Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tiernand4

Anyone think Dickinson has a realistic chance of coming up ???
    I study Yeats Frost Hardy Plath and Dickinson ...
    I know Plath was up last year but I'm not sure about Dickinson coming up seeing as how Eil Ni C is 99% to come up

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

tiernand4 wrote: »
    I know Plath was up last year but I'm not sure about Dickinson coming up seeing as how Eil Ni C is 99% to come up
    Remember in 2012 when Plath and Heaney were 99% sure to come up
    Remember in 2014 when Heaney was 99% sure to come up
    Remember in 2015...... Everyone has as much a chance as the next person (except Plath probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

tiernand4 wrote: »

I'm pretty confident Dickinson will come up. Rarely do they put up the most predicable ones. I think one should be counter intuitive when predicting. Just look at the 'Pleaney' year as an example.

Dickinson has got a great chance. Ni Chuilleanáin is on next year and in a few years time. She'll come up in her own time.

Three poets that are on our course we're on last year's paper. I'm not sure when the last time this happened was, but chances are that one of those will be repeated (Yeats and Plath are unlikely this year as well, despite Yeat's anniversary).

It's quite annoying, because I find her so hard to study! Don't understand what half of her stuff means! I hope they put on Plath again. One can dream! (I'll be crying with laughter if they do, especially since I'll be the one in a hundred who would be doing her!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jbsbfass

I know I might be pushing my luck but has anyone a sample essay on the comparative? doesnt matter what mode it is.. its just I haven't anything done for the comparative and i'm starting to panic, so i just hope to learn of an essay or two.. Please help I would be over the moon btw the three texts ive done are TKS, HMMTB and TGG, if you have an essay on anyone of those please let me know.. Thank you !!

I'm pretty confident Dickinson will come up. Rarely do they put up the most predicable ones. I think one should be counter intuitive when predicting. Just look at the 'Pleaney' year as an example.

Dickinson has got a great chance. Ni Chuilleanáin is on next year and in a few years time. She'll come up in her own time.

Three poets that are on our course we're on last year's paper. I'm not sure when the last time this happened was, but chances are that one of those will be repeated (Yeats and Plath are unlikely this year as well, despite Yeat's anniversary).

It's quite annoying, because I find her so hard to study! Don't understand what half of her stuff means! I hope they put on Plath again. One can dream! (I'll be crying with laughter if they do, especially since I'll be the one in a hundred who would be doing her!)
    Make than 2 in a hundred bud, you're not alone ;)

• Advertisement

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Make than 2 in a hundred bud, you're not alone ;)

Haha, Plath to come every year for five years in a row! :D

Haha, Plath to come every year for five years in a row! :D

Well if she comes up this year, they certainly won't be expecting her next year.

Well if she comes up this year, they certainly won't be expecting her next year.

Yeah that's the horrible thing about it. I would have expected her to come up if she wasn't on it the year after. They'd probably run out of ideas for what question to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

This is the issue with her coming up (if she does) three years in a row. Where do they stop?! Plath to become a staple? WHO KNOWS

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

For the comparative I have to ask- How do you guys study this??
    Ive chosen a theme that works with all of them and chosen key scenes that highlight
    this theme and chosen key quotes that highlight the complexity of this issue but to be honest
    I have no clue how to study the comparative?? I can compare really well when I know what im
    comparing :/ My comparatives are Juno and the paycock, how many miles to Babylon and the kings
    speech and Im really hoping for an A. The theme chosen is relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Remember in 2012 when Plath and Heaney were 99% sure to come up
    Remember in 2014 when Heaney was 99% sure to come up
    Remember in 2015...... Everyone has as much a chance as the next person (except Plath probably)

Ah but you see that's what the exam comissioners want you to think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

So whats actually predicted to come up?
    ENC?!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

In terms of Othello would one be confident with prepared answers on Role of Women/Character essays on Othello, Iago and Desdemona/theme of jealousy and symbolism/imagery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    In terms of Othello would one be confident with prepared answers on Role of Women/Character essays on Othello, Iago and Desdemona/theme of jealousy and symbolism/imagery?

That would get you covered alright! Single text isnt much as the other marks comapred to comparative and poetry!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

Anyone here doing The Great Gatsby as a single
    Text? If yes what sort of questions are ye expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

For the comparative study, is it okay to bull****?

I mean, the examiner has a ton of papers to correct, and chances are they didn't read/watch what is being compared. And even if they did, a seemingly realistic yet false quote or reference isn't going to arouse even the slightest of suspicion.

Watcha guys say?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

ecoste wrote: »
    For the comparative study, is it okay to bull****?

I mean, the examiner has a ton of papers to correct, and chances are they didn't read/watch what is being compared. And even if they did, a seemingly realistic yet false quote or reference isn't going to arouse even the slightest of suspicion.

Watcha guys say?

They'll recognise misquotes I'd say. They have to read everything that's been written on every paper, so talking white about stuff that makes no sense will make you look like a dumbass and you'll lose marks for the purpose, which will bring everything else down

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

Pacman96 wrote: »
    Anyone here doing The Great Gatsby as a single
    Text? If yes what sort of questions are ye expecting

Yes I am. You're the first person I've come across who's doing it as the typical one is Othello. I guess this meaning we can amuse the examiner with something different.

I think questions based on characters might come up with things like symbols (the weather, Daisy etc.) Fingers crossed it won't be a hard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

Im hoping for something like why is gatsby great or why is gatsby considered as a tragic hero
    Or the female role in great gatsby then talk about daisy and myrtle

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frie

For poetry, I'm studying In Chuilleanáin and Montague.
    For Othello, I'm doing the theme of Jealousy, Hatred and revenge
    For comparative (A dolls house, The kings Speech, How many miles to Babylon): I'm thinking literary genre and General vision and viewpoint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Do you think it would be safe to only prepare for Literary Genre? I would do theme as well but I have no idea how to answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Are ye going to use many quotes for the comp. study? Haven't really learned many but still might throw a few into my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StoneRed

how safe do ye think it is to only really know montague and ENC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

For othello female question or the theme of jealousy/ Othello's downfall

For comparative theme or issue( love this one) or literary genre

For poetry Eilean ni c , John montague ( easy to learn) Yeats seeing as it's 150 anniversary this year ,

Yeats, Ni Chuilleanáin and Montague won't come up together. That would be three out of three irish poets.

I don't think Yeats and Montague will come up together, they're both Irish and Male, only two like that. With the amount of foreign poets, I think it will go like:

One common foreign male: Donne or Frost
    One less renowned foreign male: Hardy
    One Irish male: Yeats or Montague
    One female poet: Dickinson, Ni Chuilleanáin, Plath

Of those, Frost, Hardy, Montague and Dickinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Oh for FFS lads, what have we been doing for two years :L. Anyway I suggest ye be smart in regards to English, Yeats, Plath and Dickinson occurred last year, Plath two years in a row so she is out of the question and anyone who studied here sorry to say she ain't coming up , I suggest that it will be frost, montague, Hardy and Ni Chuillean, Hardy by far the hardest to write on, Most marks will go two ni Chuillean, always a female poet there. Comparative learn general vision or viewpoint (most vague and predictable) will come up I suggest learn theme or issue always. Do not stress on learning four or five poets learn two from my list and an emphasis on one, no more no less. Break out the key notes. I suggest reading the essays and listening to them repeatedly as it is like hearing a song and knowing the lyricals. The leaving cert is a test of memory not actual ability. If you learn the essays you will do well. If you avg a C1 in everything guess what. You'd get a C1 the mystery a of the leaving huh? You don't need to get an. a1 in everyway. Dickinson Yeats and Plath won't be coming up, they are on the course for next year too hence the ones I've listed have too come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I hope Frost comes up otherwise I am screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

This is painful to read. The whole spiel from the SEC is that "we're trying to be unpredictable". That means anyone can come up. Trends could be thrown out the window and they just picked the names of the poets out of a hat. Predicting is an endless cycle.
    -"Yeats came up last year, so he can't come up this year"
    -"Nah that's too predictable, so he has to come up this year. Plus it's his 150th anniversary so that means he has to come up"
    -"But since it's the 150th anniversary, it would be really obvious to study him, so they won't put him on"
    -"That's what most people will think, so it would be unpredictable to put him on"
    -"But......"
    You get my point.
    Just spend the time that you would predicting on studying 5-6 poets really well.

This is painful to read. The whole spiel from the SEC is that "we're trying to be unpredictable". That means anyone can come up. Trends could be thrown out the window and they just picked the names of the poets out of a hat. Predicting is an endless cycle.
    -"Yeats came up last year, so he can't come up this year"
    -"Nah that's too predictable, so he has to come up this year. Plus it's his 150th anniversary so that means he has to come up"
    -"But since it's the 150th anniversary, it would be really obvious to study him, so they won't put him on"
    -"That's what most people will think, so it would be unpredictable to put him on"
    -"But......"
    You get my point.
    Just spend the time that you would predicting on studying 5-6 poets really well.

Predictions are very useful. If you know how the examiners play their own game, you could be looking at an option of three or four poets on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gabsterman

I have an answer on theme or issue prepared and I have 2/3 lines to compare each text in each paragraph would this be enough to secure a high be or A or do I need more HELP!?! 😅

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement