Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

How does one lay their answer out if a question comes up on literary genre?
    I know you can't compare or contrast anything but do you keep your three texts in one paragraph when talking about eg Imagery / Symbolism?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tcofla

I think I'm the only person in the country who doesn't like frost, seems a bit of a fascist pr1ck IMO, when's Plath up next? On the course like is she on it next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jbsbfass

will i be ok with 3 poets studied in dept?
    I have Eilean NiC and Frost studied in dept should i study dickinson or yeats as my third? what has the better chance of coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

jbsbfass wrote: »
    will i be ok with 3 poets studied in dept?
    I have Eilean NiC and Frost studied in dept should i study dickinson or yeats as my third? what has the better chance of coming up?

Dickinson. If Ni Chuilleanain doesn't come up, then a different woman will (most likely) come up. Whereas if you studied Yeats, all three of them could potentially not come up as they all have different general characteristics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

How does one lay their answer out if a question comes up on literary genre?
    I know you can't compare or contrast anything but do you keep your three texts in one paragraph when talking about eg Imagery / Symbolism?

Pleaseee!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

I know you can't compare or contrast anything
    For Literary Genre you still have to compare.
    I think I'm the only person in the country who doesn't like frost
    No, I don't like him either, the only good poem of his is The road not Taken

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

OMGeary wrote: »
    For Literary Genre you still have to compare.

No, I don't like him either, the only good poem of his is The road not Taken

You ought to read "After Apple Picking"

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

would any English enthusiast here be willing to go through a paragraph or two of my GVV essay with me? And I'll return the favour :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone have notes on how to answer the unseen poetry section in English HL? The first time anyone in my class saw it and answered it was in the mocks, our teacher has never gone through it. So, any tips? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I had a dream last night where:

- Frost
    - Dickinson
    - Ní Chuilleanáin
    - Donne

Came up! I have 3 out of these studied so I wouldn't be too big a disaster for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Casio123

My class have studied
    Montague
    Frost
    W.B.Yeats
    Plath
    Dickinson

Would it be risky if I just studied Montague and frost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Casio123 wrote: »
    My class have studied
    Montague
    Frost
    W.B.Yeats
    Plath
    Dickinson

Would it be risky if I just studied Montague and frost ?

It will always be risky studying less than 5 poets, as 4 come up, studying 4 means there is a possibility 4 other ones will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jbsbfass

For the Othello Q, What is the predication of what will come up, will it be a question of jealousy(which i think it will be) or will it be a question on a charater ( Iago, Desdemona) ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Anyone else going to take a risk and not study 5 poets? I have Montague, Frost and Dickinson done. The other two our class have done are Plath and Ní Chuilleanáin. I can't see Plath coming up and I don't particularly like Ní Chuilleanáin poetry. Surely one of Frost, Dickinson or Montague will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Casio123

jbsbfass wrote: »
    For the Othello Q, What is the predication of what will come up, will it be a question of jealousy(which i think it will be) or will it be a question on a charater ( Iago, Desdemona) ????

My teacher is almost sure it will be a Q on the role of woman (desdemona and bianca) or else jealousy and revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Has any ideas about the great gatsby?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 papaoutai

Blue giant wrote: »
    Anyone else going to take a risk and not study 5 poets? I have Montague, Frost and Dickinson done. The other two our class have done are Plath and Ní Chuilleanáin. I can't see Plath coming up and I don't particularly like Ní Chuilleanáin poetry. Surely one of Frost, Dickinson or Montague will come up.

I'm taking the risk of studying four poets. I have studied Frost, Montague, Dickinson and Ní Chuilleanáin. My teacher also covered Plath but she's unlikely to come up as you said so I'm giving her the skip. Fingers crossed we'll be safe!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Kremin wrote: »
    It will always be risky studying less than 5 poets, as 4 come up, studying 4 means there is a possibility 4 other ones will come up.
    Indeed.

Admittedly the chances of being caught if you have 4 are very small, but it happened to a couple of people on this forum the year before last.

It's always worth having at least a quick look over a 5th, so that if you do get caught, you can make some kind of an attempt at an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

So for poetry I've revised Montague, Frost, Donne and Ní Chuilleanáin. I want to cover a 5th to be safe, who would ye recommend? My class also covered Hardy, Plath and Yeats.

Also thanks to the person who posted links about the Unseen Poetry, they were very helpful! :D

• Advertisement

Troxck wrote: »
    So for poetry I've revised Montague, Frost, Donne and Ní Chuilleanáin. I want to cover a 5th to be safe, who would ye recommend? My class also covered Hardy, Plath and Yeats.

Also thanks to the person who posted links about the Unseen Poetry, they were very helpful! :D

Yeats is the best poet on the course, and it's 150 years since his birth. The SEC also love Yeats and are keen on examining him. Hardy, while his poems contain great meaning and emotions, aren't very good, but he hasn't been examined since 2006. Nobody is predicting him for some reason, but I think he's this years dark horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Hey people, I did Yeats last year and got 100 percent in the question (God knows how :D ). Anyway, I probably sound like a contradicting idiot but I'd recommend answering another poet. I've heard that examiners mark him harder than any other poet due to the fact one must appreciate history just as much as poetry, which can be difficult. And anybody hoping for an A1 should really be appreciating poetry, I don't think it's a love that's easily faked :)

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Hey people, I did Yeats last year and got 100 percent in the question (God knows how :D ). Anyway, I probably sound like a contradicting idiot but I'd recommend answering another poet. I've heard that examiners mark him harder than any other poet due to the fact one must appreciate history just as much as poetry, which can be difficult. And anybody hoping for an A1 should really be appreciating poetry, I don't think it's a love that's easily faked :)

Completely agree. Only true lovers of poetry seem to like W.B. What's the chances of him appearing this year do you reckon? Really hoping he will, Plath and Frost are the only two other poets that even come close, so I'll be disappointed to not get the opportunity to answer on him.

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Completely agree. Only true lovers of poetry seem to like W.B. What's the chances of him appearing this year do you reckon? Really hoping he will, Plath and Frost are the only two other poets that even come close, so I'll be disappointed to not get the opportunity to answer on him.

My 18th was paper 2 last year and I was in tears when I saw him! Tears of happiness obviously :) to be honest I haven't done any predicting for people this year so I have no idea how likely or unlikely he is. But even true lovers of poetry and history can fall victim to really tough marking on him. I think Plath wont come up if it helps :)

My 18th was paper 2 last year and I was in tears when I saw him! Tears of happiness obviously :) to be honest I haven't done any predicting for people this year so I have no idea how likely or unlikely he is. But even true lovers of poetry and history can fall victim to really tough marking on him. I think Plath wont come up if it helps :)

The things I'd do to swap situations with you. Only thing is, if he comes up this year, nobody else in my class seems to be doing him, which is even better! What did you get in English overall then?

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    The things I'd do to swap situations with you. Only thing is, if he comes up this year, nobody else in my class seems to be doing him, which is even better! What did you get in English overall then?

If he comes up you are in an excellent position then, I don't think he will be heavily answered this year due to the tough marking of the years previous and the fact that he is quite unlikely to feature. So go for it!
    Myself, I got an incredibly unexpected and utterly undeserved A1 that I spent quite some time in shock over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Hoping for a nice article for the essays on Paper 1. Something about technology would be nice.

If he comes up you are in an excellent position then, I don't think he will be heavily answered this year due to the tough marking of the years previous and the fact that he is quite unlikely to feature. So go for it!
    Myself, I got an incredibly unexpected and utterly undeserved A1 that I spent quite some time in shock over :pac:

Congrats! Going for the A1 myself, got 85% in the mocks! You don't happen to have that Yeats essay you got full marks on do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eamon305

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how many quotes examiners are looking for in an Othello essay to get an A1?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

eamon305 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how many quotes examiners are looking for in an Othello essay to get an A1?

Thanks

About 3 fiddy.

A quote or two for every point you make is loads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement