump of iron in boiling water over iron tablets from the pharmacy, but then again people suprise me sometimes :pac:

I'll admit that is interesting and cool but thats aimed at areas in poverty and not much access to alternatives such as cast-iron pots for cooking, meat, certain vegetables and iron tablets, I cant imagine many people taking a lump of iron in boiling water of iron tablets from the pharmacy, but then again people suprise me sometimes :pac:

I'm still gob smacked at this whole thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

the_monkey wrote: »
    It will happen, but will take time, generations ahead will look back at us with disgust as we finally truly understand how sentient and intelligent these animals are.

And science will continue to discover more and more about plant life on this planet, and just how alive it really is. ;)

I wonder what animal rights fruit cakes like the OP will do when we discover that everything on this planet is alive.

Do plants not deserve life too?

Maybe all these deluded people defending our food's right to life, should all just become BREATHARIANS!! :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

Or does air and light have feelings too? lol

Every time I tear a some herbs from the pot on my windowsill I hear them scream. It is heartbreaking but I need them to flavour my veal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Every time I tear a some herbs from the pot on my windowsill I hear them scream. It is heartbreaking but I need them to flavour my veal.
    Roald Dahl wrote a short story about that concept. Vegetarians discovered a way of recording plant's ultrasonic screams of agony and were deeply traumatised.

He also wrote a short story about a kid who grew up sheltered from the notion of eating meat at all. Then he had some in a restaurant and found it delicious. Then he was slaughtered as longpig.

Roald Dahl. Better at kids' books. 'My Uncle Oswald' was funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And science will continue to discover more and more about plant life on this planet, and just how alive it really is. ;)

I wonder what animal rights fruit cakes like the OP will do when we discover that everything on this planet is alive.

Do plants not deserve life too?

Maybe all these deluded people defending our food's right to life, should all just become BREATHARIANS!! :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

Or does air and light have feelings too? lol
    Plant life is surprisingly aware. A tree not only knows when it is being attacked but will produce pheromones that can not only warn trees for miles around but call the insect or animal it needs to defend it from attack. It has been shown that plants can make room for seedlings it is related to, but won't for seedlings that it isn't related to, even if they are the same species.

You want alien consciousness? Chances are you'll find it in a salad, being eaten alive, desperately calling for help.

Roald Dahl wrote a short story about that concept. Vegetarians discovered a way of recording plant's ultrasonic screams of agony and were deeply traumatised.

He also wrote a story about a kid who grew up sheltered from the notion of eating meat at all. Then he had some in a restaurant and found it delicious. Then he was slaughtered as longpig.

Roald Dahl. Better at kids' books. 'My Uncle Oswald' was funny though.

I was a Roald Dahl fan as a kid but I don't have any recollection of those books. I must ask my niece if she has them because she reads his books now.

I was a Roald Dahl fan as a kid but I don't have any recollection of those books. I must ask my niece if she has them because she reads his books now.

You won't find them in his kid's collection.

http://www.roalddahl.com/shop/books/the-complete-short-stories-volume-one--paperback

kylith wrote: »

Thanks kylith. No wonder I don't remember them. I guess I'm going to do some buying today :D

Thanks kylith. No wonder I don't remember them. I guess I'm going to do some buying today :D

I warn you; they're not actually very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Speaking a someone who was erroneously provided with some of these story collections as a kid, I'd suggest that they aren't suitable for young kids. A bit too much sadism in them, nevermind the adult themes. Worth a read otherwise though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_(short_story)

The other short story was called The Sound Machine.

I warn you; they're not actually very good.

Sure I might find a little entertainment in a couple of them :)

• Advertisement

Speaking a someone who was erroneously provided with some of these story collections as a kid, I'd suggest that they aren't suitable for young kids. A bit too much sadism in them, nevermind the adult themes. Worth a read otherwise though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_(short_story)

The other short story was called The Sound Machine.

Thank you. Weirdly I kind of enjoyed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I read this short stories. Quite dark yet funny and silly. There was one about feeding Royal Jelly to a baby and the baby turning into a bee.

Sure I might find a little entertainment in a couple of them :)
    Entertaining but silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I know its the guardian but bear with me.....

http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-83446,00.html

Aparantly vegetables feel pain OP! How dare you torture them! At least my food has a fair chance to run away!

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I know its the guardian but bear with me.....

http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-83446,00.html

Aparantly vegetables feel pain OP! How dare you torture them! At least my food has a fair chance to run away!

I knew the screams weren't in my head!

Plant life is surprisingly aware. A tree not only knows when it is being attacked but will produce pheromones that can not only warn trees for miles around but call the insect or animal it needs to defend it from attack. It has been shown that plants can make room for seedlings it is related to, but won't for seedlings that it isn't related to, even if they are the same species.

You want alien consciousness? Chances are you'll find it in a salad, being eaten alive, desperately calling for help.
    It has no nervous system it can't feel pain. Neither can most non chordates. Clams for example can't feel pain.

People go on about how in your face vegetarians are it's quite the opposite. People boast about their lack of empathy or feeling for animals. They can't be arsed to improve conditions so they try to condition themselves to accept factory farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Will someone please think of the plants and the vegetables??!!! If it grows, it lives. Justice for turnips!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

The few vegetarians I know are sickly, pale weaklings... who would want to live like that ?

I really want a medium to rare steak now with all this chat of tasty food :D

It has no nervous system it can't feel pain. Neither can most non chordates. Clams for example can't feel pain.

People go on about how in your face vegetarians are it's quite the opposite. People boast about their lack of empathy or feeling for animals. They can't be arsed to improve conditions so they try to condition themselves to accept factory farming.

I wouldn't agree with that. I imagine you find most people are all for protection of animals, more probably for endangered ones living in the wild, and also call for good conditions and humane ways of killing the animals that are bred with the intention of being eaten.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree with that. I imagine you find most people are all for protection of animals, more probably for endangered ones living in the wild, and also call for good conditions and humane ways of killing the animals that are bred with the intention of being eaten.
    I HOPE SO!:)

Advertisement