Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Any opinions on what the best opening line is when you eventually get through to loyalty dept? Should I just ask for a deal or do you have to threaten to cancel ??

Just tell them you are not happy...your friends got this that....they will give u...best time to call is in the morning !!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

we're currently with UPC for broadband, phone and tv. Just wondering if we cancel the tv part and join Sky how does that work?

Would we be able to get Sky in straight away for the TV? Or would we have UPC tv until the rest of the month. Don't want to lose Sky Sports for long so would want to do it with as little disruption as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Trilla90 wrote: »
    we're currently with UPC for broadband, phone and tv. Just wondering if we cancel the tv part and join Sky how does that work?

Would we be able to get Sky in straight away for the TV? Or would we have UPC tv until the rest of the month. Don't want to lose Sky Sports for long so would want to do it with as little disruption as possible.
    You have UPC for a month after you cancel. Sky takes no more than 2 weeks to come out and set everything up for free. That's what i did in Jan.

I just spoke with a rep in cancellations regarding the new increases in my bills.
    He told me that the discount I'm on at the moment is due to expire on 15th Feb. He said I should ring back then to try and get a new discount.
    I explained that I would rather deal with things now as I had spent 24 minutes on hold. He told me how much discount I could receive, I wasn't happy with the amount I will be paying in future, so I told him that I would like to just cancel everything.

He then said in had to give 30days notice to cancel. Now I explained that as UPC are changing my contract, I do not wish to take up this new contract with them, I shouldnt be forced into accepting it.

So, which is it? Are they forcing me into a new contract that I don't want? Why would they say in 2 weeks I could ring for a deal but I can't cancel a contract that I didn't agree to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

bubblypop wrote: »
    I just spoke with a rep in cancellations regarding the new increases in my bills.
    He told me that the discount I'm on at the moment is due to expire on 15th Feb. He said I should ring back then to try and get a new discount.
    I explained that I would rather deal with things now as I had spent 24 minutes on hold. He told me how much discount I could receive, I wasn't happy with the amount I will be paying in future, so I told him that I would like to just cancel everything.

He then said in had to give 30days notice to cancel. Now I explained that as UPC are changing my contract, I do not wish to take up this new contract with them, I shouldnt be forced into accepting it.

So, which is it? Are they forcing me into a new contract that I don't want? Why would they say in 2 weeks I could ring for a deal but I can't cancel a contract that I didn't agree to?
    They changed the terms of the contract, so you are entitled to cancel right away. As far as I know, you need to cancel within 30 days of getting the notice of change.
    He is on commision for every person he prevents from cancelling, but he is doing it by illegitimate means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

Just called there now. Only took 2 minutes to get through. My package was going up to €91 - got it for €51 for 6 months. Happy enough with that for only 5 minutes of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Called at 5:15. Took about 20mins. My package was going up to €90 odd. Got horizon Max, 120mb broadband, 300mins calls for €65. Not great, not bad. Locked in for another 12months

They changed the terms of the contract, so you are entitled to cancel right away. As far as I know, you need to cancel within 30 days of getting the notice of change.
    He is on commision for every person he prevents from cancelling, but he is doing it by illegitimate means

That's exactly what I said to him but he wouldn't listen at all!
    He told me I could say it until 'you are blue in the face' but I still need to give 30 days notice to cancel.

I told him I wasn't cancelling, I just didn't want to sign up to the new contract that they are trying to bring in for me.
    How do I sort this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

UPC is hiring fresh grads out of colleges to meet with the rush...yesteday talked with a sales guy who asked for 850 eur as standalone charge and some id docs etc for new connections...absolutely mad !! My frnd staying in same apt did not pay anything like that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭shane.

Pedro32561 wrote: »
    Just called there now. Only took 2 minutes to get through. My package was going up to €91 - got it for €51 for 6 months. Happy enough with that for only 5 minutes of effort.

i think you work for upc.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭moaningmyrtle

Hi, I've been with UPC for many years but always seem to miss out on these renewal/change of contract deals. I phoned the loyalty team because in truth I cannot pay the increases.

At the moment I am on a basic package tv (NOT horizon) , phone (free landline with 300 international) and broadband (120-altho its always slow in the evenings).
    I am currently paying £63 .
    I was offered:
    Horizon basic tv , broadband and similar phone package 45 for 6 months and 75 for the last 6 months. Or stick to my current package for 53 6mths 63 remaining 6 months.

Just wondering if I am getting a good deal?
    I know I'd struggle the last 6 months with a £75 bill despite good intentions of saving while on the cheaper rate !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

Hi, I've been with UPC for many years but always seem to miss out on these renewal/change of contract deals. I phoned the loyalty team because in truth I cannot pay the increases.

At the moment I am on a basic package tv (NOT horizon) , phone (free landline with 300 international) and broadband (120-altho its always slow in the evenings).
    I am currently paying £63 .
    I was offered:
    Horizon basic tv , broadband and similar phone package 45 for 6 months and 75 for the last 6 months. Or stick to my current package for 53 6mths 63 remaining 6 months.

Just wondering if I am getting a good deal?
    I know I'd struggle the last 6 months with a £75 bill despite good intentions of saving while on the cheaper rate !!

I'd say stick with what you have and the savings they are offering. The Horizon box is poor and the 120mb bb is all most people really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UnGround

Just off the phone with the loyalty department there. wasn't too bad, only holding for about 9 minutes.

I used to pay €73 a month going up to €80.

first i was offered €15 off each month for 6 months, i looked for more and got half price for 4 months. wouldnt budge from that so went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Called at 5:15. Took about 20mins. My package was going up to €90 odd. Got horizon Max, 120mb broadband, 300mins calls for €65. Not great, not bad. Locked in for another 12months

I rang this morning and got offered a similar deal. I'm getting TV, 120Mb BB and phone for €73 at the moment, was to go to €80. I don't even have a phone in the house so I said I'd just switch to TV only for €40 p/m and go elsewhere for broadband. The rep cam back with the €65 p/m for my existing package for 6 months, then €80 after that. Works out at €72.50 p/m over the 12 months.

Disappointed with the offer I have to say, considering what they're offering new customers, so I said I'd have to cancel with them. Just going to see what kind of a deal I can get from Vodafone for the broadband before maybe trying UPC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

UnGround wrote: »
    Just off the phone with the loyalty department there. wasn't too bad, only holding for about 9 minutes.

I used to pay €73 a month going up to €80.

first i was offered €15 off each month for 6 months, i looked for more and got half price for 4 months. wouldnt budge from that so went for it.

This is good to know. Exactly what I was offered at first, but I obviously didn't push it enough. I'll give it a few days and get on to them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

jay0109 wrote: »
    Absolute best deal they are doing at present is 6 months half price or so I was told.
    Setanta Sports also thrown in for free for 2 months. Sky Movies/Sky Sports at 20% off for the year also if wanted, can be cancelled at any stage during the new contract with no extra fee.

Horizon Max TV, 240mb b/band, phone (never used), Setanta free for 2 months....€41 for 6 months, €82 for the other 6.
    Best I could get so signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭moaningmyrtle

bromley52 wrote: »
    I'd say stick with what you have and the savings they are offering. The Horizon box is poor and the 120mb bb is all most people really need.

Thanks for the advice. Basically there is £40 of a difference between both deals, if i pay 40 odd euro more i get the Horizon with basic tv (no +1 channels that i currently have) and phone.

So I'm just wondering if my current non horizon deal is worth the money...confused!! Sounds like maybe Horizon isn't all its cracked up to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

jay0109 wrote: »
    Horizon Max TV, 240mb b/band, phone (never used), Setanta free for 2 months....€41 for 6 months, €82 for the other 6.
    Best I could get so signed up

I assume that you are going to drop the setanta after the 2 months. They'll probably charge you for downgrading. They're sneaky like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

I assume that you are going to drop the setanta after the 2 months. They'll probably charge you for downgrading. They're sneaky like that.

Nope, no charge for cancellation of any of the promotional products. Just need to contact them the day before the 2 months are up to cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭sector_000

Was on 50% off for the last 12 months and coming close to end :(
    Called Loyalty Dept and got 50% off for 6 months with full price for next 6 months.
    They insisted they were not doing 50% off for 9 months.

So €42.50 for 6 months, €85 for next 6 months, for Horizon Max TV, 240mb unlimted BB, phone (incl free mobile, local, national & 400 international minutes).

All in all, I'm happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭knipper

Rang this evening couldn't get six month deal. Said it was for TV deals only. I settled for 4 months half price 20 euro and 8 months full price. Also got a new internet point in the house for free on a 12 month contract. Phone without mobiles and bb. Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I'm thinking of signing up as a new customer again with UPC as my contract just ended today.

I'm currently on the 120BB + phone package.

I'm trying to decide whether to sign up to this package again and get the new customer discount or else switch to the 240BB + phone package.

There's only a fiver in the difference on either package, however I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading to the 240BB package as we mainly use wifi in the house and get speeds of about ~50MB

Would we see much, if any, increase in speed on the 240BB package over wifi?

We use a wired ethernet connection to a Fire TV for using Netflix etc and that's perfect, 120MB seems perfect for that, no issues there.

We might possibly get some homeplugs in the future to have another wired ethernet connection for another Fire TV in another room.

Really unsure if it's worth us going for the 240Mb package or just stick with the 120?

Would love to hear some opinions before I pull the trigger on a new order this evening.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tall chapy

Bubblypop - the rep was actually giving you good advice. I only really kopped on after my deal was done and off the phone.
    I should have asked when my deal was up at the beginning of the call.
    The reason is that they start your new deal the day you call and agree, which means that if you ring eg 3 weeks before your old deal expires. The last 3 weeks of your old deal are at the new higher rate deal.
    I told them to start the new deal at the expiry date and they refused and said that they couldn't and like yourself I did not fancy hanging on for 20 minutes or ringing another day. So the closer you ring to the end of your deal the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I got half off the €85 bundle for 6 months. Not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I got half off the €85 bundle for 6 months. Not too bad.

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Went from 60mb/Digital Select TV/Freetime world @ €73/pm to 120mb/Digital Value TV/Anytime world @ €53/pm for 6mts then to €63 for next 6mts. Thought I might get better but happy enough to get the increased bb speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sinny65

Just rang there, said I wanted to cancel , I'm on horizon and got 4 months at €37.50 then up to €75. Happy enough with this - have lost a few channels that I've never watched such as fashion tv, kids channels etc so all in all was worth calling up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How long were you on the phone before you got them, I've tried about 5 or 6 times, over the last few days and after about 10 mins I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

Anyone got any good deals for all the channels?(sky sports, movies, horizon max). Not too bothered about movies but seems to be only €9 extra on top of sky sports hd add-on so would be nice bonus. Wondering would they offer sky movies free for 6 months or something like that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Id say in the call centre, they all have manager warnings saying , "max you can offer for cancellation surges this week are 6 months half price...go team!!"

Advertisement