Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst thing you've ever eaten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I once tasted a ball of baby sh*te that I gleefully thought was a malteser...It fell out of my brother's nappy.....I hastily spat it out mind you.

....oh and many years ago my old family dog blew a snot into my mouth during a cuddle session.

As regards proper food- smoked salmon..shudder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

dark chocolate is vile, we had them in work and they were just left there after we tried them, I spat mine in the bin and others just barely ate theirs before swiftly declaring never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Robsweezie wrote: »
    dark chocolate is vile, we had them in work and they were just left there after we tried them, I spat mine in the bin and others just barely ate theirs before swiftly declaring never again.

Mmm..no way.... an acquired taste but dark chocolate is the best chocolate you can get!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

murpho999 wrote: »
    Lived in Holland too and their food is awful.

Found herring to be not the worst.

But the other stuff like frikandel, and kass souffle. Basically any of that rubbish they eat out of hole in the wall at Febo.

Also, they don't get lunch or breakfast as they just have a slice of bread with cheese, every single day except for Sunday when they will have a heated roll with cheese.
    Then there is the deep fried bitterballen, deep fried oliballen (Oil balls) at New Year.
    Can't get a good burger there like here either, meat is definitely inferior there.
    Drove me bloody mad.

Rant over.

A lot of the stuff you mention is indeed muck. frikandel is dire but febo isn't actually the worst. Their little chicken burgers are ok. But I also could never get to grips with that raw orangy meat paste squeezed from a tube (like a sausage skin) onto bread and also sprinkled with onions and pepper.
    Also those poxy skewers that you see in the snackbars that are half meatballs and half onions....or those mexicano things that are just a piece of processed horsemeat but stamped into the shape of spare ribs. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Anchovies. Got them on a pizza once, worst mistake I've ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Coffee.

And ghinseng chewing gum - Chinese people must have very odd taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The tiny, barbecued, heart of a chicken wasn't great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Quorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dogfood, I was very very drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

The tiny, barbecued, heart of a chicken wasn't great.

Tried this too- mank! Brazilians love it

• Advertisement

I don't even know what it was exactly, but it was some kind of lard and cabbage pickled stuff, with pieces of gristle masquerading as some kind of mystery meat, in Russia. It smelled like vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I was eating an Indian a while ago and forgot to take out the star anise from the rice. My God I nearly puked, I cant stand anything aniseed.

Im getting shivers just thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Caviar flavour crisps. I like both of these things but together - actual boak.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ann22 wrote: »
    I once tasted a ball of baby sh*te that I gleefully thought was a malteser...It fell out of my brother's nappy.....I hastily spat it out mind you.

....oh and many years ago my old family dog blew a snot into my mouth during a cuddle session.

We have a winner! :(

*throws freshly made sandwich in the bin*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Deer testicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Chitterlings in France. I actually thought my sister was going to murder the waiter (who was an absolute príck) when she took the first bite. Then again, she was braver than I was, I couldn't get past the smell to even taste it. It's the only time I've ever refused to pay for food (which we obviously didn't even eat).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

On a school bus trying to convince another lad snots could be tasty so I ate the one he was looking at on his finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

the_monkey wrote: »
    accidentaly drank some coffee that had salt instead of sugar ... disguuuusting..
    Years ago I used to do functions in a cricket club on the northside. One day there was me and another chef up to our eyes as we had a huge function to cook for. Both of us at the time were very heavy drinkers and used to have a few pints in the kitchen while we worked. The other lad drank bulmers and would always leave it on the shelf over his head. We had the kp cleaning out the fryer and replacing it with fresh oil. as he was filling it with oil he took a pint glass full out of the bucket for us to use for frying but he left it on the shelf
    The other lad took a massive gulp out of it thinking it was bulmers and began puking for what seemed like hours. I never felt so sorry for someone but I was laughing at the same time. We stopped working while being locked soon after that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

american cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Chitterlings in France. I actually thought my sister was going to murder the waiter (who was an absolute príck) when she took the first bite. Then again, she was braver than I was, I couldn't get past the smell to even taste it. It's the only time I've ever refused to pay for food (which we obviously didn't even eat).

You didn't pay because there was something wrong with it or you just ordered it without knowing what it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Pork scratchings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

You didn't pay because there was something wrong with it or you just ordered it without knowing what it was?

That's what I was thinking. They still had to cook it and if there was nothing wrong with it, well then, tough titties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Leogirl wrote: »
    Tried this too- mank! Brazilians love it

That's where I had it, BrazilIan restaurant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Porridge. Vile stuff. Just the thought of eating it makes me gag. Tis fcuking child abuse making kids eat that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ShivaDark

18 years worth of my mother's 'cooking'. Basically microwave meals, deep fat fried chips and mystery meat nuggets, midnight meals swimming in grease, rotten vegetables and not so fresh chicken soup, cuppa soup, instant noodles and pot noodles.

I started cooking for myself when I was 14 as a way to avoid those meals, so I could actually eat fresh vegetables/meat and not some powdered equivalent or something that hadn't been in the boot of hot car for two days.

My mother is a firm believer that food should not be seasoned, that it's the responsibility of the eater to add salt or pepper to food, so it's not a surprise that she cooking was bland. She is also a firm believer that vanilla scones shouldn't have vanilla in them. The only thing she was able to cook was reheating my Grandmother's soup on a Sunday and she still acted like she was doing us a huge favor heating it in the first place.

It may seem unfair as it sounds like she was trying her best to feed us with what little she had but she'd rather spend most of our father's income on alcohol (expensive cognac), needless to say that I survived my childhood on crisps from various pubs and takeouts from chip-shops nearby said pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Salmon. Tuna on the other hand, I could live on the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Either that purple worm medicine that served as a popular form of child abuse back in the day, or a big chalky banger that got stuck on my tongue after I tried to neck it without a glass of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Beetroot

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Was in Vietnam, had crickets.

Another time had sneak heart washed down with rice wine. The thing was still beating.

Snake blood, washed down with rice wine.

Snake bile (its actually green!) washed down with...yup, rice wine.

Crazy night. My bag broke that night too. I was almost locked out of the guesthouse that night/morning. Not to mention locked outta me tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

shiokara.
    Shiokara (塩辛?) is a food in Japanese cuisine made from various marine animals that consists of small pieces of meat in a brown viscous paste of the animal's heavily salted, fermented viscera.

Truly revolting.

Advertisement