Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Be two years before ye make semis or final - clare, limerick, tipp, dublin, kk all further ahead - the league is the league - three years before Waterford will be serious contenders to win the all-ireland but i think kevin moran and brick might have shoved on...

Waterford have shown their hand for this year...

Clare i agree with but Dublin and Limerick, can't agree with that. You say we've shown our hand, if we have then it's a damn good hand to be playing, i think we will be a very very hard team to beat and in terms of talent in the squad we can beat anyone on our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

From a kk point of view I think it's great to c t
    waterford winning but not dismissing wd but my opinion is they've reached there maximum potential and with great work rate and some great defenders they haven enough quality fowards to trouble tipp or kk,only my opinion I'm sure I'll have people jumping down my throat....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I think that Waterford play like Davy's Clare. Strong defensively but with a massive commitment and a savage fitness level to implement that plan. No room for a plan B though.

I would imagine that Tipp and Limerick might be able to overcome that style in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

unrealtime wrote: »
    I think that Waterford play like Davy's Clare. Strong defensively but with a massive commitment and a savage fitness level to implement that plan. No room for a plan B though.

I would imagine that Tipp and Limerick might be able to overcome that style in Munster.

Clare weren't that strong defensively last year... and when they won the All-Ireland, they choked out Galway & Limerick but the All-Ireland finals were some of the most open games I've ever seen... Cork walked through them for goals at times.

Clare have some fine hurlers in their backline but as pure defenders, I'd probably rate the Waterford backs a bit higher. It'll be interesting to see how Waterford get on in the Championship, I would say that Tipp have an all-round stronger team and that could help them too but I wouldn't put big money on Limerick beating them. (Of course if we were to reach the Munster final, I would fancy our chances). I think tactics like Waterford are more likely to suit Limerick who can be exposed by a straight firefight as in the Munster final last year where the space the Cork forwards got allowed them to flourish.

But Waterford look impressive, they play to their strengths and have some good players to come back. If they had Shane Bennett & Patrick Curran available, they could cause even more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Hello from The Deise KK .....What do you think of this Waterford team ?...Are we a serious contender ...maybe next year ?
    Much as i hate to admit it KK are the Barcelona, Real Madrid , Chelsea of Hurling....we all know that .Kudos.......but because of that i'm interested to hear honest objective thoughts on this new Waterford team from people who know what they're looking at......An AI winning team next year maybe ?......Opinions please

First off congratulations to Waterford on the win. A national title is always to be welcomed regardless of what the naysayers on your own thread are coming out with.

At this stage you would have expect Waterford to go further in the championship than they did last year. A quarter final appearance if not a semi is a realistic target. I don’t think they are serious All Ireland contenders yet, but they are capable of taking out 1 or 2 teams who are.
    They look extremely fit for this time of year and had the edge on pretty much all their league opponents in this department. I would fear that when other teams catch up fitness wise over the summer that Waterford will struggle to impose their game plan on the opposition to the same extent.

The tactic up to now has been to swarm the middle and play the percentages. However I feel that as teams adapt to this style Waterford may struggle. They will generally hit in the region of 20 points per game but a genuine and regular goal scoring threat is required to step up to the next level. Waterford do not currently possess that. Ultimately the difference between the elite teams such as Kilkenny and Tipperary and the rest of the pack is goal scoring forwards.

A solid and dependable unit from 1-9 is pretty much a given for all the top 8 teams. Games at the business end of the championship are invariably won by numbers 10-15. Kilkenny have several proven goal scorers, Tipp have Seamus Callanan and before that Lar Corbett. None of the chasing pack can say the same with the possible exception of Clare.

Waterford will be extremely competitive in this year’s championship, but ultimately will lack that real killer instinct of having a forward capable of engineering a goal when the easy point is on. In a couple of years’ time this may be different when the likes of Patrick Curran and the Bennetts start coming through and maybe Austin Gleeson is placed closer to goal. The trick then is getting a bit of luck like Clare did in 2013 by avoiding Kilkenny and Tipp, and then having the nerve to capitalise. I wish ye well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

Lisdowney are please to announce that the following Kilkenny hurlers will be taking part in the Legends Return game on the 30th May

J.J. Delaney
    Noel Hickey
    Tommy Walsh
    Brian Hogan
    Eddie Brennan
    Aidan Fogarty
    Michael Kavanagh
    David Herity
    P.J. Ryan
    Charlie Carter
    James Ryann
    John Tennyson
    Willie O'Dwyer
    Martin Comerford
    John Maher
    Brian Dowling
    John O'Neill

The KK management team will be Rackard Cody and Conor Phelan

The Lisdowney team will have some help from the following players
    Brendan Cummins (Tip)
    Doc O'Connor (Wex)
    Tony Browne (Wat)
    Eoin Kelly (Wat)
    Eoin McGrath (Wat)
    Keith Rossiter (Wex)
    Rory Hanniffy (Off)
    Damien Hayes (Gal)
    Tony Og Regan (Gal)
    Martin Storey (Wex)

More players to be confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Anybody at any of the matches last night?
    Seen the village - shocks match. Village the better team in what was very tough conditions. Village defence were on top for most of it. Shocks struggled to score from play and where missing 3-4 which they cant really afford.
    John Dalton and John tennyson easily their best players. Richie power was ok but was surrounded every time he got the ball and the rest of the forwards struggled. Missed john power and mick rice big time.
    For the village jackie tyrrell owned the full back line. Luke Scanlon started off like he was going to destroy everybody but went off injured early holding his arm. A few of their younger lads had good games. Cody, browne and lahart.mcquillan had a good game. Larkin was very quiet. Looked a small bit heavy.
    Shocks had 2 men sent off in 2nd half and that put an end to the match. Both for 2 yellows.
    How Quilty gets adult matches ill never know. I must have been to 20 matches hes reffed and without fail been left scratching my head at some of his decisions. I wont start on his brother.....

Il try throw up something about whichever matches i see today/tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Forgot the score!
    Village 1-13 shocks 10

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Huge win for Mullinavat vs St Martin's this evening.
    1-17 v 1-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

How Quilty gets adult matches ill never know. I must have been to 20 matches hes reffed and without fail been left scratching my head at some of his decisions. I wont start on his brother.....

What about his brother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

phkk wrote: »
    Huge win for Mullinavat vs St Martin's this evening.
    1-17 v 1-4

Christ Martins were queer bad

Was at the feile final today 2 adults fighting on the sideline:eek:

dzer2 wrote: »
    Christ Martins were queer bad

Was at the feile final today 2 adults fighting on the sideline :eek:

The oul ubercompetitiveness of Ulster is spreading throughout the country i see. Shocking carry on really

Comer must be gutted leaving johns park today,conditions contributed to low scoring matches everywhere.comer led by six at half time with a strong wind and frustrated clara with good defending.keith hogan scored two monster frees in the second half to keep clara in touch.liam ryan gave clara energy up front when introduced and chris bolger got the goal to level it up with time just up,I think conor o shea got the winner?conor fogarty played his first match since february and really grew into the game as it went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Anybody at any of the matches last night?
    Seen the village - shocks match. Village the better team in what was very tough conditions. Village defence were on top for most of it. Shocks struggled to score from play and where missing 3-4 which they cant really afford.
    John Dalton and John tennyson easily their best players. Richie power was ok but was surrounded every time he got the ball and the rest of the forwards struggled. Missed john power and mick rice big time.
    For the village jackie tyrrell owned the full back line. Luke Scanlon started off like he was going to destroy everybody but went off injured early holding his arm. A few of their younger lads had good games. Cody, browne and lahart.mcquillan had a good game. Larkin was very quiet. Looked a small bit heavy.
    Shocks had 2 men sent off in 2nd half and that put an end to the match. Both for 2 yellows.

Il try throw up something about whichever matches i see today/tomorrow

In fairness to Quilty both sendings off were justified. Carrickshock need someone to tell them they're supposed to pull on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gorta

Under 21's coming up soon, June 2nd. Parnell Park V Dublin, what sort of team have we got ?.

I'd expect this year's u21 team to be more competitive than recent years,darren brennan should be in goal,evan coady at 3,maybe diarmuid coady at six,conor martin at 11,chris bolger at 14,hopefully some of last years minor panel make the next step like alan murphy,jason cleere etc,hopefully luke scanlons injury isn't to serious

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

brookville wrote: »
    I'd expect this year's u21 team to be more competitive than recent years,darren brennan should be in goal,evan coady at 3,maybe diarmuid coady at six,conor martin at 11,chris bolger at 14,hopefully some of last years minor panel make the next step like alan murphy,jason cleere etc,hopefully luke scanlons injury isn't to serious

What happened to Luke Scanlon? Seems John Walsh is out for the year which is a shame. Would expect the likes of Robbie Fitzpatrick, Enda Morrissey, James Meagher, Kevin Kenny to be involved. Going to Parnell park next Tuesday week is obviously going to be a big ask, their season could be over before the summer even starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

What happened to Luke Scanlon? Seems John Walsh is out for the year which is a shame. Would expect the likes of Robbie Fitzpatrick, Enda Morrissey, James Meagher, Kevin Kenny to be involved. Going to Parnell park next Tuesday week is obviously going to be a big ask, their season could be over before the summer even starts.

Mark Mansfield should be involved again too Id imagine and then some of the Minors from last year such as Alan Murphy, Cleere, Liam Blanchefield should be there too so it wont be a bad team at all. It will be a nice blend of the younger lads off the Minors and lads up to the age.

Id be surprised if Kevin Walsh from Piltown isnt involved as like Cody he wasnt there last year and would be up to the age this coming year

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Mark Mansfield should be involved again too Id imagine and then some of the Minors from last year such as Alan Murphy, Cleere, Liam Blanchefield should be there too so it wont be a bad team at all. It will be a nice blend of the younger lads off the Minors and lads up to the age.

Id be surprised if Kevin Walsh from Piltown isnt involved as like Cody he wasnt there last year and would be up to the age this coming year

I'd be surprised if Cleere and Blanchfield would be involved at this stage considering both of them are doing their Leaving.

I'd be surprised if Cleere and Blanchfield would be involved at this stage considering both of them are doing their Leaving.

The Leaving wouldnt always be a factor though. I remember Darren Sweetnam was playing for Cork Seniors in the Munster Champ a few years ago when he was doing his Leaving. Id imagine the management would always pick the best players available to them.

That being said Id say the 2 lads in question would at least be involved at a later stage should we progress beyond the Dublin game

• Advertisement

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    The Leaving wouldnt always be a factor though. I remember Darren Sweetnam was playing for Cork Seniors in the Munster Champ a few years ago when he was doing his Leaving. Id imagine the management would always pick the best players available to them.

That being said Id say the 2 lads in question would at least be involved at a later stage should we progress beyond the Dublin game

Happened us in '11. Mickey Walsh excused Cillian Buckley(tho Cillian was also injured at the time), John Power and Willie Phelan to concentrate on their Leaving and we lost the first round by a point to Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

without the back door, under 21 is the hardest to win. you have to hit the ground running and you have to have a quality manager who can pick the best team.

It's a while since we were successful but I have no doubt that we are more than good enough, if properly focussed. Roll on 2 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think KK will be up against it playing Dublin at home, they beat us by 5 points at minor level in 2012. Also, it is a big ask for some of last year's minors to step up to the plate

I've heard there's being a big effort put into the u21 since last august,I agree it's a big step up from minor but most of them have being hurling with there clubs at a high standard,john Walsh will be a loss and scanlon injured his shoulder in the last round of club,his expected to be out for a while so probably won't be avaliabe

Mullinavat and The Rower was an excellent game in Senior this evening. The Rower prevailing by a point 1-15 to 1-14 with a free from Michael Grace last puck of the game. Ciaran Ryan was outstanding for The Rower in midfield, another chap who is eligible for U21 this year. Fantastic hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

The Rower have a good young team, think they will surprise a few this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Clara were very convincing winners tonight over James Stephens. Chris Bolger scored 2-4 from play. Clara looked very sharp and comfortable all over the pitch. They won almost every battle on the night. The Village looked absolutely hopeless. Very average side at best. Too many passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Clara were very convincing winners tonight over James Stephens. Chris Bolger scored 2-4 from play. Clara looked very sharp and comfortable all over the pitch. They won almost every battle on the night. The Village looked absolutely hopeless. Very average side at best. Too many passengers.

Jaysus, with so many county lads, the Village would be expected to be fantastic?

Larkin, Tyrrell, Keogh, Cody, Ruth...one third of the team are outstanding, it must be a serious tail...also multiple All Ireland medal winner Donncha Cody, is he still playing with them?

Clara were very impressive in a open game,village had no fowards and it's highlighted when you see a corner back center foward,larkin looked rusty which is understandable,ruth tried hard and scanlon showed glimpses,chris bolger was very good and caused jackie and diramuid cody trouble,bolger has plenty of pace and certainly improving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Rochelle wrote: »
    Jaysus, with so many county lads, the Village would be expected to be fantastic?

Larkin, Tyrrell, Keogh, Cody, Ruth...one third of the team are outstanding, it must be a serious tail...also multiple All Ireland medal winner Donncha Cody, is he still playing with them?

Tyrell & Larkin tried hard.

Diarmuid Cody was hopeless, as was Matthew Ruth & Keogh looked out of place being played in the forwards.

The Village were a complete shambles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement