Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

maurice shan deff out according to daily mirror.

Everything seems to be going corks way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yeah, the daily mirror always say the truth. Should we even turn up to thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Brad1234 wrote: »
    I would have Billy Nolan in goal for the u21 game.. I think he's an outstanding goalkeeper and far better than barry.. Barry has a massive puck out but last year v Cork I thought his distribution and the bread and butter of a keeper was poor and playing for Lismore I haven't seen anything to change my opinion.. He is also very deceptable to balls on his left being a left handed goal keeper.. He topped a puck out to Daly in the second half last year which was criminal and ended up in the net.. Albeit Daly didn't help him

Wouldn't be fearful of other counties they should be of us over the next few years at this grade..
    An astonishing attack a very good goalkeeper. You may get some of your wishes fulfilled but not for the reason your think. By any chance could you point us to your achievements on the hurling field.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

culbaire wrote: »
    An astonishing attack a very good goalkeeper. You may get some of your wishes fulfilled but not for the reason your think. By any chance could you point us to your achievements on the hurling field.

An 'astonishing attack' come on now.. An attack would be to question his character which I haven't and going on 99% of lads in the Waterford set up he's probably a great guy individually.. But going on what I've seen of him in comparison to other keepers in Waterford I think he's down the pecking order.. No slight on him at all.. I think Billy Nolan if he stuck to goalkeeping would be better than anything we have a present.. But he looks like he'll have a career outfield but no reason why he can't play in goal for U21.. If Barry plays in goal and is exceptional I'd glady eat humble pie but the discussion was the U21 team and the area of interest I have in is goalkeeping so I gave my view on it.

There is a big difference between personal and judging them on their attributes. Things only get personal if its a consistent barrage of abuse or something of a personal nature.. This is based on hurling a sport we all enjoy.. no more no less.

I can never understand the list me your achievements arguments. If I told you I have a few all stars would it be believable on a anonymous public forum. (I don't by the way)

Just an opinion after seeing him in goal for years. I sure most people on here got scrutinized on their playing career too and didn't batt an eyelid at it.. Barry Coughlan is a good example of it on here.. Has been questioned since January and even now but not any of it was an 'astonishing attack' even though a lot of it was of a similar sentiment to my comment..

An 'astonishing attack' come on now.. An attack would be to question his character which I haven't and going on 99% of lads in the Waterford set up he's probably a great guy individually.. But going on what I've seen of him in comparison to other keepers in Waterford I think he's down the pecking order.. No slight on him at all.. I think Billy Nolan if he stuck to goalkeeping would be better than anything we have a present.. But he looks like he'll have a career outfield but no reason why he can't play in goal for U21.. If Barry plays in goal and is exceptional I'd glady eat humble pie but the discussion was the U21 team and the area of interest I have in is goalkeeping so I gave my view on it.

There is a big difference between personal and judging them on their attributes. Things only get personal if its a consistent barrage of abuse or something of a personal nature.. This is based on hurling a sport we all enjoy.. no more no less.

I can never understand the list me your achievements arguments. If I told you I have a few all stars would it be believable on a anonymous public forum. (I don't by the way)

Just an opinion after seeing him in goal for years. I sure most people on here got scrutinized on their playing career too and didn't batt an eyelid at it.. Barry Coughlan is a good example of it on here.. Has been questioned since January and even now but not any of it was an 'astonishing attack' even though a lot of it was of a similar sentiment to my comment..
    Reading your previous post one would think he was solely responsible for the U-21 defeat last year. You singled him out. It seems he has no good attributes as a keeper. Looks like you have an agenda. You kept referring to him as "barry". You couldn't even use his Christian name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

culbaire wrote: »
    Reading your previous post one would think he was solely responsible for the U-21 defeat last year. You singled him out. It seems he has no good attributes as a keeper. Looks like you have an agenda. You kept referring to him as "barry". You couldn't even use his Christian name.

Ah come on most sports guys are referenced by their surname for example im sure I've used Mullane, Moran, Flynn, Mcgrath, Queally to name a few. I also reference Daly in the original post.. Then you have the odd few legends who don't like Tony Browne Big Dan etc.

See what you want to see.. How you can make off I single handedly blamed him for Cork when I referenced one moment in the game is beyond me..

Looks he's the best in the world and my opinion is nonsense..

A lot of people I know get plenty of grief but I don't go jumping down every posters Throat for having an opinion and telling them they have a vendetta..

Can you give me his confirmation name so I can put the full lot in the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Ah come on most sports guys are referenced by their surname for example im sure I've used Mullane, Moran, Flynn, Mcgrath, Queally to name a few. I also reference Daly in the original post.. Then you have the odd few legends who don't like Tony Browne Big Dan etc.

See what you want to see.. How you can make off I single handedly blamed him for Cork when I referenced one moment in the game is beyond me..

Looks he's the best in the world and my opinion is nonsense..

A lot of people I know get plenty of grief but I don't go jumping down every posters Throat for having an opinion and telling them they have a vendetta..

Can you give me his confirmation name so I can put the full lot in the next time

We have at the moment a few options coming through for the goalkeeper position both at underage and senior level. While Socky is our number 1,iggy doesn't have time on his side so there are a few options for whenever he retires or is dropped from the squad. Seanie Barry is most definitely one of those options. I have seen him for several yrs against my own club and has been tremendous against us on numerous occasions. To say he's weak on his left side is coming from the Ger Loughnane trail of thought and is being used without substance. Billy Nolan is a fantastic stopper aswell. I would imagine his future lies out the field but as a goalie he has great potential. He's brave.agile and his shot stopping is good but his puckouts aren't as good and that can have a huge bearing on championship games at intercounty level. Don't also forget Sean Daly from Abbeyside and Sean Kearns from St Marys,both also very good keepers but not just at the level of Seánie Barry yet.
    Its all about opinions and that's what makes sport so entertaining!
    As a matter of interest Brad are you still down under and if so are you getting to see many Waterford games or is it all online?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yes, particularly with Joyce, Cadogan and McLoughlin all fit and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Id agree with all that good post

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Anyone know if the Waterford hurlers are playing a challenge game this weekend?

• Advertisement

archieknox wrote: »
    We have at the moment a few options coming through for the goalkeeper position both at underage and senior level. While Socky is our number 1,iggy doesn't have time on his side so there are a few options for whenever he retires or is dropped from the squad. Seanie Barry is most definitely one of those options. I have seen him for several yrs against my own club and has been tremendous against us on numerous occasions. To say he's weak on his left side is coming from the Ger Loughnane trail of thought and is being used without substance. Billy Nolan is a fantastic stopper aswell. I would imagine his future lies out the field but as a goalie he has great potential. He's brave.agile and his shot stopping is good but his puckouts aren't as good and that can have a huge bearing on championship games at intercounty level. Don't also forget Sean Daly from Abbeyside and Sean Kearns from St Marys,both also very good keepers but not just at the level of Seánie Barry yet.
    Its all about opinions and that's what makes sport so entertaining!
    As a matter of interest Brad are you still down under and if so are you getting to see many Waterford games or is it all online?
    I agree. A very good analysis there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JonnieGee

Challenge v Wexford for the seniors at 7pm on Saturday in Ballygunner as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

THE WATERFORD AND Wexford hurling teams will face off in a senior hurling challenge in aid of injured hurler Pauric Mahony and the charity Pieta House.
    The match will take place on Saturday 30 May at Ballygunner hurling club with admission €10 for adults and juveniles are free.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterford-GAA-Supporters-Club-Dublin/179978495401923?ref=hl

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Re under 21 keeper -- He is also very deceptable to balls on his left being a left handed goal keeper. ? In your opinion so is a right handed keeper deceptable to balls to his right .?????

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Best of luck to the Junior and Senior Footballers tomorrow. A big ask with under strength teams. Tipp seem to have a very good team made up of the past few years Minors and Under 21's. This game could be closer that what the bookies think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Best of luck to the Junior and Senior Footballers tomorrow. A big ask with under strength teams. Tipp seem to have a very good team made up of the past few years Minors and Under 21's. This game could be closer that what the bookies think.

Heavy sod and wet conditions will suit Waterford better, still I think Tipp will have a little too much to spare as Midfield and Forwards looking very strong and their full back, Ciaran McDonald who was on the team against Aussies is back after being out for all of the league.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Did the challenge games v Wexford for Paudie go ahead? Any report from it? Praying for no injuries more than anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Cake Man wrote: »
    Did the challenge games v Wexford for Paudie go ahead? Any report from it? Praying for no injuries more than anything!

It went ahead alright. The score 4-18 to 3-13. The man of the match was given to Shane Bennett who only played the first half and that'll tell you how good he was. I was thinking back to the December series game between the the two sides and the contrast at times between the two now and also the fact that the weather was better in December than it was tonight.

In fairness to Wexford I'm not sure how many they were missing didn't see MacDonald who is obviously a big player for them. Also it was very much a semi contact affair with frees generally the result of over carrying and perceived thrown passes, stuff like that.

The starting team was
    SOK

Shane Fives-Shane Mc-Paudie Prender

SOS-MON-Daniels

Barrett-Moran

Stephen Bennett-Dunford-Brick

BOH-Devine-Shane Bennett

2nd Half

Lots of Subs Rough line up

Iggy

Shane Fives-BC-Noel Connors

Aussie-Tdeb-Mahony

Barron-MON/Paudie Prender

Tommy Connors-Patrick Curran-Dillon

Tommy Waring-Devine-Mikey Kearney

Conor Gleeson was also there the didn't come in (I think)

Absent as far as I could tell: Maurice, Dara, GOB, Donie Breathnach

I can report more later if want but simply:
    Shane Bennett excellent, I hope his leaving is as easy to him as this (or any) game of hurling
    Brick is now a forward, 1-2 contribution, quality
    BOH good in the roving role
    Daniels impressive in the first time I've seen him since return
    MON possibly MOTM hurled a lot of ball very good
    SOS and Paudie Prender good as well
    Normal service from Shane Fives, Moran and Barron
    Barrett got a great goal but would never be left tru normally
    Patrick Curran has the fastest hands in the west, real (or maybe unreal) talent
    Devine played the target well and looks like he'll be there next week if Maurice doesn't make it.
    Kearney good contribution 1-1 I think played well
    TdeB and Mahony made mistakes for Wexford goals but wouldn't mind that.

Outside of a player contribution:

Shane Bennet on Frees 1st half, Curran 2nd, think Maurice will do it next week but we'll see
    Played Man on Man a lot tonight hence the goals. Got caught a couple of times but butchered a fair few chances could have had more.

In summary Good display and poor enough turnout. Not one for the Sunshine Supporters this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Thanks for the report, 3ships. Seems like it was a decent enough work out without much intensity which is understandable given D-Day next Sunday.

Surely Shane Bennett is a nailed on starter next Sunday given the form he's in. Interesting to see if Patrick Curran will play any part aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

3ships wrote: »
    It went ahead alright. The score 4-18 to 3-13. The man of the match was given to Shane Bennett who only played the first half and that'll tell you how good he was. I was thinking back to the December series game between the the two sides and the contrast at times between the two now and also the fact that the weather was better in December than it was tonight.

In fairness to Wexford I'm not sure how many they were missing didn't see MacDonald who is obviously a big player for them. Also it was very much a semi contact affair with frees generally the result of over carrying and perceived thrown passes, stuff like that.

The starting team was
    SOK

SOS-MON-Daniels

Barrett-Moran

BOH-Devine-Shane Bennett

2nd Half

Iggy

Aussie-Tdeb-Mahony

Shane Bennett excellent, I hope his leaving is as easy to him as this (or any) game of hurling
    Devine played the target well and looks like he'll be there next week if Maurice doesn't make it.

Shane Bennet on Frees 1st half, Curran 2nd, think Maurice will do it next week but we'll see
    Played Man on Man a lot tonight hence the goals. Got caught a couple of times but butchered a fair few chances could have had more.

In summary Good display and poor enough turnout. Not one for the Sunshine Supporters this.

Couldn't make it but thanks for the report 3ships,very good. Was there any sign of Darragh Fives? Just thinking if he's not injured then he surely would have seen some game time last night. Hope I'm wrong but I just can't see him involved next Sunday. We'll have enough in hand anyway,I believe they won't be able to deal with that forward line with our pace and skill. Curran will see action and hopefully Maurice will make it aswell.
    With the surplus players not required by the seniors and a mixture of our u21's our intermediate team should be very strong also. What price are we for the double does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

archieknox wrote: »
    Couldn't make it but thanks for the report 3ships,very good. Was there any sign of Darragh Fives? Just thinking if he's not injured then he surely would have seen some game time last night. Hope I'm wrong but I just can't see him involved next Sunday. We'll have enough in hand anyway,I believe they won't be able to deal with that forward line with our pace and skill. Curran will see action and hopefully Maurice will make it aswell.
    With the surplus players not required by the seniors and a mixture of our u21's our intermediate team should be very strong also. What price are we for the double does anyone know?

Darragh Fives not there at all. There is still time for some involvement this year but hardly next week. Other players in and around his position, MON, SOS, SD, PP all played well.
    Looks like Austin Gleeson will continue at 5. Shane Bennett a def starter unless exam tied. Pat Curran could drop in where Pauric Mahony was but while the abilty is there the workrate expected is savage.

A very good panel there regardless and scope for improvement later in the year as well. Conor Gleeson another positive addition.

The intermediate team should be good, might even go into the ground early next week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

What impressed me most last night was our touch and moreover our touch at speed. This is the best prepared Waterford team that I can remember and I am very hopeful that the bookmakers have this game completely wrong ,like a lot of lazy pundits. It beggars belief that Paddy Power are going 8/13 Cork and we are 6/4. Boylesports are even bigger going 4/7 Cork and Waterford 13/8.

The two Bennetts put a move together after only 2 minutes to score as good a goal as you are likely to see and these two lads could be the key next weekend, from a scoring point of view anyway. Shane looks to be in a good place right now and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he ends up on free taking duty, young as he is.

The form of Shane McNulty at full back last night will also give a boost to the under 21's. The return of Stephen Daniels is now complete and he is up to match pace, ditto Eddie Barrett.

We actually won by more as the scoreboard was wrong by 3 pts but that doesn't matter one bit.

I hope my run of form will continue today in the match between JDr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Who knows which of these two very talented teams will turn up in the right frame of mind ? You just never know and to be absolutely certain with a prediction one way or another is fraught with danger, unlike next weekend where Waterford will be my selection. I am going to go for a Dublin win after much soul searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

In seriousness though how can Bennett be expected to play when he has the leaving the next week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

thesultan wrote: »
    In seriousness though how can Bennett be expected to play when he has the leaving the next week!!!!
    What is it? Maths paper 2 and Irish he has the next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Bennett would hardly take the last few months off for the leaving and then play right in the middle of it, that makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tipp 5 Waterford 0 after 12 mins. Waterford playing with the wind apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

3ships wrote: »

The starting team was
    SOK

SOS-MON-Daniels

Barrett-Moran

BOH-Devine-Shane Bennett

2nd Half

Iggy

Aussie-Tdeb-Mahony

wexford had only maybe 3 regulars playing as we are out next weekend , missing was o hanlon , fanning ,ryan , moore , chin , c kenny ,shore , redmond , d okeefe , guiney, mac , d waters, mc goveran , and i prob not have them all . we were poor in the first half gift ye 3 goals .

KevIRL wrote: »
    Tipp 5 Waterford 0 after 12 mins. Waterford playing with the wind apparently...

1-13 to 0-3 at HT

Final score tipp 1-24 Waterford 0-5. 1641 souls in attendance in Thurles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

KevIRL wrote: »
    Final score tipp 1-24 Waterford 0-5. 1641 souls in attendance in Thurles

A full strength Nire or Ballinacourty team would have done better than the Waterford team today.
    Looking through there panel, half the players on it are not intercounty standard unfortunately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement