Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

189111314187

Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 tharmor


    chris1970 wrote:
    rang the 061272190, had to send email to cancel tv sub, got 22.50 for 4 mths 45 for rest of year contract, all call 240 mb broadband, technicolor modem being sent tomorrow, cheers op


    i have epc3925 is the techni one better ??


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭ JaMarcusHustle


    The deals aren't just 18 months by the way. I ended up being offered the 120mb + minutes deal for 12 months @ 40e per month with the first 4 at half price.

    So I posted this on the 9th January after being offered it by UPC that day. Moved to a new apartment since and had my installation finished today by the home move engineer, and was still getting my old 30mb.

    Called UPC today to ask when the 120mb kicks in and they have no record of me being offered (and accepting) this deal.

    I still have the call in my call history at 15:08 on 9th January lasting 18 minutes and 43 seconds. I have a text message I sent to my girlfriend (who I live with) minutes after the call telling her the deal we got, and I have the above post I posted later that might. Yet of all the calls they have on record for me, they mysteriously don't have this call.

    Absolutely bullshít.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭ patrickc


    So I posted this on the 9th January after being offered it by UPC that day. Moved to a new apartment since and had my installation finished today by the home move engineer, and was still getting my old 30mb.

    Called UPC today to ask when the 120mb kicks in and they have no record of me being offered (and accepting) this deal.

    I still have the call in my call history at 15:08 on 9th January lasting 18 minutes and 43 seconds. I have a text message I sent to my girlfriend (who I live with) minutes after the call telling her the deal we got, and I have the above post I posted later that might. Yet of all the calls they have on record for me, they mysteriously don't have this call.

    Absolutely bullshít.

    I had the same last year, they didn't apply discount and had no record of the calls, when I requested a copy of the calls under FOI they gave me the discounts there and then.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Same here. Except they wouldn't honour the verbal deal fully.

    There's something wrong when a telecoms will only do verbal contracts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭ seklly


    Was on the phone to them earlier, wanted to move from a broadband/phone/tv to just broadband/phone.

    They said I need to send a written request to remove tv and to ring back in 30 days to move to just broadband/phone.

    They also said I will need to pay the full rate for February including the €7 increase they are adding to my bill.

    Is that the way this is working for others?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    Last year it was a complete lottery what deals people got.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,314 ✭✭✭✭ gandalf


    seklly wrote: »
    Was on the phone to them earlier, wanted to move from a broadband/phone/tv to just broadband/phone.

    They said I need to send a written request to remove tv and to ring back in 30 days to move to just broadband/phone.

    They also said I will need to pay the full rate for February including the €7 increase they are adding to my bill.

    Is that the way this is working for others?

    Who were you on the phone to. Sounds like you were just onto the Sales department. Ring and ask to go through to Cancellations/Loyalty department.

    Say you want to cancel as the price is too much. They will try and hold onto you and then you can negotiate a deal with them. Make sure you have details of other suppliers offerings at hand to quote to them.

    They have broken the contract with these increases so you are absolutely entitled to change the service from them without penalty.

    I downgraded mine today but that was after an initial call at the start of the month, followed up by a cancellation letter and I finally got a deal I was happy with today. It's no where near as good as the deal I got last year but thats the way it rolls. What I will do now is research and test Saorview, talk to my Management Company about getting an agreement on communal Sat Dishes for Freesat and next year ditch that part of the UPC service.

    The main thing is do not go through to the Loyalty/Cancellations team saying you want a deal, they have to believe you are going to cancel. If you do this then I will say you will get want you want.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 Greenmachine


    gandalf wrote: »
    Who were you on the phone to. Sounds like you were just onto the Sales department. Ring and ask to go through to Cancellations/Loyalty department.

    Say you want to cancel as the price is too much. They will try and hold onto you and then you can negotiate a deal with them. Make sure you have details of other suppliers offerings at hand to quote to them.

    They have broken the contract with these increases so you are absolutely entitled to change the service from them without penalty.

    I downgraded mine today but that was after an initial call at the start of the month, followed up by a cancellation letter and I finally got a deal I was happy with today. It's no where near as good as the deal I got last year but thats the way it rolls. What I will do now is research and test Saorview, talk to my Management Company about getting an agreement on communal Sat Dishes for Freesat and next year ditch that part of the UPC service.

    The main thing is do not go through to the Loyalty/Cancellations team saying you want a deal, they have to believe you are going to cancel. If you do this then I will say you will get want you want.

    Personally rang the loyalty team myself and got them down to half price for 6 months then €80 for next months. 120mb internet, max tv, and home phone on old box.


  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ Slow_Runner


    Rang up today to cancel, was on TV max + 2 multi rooms, 30Mbps and anytime phone for €113 (including €7 increase). Got it for €64.75 for 6 months followed by €107 month on 12 month contract with upgrade to 120Mbps. Happy enough with that, will revisit next Jan☺


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭ jay0109


    SO I finally got the letter- increase of €5 per month just as my 1/2 price year comes to an end also.

    They sent a brochure telling me about an offer available...essentially upgrade to Horizon Max TV (with the 'My Prime' service available from February) and from 120mb to 240mb...all for 'free'.

    I'll ring them and see what sort of discount I can get for 4 or 6 months, if i sign up for another year.

    But whats the general consensus on Horizon now....worth getting or still too error strewn and stick with what I have?
    (the increased broadband doesn't matter to me as I'm not gaming or downloading much, and even on the 120mb I rarely see it get to speeds of over 70mbs


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ An Cigire


    Does anyone have cancellation number please?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    An Cigire wrote: »
    Does anyone have cancellation number please?

    061272190


  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ An Cigire


    slave1 wrote: »
    061272190


    Thanks just got 6 month from now so 3 months extra discount really for €22 for 240mb broadband package then rising to €45 so saving of €10 a month as it should have been €55 after my promotional offer ended :)

    Happy out with that :)

    Cheers

    The Cig


  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ Umpalumpa


    Anybody know the opening hours of the loyalty dept?


  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ Larcoon


    An Cigire wrote: »
    Thanks just got 6 month from now so 3 months extra discount really for €22 for 240mb broadband package then rising to €45 so saving of €10 a month as it should have been €55 after my promotional offer ended :)

    Happy out with that :)

    Cheers

    The Cig


    €22 for first 6 months
    €45 for remainder of contract

    Is this 12 months or 18 months contract?
    And will you have to pay activation Fee


  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ NetNinja


    Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Anybody know the opening hours of the loyalty dept?

    11am to 6pm I think.


  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ An Cigire


    Larcoon wrote: »
    €22 for first 6 months
    €45 for remainder of contract

    Is this 12 months or 18 months contract?
    And will you have to pay activation Fee

    12 month and no activation fee as I already have a contract.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭ Fr_Dougal


    An Cigire wrote: »
    Thanks just got 6 month from now so 3 months extra discount really for €22 for 240mb broadband package then rising to €45 so saving of €10 a month as it should have been €55 after my promotional offer ended :)

    Happy out with that :)

    Cheers

    The Cig

    So they gave you the deal they're giving everyone? Same deal that's advertised on their site...


  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ An Cigire


    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    So they gave you the deal they're giving everyone? Same deal that's advertised on their site...

    I got out of my old more expensive contract and now i have 240mb broadband and unlimited calls. A deal I wouldn't been able to get as I would have been stuck on for longer paying more for less.

    I'm happy to have gotten a significant saving :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭ cormie


    Hey folks, just saw this thread. I know nothing really about UPC and their deals, however my mam text me last night saying that when she turns her tv on there is a UPC offer selection thing that comes up :confused:

    She has tv, phone and broadband with UPC at the moment, I'm not sure what she's paying but she's been with them about 2/3 years at this stage. Can anyone tell me if I ring the number above, will I likely get the same as what she has for cheaper with faster broadband too and a 12 month contract? Do you just have to say you're thinking of cancelling and ask what's the best deal they can do for you?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Redo22


    How do you go about getting a deal from them? I am due an increase of €10 a month for home phone, horizon, unlimited broadband (don't know what speed) and an old Upc box for multi room bringing me up to €93 a month.

    Do I need to basically say I am cancelling to be offered a deal? I would be prepared to cancel all the tv stuff and just get broadband from them, maybe even their normal broadband as we've had problems with the horizon upstairs. Would this be enough to get a deal or would I have to say I'll cancel everything?

    Also, I've heard it's better to have examples of what other companies have offered us, dims anyone get a similar package on a good deal from Sky/eircom? I've priced saorview installation as well and while it's an upfront cost of €180, it would be free from then on and I'd probably just pay for broadband.

    Appreciate any advice on this!


  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ elWizard


    Redo22 wrote: »
    How do you go about getting a deal from them? I am due an increase of €10 a month for home phone, horizon, unlimited broadband (don't know what speed) and an old Upc box for multi room bringing me up to €93 a month.
    Ring the loyalty line directly, dont waste time on the sales staff. The number's in this thread. Note this line does have hold music but doesnt tell you how long of a wait you have left - usually 10-15 mins in my experience.
    Be decent, polite but firm - you should say you are unhappy with the price increase but not necessarily threaten quitting, at least not straight away. You should be able to straight up say you want the 240Mb broadband and free Irish calls bundle without any haggling. They will offer you this for 25 for 4 months and 45 for the rest - this is the advertised new customer offer, ads all over for it. You MIGHT if you're a very good customer/negotiator get 6 months for 25 but that'll be it. The crazy half-price deals from last year are a thing of the past.

    If you want to keep TV in your bundle, head to the Sky website and figure out what they are offering, write it all down and the (hopefully nice) UPC retention person should come back with a similarly priced offer that, if nothing else, will have better BB than Sky, and anytime as opposed to off-peak calls. Prob worth mentioning that SKY have a refer-a-friend cashback offer that you plan to use worth 125 euro and see will they factor that in. Most likely outcome is you'll get more product for a little bit less than your current price increase would be e.g. my Da insists on Sky Sports so I told UPC that Sky were willing to throw in Sky Movies for free, UPC matched it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ An Cigire


    elWizard wrote: »
    Ring the loyalty line directly, dont waste time on the sales staff. The number's in this thread. Note this line does have hold music but doesnt tell you how long of a wait you have left - usually 10-15 mins in my experience.
    Be decent, polite but firm - you should say you are unhappy with the price increase but not necessarily threaten quitting, at least not straight away. You should be able to straight up say you want the 240Mb broadband and free Irish calls bundle without any haggling. They will offer you this for 25 for 4 months and 45 for the rest - this is the advertised new customer offer, ads all over for it. You MIGHT if you're a very good customer/negotiator get 6 months for 25 but that'll be it. The crazy half-price deals from last year are a thing of the past.

    If you want to keep TV in your bundle, head to the Sky website and figure out what they are offering, write it all down and the (hopefully nice) UPC retention person should come back with a similarly priced offer that, if nothing else, will have better BB than Sky, and anytime as opposed to off-peak calls. Prob worth mentioning that SKY have a refer-a-friend cashback offer that you plan to use worth 125 euro and see will they factor that in. Most likely outcome is you'll get more product for a little bit less than your current price increase would be e.g. my Da insists on Sky Sports so I told UPC that Sky were willing to throw in Sky Movies for free, UPC matched it.

    Great advice, I just said Sky were ringing me offering me a great deal cheaper then the one I had to move to Sky Fibre. The operator didnt even ask about what sky's offer was they just offered me the extension for next 6 months at cheap rate then €45 there after for phone & 240mb broadband.


  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ Trilla90


    we got the email about the price increase on the 6th of Jan. The price increase comes into affect on the 1st of february so does that mean if your thinking about cancelling/getting a better deal you should do it before next monday? (1st of feb) or can you leave it until say the 5th of february (29 days after receiving the email) to decide?


  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ elWizard


    Trilla90 wrote: »
    we got the email about the price increase on the 6th of Jan. The price increase comes into affect on the 1st of february so does that mean if your thinking about cancelling/getting a better deal you should do it before next monday? (1st of feb) or can you leave it until say the 5th of february (29 days after receiving the email) to decide?
    I believe you are legally entitled to 30 days from when you receive the email, but personally wouldnt put it off that long. What's the point?
    Worth mentioning that if you are downgrading (e.g. dropping TV but keeping BB and phone) you have to send them a mail confirming this and then wait 30 days for the new package to kick in. Another reason not to delay IMO.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭ Hogzy


    How long are people waiting to get through to UPC cancellations? I was told by a recorded message that it would be no more than 5 minutes. Im now on hold 27 minutes. Id rather post a letter at this rate.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    Phoned yesterday, was on the crazy 120mb/free landline calls at half price for the last year, got the same package again for €20 for six months and €40 for the remainder 6 months, happy enough with that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭ Dancor


    Hogzy wrote: »
    How long are people waiting to get through to UPC cancellations? I was told by a recorded message that it would be no more than 5 minutes. Im now on hold 27 minutes. Id rather post a letter at this rate.

    I was waiting 8 minutes earlier today.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ruarua


    Quick question.

    I was looking to move to the 45 euro phone and broadband package. But was told that phone was not available in my neck of the woods. Nor the 240 megs. That 30 was in fact the the fastest. I'm in the seskin view area. (D 24). Could anyone living locally let me know if that is indeed the case. Or am I being bamboozled? (Pm or otherwise)

    Thanks a lot.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ NetNinja


    Hogzy wrote: »
    How long are people waiting to get through to UPC cancellations? I was told by a recorded message that it would be no more than 5 minutes. Im now on hold 27 minutes. Id rather post a letter at this rate.

    Same boat, I've given up trying. I reckone they just don't want to answer the calls anymore with so many people ringing in. 👎


Advertisement