Advertisement
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

178101213185

Comments



  • Larcoon wrote: »
    Can you send an email cancelling now, last year you would have to send a cancellation letter by post.

    Yup. I sent one yesterday to [email protected] and quote your account number. I got an email back saying they'd received mine and would be in touch.




  • Armelodie wrote: »
    18 months upc tv in a bundle comes to about 400!!!

    Better off getting satellite freeview so you can factor it out of future bundles...


    400 sound a lot alright but it is actually only €0.73/day for a reasonably good service. Most people blow more than that each day on items such as a bottle of Coke, a packet of sweets, canteen food instead of making a lunch at home, the list goes on.

    A proper Freesat box with a hard drive would be great for the UK channels and 7 day EPG, but you would need to switch to your Saorview source to view and record the ROI channels. It becomes tiresome very quickly having to switch between the two. No combo Freesat box exists.

    A FTA (free to air) satellite combo box could be used but most of those don't have the 7 day satellite EPG (TV guide) out of the box, just now and next. Adding a 7 day EPG if possible is too complicated for most.

    If you are close to the border or parts of Wexford you could always tap into the UKs Freeview service (superior Saorview equivalent). The ROI channels would be up in the 800s or vice versa depending on the receivers config.

    For most people in Ireland I would say that the cost and features of either Sky or UPC are very good with Sky having the upper hand. These systems are also for the most part idiot proof, with no technical brain cell required. One remote is a God send and removes the constant question “ which is the remote for the Satellite?”.




  • bromley52 wrote: »
    400 sound a lot alright but it is actually only €0.73/day for a reasonably good service. Most people blow more than that each day on items such as a bottle of Coke, a packet of sweets, canteen food instead of making a lunch at home, the list goes on.

    A proper Freesat box with a hard drive would be great for the UK channels and 7 day EPG, but you would need to switch to your Saorview source to view and record the ROI channels. It becomes tiresome very quickly having to switch between the two. No combo Freesat box exists.

    A FTA (free to air) satellite combo box could be used but most of those don't have the 7 day satellite EPG (TV guide) out of the box, just now and next. Adding a 7 day EPG if possible is too complicated for most.

    If you are close to the border or parts of Wexford you could always tap into the UKs Freeview service (superior Saorview equivalent). The ROI channels would be up in the 800s or vice versa depending on the receivers config.

    For most people in Ireland I would say that the cost and features of either Sky or UPC are very good with Sky having the upper hand. These systems are also for the most part idiot proof, with no technical brain cell required. One remote is a God send and removes the constant question “ which is the remote for the Satellite?”.

    Probably one of the most sensible posts I have ever seen and answers nearly all my questions in one swoop..Thanks




  • bromley52 wrote: »
    400 sound a lot alright but it is actually only €0.73/day for a reasonably good service. Most people blow more than that each day on items such as a bottle of Coke, a packet of sweets, canteen food instead of making a lunch at home, the list goes on.

    A proper Freesat box with a hard drive would be great for the UK channels and 7 day EPG, but you would need to switch to your Saorview source to view and record the ROI channels. It becomes tiresome very quickly having to switch between the two. No combo Freesat box exists.

    A FTA (free to air) satellite combo box could be used but most of those don't have the 7 day satellite EPG (TV guide) out of the box, just now and next. Adding a 7 day EPG if possible is too complicated for most.

    If you are close to the border or parts of Wexford you could always tap into the UKs Freeview service (superior Saorview equivalent). The ROI channels would be up in the 800s or vice versa depending on the receivers config.

    For most people in Ireland I would say that the cost and features of either Sky or UPC are very good with Sky having the upper hand. These systems are also for the most part idiot proof, with no technical brain cell required. One remote is a God send and removes the constant question “ which is the remote for the Satellite?”.

    Ya I suppose it depends on how much you value/watch TV. For us it's just maybe the news/soaps/odd documentary that we randomly happen upon and then stuff for kids. I don't care for sport or movies. Everything else is online.

    So removing the €.75 a day makes me happy... bearing in mind all the other taxes that have been added and claimed: ah shur it's only xcent a day... so it all ads up.

    What I'm really holding out for is when mobile phone bill is tied into a bundle. like the eircom offer. I think I saw mention of UPC getting into mobile in the future.




  • Just looking at how much people in this thread are paying and i’m shocked to realise the parents are currently paying €160 per month for the services below. I’m pretty sure they're being ripped off just want to make sure

    moBunxxl.png

    Just to confirm they have

    - basic 30mb broadband (hasn't been upgraded in two years or so)
    - HD DVR box in sitting room (non-horizon)
    - another HD DVR box (multiroom)
    - standard dvr box (multiroom)
    - basic non recordable box (multiroom)

    Apart form the fact there are 4 boxes in the house i can't understand how UPC are charging so much, they're already paying a fortune i can't imagine them paying any more when the new charges come in. Any help/advise would be appreciated.


  • Advertisement


  • Trilla90 wrote: »
    Just looking at how much people in this thread are paying and i’m shocked to realise the parents are currently paying €160 per month for the services below. I’m pretty sure they're being ripped off just want to make sure

    Just to confirm they have

    - basic 30mb broadband (hasn't been upgraded in two years or so)
    - HD DVR box in sitting room (non-horizon)
    - another HD DVR box (multiroom)
    - standard dvr box (multiroom)
    - basic non recordable box (multiroom)

    Apart form the fact there are 4 boxes in the house i can't understand how UPC are charging so much, they're already paying a fortune i can't imagine them paying any more when the new charges come in. Any help/advise would be appreciated.

    The price is actually about right coming in at €155 but if they were to upgrade they would possibly get all new boxes, faster bb and completly free telephone + mobile. On top of that I would expect to get some sort of deal for 6 months.




  • Folks, this is the route I went down.
    Was originally with Sky and where I live could never get analog Irish channels due to being in a blackspot and Sky were the only option at the time.
    I then cancelled Sky when my year was up and kept the equipment for freeview.
    Then purchased a Humax FreeSat box which is a fantastic piece of kit, allows series link, 7 day EPG etc and hooked up to my Sky dish, at the same time I got a quad LNB on the dish and put in the extra cabling for old Sky boxes in different rooms.
    Few years later and Sky had a mad offer on so I got another dish installed with a HD box and subscribed for a year, it was worth the subscription money for the equipment and installation, after the year just kept the equipment and put an extra two cables into the house from the new quad.
    So now have 8 satellite feeds.
    With the launch of Saorview I was told I would need a large external ariel to pick it up, got the large ariel and put in into the attic with a powered distributor and all fine.
    Along the way I upgraded my TV's to Saorview and some to Freesat.
    Late last year put a dual TV tuner card into my HTPC to take down Saorview and Free to Air English channels.

    So now have Saorview/Freesat on one TV with direct cable feeds that I can use to record on a portable hard drive, Humax FreeSat (dual sat. feed) hooked up to another Saorview TV that does my main recording, two Saorview TV's with old Sky boxes in bedrooms and another Saorview TV that's hooked up to my HTPC with both Satellite and Saorview feeds.

    All the above took time and a bit of outlay but it was well spaced out and I enjoy great viewing options with zero subscription costs.




  • slave1 wrote: »
    Folks, this is the route I went down.
    Was originally with Sky and where I live could never get analog Irish channels due to being in a blackspot and Sky were the only option at the time.
    I then cancelled Sky when my year was up and kept the equipment for freeview.
    Then purchased a Humax FreeSat box which is a fantastic piece of kit, allows series link, 7 day EPG etc and hooked up to my Sky dish, at the same time I got a quad LNB on the dish and put in the extra cabling for old Sky boxes in different rooms.
    Few years later and Sky had a mad offer on so I got another dish installed with a HD box and subscribed for a year, it was worth the subscription money for the equipment and installation, after the year just kept the equipment and put an extra two cables into the house from the new quad.
    So now have 8 satellite feeds.
    With the launch of Saorview I was told I would need a large external ariel to pick it up, got the large ariel and put in into the attic with a powered distributor and all fine.
    Along the way I upgraded my TV's to Saorview and some to Freesat.
    Late last year put a dual TV tuner card into my HTPC to take down Saorview and Free to Air English channels.

    So now have Saorview/Freesat on one TV with direct cable feeds that I can use to record on a portable hard drive, Humax FreeSat (dual sat. feed) hooked up to another Saorview TV that does my main recording, two Saorview TV's with old Sky boxes in bedrooms and another Saorview TV that's hooked up to my HTPC with both Satellite and Saorview feeds.

    All the above took time and a bit of outlay but it was well spaced out and I enjoy great viewing options with zero subscription costs.

    My head hurts after reading that :confused:

    What channels have you ended up with?




  • bromley52 wrote: »

    A proper Freesat box with a hard drive would be great for the UK channels and 7 day EPG, but you would need to switch to your Saorview source to view and record the ROI channels. It becomes tiresome very quickly having to switch between the two. No combo Freesat box exists.

    Most of the Linux Receivers allow the Combo functionality and they are cheap enough now, you can get this one for about €140:
    http://www.freetv.ie/triple-tuner.html

    This will give you the Saorview channels and all the Freesat Channels in 1 TV guide with a full 7 day EPG and series link functionality etc. on the Enigma Software.

    You can also record from Saorview and Freesat at the same time and have RTE Player etc. plugins all in the one unit so very comparable to the UPC service and no more to pay after the initial €140 investment!




  • jay0109 wrote: »
    My head hurts after reading that :confused:

    What channels have you ended up with?

    Yeah, I have cables everywhere in the ceilings now (I put them all in when replacing ceilings).
    Basically I can watch and record all the typical free to air Irish and UK channels from three places e.g. RTE, BBC1 HD.
    I no longer have any movie or sports packages however with 120mb broadband I get anything I want from a combination of web downloads and XBMC.


  • Advertisement


  • reni10 wrote: »
    Most of the Linux Receivers allow the Combo functionality and they are cheap enough now, you can get this one for about €140:
    http://www.freetv.ie/triple-tuner.html

    This will give you the Saorview channels and all the Freesat Channels in 1 TV guide with a full 7 day EPG and series link functionality etc. on the Enigma Software.

    You can also record from Saorview and Freesat at the same time and have RTE Player etc. plugins all in the one unit so very comparable to the UPC service and no more to pay after the initial €140 investment!

    Very interesting reni10

    Can I ask a couple of questions about this:
    - do you need a dish or can you plug into into the broadband connection?
    - are all the saorview and freesat channels there on the 1 EPG screen? Or do I have to jump from 1 area to another which is very annoying
    - does it require regular updates? Can it become obsolete?
    - can I run an android box such as Neo X8-H alongside this for additional content

    thanks




  • Any chance we can talk about UPC deals?




  • degsie wrote: »
    Currently on 60Mb/s bb + offpeak phone + digital select TV for around €70pm. Am I likely to get a better deal? Anybody with a similar package getting same at a better price?
    degsie wrote: »
    Any chance we can talk about UPC deals?

    Did you get sorted yet?




  • Tugboats wrote: »
    Did you get sorted yet?

    Not so successful on my first call. Had to cut it short, but will try again today.




  • degsie wrote: »
    Not so successful on my first call. Had to cut it short, but will try again today.

    I made the mistake of asking for a deal first time around. Then i just rang and told them I want to cancel because sky are offering me 40 per month for 6 months. Straight away they matched it




  • jay0109 wrote: »
    Very interesting reni10

    Can I ask a couple of questions about this:
    - do you need a dish or can you plug into into the broadband connection?
    - are all the saorview and freesat channels there on the 1 EPG screen? Or do I have to jump from 1 area to another which is very annoying
    - does it require regular updates? Can it become obsolete?
    - can I run an android box such as Neo X8-H alongside this for additional content

    thanks

    Probably going off topic for this Bargain thread but quickly:

    - You need a dish and maybe an aerial
    - 1 EPG for both and can be sorted whichever way you want
    - It is updatable and is open source
    - Android Box is seperate so use that as you use it now.




  • mossy464 wrote: »
    I've had phone and bb with UPC for about 3 years now. Current bill is 60.50 per month but that elevates to over 70 every month with mobile calls. I rang a few weeks ago about adding mobile as I saw they were now offering a mobile calls package but the guy said they werent offering this to existing customers at the moment.

    Should I push for a better deal?

    So I rang there and was able to switch to the 45 euro package of 240mb bb, with unlimited calls, including mobile so im happy. Reduces the bill by about 30 quid a month.




  • When I rang them saying I wanted to cancel/change my plan, they said I needed to give them a 30 days notice beforehand, is that the case?

    Thanks




  • robertowjr wrote: »
    When I rang them saying I wanted to cancel/change my plan, they said I needed to give them a 30 days notice beforehand, is that the case?

    Thanks

    Yes 30 days notice to cancel. If you are changing your package there should be no need for notice.




  • Trilla90 wrote: »
    Just looking at how much people in this thread are paying and i’m shocked to realise the parents are currently paying €160 per month for the services below. I’m pretty sure they're being ripped off just want to make sure

    moBunxxl.png

    Just to confirm they have

    - basic 30mb broadband (hasn't been upgraded in two years or so)
    - HD DVR box in sitting room (non-horizon)
    - another HD DVR box (multiroom)
    - standard dvr box (multiroom)
    - basic non recordable box (multiroom)

    Apart form the fact there are 4 boxes in the house i can't understand how UPC are charging so much, they're already paying a fortune i can't imagine them paying any more when the new charges come in. Any help/advise would be appreciated.

    bromley52 wrote: »
    The price is actually about right coming in at €155 but if they were to upgrade they would possibly get all new boxes, faster bb and completly free telephone + mobile. On top of that I would expect to get some sort of deal for 6 months.

    Might be a dumb question but when you say upgrade do you mean cancelling with them first and then getting a good deal as a new customer or getting on to the loyalty team and asking for an upgrade? They’ve been with them 5 years if that would help, would they have to say they’re thinking of moving to Sky or something like or would the fact they're loyal customers be enough reason to get a deal?


  • Advertisement


  • Trilla90 wrote: »
    Might be a dumb question but when you say upgrade do you mean cancelling with them first and then getting a good deal as a new customer or getting on to the loyalty team and asking for an upgrade? They’ve been with them 5 years if that would help, would they have to say they’re thinking of moving to Sky or something like or would the fact they're loyal customers be enough reason to get a deal?

    The fact they haven't been given any discounts in years/ever should be enough. They are also paying a fair bit each month. I'd ring up pretending to be your parent and say your thinking of going to sky. They will probably offer you one of the new bundles then, then maybe try haggle a little more off them.




  • Just off the phone, was paying €60/PM for 120MB, Anytime World, and select Horizon TV. Now €40 for 6, and then €80 for remaining 6 with 240MB, All Mobile Calls as well as the max package with the TV. Works out the same sure! Happy enough!




  • ive been a customer for years, 5 plus.

    at the mo im on digimax tv with movies, 120 mb broadband, main tv box is only a normal digi plus box not horizon.

    have multiroom with the bog standard box no record function,which is ancient too.
    and have landline with free national anytime calls.

    last feb i signed up to getting this at approx e98 p/m.
    its now going up to approx e130 p/m ( e8 pack increase and other discounts expiring e28):mad:

    was onto loyality dep and the man was very rude and wouldnt give me a decent deal, considering how long ive been with them.

    i mentioned if they could renew my discounts of e28 and then set price at e100 p/m id stick with them. but no luck.he wouldnt give me a deal,just said if you want to reduce price then drop movies and go to digi value, which i do not as selection is crap. seems upc arent happy with getting e1200 for the next year off of me. :confused:

    looking at eircom deals and i can get most of what i have now for e70 for 6 months that rises to e105. has all the channels i watch.

    greedy upc




  • Hi UPC, if you could respond here that would be great.

    As I previously stated here I have sent through my cancellation request on the 12th of January due to the price increase.

    With the intention of closing down the account then potentially either signing back up the 120 Mb Broadband only and go with Sky for TV as it works out cheaper than any of your bundles.

    An interesting thing has happened as of the 12th of January I have not recieved any contact from UPC even though I was advised I would be contacted within 24 hours in relation to the cancellation.

    So it is 4 days later and still no sign of any contact or confirmation that the cancellation is taking place.

    So I decided to call you today to see what the situation is in regards confirmation etc....

    Now the Customer Advisor I spoke with was quite rude and abrupt but that is neither here nor there. That is a training issue. So apparently the reason my cancellation request has not been actioned is due to a backlog for the loyality team in processing requests.

    Ok I can understand that - due to the price increase your lines are a lot busier then usual with people wishing to cancel as their service is been reduced for a higher price.

    What preplexed me however is 2 things - firstly the cancellation process has started without any confirmation to myself or a date when this would be cancelled, which I found out today is the 10th of February.

    Also if I sign up after my account is closed I am not viewed as a new customer as my data will still be on the system. Can I ask why this as I assume when my account is closed down and all payments have been made and stopped that my data would be removed from your system due to the Data Protection Act.

    I can understand a period of time in terms of any outstanding payments for instance that you may need to chase, however if everything is paid up, why do you still retain my details?

    Is there anything I can do to request that you remove all details in relation to myself from your system once the account is closed and settled and how do I go about this?

    Thanks,

    Jamie




  • JamieP wrote: »
    Hi UPC, if you could respond here that would be great.

    As I previously stated here I have sent through my cancellation request on the 12th of January due to the price increase.

    With the intention of closing down the account then potentially either signing back up the 120 Mb Broadband only and go with Sky for TV as it works out cheaper than any of your bundles.

    An interesting thing has happened as of the 12th of January I have not recieved any contact from UPC even though I was advised I would be contacted within 24 hours in relation to the cancellation.

    So it is 4 days later and still no sign of any contact or confirmation that the cancellation is taking place.

    So I decided to call you today to see what the situation is in regards confirmation etc....

    Now the Customer Advisor I spoke with was quite rude and abrupt but that is neither here nor there. That is a training issue. So apparently the reason my cancellation request has not been actioned is due to a backlog for the loyality team in processing requests.

    Ok I can understand that - due to the price increase your lines are a lot busier then usual with people wishing to cancel as their service is been reduced for a higher price.

    What preplexed me however is 2 things - firstly the cancellation process has started without any confirmation to myself or a date when this would be cancelled, which I found out today is the 10th of February.

    Also if I sign up after my account is closed I am not viewed as a new customer as my data will still be on the system. Can I ask why this as I assume when my account is closed down and all payments have been made and stopped that my data would be removed from your system due to the Data Protection Act.

    I can understand a period of time in terms of any outstanding payments for instance that you may need to chase, however if everything is paid up, why do you still retain my details?

    Is there anything I can do to request that you remove all details in relation to myself from your system once the account is closed and settled and how do I go about this?

    Thanks,

    Jamie

    You might want to post this over on the UPC Talk To... forum?




  • Thanks Degsie,

    Sorry I don't use Boards often, I will move it now and delete here :)




  • degsie wrote: »
    You might want to post this over on the UPC Talk To... forum?

    Do you have a link to it? Didn't think such a thing existed.

    There's a UPC rep that posts to sell, sell, sell, haven't seen him when the poop hits the fan and there's a price increase.




  • Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Do you have a link to it?


    Talk To UPC




  • rang the 061272190, had to send email to cancel tv sub, got 22.50 for 4 mths 45 for rest of year contract, all call 240 mb broadband, technicolor modem being sent tomorrow, cheers op


  • Advertisement


  • chris1970 wrote:
    rang the 061272190, had to send email to cancel tv sub, got 22.50 for 4 mths 45 for rest of year contract, all call 240 mb broadband, technicolor modem being sent tomorrow, cheers op


    Does technicolor give you more than 50-60-80 on wifi ??


Advertisement