Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options
1329330331332333335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Injury update.

Foley out by the sounds of it. CM still shrouded in mystery, hopefully the scan goes ok. ER could be touch n go. Heaslip has two weeks to get right and sure we all know what he's like. Ruddock back to Leinster is no surprise, so presumably he's not use in training that means he's got another week or two before he can do contact.

No word on DK, that's unusual....

I'm reading that as Murray being out. They specifically mention trying to get Redser back for the Italy game. That wouldn't be as big a deal if we had Murray available for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Likely Wolfhounds team so?

McGrath Strauss Ross
    McCarthy Henderson
    Ryan TOD/Murphy* Conan
    Marmion Keatley
    Gilroy D'Arcy Cave McFadden
    Jones

*whichever of TOD/Murphy isn't involved against Italy will start

I think any notion that the WHs are a development side for younger guys is gone out the window now, the selection will be purely about giving gametime to players who might be called upon during the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Earls will definitely start if fit. Perhaps he would have played on against Sale if it wasn't a meaningless match.

I'm not a fan of using veterans like D'Arcy in A matches but then all the Ulster 12s are injured. Noel Reid potentially?

Earls will definitely start if fit. Perhaps he would have played on against Sale if it wasn't a meaningless match.

Totally forgot about Earls!

Right, drop McFadden so, stick Earls on the wing.

How about drop Darce and move Ferg to 12????

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    How about drop Darce and move Ferg to 12????

I'm predicting what Joe will do, just to make that clear.

But no, I'd say D'Arcy will play. McFadden has put in monster shifts the last two weeks and we don't need to know anything more about what he can do. D'Arcy needs game time and, while he might not start in Rome, I don't share the boards.ie consensus that Joe is going to jettison him completely.

Actually, Payne might be involved somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Likely Wolfhounds team so?

McGrath Strauss Ross
    McCarthy Henderson
    Ryan TOD/Murphy* Conan
    Marmion Keatley
    Gilroy D'Arcy Cave McFadden
    Jones

*whichever of TOD/Murphy isn't involved against Italy will start

I think any notion that the WHs are a development side for younger guys is gone out the window now, the selection will be purely about giving gametime to players who might be called upon during the 6N.

I'm not a fan of using veterans like D'Arcy in A matches but then all the Ulster 12s are injured. Noel Reid potentially?

100% agree this won't be about trying young lads, it will be used to get possibles back up to speed.

My take, we'll see Earls and McFadden on the wings as they are the two who will push Zebo most. If Jones is fit he'll probably start at fullback although I wouldn't mind seeing Gilroy there....Jones is clear choice for backup to Kearney and he has played lots of rugby so I don't think he needs the game like some of the others do. I can't see Gilroy having any involvement in the tournament so it's a moot point really.

In the centre you have D'Arcy, Reid, Cave and Payne. I think D'Arcy will start. My thinking, if Henshaw gets injured or a change is to be made at 12, it will be D'Arcy that will be called upon and considering how little he has played in the last month I think he needs the game. Plus, he's probably best equipped to cope with Burgess. Hard to say what will happen at 13, Payne seems to be preferred by Schmidt although personally I think Cave is a better 13 and Payne a brilliant 15. If I had to guess, I'd say Payne will get the nod.

Finally, 10 is another tricky one. Madigan is surely the front runner for the Italy game. Should we wrap him in cotton wool? On the other hand, he hasn't played 10 in quite a while and he's coming off one of his worst kicking performances in a long time. Maybe 50 minutes at 10 is just what he needs to get back into that role and get his kicking confidence back!

15. Jones
    14. McFadden
    13. Payne
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Earls
    10. Madigan
    9. Marmion

See above re: D'Arcy and the general purpose of the game. I don't think Reid will start, he's not likely to be involved in the senior team at any point so it's a bit of a waste of a jersey, he will provide 10-12 cover from the bench.

See above re: D'Arcy and the general purpose of the game. I don't think Reid will start, he's not likely to be involved in the senior team at any point so it's a bit of a waste of a jersey, he will provide 10-12 cover from the bench.

Unless Joe wants Mads to get time at 10. Which might make sense as he's only started there 3 times this season IIRC. I also think Payne stands a strong chance of playing 13 after the AIs. If only Olding was fit that would make 12 a bit easier. I wonder does Marshall stand a chance there? And will we bring in another lock if Foley is out?

McGrath Strauss Ross
    Henderson McCarthy
    Ryan Conan TOD

Marmion Madigan
    Darce Payne
    Earls Jones Gilroy

Herring, Cronin, White, Murphy, Diack, Boss, Keatley, Cave

There is a chance we might see Healy and/or SOB involved, but I wouldn't count on it either....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

S12b wrote: »
    Should we wrap him in cotton wool? On the other hand, he hasn't played 10 in quite a while and he's coming off one of his worst kicking performances in a long time.

Sorry to focus on one wee bit of your post, but you'd have to hope the kicking game will be rather unimportant against Italy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Without wanting to sound like a broken record it would be a but nuts to play Payne at 13 for the WHs over Cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

MJohnston wrote: »
    Sorry to focus on one wee bit of your post, but you'd have to hope the kicking game will be rather unimportant against Italy anyway.

Away from home to Italy first up is a tough game. We will also be missing Healy, O'Brien (from the start anyway) Sexton and by the sounds of it Murray.

Honestly I'd take a one point win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Marshall;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

MJohnston wrote: »

Away to Italy for our first game, there's nothing easy about that and it will be absolutely vital that we can take whatever 3 points are on offer.

The way to beat the Italians will be to keep the scoreboard ticking for the first 60 minutes and hope to run in a few tries in the last 20....if we're missing kicks and keeping the Italians in the game, it will make it a lot harder to kill them off. Madigan's boot will be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

mfceiling wrote: »
    Marshall;)

Didn't he get another knock to the head recently?

When is the wolfhounds game?

When is the wolfhounds game?

Friday night, live on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Played this weekend though, didn't he?

bilston wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound like a broken record it would be a but nuts to play Payne at 13 for the WHs over Cave.

Oh look I've been pretty supportive of the Cave option. I like the guy a lot. He's not flashy but he's smart and links up well with those around him. But for whatever reason I don't think Joe is a fan. Why I'm not sure. We're more likely to see Payne at 13 as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Pairing Luke Marshall with Cave in the centre and Payne at fullback could be really good for the wolfhounds backline. They should know each other inside out. Then Gilroy could be on one wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Pairing Luke Marshall with Cave in the centre and Payne at fullback could be really good for the wolfhounds backline. They should know each other inside out. Then Gilroy could be on one wing.

Them knowing eachother inside out is why I wouldn't try them in a Wolfhounds backline. It's a one-off game but a chance to experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's every game!! No he played at the weekend and came through unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Friday night, live on Sky

Also on RTE 2.

Luke Marshall isn't in the squad btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

New thread created link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement