Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

The sooner there are the equivalent competitions as the Christy Ring/Nicky Rackard/Lory Meagher for football the better. Waterford,Longford,Wicklow and about 20 more counties playing for the Sam Mcguire and not a prayer in hell of coming near competing for it let alone winning it. Waste of finances in Waterford especially. 5pts in 70mins says it all. Mcgrath cup my arse. People ranting on here about the future of Waterford football being bright when we won a Mickey mouse competition in the muck and sh**e,for gods sake will ye take a deep breath of reality and cop on. Yes I'm expecting the usual torrent of abuse for this post but its water off a ducks back. The proof of the pudding is in the eating! Over 100k spent to kick 5 balls over the bar in Thurles my god if you collected 15 fellas from Master Mcgrath to Melodys on the way up they'd have done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

archieknox wrote: »
    The sooner there are the equivalent competitions as the Christy Ring/Nicky Rackard/Lory Meagher for football the better. Waterford,Longford,Wicklow and about 20 more counties playing for the Sam Mcguire and not a prayer in hell of coming near competing for it let alone winning it. Waste of finances in Waterford especially. 5pts in 70mins says it all. Mcgrath cup my arse. People ranting on here about the future of Waterford football being bright when we won a Mickey mouse competition in the muck and sh**e,for gods sake will ye take a deep breath of reality and cop on. Yes I'm expecting the usual torrent of abuse for this post but its water off a ducks back. The proof of the pudding is in the eating! Over 100k spent to kick 5 balls over the bar in Thurles my god if you collected 15 fellas from Master Mcgrath to Melodys on the way up they'd have done that!

Agree fully dont know why we bother with it! Imagine what Kerry would trounce us by

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

F*cking football!! A game for bad hurlers!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Lads we have more important topics to discuss than that half soccer half rugby sh*te. First round of the championship this day week, we are going in as underdogs and Cork have been quietly waiting for a backlash. What will be the line up for the intermediate team, who will be our free taker for the seniors and who will start instead of Pauric.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

A tiered football championship wouldn't do our footballers much use if it's implemented the same way as lower tiers in hurling. Playing in the Christie Ring and lower tier competitions isn't doing any team there any favours, Kerry are on the up in hurling but they repeatedly hit glass ceilings that slows down their progress. Imagine if we were in a Christie Ring type competition in 1998, we'd get promoted on our form that year and then we'd have 1999 where momentum is gone and we're back where we started. We'd still be in the doldrums.

The Christie Ring is run off early enough that the winners could easily be acoomodated in the qualifiers, they'd get some chance to play teams at a higher level and might develop faster. Instead Kerry will prob win it and have to play in the Leinster round robin next year, despite being a Munster team. They'd also be bone idle all summer long, its a joke. I'd be all for a tiered football championship if it's set up to develop teams but if it's just going to make it a closed shop where teams that genuinely improve are stuck wallowing in the lower tiers what's the point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Weldone you. Delighted with yourself there, Proven right again. The rest of us all thought an all ireland football was in the offing if wed only listened to you all along eh.... ?Give yourself a big pat on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Tiered championship is a load of rubbish. Inter county set up needs to be revamped from underage up and club football needs a change. There's simply not enough football played in Waterford to get to any decent standard.

And nobody cares because we're a hurling county and that's the way it is. Nothing will be done about it and a tiered approach just means we will get roasted less often; we still wouldn't be in with a donkey's roar of winning anything other than pre-season cups.

Fair play to the team, they train hard all winter and know full well they will never win anything of note or even get a nice day out to croker but it's not for a lack of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lads we have more important topics to discuss than that half soccer half rugby sh*te. First round of the championship this day week, we are going in as underdogs and Cork have been quietly waiting for a backlash. What will be the line up for the intermediate team, who will be our free taker for the seniors and who will start instead of Pauric.

Doubt paddy curran will start as he didn't play in the wexford game last night . I'd have Jake Dillon take frees my team would be

1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 s Daniels
    4 n Connors
    5 p mahony
    6 a gleeson
    7 t DE burca
    8 k Moran
    9 Stephen Bennett
    10 t Devine
    11 j Barron
    12 j Dillon
    13 Shane Bennett
    14 m Walsh
    15 c dunford

We don't really have many forward options imo

U know ur getting old when ur older than most of the Waterford team lol

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

You couldn't be up to these cute Cork hoors, Tomás Mulcahy picks examples on the Sunday Game of half forwards coming back past midfield to help out defenders and says he hopes we don't see much of this negative stuff over the summer. I wonder who he could be giving a sly dig to with that one.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Doubt paddy curran will start as he didn't play in the wexford game last night . I'd have Jake Dillon take frees my team would be

1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 s Daniels
    4 n Connors
    5 p mahony
    6 a gleeson
    7 t DE burca
    8 k Moran
    9 Stephen Bennett
    10 t Devine
    11 j Barron
    12 j Dillon
    13 Shane Bennett
    14 m Walsh
    15 c dunford

We don't really have many forward options imo

U know ur getting old when ur older than most of the Waterford team lol

Paddy curran did play against wexford

• Advertisement

Bennett would hardly take the last few months off for the leaving and then play right in the middle of it, that makes no sense

But hes plays a challenge game 3 days before its due to start? Work that one out

Weldone you. Delighted with yourself there, Proven right again. The rest of us all thought an all ireland football was in the offing if wed only listened to you all along eh.... ?Give yourself a big pat on the back.[/😚 😚👄

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

jive wrote: »
    Tiered championship is a load of rubbish. Inter county set up needs to be revamped from underage up and club football needs a change. There's simply not enough football played in Waterford to get to any decent standard.

And nobody cares because we're a hurling county and that's the way it is. Nothing will be done about it and a tiered approach just means we will get roasted less often; we still wouldn't be in with a donkey's roar of winning anything other than pre-season cups.

Fair play to the team, they train hard all winter and know full well they will never win anything of note or even get a nice day out to croker but it's not for a lack of trying.
    Not true. There is as much Senior and Intermediate football played-in terms of games. The Nire, Ballinacourty and Stradbally can compete well at MUNSTER CLUB level. In Waterford football there is a tendency to be more club orientated than county orientated. It was the same in Offaly in the field of hurling until Dermot Healy came in and got the clubs to drop disagreements and pull together. There are enough good footballers between Ballinacourty, Stradbally and the Nire to put out a good team. The intermediate team looked to be nearly stronger on paper at any rate.
    Some players from the intermediate team could be chosen for the senior team.

Waterford senior hurlers have sustained heavy beatings from time to time. They had to get up and fight on. Time for the footballers to do the same . Time to drop the complaining and prepare for the qualifiers. They are not as bad as they looked today. They looked tired and stale. They were stuck to the ground and made Tipperary look better than it actually is. Too many Tipperary players were loose today. So picked off soft scores. Waterford must be positive. It has another opportunity to show what it is really capable of. The players are capable of much better than this. Did they over-train coming up to this match? Not so long ago they could have beaten Galway in the qualifiers.

Look at the hammering Longford got from Dublin today. Longford has only two or three hurling clubs. It is a pure football county.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Ropaire wrote: »
    You couldn't be up to these cute Cork hoors, Tomás Mulcahy picks examples on the Sunday Game of half forwards coming back past midfield to help out defenders and says he hopes we don't see much of this negative stuff over the summer. I wonder who he could be giving a sly dig to with that one.
    That's Cork for you. Not for nothing are they known as cute Cork hoors. The bookies seem to think that there is no point in Waterford turning for the match. What better motivation could you have as a Waterford player?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

The Waterford football team don't look fit to me it's hard to believe they are training as hard as other teams this result was easy to predict some of the starting team have picked and chose both training and games this year as they saw fit. Our junior football team had a right game against them last weekend by all accounts maybe done of them would have been better playing senior football. I hope they put up a good show in the qualifiers was it last year they nearly beat Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

The Waterford football team don't look fit to me it's hard to believe they are training as hard as other teams this result was easy to predict some of the starting team have picked and chose both training and games this year as they saw fit. Our junior football team had a right game against them last weekend by all accounts maybe done of them would have been better playing senior football. I hope they put up a good show in the qualifiers was it last year they nearly beat Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Picasso100

culbaire wrote: »
    Not true. There is as much Senior and Intermediate football played-in terms of games. The Nire, Ballinacourty and Stradbally can compete well at MUNSTER CLUB level. In Waterford football there is a tendency to be more club orientated than county orientated. It was the same in Offaly in the field of hurling until Dermot Healy came in and got the clubs to drop disagreements and pull together. There are enough good footballers between Ballinacourty, Stradbally and the Nire to put out a good team. The intermediate team looked to be nearly stronger on paper at any rate.
    Some players from the intermediate team could be chosen for the senior team.

Waterford senior hurlers have sustained heavy beatings from time to time. They had to get up and fight on. Time for the footballers to do the same . Time to drop the complaining and prepare for the qualifiers. They are not as bad as they looked today. They looked tired and stale. They were stuck to the ground and made Tipperary look better than it actually is. Too many Tipperary players were loose today. So picked off soft scores. Waterford must be positive. It has another opportunity to show what it is really capable of. The players are capable of much better than this. Did they over-train coming up to this match? Not so long ago they could have beaten Galway in the qualifiers.

Look at the hammering Longford got from Dublin today. Longford has only two or three hurling clubs. It is a pure football county.

Yes they are as bad they looked today. There only hope is a Wicklow draw but I still wouldn't fancy them. Can't compare Dublin/Longford to WD/Tipp.
    Dub won by 27
    Tipp won by 22
    Tipp wouldn't tie Dublins shoelaces.
    We re just lucky we weren't playing Kerry and hopefully we don't get an Ulster team in the qualifier, good chance one of them could set a new a championship record for hammerings!
    €100k squandered on these lads, and children starving in Africa.
    Sooner a pin is put in every football in this county the better.

Back to the real sport 15/8 with boylesports...... Get on

Anyone know what the figure of $100k about?

The usual football trolls on here sneering and banging on about the financial resources side of it and how the money should be given to the hurlers 'because at least we have a chance of winning something'. Just a lazy argument imo and not the point of view of the genuine GAA supporters in this county. The footballers try every bit as hard as the hurlers with a lot more hurdles and limited resources to face. They are entitled to be given backing aswell. I know people were knocking the mcgrath cup success here a few months back and the words used by some was along the lines of 'it was embarrassing to win it'. Thats the opinion fair enough. But what seems to irk these people more than anything is the small pool of footballing people in waterford that cares. The people who fight hard to keep it alive. And when they get satisfaction from pretty small success it 'embarrasses' the big time Charlie hurling people. I dont think football should be scrapped just because its decreasing the chances of these so-called 'hurling fans' of having a big day out in the sun. These very same people would be the first to turn their back on the hurlers if things went pear-shaped.

A bleak day for waterford footballers yes. Not easy for the lads involved. Must be hard for them to see the light at the end of the tunnel after this. Hopefully they will soldier on and try do themselves justice in the qualifiers. Not a day for root and branch post-mortems. But thanks anyway to everyone for their efforts. And thanks to everyone who tries in vein to keep the football flag flying.

Anyone know what the figure of $100k about?

The usual football trolls on here sneering and banging on about the financial resources side of it and how the money should be given to the hurlers 'because at least we have a chance of winning something'. Just a lazy argument imo and not the point of view of the genuine GAA supporters in this county. The footballers try every bit as hard as the hurlers with a lot more hurdles and limited resources to face. They are entitled to be given backing aswell. I know people were knocking the mcgrath cup success here a few months back and the words used by some was along the lines of 'it was embarrassing to win it'. Thats the opinion fair enough. But what seems to irk these people more than anything is the small pool of footballing people in waterford that cares. The people who fight hard to keep it alive. And when they get satisfaction from pretty small success it 'embarrasses' the big time Charlie hurling people. I dont think football should be scrapped just because its decreasing the chances of these so-called 'hurling fans' of having a big day out in the sun. These very same people would be the first to turn their back on the hurlers if things went pear-shaped.

A bleak day for waterford footballers yes. Not easy for the lads involved. Must be hard for them to see the light at the end of the tunnel after this. Hopefully they will soldier on and try do themselves justice in the qualifiers. Not a day for root and branch post-mortems. But thanks anyway to everyone for their efforts. And thanks to everyone who tries in vein to keep the football flag flying.

You have a pop at everyone who is living in the real world when it comes to football in Waterford but you're on here doing the good Samaritan defending the indefensible. Have you gone to support their efforts all year? Can you enlighten us as to where the team needs to improve?Tactics?Fitness?Key players not performing? Key players missing? Your lazy argument is to defend them but nothing constructive is attached to your post. Barring the posters on here that are living away and can't attend the hurling games most of us have been following the team through thick and thin so this good time Charlie rubbish is another lazy argument. If you are a REAL die hard Waterford GAA supporter you surely would take an interest in the finances and what it costs to run all these teams year on year so I recommend you research that if you can and when you have fully understood the money side of it you will see our gripe. Nobody on here is saying not to play the game but know our limitations and work on it accordingly.
    I'm heading off now I think I'm due another pat on the back after this!!
    As for Sunday roll on the real game,the game we're good at and that's worth discussing. The most wide open all Ireland hurling championship for years and nothing I saw between Galway and Dublin would frighten me into thinking we're not at that standard. Still fearful of Tipp and Kilkenny but we're definitely in the chasing pack and closing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Their won't be too much change from the league final.

Stephan O' Keeffe
    Shane Fives. Barry Coughlan Noel Connors
    Austin Gleeson Tadgh de Burca Philip Mahoney
    Kevin Moran
    Jamie Barron
    Shane bennett. Brick Walsh. Jake Dillon
    Stephan Bennett. Maurice Shanahan. Colin Dunford

Subs: Tom Devine, Brian O Halloran, Stephan Daniels, Eddie Barrett, Patrick Curran, Shane O Sullivan, Martin O Neil, etc

I think that half forward position is between Shane Bennett and Tom Devine. If Maurice Shanahan isn't fit then Tom Devine is a definite starter. Its hard to know will Shane Bennett be available but considering he played in the challenge against Wexford this would tell me that he will be available. Our 1-9 is stronger than Corks 1-9 in my opinon. Cork may have a stronger forward line but i don't think theirs much between both sets of forwards especially as Horgan is not playing to his potential so far this season.
    I think discipline will be key for Waterford. If we can keep a high work rate throughout the 70 minutes and stay disciplined i think Waterford will win. Waterford have good players on the bench that can come into defence, midfield or attack whereas Cork really only have good options in attack due to their injury problems. If(big if) Waterford can limit Harnedys influence on the game i think that could take the sting out of Corks attack. It will be interesting to see what tactics JBM will use against Waterford that he didn't use in the league final. Im sure he'll have something up his sleeve but the question is, even if he does will it work?

• Advertisement

You have a pop at everyone who is living in the real world when it comes to football in Waterford but you're on here doing the good Samaritan defending the indefensible. Have you gone to support their efforts all year? Can you enlighten us as to where the team needs to improve?Tactics?Fitness?Key players not performing? Key players missing? Your lazy argument is to defend them but nothing constructive is attached to your post. Barring the posters on here that are living away and can't attend the hurling games most of us have been following the team through thick and thin so this good time Charlie rubbish is another lazy argument. If you are a REAL die hard Waterford GAA supporter you surely would take an interest in the finances and what it costs to run all these teams year on year so I recommend you research that if you can and when you have fully understood the money side of it you will see our gripe. Nobody on here is saying not to play the game but know our limitations and work on it accordingly.
    I'm heading off now I think I'm due another pat on the back after this!!
    As for Sunday roll on the real game,the game we're good at and that's worth discussing. The most wide open all Ireland hurling championship for years and nothing I saw between Galway and Dublin would frighten me into thinking we're not at that standard. Still fearful of Tipp and Kilkenny but we're definitely in the chasing pack and closing all the time.

Not having a pop at anyone and no haven’t been to any game as Ive been abroad myself with a couple years but went to enough football games down the years and know a lot of the players involved and think they deserve a bit of slack aswell. I don’t know about the current footballers finances that is why I asked, I assumed they were as miserable as ever. you say you are in the know maybe you could make your own criticism a bit more constructive then instead of the snide dismissive attitude of the footballers. Anyway It’s the same attitude on here with years about the money wasted on the footballers not just this year that is what I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

But hes plays a challenge game 3 days before its due to start? Work that one out

Strange one alright but it was a challenge - big difference to playing Cork in Championship right in the middle of it

Strange one alright but it was a challenge - big difference to playing Cork in Championship right in the middle of it

the risk of injury is the biggest thing at this stage. If he was to suffer a hand injury it would have consequences to his exams. I just hope hes not underestimating that risk. Im sure hurling is a welcome break for any young lad during the stress of exam time but its not like college exams where you can repeat again in the Autumn. The LC you have to repeat the entire year. I’m sure its entirely his own decision whether he makes himself available for Sunday or not, from a selfish point of view I hope he does. But from his own point of view I think he’d be mad to. I’m sure McGrath being a teacher will have him well advised but based on how he has been hurling it’s going to be very hard to be leave him out.

What do people think of Brian Murphy being broiught back into the Cork setup? Presumably to shore up the full back line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A clear example of where cork are at!!

While he will no doubt strengthen them....even if they do beat wat (Mahoney a huge loss)...at best it's papering over cracks and whoever they meet in a Munster final will hammer them!!

A clear example of where cork are at!!

While he will no doubt strengthen them....even if they do beat wat (Mahoney a huge loss)...at best it's papering over cracks and whoever they meet in a Munster final will hammer them!!

Yep not a good sign for them bringin a felah back in after retirement. A certain regular cork poster has been conspicuous by his absence lately.... although ive probably just jinxed it!!!!

What do people think of Brian Murphy being broiught back into the Cork setup? Presumably to shore up the full back line?

He was meant to be a colossus in the recent Cork Club championship which saw him recalled. Still I would be very surprised if he played any role being recalled so close to championship.
    If he plays a part JBM has no faith in the defenders he has.
    He is a big addition to them, he has seen it all, fitness won't be an issue and he is the type of the defender that doesn't care if he doesn't hit a ball as long as he stops his man from hitting it, so his hurling won't be an issue either.
    He is a marker so maybe he would be deployed to mark whoever is in the full forward line with Maurice (if fit), so picking up the likes of Stephen Bennett...
    Bit too much to expect him to be out on the half line but if he was around since the start of he year...
    Still though I think it would be crazy to expect him to see any action - he probably hasn't even had a chance to play a challenge game with cork since coming back? It would be a huge risk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I disagree, I doubt JMB is bringing him back 2 weeks before a championship match without him seeing action. What would the point of that be? The way Waterford play he'll be given a man marking job of one of the attackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Its a terrible indictment of their defense. Good an all as he was, hes 33 now and hasn't played inter county for two full years.

Lorcan Mc Loughlin is a solid hurler, no more, think he'd be lucky to be coming in off the bench in the great Cork team of 2004 and yet his injury you'd think they'd just lost Paudie Maher. I would imagine Aidan Walsh will go back wing back, and theyll have Kearney and O Shea midfield which would be an improvement but theyll need a third man out their given Dunfords tendency to drop out their.

The concern I'd have is will we be able to take advantage of their ailing defense? I don't doubt the ability of any of the players, but Devine and the two Bennetts are only in their first full season. Brick is starting to look more comfortable but still a converted forward. Outside of him, Jake Dillon is the most experienced forward and in a way hes only really in his second full season as he missed most of last year with injury.

Plenty of potential, but its all going to have to click.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I disagree, I doubt JMB is bringing him back 2 weeks before a championship match without him seeing action. What would the point of that be? The way Waterford play he'll be given a man marking job of one of the attackers.

I'd say he is back on board for matches later in the summer, throwing a guy in with two weeks under his belt would be insane in my mind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement