Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst thing you've ever eaten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

A tequila flavoured lollipop with a worm in it. mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

I got a roll of some sort from a Subway in Moscow once. People behind the counter didn't speak English so I just had to point at random things for fillings. Ended up with some sort of greyish meat-like blob that tasted like mouldy cardboard and instantly desiccated my entire mouth. I couldn't even chew it, I just sat there for a minute holding it in my mouth while the colour slowly drained from my face.

I am normally a voracious eater and was reluctant to let this roll defeat me so I carried it around for a while and tried to eat more but it didn't get any better. I considered looking for a beggar or homeless person to donate it to, but ultimately decided the life of a homeless person in Moscow is probably bad enough already without having to put that ****e in their mouth and just threw it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Pigs brain.....

I was in the phillipines a few years ago for abit of a holiday and the lady friend I had with me brought me out for some traditional street food. Its basically blended up pigs brains so it turns to a liquid and they add spices to it so it becomes a sause. You dip rice into it and eat it. It had an awful pasty taste to it. Its absolutely awful and I had a sick stomach after it. Jaysus :(

Also they eat pigs intestines there too, they deep fry it after they chop it up. Imagine what a chopped up intestine looks like.... It looks exactly as you can imagine. I had a sick stomach after that aswell. They eat anything and everything in the Phillipines...

Chickens foot... Battered chickens feet with the claws still attached. They put 5 or 6 of them into a little paper bag for you so you can munch on them as you have street dogs with rabies trying to hack the ankles of you.

Phillippines... Not sure I'll be going back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

kylith wrote: »
    I think you encountered Konnyak/Konjak. It's actually lovely when prepared properly, but it does have a weird texture and in it's more natural form it looks like a chunk of granite. There's no way in hell I'd put Bolognese on it though, you want it in a brothy, soupy kind of thing.

How is it prepared properly? Would you use it in say a miso/veg/chicken broth dish like to replace noodles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

eel puke Central. ..
    i also detest sardines, all shellfish actually most fish.
    lamb
    marzipan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes, it was Konjak. It was a range of products made from this plant and they had penne pasta, rice and noodle versions. They actually reccommended you eat this with stir fry meat etc, so I thought the bolognese would be ok. I was wrong. So wrong.

Stir fry would be fine, I've used the block form of it before for that. You have to rinse it really well and boil it for a minute before adding it to whatever you're having. I generally rinse the Konjak noodles really well, then pre-boil them for a minute before adding to a beef hot pot with a soy, mirin, and sake sauce.

It's actually a great diet food, being full of fibre but not of those pesky things like calories, nutrients, or taste.

The worst thing I've eaten were Japanese sweets. What bright spark decided to make curry flavour mini eggs I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cucumber, pure nasty and nothing I've ever eaten comes close to how vile they are :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Tapioca ... you might as well be eating frog-spawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

accidentaly drank some coffee that had salt instead of sugar ... disguuuusting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Pickled Herrings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

This didnt happen to me (happened to my husband) but it was rank. We lived in an apartment with a balcony years ago and as himself was a smoker then, he was banished to the balcony whenever he wanted a cigarette. He's a lazy bugger, so when his minging ashtray was full he used to use a tin of coke/diet coke/fanta with a bit of water inside as his substitute ashtray (you can probably see where I'm going with this). Anyway, one night drink was taken and himself was out on the balcony smoking away to his heart's content with a can of coke. He left the can down, I shouted out to him to come in to feck and he picked up the can for a last swig to wash down the smoke........yep, he drank from his ashtray can. He vomited for about 12 hours and I almost had to be hospitalised from hysterical laughter at him. He doesn't smoke anymore though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Haggis,liver,squid and Cheesy Wotsits.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I eat almost everything but the Dutch love raw herring sprinkled with chopped onions. I tried it and just couldn't appreciate it. Rubbery, fishy sh1t. Also they drink karnemilk (buttermilk). It's vile.
    Had some dodgy stuff in Germany too......pickled pork meatballs in vinegar. Crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

This didnt happen to me (happened to my husband) but it was rank. We lived in an apartment with a balcony years ago and as himself was a smoker then, he was banished to the balcony whenever he wanted a cigarette. He's a lazy bugger, so when his minging ashtray was full he used to use a tin of coke/diet coke/fanta with a bit of water inside as his substitute ashtray (you can probably see where I'm going with this). Anyway, one night drink was taken and himself was out on the balcony smoking away to his heart's content with a can of coke. He left the can down, I shouted out to him to come in to feck and he picked up the can for a last swig to wash down the smoke........yep, he drank from his ashtray can. He vomited for about 12 hours and I almost had to be hospitalised from hysterical laughter at him. He doesn't smoke anymore though ;)

This happened to me with a bottle of beer at a party years ago...the memory of two soggy cigarette butts almost going down my throat is still with me 20 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Oh I have another one! Love sushi and was flat out munching on those edamame bean yokes when I noticed something white and kinda rubbery - yep, it was half a maggot. Delightful.

I still eat edamame beans though. Just examine them first instead of mindlessly shovelling them into my gob.

I did that at a party. The can I thought was my can of cold lager was half full of warm, flat, rancid beer with a few cig butts in it. I puked right there on the spot. Couldn't even make it to the door or toilet or sink, just retched right onto the table. Awful.

This happened to me with a bottle of beer at a party years ago...the memory of two soggy cigarette butts almost going down my throat is still with me 20 years later.

You're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭stalebread

A fungusie pussy on the blob!! Several tablets were required to fix me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Not a big fan of chinchulines, basically a cow's lower intestine done on the BBQ. The casing is kind of crispy hiding a very strong tasting squishy paste of what would eventually have become cow shyte. Whatever had made it's way through the stomach at the time of death basically.

Liver and kidney are also pretty grim.

Tastes horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Egginacup wrote: »
    You're not alone.

Let us speak no more of this. Been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

stalebread wrote: »
    A fungusie pussy on the blob!! Several tablets were required to fix me

^^^ you are vile!

Hershey's chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Tarator, it's the Bulgarian national dish, a cold soup composed of cucumber, water and yoghurt. Not as gut wrenching as some of the stuff mentioned so far but rather a mind-numbingly dull and featureless taste. Like slurping on purgatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭stalebread

heldel00 wrote: »
    ^^^ you are vile!

Hershey's chocolate

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

HoratiJoe wrote: »
    A thrush Fanny. Puke

Think I just got sick in my mouth vile :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Egginacup wrote: »
    I eat almost everything but the Dutch love raw herring sprinkled with chopped onions. I tried it and just couldn't appreciate it. Rubbery, fishy sh1t. Also they drink karnemilk (buttermilk). It's vile.
    Had some dodgy stuff in Germany too......pickled pork meatballs in vinegar. Crap.

Lived in Holland too and their food is awful.

Found herring to be not the worst.

But the other stuff like frikandel, and kass souffle. Basically any of that rubbish they eat out of hole in the wall at Febo.

Also, they don't get lunch or breakfast as they just have a slice of bread with cheese, every single day except for Sunday when they will have a heated roll with cheese.
    Then there is the deep fried bitterballen, deep fried oliballen (Oil balls) at New Year.
    Can't get a good burger there like here either, meat is definitely inferior there.
    Drove me bloody mad.

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

At the time the first Harry Potter film came out there were boxes of jellybeans that had a couple of weird flavours in them. Munching my way through a box in class and I ate a horseradish one without realising. Puked there and then in the classroom :pac:

Cucumbers and lemongrass are also rather yuck.

So, on a bit of a weight loss kick recently and spotted a product in Holland & Barrett at the weekend called 'slim pasta'. Basically it was a packet of penne pasta made from some asian plant. Fat free, gluten free, carb free, almost calorie free. Great, I thought, pasta without guilt! I'll give it a go.

Anyway, brought it home and made a bolognese. Opened the packet and the smell of fish almost knocked me. Fish!! Ok, the directions said this was normal and to rinse the stuff before heating it. Done. Poured my bolognese on top and got chowing. Jesus, it was the rankest texture I ever had in my mouth. Ever. Rubbery, tasteless vomit inducing muck. Apparantly this stuff actually sells pretty well in these stores. I'd love to know how anyone could stomach this stuff.

Anyway, just wondering what the worst thing you've ever eaten is.

*Durrrty replies expected...

You want "slim pasta" then get yourself one of these things:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=spiralizer&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YJn0VJLiA4-XaszIgugK&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1779&bih=1050

You can basically create noodles/linguini out of a raw courgette and then boil it or wok cook it and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The texture is the same and with your sauce on top whether you use a Italian tomato-y one or a Chinese one, it's very good. Or just lace it with peppers and onions and garlic and pesto and you're away in a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Well, apart from pig's brain, I ate tripe or sheep's small intestine with the grass still in it. Not as nice as it sounds, certainly not as nice as the cow's tongue that was served afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I had a raw beef dish once......why even go there?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement