Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is tipping not part of irish culture ?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Why do we not have a culture of tipping in Ireland ?
    In places like the states your expected to tip for everything like services in restaurants, cafes, hotels ect.

My uncle was in New York recently and didn't leave a tip. So the manager followed him out and aggressively demanded to know why he didn't tip.

I have a cousin who is a waiter in the states and earns $1000+ per week because of all the extra money he makes in tips.

So why don't we tip like the states.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Because people, in the main, are paid correct wages.

American service employers are scum of the earth.

Edited to say that I always tip in Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Must. Not. Reply. aggggghhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Because people are paid a higher basic salary here, since there is at least a minimum wage. In the U.S. waitresses etc. get paid less than the minimum salary due to the fact that tips will supplement their income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

We do have a tipping culture. Just not the same one as the States. We leave a tip when the service is a bit above average. Or sometimes just round up a bill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Not sure about you, mate, but I leave a tip in cafes and restaurants, taxis and hairdressers. And take away deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There are two minimum wages in the states. One for regular workers. Another one, much lower, for waiting staff.

Waiting staff in the US depend on tips to get them to a decent wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They have low wages in the states that make tips vital.

In my book, you're doing a job, getting paid got it, so what's the problem.
    If the money isn't enough, change jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Tipping can be an innuendo for riding.

As in "he's tipping your one these days".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There is a tipping culture here. Some people reward good service, others are . . well. . I won't say what I think of them. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I tip my hat

darced wrote: »

It actually started as a custom in England.

(oh crap, here I am again...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Minimum wage is the main answer.

Traditionally in the US there was no or a very low minimum wage, people that worked in service industry depended on tips to live. In Ireland this is not the case.

I like the tip culture of the US mainly because it results in you getting very good service. Tipping has crept in to Ireland in the last 10-15 years.. the only difference I see is that here staff feel entitled to the tips without offering good service.

Tipping can be an innuendo for riding.

As in "he's tipping your one these days".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tipping+the+Velvet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

OP, watch this, it explains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Op is unaware of the minimum wage lol, how is such a thing even possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I have a cousin who is a waiter in the states and earns $1000+ per week because of all the extra money he makes in tips.

He does, yeah. He'd have to make $5,000 sales each week to earn that in tips. Then tip out the foodrunner and bartender. Unless it's an extremely expensive restaurant, he's telling you porkie pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Only in America and Egypt do you have to pay Baksheesh to get service.

darced wrote: »

It's a worldwide thing actually, there are many cultures where tipping is part of the culture. In the Czech Republic for instance you are expected to round up the tab in a bar to approx the nearest note. "Keep the change" basically. It's also a nice gesture to buy the barman "a drink" when getting a round in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd hate for this country to go down that route. Employers, pay your staff and don't expect your customers to do so.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Only in America and Egypt do you have to pay Baksheesh to get service.

You've never been to hairdresser in Ireland then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

He does, yeah. He'd have to make $5,000 sales each week to earn that in tips. Then tip out the foodrunner and bartender. Unless it's an extremely expensive restaurant, he's telling you porkie pies.

Not impossible. I bartend in Canada and would make average of 800 a week in tips if there's not a big event in the arena beside us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Shenshen wrote: »
    Not sure about you, mate, but I leave a tip in cafes and restaurants, taxis and hairdressers. And take away deliveries.

Taxi drivers? :confused:

Madness, Ted.

MadsL wrote: »
    It's a worldwide thing actually, there are many cultures where tipping is part of the culture. In the Czech Republic for instance you are expected to round up the tab in a bar to approx the nearest note. "Keep the change" basically. It's also a nice gesture to buy the barman "a drink" when getting a round in the UK.

Yeah, a couple of Czech crowns. Not 20% of the bill.

And we tip in Ireland for a good job.

Breakfast, lunch of coffee: keep the change.

Taxi: rounded off.

Hairdressers/barbers: rounded off/fiver.

Barman: occasionally tell him to take one for himself. Definitely over Christmas.

Dinner: depends on the size of the group. Two people 5/10 EUR.

I'd say that's pretty standard for good service.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Not impossible. I bartend in Canada and would make average of 800 a week in tips if there's not a big event in the arena beside us.

For a bartender it's no problem. You're lashing out food and drinks nonstop. Different ballgame for a server.

Do-able, if you are an good waiter in a fine dining place.

3*3 covers a night average $200 check = $40 per table = $360 a night.

But as you point out fine dining involves tipping out the other staff, there are bussers etc. And if they have a sommelier that is going to slash your average check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

I round up taxi drivers. And tip table service. Sometimes barbers.

In general in ireland we tip good service. In the US the "double sales tax" is almost obligatory. Also bar people get tips but not workers in sandwich shops. Being behind a bar isn't enough you need to sell alcohol.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a couple of Czech crowns. Not 20% of the bill.

I wasn't aware we were discussing the amount.
    And we tip in Ireland for a good job.

So there is tipping in Ireland. Thanks for clarifying.

Advertisement