Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is tipping not part of irish culture ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Birneybau wrote: »
    Because people, in the main, are paid correct wages.

American service employers are scum of the earth.

Edited to say that I always tip in Ireland anyway.

Its a win-win for service employers in america,say youre a bar owner,you pay your staff minimum wage and you have your customers in there spending,making you a profit and paying your staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I round up taxi drivers. And tip table service. Sometimes barbers.

In general in ireland we tip good service. In the US the "double sales tax" is almost obligatory. Also bar people get tips but not workers in sandwich shops. Being behind a bar isn't enough you need to sell alcohol.

Yet there is almost always a tip jar out in Starbucks and Subway.

Its a win-win for service employers in america,say youre a bar owner,you pay your staff minimum wage and you have your customers in there spending,making you a profit and paying your staff too.

It's kind of a win for customers too...

How much is a pint these days? 4-5 Euro? Cheaper in the US, even when tipping a dollar per pint $3+1 to $4+1 would be average.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

I would tip Waiting staff, barbers, taxis, fast food deliverers.

I generally wouldnt tip barmen unless it was a flash place like the Marker and he/she just made me a cocktail and cut up some fruit to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yeah, that's why their margins are so poor in the US, less than 2% on average, and 60% of new start ups fail within three years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

MadsL wrote: »

How much is a pint these days? 4-5 Euro? Cheaper in the US, even when tipping a dollar per pint $3+1 to $4+1 would be average.

Depends on the establishment,I know it was pricey in Canada much the same as here,but ordering a bottle and the bartender literally turning around to a fridge,grabbing it and opening it for you and its a dollar every time....fcuk that,it does add up at the end of the night

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I would tip Waiting staff, barbers, taxis, fast food deliverers.

I only tip fast food deliverers if the delivery is earlier than anticipated or if I'm paying by cash and I'm rounding.

I'd hate us to go down the expecting a tip route. I think tipping is a nice way to reward good service or just to say thanks every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

And the service in a US bar tends to be very good. They are motivated to serve you and ensure you have a good time.
    Some irish barmen make it seem like they are doing you a favour by serving you.

Yeah, that's why their margins are so poor in the US, less than 2% on average, and 60% of new start ups fail within three years.

It's also a reason for the craft beer movement, no $100k liquor licence needed and taxes have been slashed on nano-brewery production levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Id only ever tip in a restaurant, generously if the service is exceptional.

Id never tip a barman or staff in Starbucks/sandwich shops etc. I just dont think there is enough of a service interaction to justify paying extra.

And the service in a US bar tends to be very good. They are motivated to serve you and ensure you have a good time.

Yeah, dumping your change into a puddle of spilt beer on the bar is not really a motivator for me to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

If I'm eating out and everything is okay, I tend not to tip. I expect everything to be okay and I've already paid for the food and service so why should I have to pay any more.

Now, if it's better than okay or if the waiting staff have been excellent, they'll get 20% at least.

Quite simply, you'll get a tip if you earn it, regardless of what country I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Yiikes

People tipping in cafes and restaurants isnt that uncommon here. Although I would laugh if a receipt came with preworked out tips @19%, 21% and 23% at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Doesn't mean anyone is using it! I've yet to see anyone tipping in Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Its because most that I know who work as barmen hate it and want to get out of it, Its not fun dealing with drunks all the time, rude customers, unsocial hours, ****e money and uncertain job security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I always tip :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Shenshen wrote: »
    And take away deliveries.

Not to the one's who take an age to find my change in the hope that I'll say keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

She's the Fastest 4/1 - 3:30 at Aintree

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Not to the one's who take an age to find my change in the hope that I'll say keep it.

Can't say I get those much - most of them already have the change ready, anticipating getting paid with a 20 or a 50. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Birneybau wrote: »
    Because people, in the main, are paid correct wages.

American service employers are scum of the earth.

Edited to say that I always tip in Ireland anyway.

I was going to post very similar.
    Tipping and the ''service'' culture in the States is very much aimed at allowing staff to supplement their low pay aswell as being a source of tax evasion.
    It allows "service" providers to hire staff at pitiful wages in the expectation of a cultural subsidy.

Ireland doesn't have such an extensive tipping culture.
    The assumption here is that if one order's a service at an agreed upon price, that the expected service will be delivered without any need for additional remuneration. i.e pay whats displayed.

That said, I do generally tip when I'm out and in the case of good service will tip quite well.
    But that said....
    The expectation of a tip that is creeping in across the board is quite irksome!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

Some places have mandatory "service charges" on top of their bills, which the workers don't see anything from in a lot of cases, and then ALSO have a tip jar at the cash register.

That I can't fathom, I've already paid for the service once already but in all likelihood you won't give it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

It's not common. Hence the jar. Also the American empire can defend itself. You don't have to represent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Most American bars give a free drink after every 2-3 drinks so it kinda balances out with the tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I never tip - ever!

If employees are not paid enough-get a different job, simple as.

Am I a mean git - possibly?

I do not get the tipping hierarcy we have - tip a wattress of course, tip the person on the checkout at tescos - no chance! Tip a taxi driver yes, tip the guy that just re-tiled you roof - yeah right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Triboro wrote: »
    Most American bars give a free drink after every 2-3 drinks so it kinda balances out with the tipping.

:confused:........................:p

Emigrates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Triboro wrote: »

I have lived there for 2 years on and off, have been on 2 road trips across the states east west, one north south, and have never seen that!
    Where were you drinking, I need to go there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A tip here is a gratuity, an expression of largese. In the states, you are often subsidizing wages that should be paid by employers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

Probably because they earn three times as much here in their salary. No need to supplement. In the US anyway they are earning $2.60 an hour so tips are their wages. Most bartenders and waitresses would earn $1000 per week in tips so I doubt it had to be an expensive restaurant his cousin worked in. It's great for employers having such a low overhead (lower wages thereforelower taxes) relying on others to pay their wages!!

Edited to add that I notice tipping is becoming popular here.

Advertisement