Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is tipping not part of irish culture ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Am I the only one that thought the OP was nostalgic for his cow-tipping days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sorry to drag this back up but, ordered a Chinese last night, got my food on time, left a tip, food was cold.
    I wish I didn't tip :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Sorry to drag this back up but, ordered a Chinese last night, got my food on time, left a tip, food was cold.
    I wish I didn't tip :(

Did you not call them and complain? Another thing Americans do very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 jacintaobrien

Irish people don't tip because they are generally taxed to death. Also our service industry pays the minimum wage,not below like the USA scumbag against-the-union employers do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

mikeym wrote: »
    Ive been to America a good few times and the Servers provide a good service whenever ive went out to restaurants.

If you eat out in America you have to tip because its frowned upon if you dont.

I only tip if I get great service over here.

Why should I tip a Taxi man that takes the long way to get to my destination?

Btw some chippers charge for delivery in Co.Cork.

In my experience all take aways charge for delivery in Dublin. Prefer to collect but do get the odd delivery if I'm just too lazy to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My uncle was in New York recently and didn't leave a tip. So the manager followed him out and aggressively demanded to know why he didn't tip.

I have a cousin who is a waiter in the states and earns $1000+ per week because of all the extra money he makes in tips.

So why don't we tip like the states.
    Why don't we?!? more like why the fuck should we? And why the fuck do they tolerate such nonsense in the states.

I don't think a waiter (presuming normal hours) should be getting $1000 a week, you make it sound like a good thing with no negatives.

I don't think managers should be accosting people on the street, charge what you want up front. What did your uncle say to this cunt?

It is illegal to tip certain people in the US, I would like to see it banned here altogether, its encouraging a black economy.

There are laws in the US ensuring employees DO get normal minimum wage if their tips do not make up for it. I think its in most states so do not fall for that shite excuse everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It is not tipping when it is expected and demanded. Just add 20% to the price of the service and use that to pay your staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm glad there's no tipping culture here. When I was in the states it was an awful pain in the hole having to keep loads of 1 dollar bills on me at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The difference is in the us some service jobs,
    the wages are like 8dollars an hour,
    people in restaurants, basic jobs relied on tips ,
    to pay bills ,live a normal life .
    Before 94 in ireland house prices were low ,
    taxes were low, for average people ,
    there was no reason for tipping to be part of irish culture .
    I know a waitress worked in nyc ,
    she made more from tips than from her wages,
    eg tips were in the 100,s of dollars range per week.

it means at least the staff try harder , they are very polite .
    i prefer the irish system ,
    just give everyone a minimum wage you can live on .

There,s people who work full time in the usa ,walmart etc and also
    claim welfare,etc food stamps as their wage is very low.
    also many people in the usa work in 2 jobs .
    i thought tipped was supposed to be 10 per cent of the bill,
    unless you are a rich person who can afford to tip like a 100 dollars every where u go.
    Every state is different ,in some states minimum wage is only 8 dollars .
    also some people start working at the age of 16 .in the states.

Some one wrote a book about this,
    they showed how life is like if you work for minimum wage in the usa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

riclad wrote: »
    The difference is in the us some service jobs,
    the wages are like 8dollars an hour,
    people in restaurants, basic jobs relied on tips ,
    to pay bills ,live a normal life .

"The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I'm glad there's no tipping culture here. When I was in the states it was an awful pain in the hole having to keep loads of 1 dollar bills on me at all times.

That's what I'm always wondering. Never been to the States myself but you must need to carry a lot of small currency around with you all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

This tipping automatically, it's for the birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Go into Avoca and sit down for something to eat, they automatically charge 10% on top of final bill for service.

I don't agree with this, have never gone back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If I go to a tyre fitters and make an order for a premium brand I expect a discount

If I order stationary and IT supplies for the office and put in a valuable order I'm definitely getting a discount.

If I guarantee some good numbers from the office to go to the pub for after work drinks we will get free finger food, nyom, nyom

If I bring 6 friends to a restaurant and drop a few hundred euro not only do I pay the standard price, they also lash a service charge on top for groups of 6 or more

Only business model that even attempts to do this! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    That's what I'm always wondering. Never been to the States myself but you must need to carry a lot of small currency around with you all the time.

Yeah and then you can't get any fecking change because you have to leave a certain amount. If something costs 12 dollars you might have to leave 15 or 16 or whatever. You're always wondering if you've left enough. It's a right nuisance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I work as a waitress at the weekend and during the college holidays, and I've noticed a small upswing in tips in the last few months or so. A year or two ago, you really had to work very hard for tips but not *so* much anymore. Personally I save mine for Christmas presents or a rainy day, so they're well appreciated.

We don't expect tips as a right, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to be given nothing after serving a large group of people (10+ people, 3 courses etc.), especially if their bill was huge anyway, and I'd been run off my feet with them. But where I work those types of groups are in the minority, and I'd see any other tip as a bonus rather than a given. We keep all our own tips, no pooling or sharing. There are many days where you'd come home with less than €5 anyway.

My boyfriend and I tip when we're out, and delivery drivers etc. We could tip €10 for a meal we really loved.

i Think if you go to a restaurant ,if you pay by credit card .
    you can just fill in a form, bill is say 100 dollars, 10 dollars tip .

the unions are very weak in the us,
    Wages are low .for workers,waiters etc
    if you are working 40 hours, on 7 dollars an hour ,
    you really on the poverty line .
    we have a better welfare system in ireland .
    And our public healthcare system is much better than the american system.
    if you want to avoid paying tips, go to kfc, mc donalds etc
    i suppose if you stay in certain hotels in the usa tipping is expected ,
    its a custom .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Because there is no customer service in Ireland.

In the US they go out of their way to make sure the customer is well looked after. It's business.

As an example I just had a coffee down the street earlier in a bar and the chap wouldnt take my card. Very generous so I ended up having another coffee and something to eat. I was only charged for the food and I left a 40% tip. And I will be back.

It's a fairly simple business model. Look after your customers and they will be back. The only time this was relevant at home was when Superquinn was around. And this was because Feargal Quinn had seen how it works in the US.

In New York while you do tip per drink depending on the bar you would get the third or fourth on them.

I only tip at home if the server is a gorgeous female;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Because waiters are paid about $2-3 dollars per hour (less than minimum wage) and are expected to make up the rest in tips. Also in the states waiters' tax is calculated on the amount of food they sell and the state they're in assumes they're making 15% tips on everything they sell

Ireland doesn't have a tipping culture because waiters are paid minimum wage

Also, chasing after someone for a tip is considered extremely rude in the US, the manager is lucky your uncle didn't complain to the owner, in some jobs that can cause someone to get fired on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why is tripping not part of Irish culture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

I would have thought tipping was pretty widespread here now even with minimum wages etc. If you get good service I believe people deserve some credit for that good service. If the service is bad no so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

riclad wrote: »
    i suppose if you stay in certain hotels in the usa tipping is expected ,

Not "certain hotels", ALL hotels.

Its just the way they are.

I Don,t think that ,ll work in ireland ,
    re free drink,
    if i drink more than 2 pints of beer ,ill be drunk.
    plus i,ll be over the limit for drink driving .

it sounds very complicated ,
    every barman has too remember how many drinks every person buys,
    in order to offer them a free drink.
    free drink is of no use too me if it puts me over the limit for driving.
    I Can see it gets complicated ,in a busy pub,
    everyones gonna be thinking ,
    did i tip too much,
    not enough .
    the problem pubs have now ,is drink is too expensive,4-5 euro.
    Most people i know just buy cans in the off license ,
    and go to pubs maybe once a week.or less .
    Plus smokers are not made welcome,
    in most pubs .

i presume the usa has cheap motels ,
    as well as hotels .

certain pubs, restaurants have great customer service .
    Every place is different .

i think i prefer the irish way,
    eg everyone does,nt have to pretend to be your best friend ,
    or make small talk ,
    Just in order to get a tip.
    its more honest ,genuine , than the us way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't think a waiter (presuming normal hours) should be getting $1000 a week, you make it sound like a good thing with no negatives.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

People tip waiters but not nurses. If a nurse gives a good/average/bad service while having to deal with long hours and peoples **** (literally and figuratively) why don't you tip them?

ALiasEX wrote: »
    People tip waiters but not nurses. If a nurse gives a good/average/bad service while having to deal with long hours and peoples **** (literally and figuratively) why don't you tip them?

Unless things have changed in the UK, it was common to tip nurses. Maybe not always cash, but a gift at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Why?

Not that I agree or disagree with waiters being able to earn $1k/week, I don't care, but that is a lot of money for unskilled work that takes very little effort. All they do is take note of customers orders and tell the chefs the orders and then they carry the chefs hard work from the kitchen to the table. Other than that they just have to refill drinks, bring the dishes to the kitchen for someone else to clean and use a cash register...oh, and smile, that's a difficult one. It's the chef who should be getting the big tips and weekly wages to be honest.

Not that I agree or disagree with waiters being able to earn $1k/week, I don't care, but that is a lot of money for unskilled work that takes very little effort. All they do is take note of customers orders and tell the chefs the orders and then they carry the chefs hard work from the kitchen to the table. Other than that they just have to refill drinks, bring the dishes to the kitchen for someone else to clean and use a cash register...oh, and smile, that's a difficult one. It's the chef who should be getting the big tips and weekly wages to be honest.

Have you ever waited tables in a higher end place? If you did, did you get good tips?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Why do we not have a culture of tipping in Ireland ?

Why do we not encourage restaurants to underpay workers and evade taxes and PRSI contributions?

Worded differently, but same question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Service charge?

Advertisement