Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when will there be a referendum on criminalizing meat eating?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

My dear Irish friends,

Seeing as you like referendums so much, and like "setting things right," I am just wondering when you will have a Yes/No referendum on whether brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings is something the Irish people will continue to support and strongly engage with, or stand up against?

Will the Irish be the first people in the world to criminalize the brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings (and purchasing such things)....or does the Irish people's definition of mercy not extend to other sentient beings?

When will this referendum be held? And what would you vote for? Will people one day gather with flags in Dublin Castle to celebrate the fall of brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings? Will one day the Irish people set an example for the world? Or will nothing ever convince you to open up your heart to those that cannot speak for themselves?

"Earthlings" with Joaquin Phoenix is a fantastic documentary about this issue.

EDIT: Since I can post things now, this video says more than I can possibly ever explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhBWDzkqEPY Please watch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

What in the constitution needs amending here? Which section?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Are you eotr's brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Nah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A referendum on the right to start ridiculous threads should be in order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yaaawwwnnnn !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

What are you so wound up about exactly?

Other people being happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoTR

I can only guess the snark in the above comments is some kind of belief I am against your referendums, I am not - but since the Irish have shown they can turn up in large numbers to vote on social issues, I wonder if this issue of criminalizing the brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings will also be put up for a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This day just keeps getting better.

There's going to be some lemon shortage come tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

LoTR wrote: »
    My dear Irish friends,

Seeing as you like referendums so much, and like "setting things right," I am just wondering when you will have a Yes/No referendum on whether brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings is something the Irish people will continue to support and strongly engage with, or stand up against?

Will the Irish be the first people in the world to criminalize the brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings (and purchasing such things)....or does the Irish people's definition of mercy not extend to other sentient beings?

When will this referendum be held? And what would you vote for? Will people one day gather with flags in Dublin Castle to celebrate the fall of brutality, depravity, torture, and the horrific killings of other sentient beings? Will one day the Irish people set an example for the world? Or will nothing ever convince you to open up your heart to those that cannot speak for themselves?

We'll have this referendum after they decriminalize pedophilia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

But we are omnivores.

Vegetarians are denying themselves lovely juicy meat, which is natural for humans to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

It is right to questions societal norms, and analyse which of these in the future may be looked back upon as repugnant.

However, doing so in:
    (a) such a condescending manner
    and
    (b) on a forum mostly dedicated to nonsense

probably won't result in a sensible debate.

RobertKK wrote: »
    But we are omnivores.

Vegetarians are denying themselves lovely juicy meat, which is natural for humans to eat.

Vegetarians are people who do not pay for the lifelong brutalization, torture, denial of every single last natural experience for an animal, so that at the end they can see it slaughtered and served "juicily" on their dinner table. Yes, one upon a time humans depended on meat. And other practices from the stone age that any rational person today would find abhorrent. We have since advanced, at least a tiny bit I should hope. Yet comments like yours smash that hope.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    It is right to questions societal norms, and analyse which of these in the future may be looked back upon as repugnant.

However, doing so in:
    (a) such a condescending manner
    and
    (b) on a forum mostly dedicated to nonsense

probably won't result in a sensible debate.

I am not Irish but I am living in Ireland. That is why I say "my Irish friends." I cannot say "we", but I know most people here are Irish, that is why I say "you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Are vegetarians classed as an animal or a vegetable?

But to do so simply out of ass-hurt due to a referendum not turning out the way they wanted to (and only this referendum by the way, not the other referenda here) would betray a lack of sincerity in relation to the cause they claim to be concerned with.

For the second time, I have absolutely no sides in yesterday's referendum. None. This is about the very active and engaged and passionate electorate, which I don't see why you believe I am criticizing. I am asking if other issues might receive the same attention in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Thread reminded me to clean the barbecue for later.

Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Yes, let's have a massive cull of the millions of farm animals in this country and devastate a way of life and communities that have existed on this island for centuries!

How enlightened and humane!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

For the second time, I have absolutely no sides in yesterday's referendum. None. This is about the very active and engaged and passionate electorate, which I don't see why you believe I am criticizing. I am asking if other issues might receive the same attention in the future.
    There's nothing about this in the constitution though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

• Advertisement

Vegetarians are people who do not pay for the lifelong brutalization, torture, denial of every single last natural experience for an animal, so that at the end they can see it slaughtered and served "juicily" on their dinner table. Yes, one upon a time humans depended on meat. And other practices from the stone age that any rational person today would find abhorrent. We have since advanced, at least a tiny bit I should hope. Yet comments like yours smash that hope.

oh i see

DeadHand wrote: »
    Yes, let's have a massive cull of the millions of farm animals in this country and devastate a way of life and communities that have existed on this island for centuries!

How enlightened and humane!

Farm animals are bread in huge numbers specifically to be tortured and brutally killed for your dinner plate. Every last sentient being has the right to live out its life in its natural settings, not in your slaughterhouses. I think it is beyond insane and sadistic to suggest that such a horrific, nightmarish system needs to be preserved so that....people can keep the jobs they currently have? That is your actual argument, that is what is going to help you sleep tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I don't think a referendum would be needed to criminalise eating meat.

However, the OP raises a serious question: meat makes us strong, but is it better to be brutal and depraved than it is to be weak?

Which is worse?

To be evil?

Or to be weak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

anncoates wrote: »
    Thread reminded me to clean the barbecue for later.

Thx.

what's a good cleaner for BBQ's- mines full of beef fat

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

If animals could express themselves better, they would be cringing that you are the one representing their best interests.

Maybe condescension isn't the best way to get people on your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

AlphaRed wrote: »
    We'll have this referendum after they decriminalize pedophilia

Would you like that?

I have no problem with people eating meat so long as the animals are raised and killed properly, I'm all about keeping things humane.

catallus wrote: »
    I don't think a referendum would be needed to criminalise eating meat.

However, the OP raises a serious question: meat makes us strong, but is it better to be brutal and depraved than it is to be weak?

Which is worse?

To be evil?

Or to be weak?

Well, I think that a referendum would be needed, because it is the people who need to decide for themselves how far their definition of mercy extends. Laws handed down by a government that do not have the support of the majority will not last. It needs to be the collective public consciousness that wakes up and rises up against this.

I have no idea why you think vegetarians are weak though. There are so many veterinarian athletes and healthy people who don't eat meat. Sure, if you try it but don't follow a proper diet you can encounter problems - just as you can have problems eating meat with an improper diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

If we were not meant to eat animals God would not have made them out of meat, if there is a God, if we are eating meat, and stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

My dear Irish friends,

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsd0ta_graphic-content-warning-baboon-eats-gazelle-alive_animals

Advertisement