Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is tipping not part of irish culture ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm not tipping for bad service. They can sod off, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Tipping in the USA is stupid. You're expected to tip, regardless of the services, for ever little thing. If you don't tip than they see you as the bad person.

It's the same old excuse, they need tips to make a living wage. If Americans cared so much about their servers that why not demand that owners of food outlets/services outlets pay their staff a living wage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

FrStone wrote: »
    Well basically I'd be in no rush to deliver to you if you were renowned as someone who doesn't tip. If it comes cold, I wouldn't be too concerned. If it was ordered at a quiet time, you wouldn't notice it as it would come hot. If it was busy I'd push you back out a bit.

I don't own the fast food place, I only deliver so I'd prefer not to deliver to those who don't tip. I gave it up in the end as it was more hassle than it was worth (even for a job while in college).

And this is why I dont want tipping like in America. Tipping becomes the standard and you have to do it to get standard service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You forced front of house staff to pool tips with kitchen staff? I hope you're lying.

Not really uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

People waiting on customers have to do all the ass-kissing and then deal with the complaints and abuse if something is wrong, so to me they should be getting all the tips rather than people who don't deal with customers at all.

Makes perfect sense really. Why do people go to a restaurant... to eat?? **** me not!! as a chef, i'll hand you a plate of ****e, see how many tips you'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I tipped a bartender 50 euro on a 5 euro pint a few weeks ago, though, it was in my favourite bar that has decent prices for the location and incredible service.

:eek:

I'd say the bar staff in your area love you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I find tipping an insult. Like sorry I'm not getting paid enough. Can you pay me my wages too.
    I dread when I go to America I'll be broke 5% on your purchase I'm not prepared to pay

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IMO tipping has become quite common in Ireland for good service. In the USA, because waiting staff get paid so little in basic wages it is seen as essential to tip. Personally, I think tipping should be done for exceptional service, not basic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In China they don't tip at all, ever unless you are in a tourist area with lots of Americans.

True story:-
    I once left a tip in a restaurant in Guangzhou after a particularly tasty meal only for one of the staff to come running after me as I left the restaurant with a confused look on their face and handing me my tip back. My girlfriend at the time (Chinese) thought it was hilarious altogether.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

Also I think a lot of people tip for the service from whoever looked after them so don't really realise it might go elsewhere which again is unfair if tips go to other people.

You've obviously never worked in a restaurant:) you think its unfair for everyone to work 50hr weeks and still hold it together to give you a nice decent meal. If it wasn't for the kitchen porters you wouldn't have a clean plate...or fork or knife or glass etc. If it wasn't for the waitresses, you would not have been made to feel welcome. If it wasn't for the chefs.. you wouldnt have any food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

djerk wrote: »
    You've obviously never worked in a restaurant:) you think its unfair for everyone to work 50hr weeks and still hold it together to give you a nice decent meal. If it wasn't for the kitchen porters you wouldn't have a clean plate...or fork or knife or glass etc. If it wasn't for the waitresses, you would not have been made to feel welcome. If it wasn't for the chefs.. you wouldnt have any food!

I've worked in a restaurant for years when i was younger. The Waiters gave 20% of there tips for the runners(people who assist in bringing food over). The runners were on minimum wage the waiters got paid slightly more. Kitchen porters got paid slightly more than the witers(50c an hour). And of course the chefs got paid a lot more. I wouldnt neccessarily be in favour of the tips going to a chef, but that said I can understand why it woudl be pooled for them in some places.

Generally when I tip, I do it for the overall service/experience, as lot of that comes from the waiting staff I would hope that they get to keep teh majority of the Tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Got a limo from the airport to the hotel in Vegas last year. Gave him a 50% tip as there was about 7 of us there and he was complaining about it! knob.

I wouldn't mind tipping in pubs if we had servers bring down pints. Much better than queueing for 10 minutes and getting skipped and pushing your way through a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

djerk wrote: »

I tip for excellent, friendly and prompt service that helps to add to the overall dining experience. Clean plates, cutlery and decent food is a given. I wouldn't enter the restaurant otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I tip for excellent, friendly and prompt service that helps to add to the overall dining experience. Clean plates, cutlery and decent food is a given. I wouldn't enter the restaurant otherwise.

I would also expect a decent level of service as well. I wouldn't enter the restaurant otherwise.

I stopped going to one place because the first 2 times I went the service was really slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You forced front of house staff to pool tips with kitchen staff? I hope you're lying.
    I think front of house should have to pool with kitchen staff. After all the kitchen staff do the majority of the actual work, front of house generally just have to write stuff down correctly and not spill anything on guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

KungPao wrote: »
    I remember leaving a tip for a waiter in Brazil and the guy practically chased me out the door to give it back. He just didn't understand that it was a 'gift' for being really helpful and nice to deal with.
    Yeah, once tipped a girl in a small restaurant in a small town in Oz, and she promptly said "Are you sure? You could buy 2 beers with that!". She was the most exceptionally blunt waitress I ever met, to the point of outright rude and didn't have a notion about etiquette, but for pure comedy value she was worth her weight in gold! Food was fab though.
    kylith wrote: »
    I think front of house should have to pool with kitchen staff. After all the kitchen staff do the majority of the actual work, front of house generally just have to write stuff down correctly and not spill anything on guests.

I agree with pooling it all between all the staff, but disagree about front of house staff doing less work. Was a waitress for years and it's some training into dealing with a*seholes. I've been grabbed by the wrist, shouted at (about the quality of the food!), goosed and regularly treated like the personal property of the lovely folk that you have to keep smiling at, regardless. Then, depending on the personality of the Chef, you get it in the neck in the kitchen too! Also, a busy station takes a whole lot of thinking ahead - not compared to the kitchen staff, true, but it's not a walk in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

My uncle was in New York recently and didn't leave a tip. So the manager followed him out and aggressively demanded to know why he didn't tip.

This isn't right. Your uncle should have asked the manager why he doesn't pay his staff a living wage.

And tipping is very common in Ireland, in restaurants at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

MadsL wrote: »
    You've never been to hairdresser in Ireland then?

I don't tip hairdressers. It's not something everyone does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Tipping is common in Ireland but it is nearly reserved for restaurants and car-washes.

If tipping is mandatory, it is not tipping, is it?

A person has to be bad at their job, or just not care, for me not to give some few bob as a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely prefer Irelands tipping culture to USA's. In america it's just to hard to work out who to tip and how much. Leaving a car park in USA before, cost $10. Gave the attendant a $20 note and he gave me one $5 and five $1's. Are you supposed to tip car park attendants??
    Same with going to a hotel. You can carry a small back pack and someone will try and take it to your room. I always refuse cos it's completely unnessassary and I've no idea how much to tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Cienciano wrote: »
    Definitely prefer Irelands tipping culture to USA's. In america it's just to hard to work out who to tip and how much. Leaving a car park in USA before, cost $10. Gave the attendant a $20 note and he gave me one $5 and five $1's. Are you supposed to tip car park attendants??
    Same with going to a hotel. You can carry a small back pack and someone will try and take it to your room. I always refuse cos it's completely unnessassary and I've no idea how much to tip.

Divide everything by 5. That's how much of a tip you should leave if service is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Why do we not have a culture of tipping in Ireland ?
    In places like the states your expected to tip for everything like services in restaurants, cafes, hotels ect.

My uncle was in New York recently and didn't leave a tip. So the manager followed him out and aggressively demanded to know why he didn't tip.

I have a cousin who is a waiter in the states and earns $1000+ per week because of all the extra money he makes in tips.

So why don't we tip like the states.

The minimum wage in ireland for an adult worker is €8.65 per hour.

The minimum wage for a tipped employee in Delaware is $2.23 per hour.

That is why Americans tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

darced wrote: »
    Exactly,the fact the person I tipped may not actually get to keep the money makes me think twice about tipping at all.

Where the employer advertises a price and then keeps the tip on top they are guilty of misrepresentation of the price. Talk to your lawyer, or to the relevant govt dept's inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

FrStone wrote: »
    Well basically I'd be in no rush to deliver to you if you were renowned as someone who doesn't tip. If it comes cold, I wouldn't be too concerned. If it was ordered at a quiet time, you wouldn't notice it as it would come hot. If it was
    I wouldn't give someone with your attitude to tipping a job cleaning toilets.
    busy I'd push you back out a bit.

I don't own the fast food place, I only deliver so I'd prefer not to deliver to those who don't tip. I gave it up in the end as it was more hassle than it was worth (even for a job while in college).
    People on the receiving end of tips need to understand that a tip is gratuitous, not a legal obligation. Be grateful for the tips you get, not resentful of those who don't tip. By all means go above and beyond the call of duty next time you serve the person who gave the generous tip. You have no right to penalise those who don't tip.
    In the interests of my business I wouldn't give someone with your attitude to tipping a job cleaning toilets.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

feargale wrote: »
    People on the receiving end of tips need to understand that a tip is gratuitous, not a legal obligation. Be grateful for the tips you get, not resentful of those who don't tip. By all means go above and beyond the call of duty next time you serve the person who gave the generous tip. You have no right to penalise those who don't tip.
    In the interests of my business I wouldn't give someone with your attitude to tipping a job cleaning toilets.

To be fair, when delivering food if you're going to go above and beyond for one, you're inadvertently going to penalise another.

If a delivery driver puts a good tipper's order to front of the queue when they set out, the person who they've bumped down the list to help out the generous tipper is penalised. Chances are the person who doesn't tip won't notice any difference, but the tipper will get their food that bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MadsL wrote: »
    It's kind of a win for customers too...

How much is a pint these days? 4-5 Euro? Cheaper in the US, even when tipping a dollar per pint $3+1 to $4+1 would be average.

Not in New York it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Triboro wrote: »
    Most American bars give a free drink after every 2-3 drinks so it kinda balances out with the tipping.
    I have lived there for 2 years on and off, have been on 2 road trips across the states east west, one north south, and have never seen that!
    Where were you drinking, I need to go there!

Yep. It's called a "buy back", or at least it used to be.

Happened more in the old days, than it does now.

First time I was in the US, I was very surprised at how much free booze we got on nights out.

*edit* I see this has already been explained. Dayum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can't understand this tipping culture at all.
    You pay the price you are charged and should pay nothing more unless you get exceptional service.
    You don't tip the postman for delivering your post or the milkman for delivering your milk so why tip someone for delivering your food?

Advertisement