Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Arbie wrote: »
    I rang recently on behalf of an older relative who was out of contract for phone/TV/BB. The wait times were 30-60 minutes and the agents we dealt with were awful. They sounded totally bored and got annoyed when I asked about deals/offers. One agent told me the current package was so good they we should be grateful they weren't raising the price!

After 3 calls they offered 6 months at half price but we rang eir who included mobile & better TV package for less. We've called eir a few times to port number, set up caller ID, etc. and they have been quick & courteous.

Would be interested to hear of your experiences with eir, particularly around usability of box and remote control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Do you know when Vodafone are launching their service?

Sometime this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

RainyDay wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear of your experiences with eir, particularly around usability of box and remote control.

Elderly relative has poor vision & doesn't like technology but finds eir remote and guide better than UPC was. I've used it a couple of times & find it faster than Horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

YanisK wrote: »
    Maybe you could offer some advice to this: recently moved to an apartment where UPC plugs were on the walls so I was certain that I'll take the service with me, however it turns out that they used to have this area connected but do not offer any service until 2018!! So at this point I'm left with about 5 months of contract that I can't practically use.

My options according to them are either cancel for €200 or pass/transfer my account to another person, but neither of them are attractive..

I was under the impression you could cancel without penalty if they could not provide the service, as in when you move. Keep pushing them. maybe you got the wrong operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They definitely don't let you off if they can't provide the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hey folks - anyone been onto the loyalty department lately? Contract is up in the next few days so want to see if they'll do anything for me (paying 80 for BB/2nd Tier TV/Phone).

Have to say that Eir's 4 in 1 package including the Mobile looks decent value @25/month for 12 (understand it goes up to 92 thereafter however - still cheaper than what I'm paying for UPC and Mobile; ~105 and you get a free 4G handset afaik).

Loyalty number still the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

cson wrote: »
    Hey folks - anyone been onto the loyalty department lately? Contract is up in the next few days so want to see if they'll do anything for me (paying 80 for BB/2nd Tier TV/Phone).

Have to say that Eir's 4 in 1 package including the Mobile looks decent value @25/month for 12 (understand it goes up to 92 thereafter however - still cheaper than what I'm paying for UPC and Mobile; ~105 and you get a free 4G handset afaik).

Loyalty number still the same?

Is that deal with the phone not 24 month contract?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

GBX wrote: »

If it's like for like, it would wind up cheaper, even over two years.

105 * 24 = 2520
    (25*12) + (92*12) = 1404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I was under the impression you could cancel without penalty if they could not provide the service, as in when you move. Keep pushing them. maybe you got the wrong operator.

I think they used to do that. I remember talking to them a few years ago and they mentioned it. They probably got rid of it (assuming they ever had it, could have just been told that to get me to sign up as moving was a concern I mentioned)

GBX wrote: »

It is yeah; still cheaper though plus free handset too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

I emailed UPC the other day as my contract is up. Currently paying 85e per month for Horizon Max TV, Broadband and never used phone minutes.
    Asked whats the best they could do as I'm looking at Sky's offers etc.

Said if I dropped to a standard Horizon TV package (drop 50 channels + 15 or so HD channels), they could lower my price to 80e per month!!!!
    Said there were no offers at the moment as Virgin Media offers are seasonal.
    But if I do want to cancel, be sure to ring their loyalty team first they

Priceless stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I called the loyalty team, I told them I don't use the TV that much & wanted to cancel the TV and first they offered 20 euro off for 4 months. I said no
    They then offered 15 euro for 6 months and I said no.
    I told them Sky's offer was much better at 49 euro PM for 12 months.
    They then offered 6 months half price. I told them I would think about it.
    The thing Virgin media has raised all the pries for their packages.

I'm on the basic package which was 75 euro PM and that price has gone up to 80. so it would be 40 euro x 6 and then 80 euro by 6 total cost is 720

Sky offer TV & BB (Speed of BB is less) for 49 euro PM for 12 months and 100 euro cash back total cost is 488 including the cash back.

I'm really thinking of moving to Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

crazyderk wrote: »
    I called the loyalty team, I told them I don't use the TV that much & wanted to cancel the TV and first they offered 20 euro off for 4 months. I said no
    They then offered 15 euro for 6 months and I said no.
    I told them Sky's offer was much better at 49 euro PM for 12 months.
    They then offered 6 months half price. I told them I would think about it.
    The thing Virgin media has raised all the pries for their packages.

I'm on the basic package which was 75 euro PM and that price has gone up to 80. so it would be 40 euro x 6 and then 80 euro by 6 total cost is 720

Sky offer TV & BB (Speed of BB is less) for 49 euro PM for 12 months and 100 euro cash back total cost is 488 including the cash back.

I'm really thinking of moving to Sky

Is that €49 for tv and broadband including line rental? Sometimes they forget to mention line rental is an extra €30 p/m

Yeah, that doesn't up to what I priced them at for the mother, even with the basic sky pack and hd taken off it was a lot more than that with Bb/phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

breeno wrote: »
    Is that €49 for tv and broadband including line rental? Sometimes they forget to mention line rental is an extra €30 p/m

it includes it.
    New to Sky
    Get The Original Bundle + Fibre Unlimited
    €79.50
    €49 a month
    for 12 months (line rental included)
    to be honest the original package is missing allot of channels.
    the above deal is 59 if you upgrade to the variety package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I'm on an old plan Fibre 120 Chat for €30 a month. I believe I get 120Mb Fibre Unlimited Broadband, unlimited off peak local, National calls & 400 minutes to 22 International countries.

I want to change this to include on peak calls and maybe up the broadband speed for similar cost. This is a fairly minimal change, but no doubt Virgin will make me jump through hoops despite 20 plus years of unbroken custom.

Any suggestions of alternatives I can use for leverage? The key services for me are broadband and international landline to Australia.

Rang there.

Best they could do was 'upgrade' me to Horizon Max (I don't give a **** about TV tbh) & half price (€42.50) for 4 months and then €85 for 8 months.

Will call again and see if I can get 6 months, otherwise it'll one of the Eir bundles for me.

Rang there.

Best they could do was 'upgrade' me to Horizon Max (I don't give a **** about TV tbh) & half price (€42.50) for 4 months and then €85 for 8 months.

Will call again and see if I can get 6 months, otherwise it'll one of the Eir bundles for me.

Remember EIR is a 24 month contract and can't offer a 2nd PVR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Hooked

My dad was in an old contract (with old hardware) and I managed to get him horizon box, 240MB BB and phone for 40 a month x 6, and 80 x the remaining 6. Not great, but not as bad as his old contract.

I'm on the last of the UPC 25 euro x 12 month packages for the same thing! GO FIGURE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I'm on an old plan Fibre 120 Chat for €30 a month. I believe I get 120Mb Fibre Unlimited Broadband, unlimited off peak local, National calls & 400 minutes to 22 International countries.

I want to change this to include on peak calls and maybe up the broadband speed for similar cost. This is a fairly minimal change, but no doubt Virgin will make me jump through hoops despite 20 plus years of unbroken custom.

Any suggestions of alternatives I can use for leverage? The key services for me are broadband and international landline to Australia.
    I called earlier and took an offer of 240mb Anytime World for EUR50 on a twelve month contract, half price for 4 months. Works out at EUR41.67 a month on average.

My bills have been averaging €33.51 over the last year, and €39.02 over the last 4 months with the wife at home on maternity leave. International calls during the day were causing the high bills.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Remember EIR is a 24 month contract and can't offer a 2nd PVR

Would still work out cheaper for me - paying ~€25 a month for mobile as is so with Virgin = €105 p/m = €1260, or €1050 if I take their 4 months half price offer.

With Eir it'd be €25 x 12 + €92 x 12 = €1404 for 24 months. So I'd be paying essentially €354 (€29.50/month) for a further 12 months service after vs Virgin.

Even if you wanted to cancel it'd be €25 x 12 + €400 cancellation fee = 700. Still significantly cheaper than Virgin.

You could in theory flog the free Smartphone to bring the cost down further too.

Think that Eir deal is a cracking deal personally.

Would still work out cheaper for me - paying ~€25 a month for mobile as is so with Virgin = €105 p/m = €1260, or €1050 if I take their 4 months half price offer.

With Eir it'd be €25 x 12 + €92 x 12 = €1404 for 24 months. So I'd be paying essentially €354 (€29.50/month) for a further 12 months service after vs Virgin.

Even if you wanted to cancel it'd be €25 x 12 + €400 cancellation fee = 700. Still significantly cheaper than Virgin.

You could in theory flog the free Smartphone to bring the cost down further too.

Think that Eir deal is a cracking deal personally.

It is provided you don't want a 2nd recordable box which they can't offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

it includes it.
    New to Sky
    €79.50
    €49 a month

Do the sky basic packages include HD tv channels?

It is provided you don't want a 2nd recordable box which they can't offer

Doesn't matter a ****e to me (and a lot of people I'd reckon).

Do the sky basic packages include HD tv channels?

Nope, HD is extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

MarkR wrote: »
    If it's like for like, it would wind up cheaper, even over two years.

105 * 24 = 2520
    (25*12) + (92*12) = 1404

That assumes no discount being applied to the upc packages, which would be 2 x 12 month contracts.

I'm not a UPC fanboi either. I cancelled the TV with them last year and have gone without TV, using an android box, which is all I need. I use UPC BB 240mb and the unlimited phone. Not the best price, but the only one that suits my needs, because I use call forwarding to a mobile and UPC don't charge me for the privilege outside of my package. Eir do charge per call forward and that can add up.

it includes it.
    New to Sky
    €79.50
    €49 a month

Whatever about line rental, Isn't Sky Talk required (€30), actually offer says it comes free with the bb.
    If not, then it's a good deal (apart from the channels, which are basic enough)
    I was pricing daytime calls and documentares on it to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I played hardball this evening with loyalty

I have Horizon max, anytime calls to landlines including international and 240mb BB currently paying €85 per month.

first I got offered a "one of special " not normally offered of €15 off per month for 4 months, I said no I wanted to cancel
    she came back with 6 months half price and 6 months full I said no off she went again and came back with €42.50 for 9 months and 3 months at €85 with no package change and a 12 month contract in all

well happy with that

patrickc wrote: »
    I played hardball this evening with loyalty

I have Horizon max, anytime calls to landlines including international and 240mb BB currently paying €85 per month.

first I got offered a "one of special " not normally offered of €15 off per month for 4 months, I said no I wanted to cancel
    she came back with 6 months half price and 6 months full I said no off she went again and came back with €42.50 for 9 months and 3 months at €85 with no package change and a 12 month contract in all

well happy with that

Was it an Indian call centre?

Might try again tomorrow so - I assume you took the line of "you can do better than that" etc etc?

• Advertisement

Was it an Indian call centre?

Might try again tomorrow so - I assume you took the line of "you can do better than that" etc etc?

it was but I'd missed a call from a Dublin guy that i asked to contact me through the VM forum here.

I just said sky have offered me 12 months at €45 I'm cancelling unless your price is reduced basically. the girl kept going to her supervisor and I could understand her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

I find if you show zero interest whatsoever in what they offer you and keep pushing to just cancel the service that's when you get the best deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I called to cancel and they said I had to email cancel@virginmedia.ie

Is this the normal procedure? Sent the email anyway!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hexosan wrote: »
    I find if you show zero interest whatsoever in what they offer you and keep pushing to just cancel the service that's when you get the best deal

I normally do this every year. But this year they let me. I got right through to cancellation and I had to back track a day later to cancel the cancellation :(

On another note, I rang up today to upgrade to at least get the Disney channels for the kids. They wanted €12 extra per month, fair enough, I'm getting more stations plus more HD stations, but then wanted €60 just to activate the upgrade!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

goz83 wrote: »
    I use call forwarding to a mobile and UPC don't charge me.

Really. Can you tell us more please. Is it actually forwarded to your mobile number? ...or to the upc (landline) app on your phone? Thanks.

I called to cancel and they said I had to email cancel@virginmedia.ie

Is this the normal procedure? Sent the email anyway!
    Pretty sure that address is wrong, unless they've changed it very recently.

• Advertisement

Really. Can you tell us more please. Is it actually forwarded to your mobile number? ...or to the upc (landline) app on your phone? Thanks.

The way it works is, say you were ringing me. You dial my landline number, it diverts to my mobile, once it connects you start paying your normal rate to a landline. Nothing changes there, but my upc landline is effectively calling my mobile number, so I would have a call from my landline to my mobile on upc bill.
    That's the only cost implication. If you have a plan that has mobile minutes then you don't pay any extra to transfer the call to a mobile. There's no setup charge or charge per call.

If you were using the phone app you could answer your landline with your mobile without having to activate call forwarding in the first place, using data or wifi, but forwarding is better if you have the mobile minutes.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure that address is wrong, unless they've changed it very recently.

I got an auto email back saying it would be processed.
    Hello!

Thanks for your email. This is an automatically generated e-mail. Your request will be processed by us in the next 5 working days.
    Please note that this email address is used for cancellation of service queries only.

If you use this email address for queries not related to cancellation, there is a risk that your request will not be reviewed.

To contact Virgin Media via email regarding queries not related to cancellation of service, please use this E-mail Form and the relevant department will review your query, and respond as quickly as possible.

We are disappointed to hear you want to cancel your service. We offer a wide range of options, products, packs and price points to suit our customers’ needs. If you would like to discuss these with us, please call us now on freephone 1908.

If we don't hear from you, your request to cancel your service(s) will now be processed. As per our Terms and Conditions, this cancellation will be scheduled 30 days from the date of this email.

We are sorry to see you go and hope you will consider us again in the future.
    We would appreciate if you could take a few minutes to complete a quick survey to let us know if we could have done more for you, please click here.

The cancellation of your service(s) will appear on the bill issued after your cancellation date, and will show the changes made to your account and any charges outstanding up to that date. Please note that if you are cancelling any of your services within your contract period, a cancellation fee of €200 will be applied to your account. If you are outside your contract period you will not be charged a cancellation fee.

You will receive a call from us within the next 30 days to arrange the collection of your equipment.
    If you prefer, you can contact our collector directly on 01 4405310 or email vmequipmentcollections@sierra.ie to arrange an earlier pick-up of the equipment.

As this is an automatically generated e-mail, please do not reply as, unfortunately, you won't receive a response.

However, if you have any further queries please click here to view our FAQs.
    Alternatively, click here to submit a query in relation to your account.
    You can also contact us on 1908 from 9am to 9pm, Monday to Sunday.

Kind regards,
    Customer Value Management Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The Virgin loyalty team do not appear to be that interested in doing great deals, only got offered €10 off for six months (phone and broadband only, no TV).

The Virgin loyalty team do not appear to be that interested in doing great deals, only got offered €10 off for six months (phone and broadband only, no TV).

They're shocking. Terrible English. Long, drawn out conversations. Trying to give their insight into the speeds and power of the modem. Fake American accents. Absolutely painful.

After being offered 6 months half price I decided to go ahead and still cancel as sky are offering 12 months for 49 euro I quoted that to them and they put me on hold for quite some time they then came back and offered me 9 months half price which I'm going to accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

crazyderk wrote: »
    After being offered 6 months half price I decided to go ahead and still cancel as sky are offering 12 months for 49 euro I quoted that to them and they put me on hold for quite some time they then came back and offered me 9 months half price which I'm going to accept.

love it.

What number did you call in order to get the 9 months offer?

I'm on 240MB mobile world right now. Paying 45 a month.

The best they offered me was 4 months half price at 25 a month then 50 a month after that. 12 month contract. And that's Anytime World, not Mobile world.

Or else the 360mb package. 4 months at 30 euro and 8 months at 60 euro. That includes the existing phone package.

Terrible offers!

What number did you call in order to get the 9 months offer?

I'm on 240MB mobile world right now. Paying 45 a month.

The best they offered me was 4 months half price at 25 a month then 50 a month after that. 12 month contract. And that's Anytime World, not Mobile world.

Or else the 360mb package. 4 months at 30 euro and 8 months at 60 euro. That includes the existing phone package.

Terrible offers!

I've tv phone and BB which is 80 a month and have been with them for a number of years.

I called the regular number there's an option to select if you're thinking of cancelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, the Virgin call centre most of us have spoken to is in the Philippines, not India, so I think it's more a case of recent US colonisation rather than putting on fake American accents ;)

Called again; got offered the 6 months at half price almost instantly after quoting the Sky offer and highlighting the annual disparity. Told her then that I'd had 'friends' (aka you guys! :pac:) that had been offered 9 months half price and I wanted that, she hopped off the phone and I was on hold for ~10+mins; came back and asked me for their account details (!!!); told her I couldn't give her that information and surely she can only talk to the account holder. But yeah no go on the 9 months, sounds like it was the first she'd heard and she wanted to check it on someone elses to see how to put it through on mine.

Called again; got offered the 6 months at half price almost instantly after quoting the Sky offer and highlighting the annual disparity. Told her then that I'd had 'friends' (aka you guys! :pac:) that had been offered 9 months half price and I wanted that, she hopped off the phone and I was on hold for ~10+mins; came back and asked me for their account details (!!!); told her I couldn't give her that information and surely she can only talk to the account holder. But yeah no go on the 9 months, sounds like it was the first she'd heard and she wanted to check it on someone elses to see how to put it through on mine.

worth a try eh

You just need to play the game! They can't just give you free stuff cos you're asking. Do as a poster did earlier and keep telling them you wanna leave because a rival has a better deal.
    I tried the whole "my friend got this and that with ye" when I was trying to get sky bill down, got nowhere - yet my missus' sister gave them a sob story and she got her tv for half nothing. They'll have done training on when to not give mad discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

You just need to play the game! They can't just give you free stuff cos you're asking. Do as a poster did earlier and keep telling them you wanna leave because a rival has a better deal.
    I tried the whole "my friend got this and that with ye" when I was trying to get sky bill down, got nowhere - yet my missus' sister gave them a sob story and she got her tv for half nothing. They'll have done training on when to not give mad discounts.

its all about how convincing you sound

Yeah I think when I call back I'm going to just present the annual figures in terms of Sky/Eir vs UPC plus some kind of story about how I can't afford it anymore despite being a customer for 4+ years and being relatively happy with the service (if you say you're not happy with the service they switch from discounts to 'upgrading' your package). Third time lucky hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah I think when I call back I'm going to just present the annual figures in terms of Sky/Eir vs UPC plus some kind of story about how I can't afford it anymore despite being a customer for 4+ years and being relatively happy with the service (if you say you're not happy with the service they switch from discounts to 'upgrading' your package). Third time lucky hopefully.

I've found the loyalty department since it got relocated abroad to be absolutely abhorant in trying to source deals. When it was based in Dublin no problems.

I was in touch last night getting information about the 360mb broadband service, I'm an existing customer, and the options I got was

a) Theyd have to cancel my current package and set me up on a new one for €95 a month( basically what new customers get)

b) I could again have my current package cancelled, moved to the 360mb bundle and my Tv removed, and pay a €200 cancellation fee for removing the TV. And this package being €60 a month

The TV btw, which I don't pay for, is free, and sits still in the wrapper upstairs. My main gripe was they said they can't offer a promotion onto an existing promotion. Even though they were more then happy to offer me a mobile promotion, and a promotion before that, onto existing promotions.

So basically in short, no option for 360mb for me, unless I want to bump my bill by €60 a month, why the hell I'd want to do that as an existing customer I've no idea.

Was a crazy situation, guy in loyalty just didnt seem interested. My Sky account is ending shortly and I'm toying what to do. but I'm not going to bother with Virgin and another twelve month extension excluding me from the 360mb broadband for a further time.

All this started by my Da ringing me saying that he enquired about the 360mb upgrade from 240mb, they quoted him a €60 installation fee, he went on his haggle and rant, and ended up getting the upgrade entirely for free, just agreeing to a new 12 month term.

I guess I can't complain to much. I got a cold call from their sales team last year basically saying if I took the TV for free, my package would get half price for duration of the contract.

So I pay €35 a month for 240mb BB, unlimited calls anytime on the phone and something with international calls, and some form of horizon, that sits upstairs in the wrapper. Frustration for me is BB the only interest, and I always make sure I'm on the latest and fastest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement