Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Aye, there's no magic number.

1) Make good / relevant points which answer the question asked.

2) Back up / illustrate your points with relevant quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Congrats! Going for the A1 myself, got 85% in the mocks! You don't happen to have that Yeats essay you got full marks on do you?

Thank you! Oh you'll get it no bother then, I got a B3 in my English mocks last year haha :D and no sorry, I don't have the essay because I made it up on the day and it wasnt prepared from notes or anything beforehand. None of my work was. Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Thank you! Oh you'll get it no bother then, I got a B3 in my English mocks last year haha :D and no sorry, I don't have the essay because I made it up on the day and it wasnt prepared from notes or anything beforehand. None of my work was. Sorry :(

Kudos to you for being able to develop your own responses and formulate your own answers. Not many can.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Kudos to you for being able to develop your own responses and formulate your own answers. Not many can.

I just felt that true personal responses came from within , and that this would make them unique and stand out. I kinda thought it was the done thing to make it up as you go along as well haha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

What's everyone's plans for the composition? It's my worst part of the paper and I find it difficult to make up a story on the spot, and wouldn't be able to think of enough points to write about for anything else. I'm wondering whether I should write maybe an essay or two now and then just use the same storyline in the real thing. Is anyone else doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Great Disapointments

Does anyone think Donne will come up?

What's everyone's plans for the composition? It's my worst part of the paper and I find it difficult to make up a story on the spot, and wouldn't be able to think of enough points to write about for anything else. I'm wondering whether I should write maybe an essay or two now and then just use the same storyline in the real thing. Is anyone else doing this?

Unless you're really good at the short story, don't go for it. The Personal Essay is easier to get marks in, because it doesn't need a narrative structure, characterisation, atmosphere etc. and is more like your thoughts flowing onto the page.

Unless you're really good at the short story, don't go for it. The Personal Essay is easier to get marks in, because it doesn't need a narrative structure, characterisation, atmosphere etc. and is more like your thoughts flowing onto the page.

Thanks for the advice, but the most I've done on personal writing is about two pages and I'm not one to be able to write emotionally on a page! I find that I'm good at creating atmosphere and adding character traits, just my general storylines tends to be weak.

If I get an argument on global warming, I'll do that. I can talk all day about global warming!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lawlessaine

The poets I've studied are:
    ENC
    Montague
    Frost
    Donne
    Hardy

This list comes from my English teacher last year who is
    pretty much a God when it comes to English predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Ok, i am really scared for english next week. I am fine for paper 1 as I am good on the composition etc... but I am really unprepared for Paper 2. I just want to know if people think I amtaking a risk by only leanring the following:

Poets:

John Donne
    Emily Dickinson
    Eiléan ní Chuilleanáin
    Yeats

Comparative:
    Just Theme

Othello:
    All the women and their role in society
    desdemona and emilia individually
    Othello
    Iago
    and Othello and Iago together

I know im cutting out a lot but I only need a C1. I just want to know if i should really consider studying anything else ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Comparative:
    Just Theme
    One comparative mode is kinda risky

OMGeary wrote: »
    One comparative mode is kinda risky

Unless its literary genre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Ok, i am really scared for english next week. I am fine for paper 1 as I am good on the composition etc... but I am really unprepared for Paper 2. I just want to know if people think I amtaking a risk by only leanring the following:

Poets:

John Donne
    Emily Dickinson
    Eiléan ní Chuilleanáin
    Yeats

Comparative:
    Just Theme

Othello:
    All the women and their role in society
    desdemona and emilia individually
    Othello
    Iago
    and Othello and Iago together

I know im cutting out a lot but I only need a C1. I just want to know if i should really consider studying anything else ?

you're not really cutting out a lot! you have pretty much everything covered. Apart from the comparative. You probably will be fine but do another V and VP, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

Ok so I'm planning a Dickinson essay and was wondering, can you use the same poem twice to back up two different points? Eg. I have a paragraph on the theme of nature that I used to talk about I tasted a liquor never brewed, if I speak about imagery can I mention that poem again in that paragraph just briefly? Like 3 or 4 lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Hi all,
    Id really appreciate someones help with paper 1 the composing for the SHORT STORY.
    For the mocks, I wrote what I thought was a personal essay under the personal essay title
    but my teacher said that I wouldn't have scored a lot higher if I titled it as a short story
    under one of the other titles. He told me to learn it off for June. I have just spent the
    last hour going through it and changing some of the language in it etc I was just wondering
    if im being too risky going it with just a learned off short story or should I write out a few??
    Also, Is it ok for a short story to not have a definite ending? Like at the start my persons waiting
    on results then she gets them then she deals with them but I never say what the results are of
    or anything but does my story need to have a solid conclusion? Thanks so much for your help :)

Hi all,
    I was just wondering
    if im being too risky going it with just a learned off short story or should I write out a few??
    Also, Is it ok for a short story to not have a definite ending? Like at the start my persons waiting
    on results then she gets them then she deals with them but I never say what the results are of
    or anything but does my story need to have a solid conclusion? Thanks so much for your help :)

For your own safety I not bank on just 1 essay. You could spend hours learning this essay to perfection and it may be impossible to fit the story into the theme of the paper e.g last years short stories were a ghost story and a science fiction story. Also to answer your second question , it is always best to leave short stories on a cliff hanger e.g make the examiner want more. Short stories with a happy ever after or doom at the end are predictable and boring for examiners.

Hope this is of so help and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Oh my God, this username.
    I'm quite nervous for english, although it's one of my stronger subjects...
    I really hope Frost or even Yeats comes up (though Yeats probably won't).
    Can't deal with Eileen and her vomitting child, and my teacher didn't give us many notes on Montague.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Casio123

For a short story I would reccommend to follow these five steps in order !
    1. Atmospheric Setting
    2. Character development (2-3 characters at the most)
    3. Build up of tension & suspense
    4. Climax
    5. Resolution

There a key aspect in any short story!

Oh my God, this username.
    I'm quite nervous for english, although it's one of my stronger subjects...
    I really hope Frost or even Yeats comes up (though Yeats probably won't).
    Can't deal with Eileen and her vomitting child, and my teacher didn't give us many notes on Montague.
    You and me both bud. Frost is the only one that comes close to the might of Yeats. If neither of those two come up I'm f****d. Really don't want to have to answer on dickinson/hardy.

And we didn't even do Dickinson/Hardy.
    lololololololol /dies

• Advertisement

And we didn't even do Dickinson/Hardy.
    lololololololol /dies

What would you do if Yeats and Frosty came up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Cant express how ****ed and **** i am at poetry, can someone help i got 20 out of 50 in pres with no work i need a damn B , literally just going to use key notes :(

What would you do if Yeats and Frosty came up?

I'd be happy! Well, not happy. Just relieved. Who feels happy during exams?
    I'd probably end up with Frost.

I'd be happy! Well, not happy. Just relieved. Who feels happy during exams?
    I'd probably end up with Frost.

Only people who balance their accounts in Accounting knows how it feels to be happy in an exam!

I'll be happy if I get a choice of Hardy or Plath; jealousy or gender in Othello; and both a theme and general vision question to come up :)

Only people who balance their accounts in Accounting knows how it feels to be happy in an exam!

I'll be happy if I get a choice of Hardy or Plath; jealousy or gender in Othello; and both a theme and general vision question to come up :)

Hahah. Yeah, I'd like a jealousy question on Othello. Dreading the comparative tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

Anyone have a link to a good sample essay for literary genre? For I'm not scared, Juno and the paycock and how many miles

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Patsy6546 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to a good sample essay for literary genre? For I'm not scared, Juno and the paycock and how many miles

There is a sample essay for these texts in Key Notes if you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClaireF__

what are ye planning to study for Othello? :)

Good luck getting a Plath question!

• Advertisement

is there a strong bet on the women to come up for othello ? would love a question on them to be honest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement