Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst thing you've ever eaten?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I ate maggots in Namibia, they weren't too bad when they were dry, kinda crispy but a bitter flavour - but to impress my guide I could stomach them.

Untill the last night when he "treated" us to the marinated softer variety - absolutely VILE.... and they say insect meat is the future of human diets since the current set up is completely unsustainable - no thanks !!

fyi - http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-31589764

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Jellyfish soup.

Say what you will, but while both the Chinese and the French will eat pretty much everything that moves, at least the latter will have the decency to serve it in a good sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

A raw live whelk to an audience of delighted Jersey fishermen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

So, judging from this thread, we have a lot of freaky eaters in this country. Since when does porridge classify the 'worst' thing anyone could have eaten? And that's fairly representative. Since when are anchovies crazy food? Coffee? Dark chocolate?

I reckon it's driven by fear and a lack of willingness to explore life before you die. People really are peculiar around food.

That's why I would probably try more than most. I wouldn't even say I've tried the craziest stuff. But if I think of everything 'crazy' I've eaten by this thread's standards, I'd have to start with porridge, followed by:
    • Pig's brain (as I said)
    • Unwashed sheep's intestine (as I said)
    • Chicken feet
    • Chicken gizzard (in a salad in Bordeaux)
    • Chicken hearts
    • Chicken livers (in various things from fried on their own to terrine and paté)
    • Sheep's spleen (in a posh London restaurant, St. John's)
    • Tete de veau (boned, rolled baby cow head)
    • Steak tartare (raw, minced, seasoned beef)
    • Sheep's kidneys (most recently in beautiful St. Émilion red wine sauce in Bordeaux)
    • Sweetbreads from sheep (these are thymus glands from the neck and heart)
    • Cow's tongue
    • Cow's cheek
    • Pickled herring
    • Kimchi (fermented vegetables)
    • Zebra
    • Ostrich
    • Kudu
    • Oryx
    • Fish eyes & cheeks
    • A tube of smoked fish roe
    • Sheep's hearts

Ah, I dunno, I ate way more stuff, but I can't remember now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

sarkozy wrote: »
    So, judging from this thread, we have a lot of freaky eaters in this country. Since when does porridge classify the 'worst' thing anyone could have eaten? And that's fairly representative. Since when are anchovies crazy food? Coffee? Dark chocolate?

I reckon it's driven by fear and a lack of willingness to explore life before you die. People really are peculiar around food.

That's why I would probably try more than most. I wouldn't even say I've tried the craziest stuff. But if I think of everything 'crazy' I've eaten by this thread's standards, I'd have to start with porridge, followed by:
    • Chicken feet
    • Chicken hearts
    • Chicken livers (in various things from fried on their own to terrine and paté)
    • Sheep's kidneys (most recently in beautiful St. Émilion red wine sauce in Bordeaux)
    • Cow's tongue
    • Cow's cheek
    • Pickled herring
    • Zebra
    • Ostrich
    • Kudu
    • Oryx
    • Fish eyes & cheeks
    • Sheep's hearts

Wow you're so wacky. The OP didn't ask about the 'craziest' food you've eaten though. The question was about the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

[*]Chicken feet
    [*]Chicken gizzard (in a salad in Bordeaux)
    [*]Chicken hearts
    [*]Chicken livers (in various things from fried on their own to terrine and paté)

Sure that's just a McNugget.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Haddock eggs. Kind of like southern Spain's version of caviar. I had breath that smelt like a fishmonger's apron for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pork scratchings.

You're so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sometimes stewing beef pieces have arteries or some kind of veins attached to them...seeing one, let alone chewing on one, turns my stomach.

Boiled chicken pieces; I ordered a chicken chow mein one time in a Chinese restaurant and to my horror, the chicken pieces were all spongey and chewy.
    Turned out they'd been boiled.

The white of a boiled egg-tastes like rubber.

Mayonnaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Speaking of rotten things. One of the worst things I have ever seen is... Balut.

Actually, it is the worst thing I have ever seen...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

Google image it, christ...

Just got sick in my mouth again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

logik wrote: »
    Speaking of rotten things. One of the worst things I have ever seen is... Balut.

/thread!!

Jaysus! Do not click if you're just after brekkie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

There's all sorts of disgusting crap out there, but at least you know what you'e getting when you buy it. I mean you're unlikely to eat pigs brain by accident. With that in mind the worst has to be something like chicken nuggets, because we all think we know what we're eating. In reality it's probably chicken ankles and beak powder. It makes me sick looking at children in places like KFC and Supermacs gobbling up that rubbish as a 'treat'. You want to treat your kids? Then get them used to a wide variety of vegetables over a period of time. That's a treat they can use for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Sure that's just a McNugget.

I burst out laughing at this-so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Veal. :( nasty stuff even without being little tortured baby cow.

• Chicken feet
    • Chicken hearts
    • Cow's tongue
    • Cow's cheek
    • Pickled herring
    • Zebra
    • Ostrich
    • Kudu
    • Oryx
    • Fish eyes & cheeks
    • Sheep's hearts
    Is ostrich a 'wacky' food still? I thought it was quite mainstream at this stage. Actually, many of that list are hardly extreme, unless you've been brought up on a diet of overcooked meat and two veg your entire life.

Personally, I'm rather partial to steak tartare, which you can get as 'pub grub' in a lot of places here. Horse too; foal fillet is very nice. I believe you can get horse in Ireland too, but it's called budget frozen hamburgers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

logik wrote: »

It's actually pretty tasty, bit of salt and vinegar and you are laughing!

The "soup" inside is awesome!

I was very drunk every time I had one though. Don't know if I could handle one sober!!

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

I was eating an Indian a while ago and.....

Am I reading this correctly? You were eating an Indian?

That's not strange at all... :eek:
    *Makes for the exit*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

srfc19 wrote: »

I was very drunk every time I had one though. Don't know if I could handle one sober!!

You actually ate it? Oh man... I feel weak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Sweetcorn, there is just something about the stuff that i cannot stand. Even the smell of it if left in the fridge makes me gawk. Other than that, i have a fairly iron stomach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

• Chicken feet
    • Chicken hearts
    • Cow's tongue
    • Cow's cheek
    • Pickled herring
    • Zebra
    • Ostrich
    • Kudu
    • Oryx
    • Fish eyes & cheeks
    • Sheep's hearts

I've eaten most of what's on that list (exceptions being Kudu, Oryx, unwashed sheep's instestins and chicken feet, but I can add cow's heart, pig's kidneys, blood soup, pickled plums and pumpkin candy to the list of "odd foods"), and I would have to maintain that coffee tastes worse than any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Noblong wrote: »
    On a school bus trying to convince another lad snots could be tasty so I ate the one he was looking at on his finger.

Hahaha. :pac: what

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

iamstop wrote: »
    Was in Vietnam, had crickets.

Another time had sneak heart washed down with rice wine. The thing was still beating.

Snake blood, washed down with rice wine.

Snake bile (its actually green!) washed down with...yup, rice wine.

Crazy night. My bag broke that night too. I was almost locked out of the guesthouse that night/morning. Not to mention locked outta me tree.

Hope you got that sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Is ostrich a 'wacky' food still? I thought it was quite mainstream at this stage. Actually, many of that list are hardly extreme, unless you've been brought up on a diet of overcooked meat and two veg your entire life.

Personally, I'm rather partial to steak tartare, which you can get as 'pub grub' in a lot of places here. Horse too; foal fillet is very nice. I believe you can get horse in Ireland too, but it's called budget frozen hamburgers there.
    Ostrich still isn't common here. Delicious feather blade or hanger steaks still aren't common. And I wouldn't personally feel anything I've eaten is weird or whacky. Many Irish people eat cow's blood for breakfast. It's just worth remembering when you hear zingers like people thing porridge is kerrrraaayyyyzaaayyy. Weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

srfc19 wrote: »

Chilli and salt, maybe a drop of fish sauce. Sorted.

Ostrich still isn't common here.
    It was easy enough to buy in the supermarkets ten years ago. Odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

It was easy enough to buy in the supermarkets ten years ago. Odd.

It is in Lidl this week, on special offer no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Turkish Delight, the smell makes me vomit.

I didn't really enjoy octopus in Japan. It was a small red one on a lolipop stick, didn't taste like much and the texture was that of a gummi bear or some other gelatinous sweet, which I don't enjoy either.

However, when it was served with raw garlic, sesame oil and chilli paste in Korea it was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

my husband told me that when he was younger, he ate his pet rabbit after it died. They had a small farm (a couple of chickens and not sure what else) but to eat your pet is pretty disgusting.

Also we have a pet rabbit now so im kind of second guessing his reasons for suggesting a rabbit as a pet!

• Advertisement

Saralee4 wrote: »
    my husband told me that when he was younger, he ate his pet rabbit after it died. They had a small farm (a couple of chickens and not sure what else) but to eat your pet is pretty disgusting.

Also we have a pet rabbit now so im kind of second guessing his reasons for suggesting a rabbit as a pet!

I personally wouldn't be too keen on eating an animal that has died compared to one that was killed to be eaten.

Advertisement