Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is tipping not part of irish culture ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

feargale wrote: »
    People on the receiving end of tips need to understand that a tip is gratuitous, not a legal obligation. Be grateful for the tips you get, not resentful of those who don't tip.

I'm not resentful of those who choose not to tip, I'm just trying my best to ensure non tippers don't put another order in for delivery again. If someone doesn't tip, I generally break even on the delivery out to them, so as you can see I do my best to get that person to go elsewhere or to actually come and collect it themselves.
    You have no right to penalise those who don't tip.

That's for me to decide. Next time your passing fast food outlets, look around and see if they have a sign up looking for drivers. Drivers are very difficult to get so if someone wants me to drive for them, it will be done on my terms.

Also why would one tip if they don't receive a better service than those who don't. Not discriminating leads to the free rider problem.

In the interests of my business I wouldn't give someone with your attitude to tipping a job cleaning toilets.

That's well and good, but thankfully I've no interest in cleaning toilets anyway.

The whole problem would be alleviated if tipping became like it is in the US where you are pretty much obligated to tip, or if no one tipped at all and jobs like doing deliveries were paid properly. This half and half option leads to no one really benefiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Got a take away deliver tonight. The total was 17.50, paid 20 and your wan didn't have change spent ages looking for change probably hoping I'd say keep it, got €2 back and she said she'd be back with .50. Had to say keep it.
    Hate people like that. They should know if your bill is 17.50 you will pay the correct amount €18 €20 or €50. So have 2.50 and €30 for the 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why do we not have a culture of tipping in Ireland ?
    In places like the states your expected to tip for everything like services in restaurants, cafes, hotels ect.

My uncle was in New York recently and didn't leave a tip. So the manager followed him out and aggressively demanded to know why he didn't tip.

I have a cousin who is a waiter in the states and earns $1000+ per week because of all the extra money he makes in tips.

So why don't we tip like the states.

Because it's complete bollox.
    If you have any other questions, shoot me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pay for my taxi with Hailo
    Pay for my take away with just eat app

Settle up the card when I get paid. I know I can add a tip with Hailo but they take 12% of that which is a bit mean.

One day few enough of us will pay cash. It cuts out the fumbling in the dark for aaaaaaages hoping I'll tell them to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

FrStone wrote: »
    I'm not resentful of those who choose not to tip, I'm just trying my best to ensure non tippers don't put another order in for delivery again. If someone doesn't tip, I generally break even on the delivery out to them, so as you can see I do my best to get that person to go elsewhere or to actually come and collect it themselves.
    What an idiotic attitude. You're living in Ireland. You get paid by your employer. Just because you deliver something doesn't mean you're entitled to a tip. Cop the f*ck on.

That's for me to decide. Next time your passing fast food outlets, look around and see if they have a sign up looking for drivers. Drivers are very difficult to get so if someone wants me to drive for them, it will be done on my terms.
    It's for your employer to decide.

The whole problem would be alleviated if tipping became like it is in the US where you are pretty much obligated to tip, or if no one tipped at all and jobs like doing deliveries were paid properly. This half and half option leads to no one really benefiting.
    There is no problem here. There is only a problem when people like you start expecting tips as the norm. The whole idea of tipping is completely unnecessary here. We have minimum wage which is above what it is in other countries. It's not up to the customer to pay your wages. I used to work in IT support for years. When I fixed someones PC I didn't get a tip, I didn't expect one either. But just because you deliver fast food means you get a tip?! Either find a better paying job or be grateful for the one you have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Maybe it's different where I go in Dublin, but it seems like tipping *is* part of the culture here.

The two barber shops I've been too both had out tip jars of some sort and people regularly gave. Many of the restaurants I go to (outside of fast food) frequently have a tip jar or whatever. I'm pretty sure I've paid with a credit card before and it had a separate line so I could add a tip. Eddie Rockets has some dish sitting next to the register for tips.

Anyway, I love pizza...and I order it a lot. I guess delivery driver turn-over is pretty high in Dublin, but even still, I recognize almost all of the pizza guys that deliver to me. I always tip.

It's like when you pay extra when booking your flight so you can pick the nicer seats and ensure you get to sit with your significant other. You pay a little extra and you get a little more.

omen80 wrote: »
    What an idiotic attitude. You're living in Ireland. You get paid by your employer. Just because you deliver something doesn't mean you're entitled to a tip. Cop the f*ck on.

There is no problem here. There is only a problem when people like you start expecting tips as the norm. The whole idea of tipping is completely unnecessary here. We have minimum wage which is above what it is in other countries. It's not up to the customer to pay your wages. I used to work in IT support for years. When I fixed someones PC I didn't get a tip, I didn't expect one either. But just because you deliver fast food means you get a tip?! Either find a better paying job or be grateful for the one you have.

I work in IT too - and if I have 8 different 'URGENT' requests, it's up to me to decide which order I take them. Admittedly, our 'customers' are other departments within the company, but I'll absolutely give preferential treatment within the confines of the priority assigned to the tickets.

It seems like common sense. When the guy who is a dick comes and says, 'FIX THIS THING FOR ME NOW' - sure, it's my job, so I'll fix it. but if I have five other people saying the same thing, well, I'll get around to helping him last.

UCDVet wrote: »
    I work in IT too - and if I have 8 different 'URGENT' requests, it's up to me to decide which order I take them. Admittedly, our 'customers' are other departments within the company, but I'll absolutely give preferential treatment within the confines of the priority assigned to the tickets.

It seems like common sense. When the guy who is a dick comes and says, 'FIX THIS THING FOR ME NOW' - sure, it's my job, so I'll fix it. but if I have five other people saying the same thing, well, I'll get around to helping him last.

That's fair enough in that situation. But someone who doesn't tip isn't the same as the guy who is the dick in your example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

That is kinda different. You're setting your order based on the customers attitude towards you not out of an exception of which customer will tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

I've a mate who runs a chipper. One night she was short a driver and decided to do deliveries herself. She said she couldn't believe the amount she made in tips - way more than she gets paid as manager. I swear she seriously considered packing it in and being a delivery driver herself!

• Advertisement

It's like when you pay extra when booking your flight so you can pick the nicer seats and ensure you get to sit with your significant other. You pay a little extra and you get a little more.

It's not

Tipping is a reward for above standard service not an optional extra to ensure above standard service.

That's fair enough in that situation. But someone who doesn't tip isn't the same as the guy who is the dick in your example.

It's kind of the same thing.

I have four orders to deliver - A, B, C and D. I know A never tips, B always tips and I don't know anything about C and D. Now, it'll depend on where they are located on the map - I'd still want an efficient route - but I'm going to TRY and get to B first. I know B, he's a regular, he orders the same thing, he recognizes me, and he always gives a nice tip.

Guy A - nothing wrong with Guy A. He orders a lot, but he never tips. I'm not going to spit in his food or anything, he doesn't *have* to tip me. But I also don't have to go out of my way to try and get his food to him first. I'll probably go to him last, unless it's impractical not to.

I want to keep guy B happy, because he takes care of me.
    Person C and D - I don't recognize them, so I dunno what to think. I'm neutral towards them. If I do get a tip, I'll remember them for next time.

Jester252 wrote: »
    It's not

Tipping is a reward for above standard service not an optional extra to ensure above standard service.

That might be YOUR definition of what tipping is. But it's not the definition you'd find in a dictionary (or at least, not the only definition you'd find). And you're free to tip or not tip as you see fit.

Still, it's naive to think there isn't a symbiotic relationship between customers and service providers. If you sit around and wait for 'above standard service', you may never get it. And, on the flip side, if someone like me gives a tip the first time, maybe I *won't* get preferential treatment. And that's fine. Both come with risks.

I can say, with 100% confidence and sincerity, there are situations where giving a tip for an initial, perfectly average, service results in better service. For me, when it comes to certain things, I'm happy to take that gamble.

It's kind of the same thing.

I have four orders to deliver - A, B, C and D. I know A never tips, B always tips and I don't know anything about C and D. Now, it'll depend on where they are located on the map - I'd still want an efficient route - but I'm going to TRY and get to B first. I know B, he's a regular, he orders the same thing, he recognizes me, and he always gives a nice tip.

Guy A - nothing wrong with Guy A. He orders a lot, but he never tips. I'm not going to spit in his food or anything, he doesn't *have* to tip me. But I also don't have to go out of my way to try and get his food to him first. I'll probably go to him last, unless it's impractical not to.

I want to keep guy B happy, because he takes care of me.
    Person C and D - I don't recognize them, so I dunno what to think. I'm neutral towards them. If I do get a tip, I'll remember them for next time.

Nope, it's not the same thing. And your last post is a great example of the bad attitude when you feel you are entitled to a tip.

Nope, it's not the same thing. And your last post is a great example of the problems when you feel you are entitled to a tip.

1.) Nobody is entitled to a tip. I don't feel that way and I haven't made that claim.
    2.) It is the same. My reasons for liking or disliking people are my own....but I don't think they're much different than everyone else's. If I don't know you, you're neutral to me. If you do something nice - I like you a little more. If you do something mean - I dislike you a little more. If you're attractive a female, well, I'm sorry, but I like a little more.

So, whether I dislike someone at work because they talk too much in meetings or don't do the work they are meant to, or because they make me wait for 4 minutes before they answer their door, it's all the same to me. And if someone gives me a tip, well, I'm sorry, I like money....so I like them a bit more.

When I have a choice in deciding, I'm going to give preferential treatment to those that I like. Whether it be because they're attractive, friendly, or because they tip. Depending on my job and the situation I might not have any control, or I might have a lot. But I'll try to take care of people I like and I'll do the minimum required for people I dislike.

It was true when I was a paperboy. Most people - I didn't know, I delivered their paper. Whatever. Some people were extra nice, and I would make extra sure they got their paper all they way to their door - on an extra windy day I'd even stick it in their door or something. A few people, I didn't like, for whatever reason. I toss their paper on their lawn and called it a day. I did my job, but within the limits of my job, I treated people how I felt they deserved to be treated.

I've worked a lot of jobs, and it's never really any different. Some jobs give me more or less freedom, but it's only human nature. I'm always going to prefer doing things for people I like.

That is kinda different. You're setting your order based on the customers attitude towards you not out of an exception of which customer will tip.

Attitude is expressed in many ways.

Someone who kindly thanks me and goes out of their way to be friendly, well, they're expressing a nice attitude. I'll appreciate that, and I'll prefer them.

Someone who kindly thanks me *with a tip* is also expressing a nice attitude. I'll appreciate that, and I'll prefer them.

To be clear - I don't expect a tip. I'm not entitled to a tip. But if someone chooses to give me a tip, I'll appreciate the attitude that they are expressing with that tip. I'll prefer them. If someone doesn't tip, I don't think any less of them for it. I'm still happy to do my job, after all, I'm being paid. I'll deliver the pizza, and I'll do it happily.

But if I have two deliveries to make and nobody has dictated the order, of course, I'm going to go to the guy who tips first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Nope, it's not the same thing. And your last post is a great example of the bad attitude when you feel you are entitled to a tip.

I don't think you'll find many in Ireland that feel entitled to a tip. They may treat people who tip them better but that's it. North America is a different story.

Take the delivery driver example. It might help not to look at it as a tip, even the person tipping looks at it usually as paying forward for slightly special treatment. The driver is basically a delivery company and there's a minimum delivery fee (for most takeouts) which will see your goods arrive in a reasonable time but some people pay extra and get faster shipping. Seems fair to me. Why should they guy paying an extra few bucks quid (note to self: you're still Irish) not get faster delivery?

That might be YOUR definition of what tipping is. But it's not the definition you'd find in a dictionary (or at least, not the only definition you'd find). And you're free to tip or not tip as you see fit.

Tipping has and always will be defined as a reward for a service beyond the expectation.

You need a better dictionary.
    Still, it's naive to think there isn't a symbiotic relationship between customers and service providers. If you sit around and wait for 'above standard service', you may never get it. And, on the flip side, if someone like me gives a tip the first time, maybe I *won't* get preferential treatment. And that's fine. Both come with risks.

No they both don't come with risks.

If you are waiting for the above average service, you still get the average services.

If you tip on an average service your gambling on the hope for a excellent service in the future. Also you've set a groundwork that you'll tip of an average service.
    I can say, with 100% confidence and sincerity, there are situations where giving a tip for an initial, perfectly average, service results in better service. For me, when it comes to certain things, I'm happy to take that gamble.

I can say, with 100% confidence and sincerity, there are situations where giving a tip for an initial, perfectly average, service results in the same service. For me, when it comes to certain things, I'm not happy to take that gamble.

Attitude is expressed in many ways.

Someone who kindly thanks me and goes out of their way to be friendly, well, they're expressing a nice attitude. I'll appreciate that, and I'll prefer them.

Someone who kindly thanks me *with a tip* is also expressing a nice attitude. I'll appreciate that, and I'll prefer them.

To be clear - I don't expect a tip. I'm not entitled to a tip. But if someone chooses to give me a tip, I'll appreciate the attitude that they are expressing with that tip. I'll prefer them. If someone doesn't tip, I don't think any less of them for it. I'm still happy to do my job, after all, I'm being paid. I'll deliver the pizza, and I'll do it happily.

But if I have two deliveries to make and nobody has dictated the order, of course, I'm going to go to the guy who tips first.

That is completely different to your other post, you where equating a non tipper to an a$$hole. Also the fact in deciding the order you knew the attitude of the people involved. You don't know who is going to tip?

Also as a deliver person you would lose more money than you make it tips plaining your root based on who might tip.

Most deliver people plan their stops in order to achieve the least driving time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

a

• Advertisement

You can tell me to cop on all you like, it doesn't change the fact that I will continue to serve those who tip before those who don't. Most drivers will do the same. People will try and be rational.

First off most delivery drivers are not employees they are self employed and provide a service to the takeaway. The only exception to this would be if you have a company car etc. However in most places you drive your own car and have to cover petrol, wear and tear, insurance etc. There is no minimum wage if you are not an employee. You can earn significantly above minimum wage but this is purely on the basis that you get tips. In most delivery service jobs if you don't get tips you will probably earn enough to cover your expenses.

Thankfully around 80% do tip.

Seecondly, the only person it is up to to decide is me. I've delivered for quite a few takeaways and they have always been told that it's my way of the high way.
    Either find a better paying job or be grateful for the one you have.

Nobody does takeaway deliveries full time it is just something on the side as the money isn't in it. I've given it up a few years ago, however I still get calls asking will I cover if they are stuck. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, however it is always on my terms.

here is no minimum wage if you are not an employee. You can earn significantly above minimum wage but this is purely on the basis that you get tips. In most delivery service jobs if you don't get tips you will probably earn enough to cover your expenses.

Thankfully around 80% do tip.

If they charge say 1.50 to 2 euro delivery fee which is pretty standard does the driver get that?

I always thought the takeaway gets the food money and the driver gets the delivery money.

Am I wrong? Just a handful of deliveries per hour would easily get you to minimum wage

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If they charge say 1.50 to 2 euro delivery fee which is pretty standard does the driver get that?

I always thought the takeaway gets the food money and the driver gets the delivery money.

Am I wrong? Just a handful of deliveries per hour would easily get you to minimum wage

In Cork generally delivery would be free where. What usually happens is you get paid a flat rate of €50 for the night (7 hours), in a night you might deliver 30 deliveries and you get paid another €1 per delivery by the takeaway.

You pay for your own petrol and you provide your own car, I also pay my insurance company a bit extra to make sure I'm covered (most don't..). Your responsible to pay your own tax too.

So as you can see if you didn't get paid any tips you definitely wouldn't reach minimum wage. However, seeing as most tip it can be worth your while.

I've read previously on boards about different people who do the deliver and some would have a lower flat rate but may work in a busier takeaway etc. Some trip could take me twenty minutes return.

In essence the driver buys your order from the takeaway and then charges you for it.

Tipping has and always will be defined as a reward for a service beyond the expectation.

You need a better dictionary.

Really?

define: tip
    noun
    noun: tip; plural noun: tips
    a sum of money given to someone as a reward for a service.

That's from Google. You can go to Google and type 'define: tip' and see the definition provided. It says it is a 'reward for a service'. It says nothing about the quality of the service. It could be poor service or great service or average service. If you give someone money as a reward for that level of service it is A TIP.

Dictionary.com says:
    a small present of money given directly to someone for performing a service or menial task; gratuity:

No mention of the quality or level of service in relation to expectations. A tip is simply money given for performing a service or menial task.

Dictionary.Cambridge.org says:
    tip noun [C] (PAYMENT)

a small amount of money given to someone who has provided you with a service, in addition to the official payment and for their personal use:

Again, no mention of the level of service. Only that a service was provided and that the payment is in addition to the official payment and for their personal use.

collinsdictionary.com says:
    noun

a payment given for services in excess of the standard charge; gratuity

Again, no mention of the level of service received. ONLY that the service was provided and that the payment is in excess of the standard charge.

Please, provide an example of a better dictionary than the sources I've listed.....

Greedy Dublin takeaways charging me delivery fees when the Corkonians get it free :mad:

That is completely different to your other post, you where equating a non tipper to an a$$hole. Also the fact in deciding the order you knew the attitude of the people involved. You don't know who is going to tip?

Also as a deliver person you would lose more money than you make it tips plaining your root based on who might tip.

Most deliver people plan their stops in order to achieve the least driving time.

I'm not equating a non-tipper to an a$$hole. I'm saying I prefer people that I prefer and tipping probably means I'll prefer you.

I've also said that, I'll give preferential treatment only to the degree that it makes sense. If I have two deliveries - ignoring very extreme traffic patterns, it will take just as long to go 'A - B' as it will 'B - A'. The driving time would be the same, whether person A gets their pizza first or person B does, is entirely up to me. If I have three and it makes sense to go A - B - C, I could often just as easily go C - B - A without adding time or distance - so again, deciding A over C is up to me. And sure, maybe lots of times I won't do anything differently, but sometimes I will.

And no, I'm not psychic. I don't know who will tip. But I don't need to. It's enough to work on averages. If, on average, 20% of houses tip me and I get an order from a new house, I can estimate a 20% chance of receiving a tip. If I know from past experience that the house at 118 Leeson Street has tipped me every single time I've delivered them - well, I can estimate something like a 95% of getting a tip from them again - as well as having a desire to help them out.

So, given the choice, I'm going to try and get the pizza to 118 Leeson Street first. Then, I'll go to the new house. If the new house tips me, well, they'll move up on my list of customers. If they don't, they won't.

We're using a fictitious example of delivering pizzas - but it's just as true in a crowded bar, only without concern for traffic patterns and petrol costs. If I'm making drinks and I've got seven customers all up to the bar, who am I going to serve first? If one of them is a regular who always tips me, I'm going to serve him or her first. Because, why wouldn't I? It's not like everyone is in a single file line. Sure, I'll get around to everyone, and I'll do my job like I'm meant to....nobody has to tip me. But why wouldn't I look out for the guy who is looking out for me?

Particularly in a crowded bar where I might not even know what order those customers arrived in. At that point, I'm left to either randomly select a customer *or* go to the guy I know and like first. Of course I'm going with the regular who tips. Followed by the regulars I like, followed by people I don't know, followed by regulars I dislike.

In Cork generally delivery would be free where. What usually happens is you get paid a flat rate of €50 for the night (7 hours), in a night you might deliver 30 deliveries and you get paid another €1 per delivery by the takeaway.

You pay for your own petrol and you provide your own car, I also pay my insurance company a bit extra to make sure I'm covered (most don't..). Your responsible to pay your own tax too.

So as you can see if you didn't get paid any tips you definitely wouldn't reach minimum wage. However, seeing as most tip it can be worth your while.

I've read previously on boards about different people who do the deliver and some would have a lower flat rate but may work in a busier takeaway etc. Some trip could take me twenty minutes return.

In essence the driver buys your order from the takeaway and then charges you for it.

Question for you, if you don't mind....

If you don't get any tips and end up below the minimum wage for a night/week/pay period - does the employer have a legal obligation to pay you so you hit the minimum wage? Or do you just get whatever you get.

(I'm guessing this doesn't happen very often / ever? But I was curious)

If you don't get any tips and end up below the minimum wage for a night/week/pay period - does the employer have a legal obligation to pay you so you hit the minimum wage? Or do you just get whatever you get.

It had happened once, you get what you get. Your not really an employee so there is no legal obligation to increase it.

Also like the takeaway doesn't know how much you spent on petrol or how much tips you earned.

Most takeaway drivers are considered self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Supposing a house orders 5 pizzas.

You arrive to the house, it's a big house party of UCC students. They take the pizzas and slam the door on you without paying. House full of lads and you're on your own so not a whole lot you can do.

Will the owner charge the driver for them? Even if the driver tells the truth the owner would say not my problem, they are probably your buddies and you must pay?

Well first thing you'd do is call the police.

And after that presumably the driver has to cover the loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Who decided that the person delivering was self employed rather than an employee ?

If as a student and deliveries were your only source of income, delivering for only one take away, whose owner told you who to deliver to.......that makes you an employee in my eyes.

In slower periods it may have been worth more to you as an employee.
    Guessing it was the take away owner's choice which suited him\her

Advertisement