Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is tipping not part of irish culture ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Flem31 wrote: »
    Who decided that the person delivering was self employed rather than an employee ?

If as a student and deliveries were your only source of income, delivering for only one take away, whose owner told you who to deliver to.......that makes you an employee in my eyes.

In slower periods it may have been worth more to you as an employee.
    Guessing it was the take away owner's choice which suited him\her

Well generally one of the Revenue guidelines for deciding if a perswon is self employed is "does the person provide their own tools" and a takeaway driver provides there own car and fuel and don't claim mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

FrStone wrote: »
    Well generally one of the Revenue guidelines for deciding if a perswon is self employed is "does the person provide their own tools" and a takeaway driver provides there own car and fuel and don't claim mileage.

That is only one of multiple indicators and anyone can pass one indicator or even a few but fail numerous others.
    Re the mileage, that suits the takeaway and is convenient for them.

The main indicator is probably .....who decides where you deliver and to whom.....do you take those instructions from one person or a number of people (your final contact is the customer but he didn't order from you in the first place).

Personally, I think if you were an employee you would make more money, because the one part that the takeaway owner can use to reduce his employee\mileage costs is the cash tips.......but he doesn't have control over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I tip based on the quality of service I receive. I did my time waitressing in my younger days, so I know what it's like. Some people will never tip regardless of how great the service is. Americans, in my experience, are the stingiest tippers and they will run you ragged getting them umpteen glasses of tap water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

You don't leave a tip because the service was brilliant, you leave a big tip because the next time you go there, the service will be brilliant. Tipping 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ive been to America a good few times and the Servers provide a good service whenever ive went out to restaurants.

If you eat out in America you have to tip because its frowned upon if you dont.

I only tip if I get great service over here.

Why should I tip a Taxi man that takes the long way to get to my destination?

Btw some chippers charge for delivery in Co.Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

WE have good unions in ireland,
    wages are lower in the usa ,
    you can still tip in restaurants, and tip taxi drivers if you want.
    many states in the usa have very low minimum wages .
    The point of a tip is you only tip if you get good service.
    otherwise just pay what,s on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Why do we not have a culture of tipping in Ireland ?
    In places like the states your expected to tip for everything like services in restaurants, cafes, hotels ect.

My uncle was in New York recently and didn't leave a tip. So the manager followed him out and aggressively demanded to know why he didn't tip.

I have a cousin who is a waiter in the states and earns $1000+ per week because of all the extra money he makes in tips.

So why don't we tip like the states.

In America, why should employers pay their staff when they can guilt-trip the public into doing it instead.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Minimum wage is the main answer.

Traditionally in the US there was no or a very low minimum wage, people that worked in service industry depended on tips to live. In Ireland this is not the case.

I like the tip culture of the US mainly because it results in you getting very good service. Tipping has crept in to Ireland in the last 10-15 years.. the only difference I see is that here staff feel entitled to the tips without offering good service.

I don't see how you can get dreadful service from a barman. If you are sitting with your friend at a bar for a couple of hours and give him a nod when you need a new drink whenever and he obliges then that's hardly excellent service. If he's serving someone else and eventually gets to you, that's hardly bad service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

FrStone wrote: »
    And what are the revenue guidelines on declaring tips for income tax purposes because I would imagine in 99% of cases that does not happen.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    It's a worldwide thing actually, there are many cultures where tipping is part of the culture. In the Czech Republic for instance you are expected to round up the tab in a bar to approx the nearest note. "Keep the change" basically. It's also a nice gesture to buy the barman "a drink" when getting a round in the UK.

That's a nice gesture anywhere. But it's not a custom and it's not expected and I've never seen it done so I call bullshit on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Egginacup wrote: »
    That's a nice gesture anywhere. But it's not a custom and it's not expected and I've never seen it done so I call bullshit on that one.

"And one for yourself", happens all the time, or certainly used to. I was always told I could take a half of bitter, or cash alternative.

Do-able, if you are an good waiter in a fine dining place.

3*3 covers a night average $200 check = $40 per table = $360 a night.

But as you point out fine dining involves tipping out the other staff, there are bussers etc. And if they have a sommelier that is going to slash your average check.

It's not restricted to "fine" dining. You're expected to give 10% to the barman and 15% to the bus-boy in dumps like TGIF, Bennigan's and standard bar-grill-restaurant type places as well. And I don't know of any restaurant that's rammed 7 nights a week nor do I know of too many waiter/waitresses who work 7 nights a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Cannot believe people tip in Ireland. We really are becoming more and more Americanised, even in the stupid traditions like this. Tipping shouldn't even be expected in America, how could restaurants possibly still be allowed to pay so badly with nobody complaining about it?

Triboro wrote: »
    Most American bars give a free drink after every 2-3 drinks so it kinda balances out with the tipping.

Usually the 4th drink is free. But sometimes I just want 2 drinks, or maybe max 3. I might want to do a pub crawl, i.e. 1 or 2 in a few different establishments. That means I never see the freebie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

It's a worldwide thing actually, there are many cultures where tipping is part of the culture. In the Czech Republic for instance you are expected to round up the tab in a bar to approx the nearest note. "Keep the change" basically. It's also a nice gesture to buy the barman "a drink" when getting a round in the UK.

It's very unusual in the uk to buy the barman a drink and often seen as ostentatious or crass, although it might be different now, and if you do it out in the country cue all of the other drinkers to stare at you as if you're from another planet!

Where ? Genuinely interested, have never seen that and God knows I drank in my fair share of pubs over there.

I lived in New York for 7 years and it was the norm in many places if the barman wanted to keep you there or if you were a regular. But it wasn't a hard and fast rule. I'm a pint drinker so in my local back in the day I would have 3 pint then get given a free one, but by the time I got up to my next freebie 7 pints I'm beginning to get a bit stewed. It just depends on the barman. The sign of a good barman is one who keeps on top of it and takes care of you. The sign of a GREAT barman is one who remembers that you only had 2 or 3 the last time you were there so have a freebie coming once you walk in the door.
    I don't know what it like in the rest of the country but when I was in other spots I didn't experience it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I don't tip :cool:

Most people who tip are only doing it to make themselves look good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Does seem to be becoming the norm in Ireland though I think it's weird.

People waiting on customers have to do all the ass-kissing and then deal with the complaints and abuse if something is wrong, so to me they should be getting all the tips rather than people who don't deal with customers at all. Kitchen Porters:eek:.

Also I think a lot of people tip for the service from whoever looked after them so don't really realise it might go elsewhere which again is unfair if tips go to other people.

I know this is a huge source of debate in many places of work but that is my view and I no longer deal with people in my current job, having done plenty when I had to deal with plenty of crap.

If I am leaving a tip in a restaurant it is generally based on food and service. The people waiting on the customers are only part of that. I wouldn't tip if the food was bad, just as I would tip more if the food was really good.
    I think its only fair that the chefs etc should get a share of the tips

UCDVet wrote: »
    1.) Nobody is entitled to a tip. I don't feel that way and I haven't made that claim.
    2.) It is the same. My reasons for liking or disliking people are my own....but I don't think they're much different than everyone else's. If I don't know you, you're neutral to me. If you do something nice - I like you a little more. If you do something mean - I dislike you a little more. If you're attractive a female, well, I'm sorry, but I like a little more.

So, whether I dislike someone at work because they talk too much in meetings or don't do the work they are meant to, or because they make me wait for 4 minutes before they answer their door, it's all the same to me. And if someone gives me a tip, well, I'm sorry, I like money....so I like them a bit more.

When I have a choice in deciding, I'm going to give preferential treatment to those that I like. Whether it be because they're attractive, friendly, or because they tip. Depending on my job and the situation I might not have any control, or I might have a lot. But I'll try to take care of people I like and I'll do the minimum required for people I dislike.

It was true when I was a paperboy. Most people - I didn't know, I delivered their paper. Whatever. Some people were extra nice, and I would make extra sure they got their paper all they way to their door - on an extra windy day I'd even stick it in their door or something. A few people, I didn't like, for whatever reason. I toss their paper on their lawn and called it a day. I did my job, but within the limits of my job, I treated people how I felt they deserved to be treated.

I've worked a lot of jobs, and it's never really any different. Some jobs give me more or less freedom, but it's only human nature. I'm always going to prefer doing things for people I like.

Tip all you want. It's your money but people who try to use emotional blackmail against those who don't see the need to tip by stating that waitresses in the US rely on tips for a living are just highlighting the problem and that is that service industry employers have found a great way of dicking their employees out of a living wage by slashing their pay and passing the cost on to the customer.
    If a waitress is working on a certain day when it's pissing rain and nobody comes in then she goes home with fuck all in her pocket even though she's worked a 8 or 10 hour shift (that is if the employer hasn't dicked her even further out of the miserable 2 bucks an hour she gets by sending her home early) and that's not right.
    And now you have even further exploitation by having these kind of workers "on-call" as it were. They are on a kind of make it up as you go along rota, i.e. be available should the place get busy and expect to be sent home at anytime if the place is not so busy...even before you start a shift, meaning that mothers can't schedule when to pick up their kids or do various personal tasks like doctor's/bank/college/interview for a better damn job appointment.

It's a pisstake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Egginacup wrote: »
    Tip all you want. It's your money but people who try to use emotional blackmail against those who don't see the need to tip by stating that waitresses in the US rely on tips for a living are just highlighting the problem and that is that service industry employers have found a great way of dicking their employees out of a living wage by slashing their pay and passing the cost on to the customer.
    If a waitress is working on a certain day when it's pissing rain and nobody comes in then she goes home with fuck all in her pocket even though she's worked a 8 or 10 hour shift (that is if the employer hasn't dicked her even further out of the miserable 2 bucks an hour she gets by sending her home early) and that's not right.
    And now you have even further exploitation by having these kind of workers "on-call" as it were. They are on a kind of make it up as you go along rota, i.e. be available should the place get busy and expect to be sent home at anytime if the place is not so busy...even before you start a shift, meaning that mothers can't schedule when to pick up their kids or do various personal tasks like doctor's/bank/college/interview for a better damn job appointment.

It's a pisstake.

Blackmail or not, i'm not paying extra for people to do there job better. If serve customers in a shop i wont slow down or speed up if they give me a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Lots of tipping going on in this country at the moment.''Fly-tipping'' they call it.Love to know where that came from.The Irish countryside is covered in rubbish from people that will not pay for their rubbish to be collected.They will pay for everything else but not rubbish collection/disposal.If people started tipping the problem will probably just get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I was in South Beach Florida, all the bars and restaurants added 20% to the bill as an obligitory tip. That on top of tax of 10% added 30% to the bill which was pretty annoying.

The 20% tax was because the locals were sick of cruise ships of Europeans arriving and not tipping a cent.

You ended up getting pretty crappy service and paying over the odds for the pleasure.

Triangla wrote: »
    I was in South Beach Florida, all the bars and restaurants added 20% to the bill as an obligitory tip. That on top of tax of 10% added 30% to the bill which was pretty annoying.

The 20% tax was because the locals were sick of cruise ships of Europeans arriving and not tipping a cent.

You ended up getting pretty crappy service and paying over the odds for the pleasure.

What would happen if you payed the bill - the 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I handed over €120 dollars for 2 crappy pizzas and in fairness, 2 incredible cocktails.

I would never pull an American server up on tips (it would be less of an insult to bang their wife/huband) , you just learn your lesson and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

I handed over €120 dollars for 2 crappy pizzas and in fairness, 2 incredible cocktails.

I would never pull an American server up on tips (it would be less of an insult to bang their wife/huband) , you just learn your lesson and move on.

$120 for two pizzas and two cocktails?
    Some tip there!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's a big blonde down in our chipper that loads of lads wouldn't mind tipping.

If my bill was $120 I certainly wouldn't feel the need to tip!

$2 an hour is the rate in the US for staff who get tips. This actually works out quite well in the US. Restaurants have no problem hiring extra staff because they pay them virtually nothing and the staff can actually make very good money if they are good at their job. For the customer it can be good too because the service is usually spot on and attentive - which is very often not the case here.

The system works quite well in the US but it is a nonsense to routinely tip when the person is getting a proper wage for the job, as should be the case in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Its because most that I know who work as barmen hate it and want to get out of it, Its not fun dealing with drunks all the time, rude customers, unsocial hours, ****e money and uncertain job security.

When ah were a lad, the great attraction of the profession was the "fiddle",and most barmen ( no bar women in those dark days)eventually became publicans.

Advertisement