Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is tipping not part of irish culture ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why do we not have a culture of tipping in Ireland?
    In places like the states your expected to tip for everything like services in restaurants, cafes, hotels ect....

We do. Except its called bribery and corruption here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I nearly always tip approx 10% in a restaurant, if the service has been good. If it's been bad, or the restaurant tacks on a service charge then forget it. You can say "but it's the restaurant that decides the service charge, not the waiter" and I will nod, agree and carry on with the way I do it.

I will tip a lounge girl/boy a couple of euro n the first round.

Taxi drivers might get the round up to the nearest euro

Everyone else can get fucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

I have lived there for 2 years on and off, have been on 2 road trips across the states east west, one north south, and have never seen that!
    Where were you drinking, I need to go there!

Lived there for 16 years and that was the norm !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Triboro wrote: »
    Lived there for 16 years and that was the norm !

Where ? Genuinely interested, have never seen that and God knows I drank in my fair share of pubs over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Triboro wrote: »
    Most American bars give a free drink after every 2-3 drinks so it kinda balances out with the tipping.

Works both ways then as customers start to expect freebies..... in the US that is.

I worked bar there, very often you ran a tab for regulars and the norm would be to miss putting a drink or two on it along the way. Sometimes customers would notice and tip accordingly, sometimes not if they had a few or were dicks.

I remember an Irish person who would have had quite a few freebies from me and I randomly bumped into him in a bar a few years later at home. He was half-drunk and started telling his mates how I never gave him any free drink when in the US. I just laughed at him.

Working bar in the US is a million times better than Ireland. Even though you rely on tips, you still pull in far more money than the usual just above or on minimun wage here. Also had to deal with far less drunken idiots, Bar culture in the US was far more sociable on the whole.

On the wage thing, I think my bi-weekly wages worked out at $10 take home after tax was deducted. Then supplemented by between $1200-2000 tips over the same period.

Oh yeah even though I benefited from it, I find the US tipping culture weird. Bottle of Bud please, turn to fridge, get bottle, open, put on bar, Tip. Mad.Still comply when I am there tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Where ? Genuinely interested, have never seen that and God knows I drank in my fair share of pubs over there.

Heard about it and had it said to me but like you never experienced it!!! Only place i got free drinks was vegas and infairness could of bought a feckin brewery for what i lost

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

MadsL wrote: »
    Cheaper in the US, even when tipping a dollar per pint

Everything is cheaper in US. At least there you are left with something to Tip with...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I remember leaving a tip for a waiter in Brazil and the guy practically chased me out the door to give it back. He just didn't understand that it was a 'gift' for being really helpful and nice to deal with.

I think there it's actually insulting to give a tip, they probably feel like you're just flashing the cash or have pity for them.

Here I may give a tip for fast delivered food, a taxi driver who's nice and gets you there fast, and that's it really.

I certainly wouldnt give a tip as matter of habit. LOL at buying a barman a drink...maybe in the old days when a drink was 1 and tuppence, but certainly not at today's prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Buybacks are dying off...way to hard to control for the bar management and control is becoming a bigger issue - overpouring and giving away drinks are now being spotted by camera technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

New york !
    You were there 2 years and never got a buyback in all those pubs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

If you were a 'regular' in some bars, I would be shocked if you didn't get a few freebie along the way.

Likewise if you spent a substantial amout in an establishment or even just had a big conversation with the bartender, would be surprised you didnt get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I generally don't tip, it's up to the employer to pay their staffs wages, not the customers. You're being charged for the service, I see no need whatsoever to pay twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Yeah I'm here in NYC on holiday at the moment. Tip a dollar a drink, 20% restaurant. The drinks are extremely strong, like nearly hard to drink so it's definitely worth it.
    Got my first buy back last night aswell which was great. Only place I've sat talking to the bar staff so maybe that's why I got the buyback? Not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Buybacks are still big in NY anyway. I got more drink bought to me on a Monday night in Manhattan than I got in my local in twenty years. I made damn sure to tell them that too. :P

In fact, my first ever drink in a bar in NY was on the house, I'm famous everywhere I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

WellThen? wrote: »
    Yeah I'm here in NYC on holiday at the moment. Tip a dollar a drink, 20% restaurant. The drinks are extremely strong, like nearly hard to drink so it's definitely worth it.
    Got my first buy back last night aswell which was great. Only place I've sat talking to the bar staff so maybe that's why I got the buyback? Not sure...
    If I ever go to the US, that ****e would put me off going to restaurants and bars. Giving a bloke a dollar for pouring a drink? Go on outta that.

I think with me being so stingy, I'd end up getting buses, eating in McDonald's, and buying cans to drink in my hotel room.

Also, why tip a guy to get you a drink, but not the poor soul working in McD's...harder job.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

KungPao wrote: »
    If I ever go to the US, that ****e would put me off going to restaurants and bars. Giving a bloke a dollar for pouring a drink? Go on outta that.

I think with me being so stingy, I'd end up getting buses, eating in McDonald's, and buying cans to drink in my hotel room.

Also, why tip a guy to get you a drink, but not the poor soul working in McD's...harder job.

Yeah that's what I thought aswell! But apparently 10% in a restaurant is if your not too happy, and 20% is for decent service. That's just how they do it. And if you don't tip the barman you'll have trouble getting served again.

This is what I was told now, being here though, it does seem to be the way of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Macker2001

KungPao wrote: »

Because the guy in McDonald's gets paid more!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I really dont understand tipping a delivery driver, if there was no fee then maybe but Ive seen it come up on sites with more US users and their reasoning was very weak.

Also dont understand why some jobs you tip while other similar jobs you dont. Just pay the people a wage instead of relying on glorified begging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

We pay minimum wage so you can actually live off a minimum wage paying job whereas in America it is necessary to collect tips to supplement your income.

If I'm in a taxi and the fare is like €9.30 or whatever I'd give €10 just to save the hassle of waiting, that's as far as I'd go when it comes to tipping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I really dont understand tipping a delivery driver, if there was no fee then maybe but Ive seen it come up on sites with more US users and their reasoning was very weak.

Also dont understand why some jobs you tip while other similar jobs you dont. Just pay the people a wage instead of relying on glorified begging.

When I order food and they say "That'll be 40 minutes." but then food arrives in 20, I'll give a few quid extra as a thanks for the good service. I wouldn't tip if the food was just on time though, they're being paid to do a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I hate tipping culture.

In America you buy a beer for 5 dollars which usually turns out to be more like 8!!

FFS...get the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've worked part-time in a resturant and it's pretty demoralizing the way Irish people don't tip. €8.65 is a fair wage but you'd often get a group who would ask you for the sun, moon and stars and despite being incredibly polite and helpful wouldn't leave a penny on the table.

Also, it's a shít job by nature with abuse often coming from three or four different sources in one evening and your run off your feet for your whole shift so I understand why a lot of Irish people avoid jobs like that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Firstly, most things in Ireland feel overpriced compared with, pretty much most other countries I have ever been to, primarily because wages are higher here.

I will not even tip for poor service in a restaurant and I save up all the tips and when I do get really excellent service give a generous tip to encourage and reward good service. Service in Ireland is very mixed, it varies from one extreme to the other, even in our famed Irish pubs, plenty of barmen in Dublin are awful, they leave you standing there for 5 or 10 minutes and serve the pretty girl who bounces up to the bar instead instantly. Tip a euro a pint for that? On top of €5.80 a pint of Guinness?

I'd tip the odd taxi driver too, rarely because again tit's too expensive already, nearly a fiver just to get into the taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Rezident wrote: »
    Firstly, most things in Ireland feel overpriced compared with, pretty much most other countries I have ever been to, primarily because wages are higher here.

I will not even tip for poor service in a restaurant and I save up all the tips and when I do get really excellent service give a generous tip to encourage and reward good service. Service in Ireland is very mixed, it varies from one extreme to the other, even in our famed Irish pubs, plenty of barmen in Dublin are awful, they leave you standing there for 5 or 10 minutes and serve the pretty girl who bounces up to the bar instead instantly. Tip a euro a pint for that? On top of €5.80 a pint of Guinness?

I'd tip the odd taxi driver too, rarely because again tit's too expensive already, nearly a fiver just to get into the taxi.

But I never tip bar service in ireland. Who does?

Macker2001 wrote: »
    Because the guy in McDonald's gets paid more!!!!!!!

Yeah. Minimum wage at least.

The American system isn't bad. It's just something to learn.

One good thing about tipping bar staff is that good and fast bar staff are rewarded for busy periods.

Is it fair that a busy barman get paid the same as a guy who serves 2 people an hour?

Rezident wrote: »

Yeah. To be fair some taxi drivers round down. I always round up.

I don't agree about dublin bar staff. Generally very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

Macker2001 wrote: »
    Most bartenders and waitresses would earn $1000 per week in tips so I doubt it had to be an expensive restaurant his cousin worked in.

$1000 each in tips? if so.. that's almost double the wage of your average chef here, untaxed.

I was getting payed 11.50ph in a restaurant recently.. not great but better than the min wage. A new head chef took over and was adamant to have the tips split between the kitchen, kitchen porters and the floor staff (not incl himself obviously). Many waitresses fought this hell for leather, I totted up some numbers out of curiosity and found for a basic 40hr week they were earning more than me with the inclusion of their tips.. that didn't seem fair. It was a busy place so the tips were average and consistent. It ended up being split 40:60.

I was in Berlin last year, was customary to tip at least 5-10% there iirc.. however in bars i frequented as a group we generally got free drinks every couple of rounds and they even slashed a nice chunk off our tab once they got to know us!

more of this and less of the tipping i say : http://uk.businessinsider.com/a-restaurant-just-banned-tips-2015-1?r=US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

You forced front of house staff to pool tips with kitchen staff? I hope you're lying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

You forced front of house staff to pool tips with kitchen staff? I hope you're lying.

What's wrong with it ?

Advertisement