Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shoot and Kill Homeless Man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

You reach for a cops gun that's what happens, fairly simple logic.

Mother****er mother****er:) gotta love the American twang.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

yipeeeee wrote: »
    You reach for a cops gun that's what happens, fairly simple logic.

Mother****er mother****er:) gotta love the American twang.

So grabbing a cops gun while handcuffed results in immediate death penalty? Doesn't seem right to me.

Noxin wrote: »
    I remember I used to think I'd love to live in the states..
    The place really has gone bat $hit insane.

Compared to the size of Ireland and the shootings were probably ahead in gang related shootings.

Well we are number one in Europe anyway for gangland murders.

Not that this was gang related but it's no more sane than america.

masti123 wrote: »
    So grabbing a cops gun while handcuffed results in immediate death penalty? Doesn't seem right to me.

Come on, we don't know the full story, but once you reach for a cops gun it's lights out.

You don't even put your hand in your pocket if a cop is pointing his gun at you.

This is all common sense and fairly basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there not the sound of a single gunshot before the cops start firing?
    Maybe he got a round off first, which would have been all the cops needed to waste him.

I agree that it seems out of control in the US for cops, they kill you now at the drop of a hat. LiveLeak is full of videos of cops shooting people for little or no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Come on, we don't know the full story, but once you reach for a cops gun it's lights out.

You don't even put your hand in your pocket if a cop is pointing his gun at you.

This is all common sense and fairly basic stuff.

Common sense isn't a strong suit with many mentally ill people and if you're dealing with homeless people you'll be dealing with a lot of mental illness. Maybe a cop should have more sense than to put his carrying hip on top of a persons hand when restraining them, surely that's where the common sense comes into play.
    If your scenario plays out and you get arrested in the states and some overzealous cop begins incorrectly ranting about you going for his gun I suppose you'd be happy that its open season?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

As callous as that statement is from Yipeeeee, I would agree.

As callous as that statement is from Yipeeeee, I would agree.

Im not trying to be callous, it's just something I think it's quite obvious.

But he could have mental problems alright, but is a cop trained to deal with such instances, they see someone reaching for a gun or grabbing it, it's how they react.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Mammyfeckers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Im not trying to be callous, it's just something I think it's quite obvious.

But he could have mental problems alright, but is a cop trained to deal with such instances, they see someone reaching for a gun or grabbing it, it's how they react.

Surely that's an essential part of their training but it seems in the states its DEFCON 5 in all situations.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Dancor wrote: »
    At 20 seconds it sounds like ''He's got my gun''

That's standard operating procedure now for cops in America. When then slam your face onto the concrete and kneel on your head they repeatedly yell "Stop resisting! Stop reaching for my gun! Stop resisting! Stop reaching for my gun!" You might actually be unconscious and incapable of doing anything but they still yell this for all to hear so that if they kill you then that will be their story....that you were resisting and/or "reaching" for the cop's gun.

Here's another bunch of heroes tazing a pensioner:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/watch-florida-police-tase-elderly-man-hands/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

In before Eggi. . .oh.

You would have thought that with about 8 cops about they could have managed the situation in some way that wouldn't have ended in this?

Why not have 3 of them hand their guns to their colleagues, then go to arrest the man? That way he couldn't grab a gun.

If it was 1 cop on to 1 homeless guy I could maybe understand this, but not when they had so many bodies available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

What sort of confrontation training, if any, do the LAPD get?

The whole situation was a mess, like watching a royal rumble the way they tackled him. Non plan of action at all!

I've no doubt the deceased got a hold of a gun, but the situation should never have arisen. It was wholly preventable.

Since there seems to be little or no chance of cops ever getting charged with manslaughter in the US, this sort of action will only increase in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fairly shocking alright. If his hands were actually cuffed behind his back then there can be no real excuse for this.

In before Eggi. . .oh.

What? In before I express disgust at yet another needless slaying at the hands of the police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

America is a cesspit and the police are cowards they seem to be trained to shoot first ask questions later, the gung ho shower of chit that they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Egginacup wrote: »
    What? In before I express disgust at yet another needless slaying at the hands of the police?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Well done to the man who filmed the scene. He might not be a role model to kids, with his maternal-copulation issues and all, but it's cos people like him have the courage to film these things that ensures they're not swept under that giant police dept. carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

threeball wrote: »
    Common sense isn't a strong suit with many mentally ill people and if you're dealing with homeless people you'll be dealing with a lot of mental illness.

You're no less dead after being shot by someone mentally ill than someone that isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shabadont

You're no less dead after being shot by someone mentally ill than someone that isn't.

Yeah - but the cops brought the guns to the scene that represented the threat to them. So there's that.

Plus cops around the world deal with crazy folks without the need for guns.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Since there seems to be little or no chance of cops ever getting charged with manslaughter in the US, this sort of action will only increase in the future.

It's the norm. Cops in Alabama broke an old Indian man's back and only for the outrage expressed by the government of India and it's people resulted in an apology from the governor. The cop still pleaded not guilty:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/17/us/alabama-police-assault-case/

Yep.

Congratulations, .. or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

How could he have got the gun with his hands handcuffed behind his back? Surely if the cop wasn't a total idiot he wouldn't have been unclipped while trying to restrain someone. Or better yet, surely nobody would be stupid enough to have a weapon them which could come loose while trying to restrain someone?

threeball wrote: »
    Takes a whole lot more in the position he was in. Try it, lie on the ground with your hands behind your back not being able to move one without moving the other then get someone to kneel beside you and try to grab something from their hip. A object that is designed to grip in the opposite direction to the position in which your hand is positioned, then manoeuvre it into a position where you could actually pull the trigger all while having someone leaning/kneeling on you to control you.

Shoot much?
    Doesn't matter whether he aims the gun, whether he has a proper grip on it. All he needs is one finger to pull the trigger.
    Doesn't matter where the bullet goes, its going to do damage.

And, yes, I do shoot. Handguns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

bubblypop wrote: »
    Shoot much?
    Doesn't matter whether he aims the gun, whether he has a proper grip on it. All he needs is one finger to pull the trigger.
    Doesn't matter where the bullet goes, its going to do damage.

And, yes, I do shoot. Handguns.

If the gun was clipped into the style of swivel holster than LAPD use it would have been impossible for him to pull the trigger because the trigger would have been covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Egginacup wrote: »

it's the wrong country for excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I tend not to care about these things so much because it happened 6 thousand miles away.

Ireland has been so colonised by the American culture that we think we are living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

While im disgusted with this, have any of the people who keep saying over and over that the man was handcuffed actually watched the video? He was swinging at the cops before they put him on the ground and only about 10 seconds pass before he's shot. He fairly fought on the ground too so I hardly think they got the cuffs on. This is an aside to the issue anyway, if four cops can't restraint him probably it just shows them for the weak gun ho pussies they are.

Advertisement