Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Center-backs have always dropped deep to help their full-backs. Same for the half-backs and corner-backs. Its called good defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Hey Guys,

Any news on our injury front?

Is Darragh Fives far away from full fitness?
    Hows Daniels coming along?
    Only info I have here Down Under is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Orizio wrote: »
    Center-backs have always dropped deep to help their full-backs. Same for the half-backs and corner-backs. Its called good defending.

The half backline dropping deep when the ball is in their half and corner backs protecting the goal, which Kilkenny were the best at, is one thing. What I'm talking about is de Burca standing on his own, right in front of our full back and then Barron drops in around the half back line where he picks up a mountain of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

maths paper 2 is on monday 8th june so that rules out Shane Bennett for the cork game id say. He must be the only senoir player in the whole championship doing his leaving cert this year.

Hopefully he will play and just go home to bed after the match lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Waterford Senior Footballers play Tipperary in the Munster Championship next Sunday, I am led to understand that these two teams played in that competition in Semple Stadium in 1994.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me if this was the only occasion both teams played in Semple Stadium in that competition?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Xenophile wrote: »
    Waterford Senior Footballers play Tipperary in the Munster Championship next Sunday, I am led to understand that these two teams played in that competition in Semple Stadium in 1994.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me if this was the only occasion both teams played in Semple Stadium in that competition?

That's a good question. I can never remember playing Tipp in football championship in Thurles. It was always Clonmel but past few years Tipp play all there matches in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Darragh Fives injured again after the training camp last week. Calf muscle this time. You have to feel for the chap at this stage he's had no luck with injuries over the past 2 yrs. With no match practice behind him its hard to see him featuring against Cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

archieknox wrote: »
    Darragh Fives injured again after the training camp last week. Calf muscle this time. You have to feel for the chap at this stage he's had no luck with injuries over the past 2 yrs. With no match practice behind him its hard to see him featuring against Cork now.

Sweet Jesus that's unlucky.
    Was hoping we'd see him soon. if he cant reproduce his form versus the cats a few years back he'd be a real asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

archieknox wrote: »
    Did he tear the calf muscle? Poor lad is getting no breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I wonder is the Darragh Fives calf injury secondary to the hamstring problems he is having. Seems to be unlikely to feature prominently this year which is a real shame. To be down 2 vice captains is a big blow. That's the expected Center Back and Center Forward out now, not many counties would overcome that.
    However there is good news I believe on Maurice Shanahan and he may be ok for Cork. Patrick Curran and Conor Gleeson are two other additions. I did think Conor Gleeson was just on the football panel but he may be on both. Curran and Gleeson's involvement in the training camp may be just to facilitate a Senior v U-21 challenge (that game on tomorrow I think) Will they make the bench v Cork I dunno, doubt it.
    There probably won't be much change in the line up from the League Final.
    Tomas Connors and Donie Breathnach could do a job at 11, Paudie Prender or Daniels could come in at wing with Austin Gleeson moving up and then there is Martin O Neill who can hit frees. My guess would be to fit in Brian O halloran in the forward unit and keep disruption to a minimum.
    for Cork I see Brian Murphy is back, I wonder did that cause Mullane to twitch a little..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Could anybody try name an u21 team? So many players I don't know how to pick 15!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Darragh Fives is not injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Darragh Fives is not injured.

Pretty sure I saw a picture of him togged off for the open training session there today or yesterday to support this.

If he was togged off he must be ok.

Let hope to se him at some stage Saturday Night then

U-21 team guess

Barry

McNulty-Shane Roche-Conor Gleeson

Aussie-Burke-MOB

Harney-Devine

Shane Bennet-DJ Foran-Dunford

Patrick Curran-Steven Bennett-Mikey Kearney

Dunno how Conor Murray and Donnelly are fixed

Cormac Curran, Kieran Power, Kieran Bennett, Tommy Waring among others

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

3ships wrote: »
    U-21 team guess

Barry

McNulty-Shane Roche-Conor Gleeson

Aussie-Burke-MOB

Harney-Devine

Shane Bennet-DJ Foran-Dunford

Patrick Curran-Steven Bennett-Mikey Kearney

Dunno how Conor Murray and Donnelly are fixed

Cormac Curran, Kieran Power, Kieran Bennett, Tommy Waring among others

Shane Roche and Tommy Waring overage. I presume you mean Colm Roche. Conor Murray not on panel. Ryan Donnelly going well.

cascade12 wrote: »
    Shane Roche and Tommy Waring overage. I presume you mean Colm Roche. Conor Murray not on panel. Ryan Donnelly going well.

Might have been thrown by some of the U-21 trial games where sometimes a senior panelist was used to get a run but pretty sure Shane Roche is U-21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

https://www.facebook.com/gaawaterford/photos/pcb.840434342707278/840434079373971/?type=1&theater

The photo I was on about earlier, taken from their training tonight. Open to correction, pretty sure that is Darragh Fives on the right and Daniels on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Might have been thrown by some of the U-21 trial games where sometimes a senior panelist was used to get a run but pretty sure Shane Roche is U-21

Shane Roche is not u21. I wish he was.

cascade12 wrote: »
    Shane Roche is not u21. I wish he was.

Fair enough, just thinking back to the minor team 2012 and probably got mixed up with Jason Roche, Colm Roche is another strong candidate of course

• Advertisement

The minor team from 2012:

Waterford — S Barry; K Bennett, T Bourke, Shane Bennett; K Power, S McNulty, T Devine; C Sheahan, C Leamy; D Foran, M Harney, A O’Sullivan; Stephen Bennett, D Flynn, C Curran. Subs: J Roche for K Bennett (h-t), A Gleeson for O’Sullivan (45), MJ Kearney for Curran (48), T Tobin for Sheahan (64), C Curran for Flynn (66), J Welch for Leamy (70), W Hallisey for S Bennett (78).

?type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/gaawaterford/photos/pcb.840434342707278/840434142707298/?type=1&theater
    Who are the players behind Patrick Curran at the front? Is it Ryan Donnelly and Shane Bennett?

https://www.facebook.com/gaawaterford/photos/pcb.840434342707278/840434079373971/?type=1&theater

The photo I was on about earlier, taken from their training tonight. Open to correction, pretty sure that is Darragh Fives on the right and Daniels on the left.

Is that Darragh fives with the blonde hair..............

but ye tend to agree and agree with Donnelly and Bennet in the other then again I thought Shane Roche was u-21, feck will have to sort out that FB line

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Shane Roche is overage this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

I expect Maurice to make it. Normally if someone is ‘50/50’ 3 or 4 weeks from a game its really a 70/30 or even an 80/20. Especially for something like bruising. On Patrick Curran, I don’t know how hes settled into the panel or how is performing in training / panel games etc but I think if hes adapting well hes got to be in contention for a place. Hes got the ability and the mentality for the big occasion weve seen that in the past and hes the only player in the county who comes near to Mahony’s consistency with the free taking.

As for Darragh Fives I just skip over any posts that mention his name because he seems to draw idle speculation on here like no other player.

Shane Roche is overage this year

Ye got that wrong.

Was trying to pick a team based on recent challenge. I'd probably pick meself Tadgh Bourke FB just to cut out any nonense back there like last year and Austin Gleeson CB and build from there and Donnelly if going well to come in.

No matter how good this team is it'll be difficult to win an All Ireland
    with these fixtures

Cork away
    CLare away
    Tipp/Limerick Munster Final
    Galway
    Kilkenny/Wexford

They really only have the week and a half between the Cork games to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

I would have Billy Nolan in goal for the u21 game.. I think he's an outstanding goalkeeper and far better than barry.. Barry has a massive puck out but last year v Cork I thought his distribution and the bread and butter of a keeper was poor and playing for Lismore I haven't seen anything to change my opinion.. He is also very deceptable to balls on his left being a left handed goal keeper.. He topped a puck out to Daly in the second half last year which was criminal and ended up in the net.. Albeit Daly didn't help him

Wouldn't be fearful of other counties they should be of us over the next few years at this grade..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Paddy Curran is there alright judging by the pictures - so he has beeen called up to the training panel at least.
    On Daragh Fives hopefully he is not injured - but last night was one of the nicest evenings of the summer - seeing a guy in a jersey and shorts isnt evidence enough that he is not injured, he could have been there for some physical therapy or a rubdown, for which - in most instances a lad would throw on the gear for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Xenophile wrote: »

That's going to bug me now. I have a list of all our results in the football championship up to 2010 but I don't have the venues! There's a copy of The Munster Story in the reference section of the city library that has all the results for Munster GAA up to 1984. Might pop in there later this week. Damn and blast yer eyes for putting that into my head!

• Advertisement

Did anyone go to the open training session last night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement