Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

ratmouse wrote: »
    Is it only me who finds it disgusting that people ignore their dental health and hygiene requirements?

No...but tbf I don't think I've ever come across anyone who does

Then again ive lead a very sheltered (and clean) life compared to many on boards it would seem....no doubt someone will be along to say brushing your teeth and using mouth waste twice a day is excessive??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

No...but tbf I don't think I've ever come across anyone who does

Then again ive lead a very sheltered (and clean) life compared to many on boards it would seem....no doubt someone will be along to say brushing your teeth and using mouth waste twice a day is excessive??

Twice a day is not excessive in my opinion, but is normal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Deenie123 wrote: »
    You shouldn't smell very quickly after a run. Fresh sweat doesn't smell bad.
    Well, that's a load of bullcrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Oh, Buzzfeed, how I love thee. I feel someone there must have been looking at this thread. Sciency people saying stuff within. Just two people, mind, but I'd give their opinions more weight than the laypeople on this thread. Agree with so much in this article. It also mentions that you should change your undies every day. And that you can wash on your non shower days but it's not a real requirement. Also interesting to see by the poll, that every other day showerers are almost as common as daily showerers.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelwmiller/how-often-you-really-need-to-shower?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#4ldqpgp

:)

I've been at three races, all in completely different parts of the country (so not the same person!) where there was someone who smelled so bad that I almost vomited. I'm not talking a bit of BO which can be expected during a long race, I'm talking about a smell that choked you it was so bad. It smelled like someone who not only hadn't washed in a couple of days, but who hadn't washed their running clothes in over a week, it was an old stale smell of disgustingness. It hit you in the back of the throat and you could actually taste it. What was funny about every one of these people, was that I encountered them either very early on or at the start line. So it wasn't like after 10 miles they were getting a bit too sweaty. They just never bothered their arses washing.

Absolutely disgusting stuff. There is no way that anyone would go out knowing they smell that bad. Not a hope. So I can only presume that they are oblivious to their own stench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was in college with a girl who never washed herself or her clothes. The tutor made a comment to us all on the importance of keeping ourselves clean in the first week, and as the year progressed, the owner of the college called her in at leasr 5 times in regards to complaints about her smelling. Nobody would work with her and you could smell her from really far away.

Thing is, she was told that she smelled, she was told to keep herself clean, and yet every day she came in, she was still manky.

I've been at three races, all in completely different parts of the country (so not the same person!) where there was someone who smelled so bad that I almost vomited. I'm not talking a bit of BO which can be expected during a long race, I'm talking about a smell that choked you it was so bad. It smelled like someone who not only hadn't washed in a couple of days, but who hadn't washed their running clothes in over a week, it was an old stale smell of disgustingness. It hit you in the back of the throat and you could actually taste it. What was funny about every one of these people, was that I encountered them either very early on or at the start line. So it wasn't like after 10 miles they were getting a bit too sweaty. They just never bothered their arses washing.

Absolutely disgusting stuff. There is no way that anyone would go out knowing they smell that bad. Not a hope. So I can only presume that they are oblivious to their own stench.

I once came into contact with someone like that in a supermarket. The smell was as you describe. Looking at the guy, I'd say mental health issues might have been at play. :(
    I was in college with a girl who never washed herself or her clothes. The tutor made a comment to us all on the importance of keeping ourselves clean in the first week, and as the year progressed, the owner of the college called her in at leasr 5 times in regards to complaints about her smelling. Nobody would work with her and you could smell her from really far away.

Thing is, she was told that she smelled, she was told to keep herself clean, and yet every day she came in, she was still manky.

Who knows what was going on there though.

What do you mean

What do you mean

Well, if she was spoken to about it a few times and nothing changed, possible mental health stuff going on there too? Especially if she wasn't even washing her clothes.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Well, if she was spoken to about it a few times and nothing changed, possible mental health stuff going on there too? Especially if she wasn't even washing her clothes.

Or she was just a lazy filthy person? Many many people have mental illness/depression and manage to keep themselves clean.

• Advertisement

I once came into contact with someone like that in a supermarket. The smell was as you describe. Looking at the guy, I'd say mental health issues might have been at play. :(

I went to school with a girl like that. Very bloody sad. She came in on her first day of first year in her sister's old uniform that stank and looked like it had never been washed in the 5 years her sister attended. A million creases in the thing. Horrible to see that.

The people at those races didn't look as you describe in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I do TRX outdoors and so dont sweat in this kind of weather but my clothes still go straight into the wash basket when i get home. I would have thought that was normal and not because i have "OCD".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Oh god. Currently sitting in the GP waiting room, and the woman sitting beside me absolutely reeks. It is vile. I just pity the poor doctor having to examine her. Seriously, no matter how filthy you are, imagine not washing before a doctor's visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,080 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, that's a load of bullcrap.

No it isn't. My understanding is that BO smell is actually the smell of bacteria living there in abundance. They need time to breed and live and the smell comes from bacteria poo. They love hot sweaty conditions but if you have a wash and get rid of the bacteria and then sweat like a pig it won't smell immediately.

So no not bullcrap. If you smell as soon as you sweat it's because you have a buildup of bacteria and it's poo which is now hot and stinking.

You need to wash yourself more often

Or she was just a lazy filthy person? Many many people have mental illness/depression and manage to keep themselves clean.

And some people don't.

Maybe she was just filthy and lazy. Were you in any position to make that assessment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you don't shower at least twice a day and use your bidet and toilet wipes when you poo and also have your maid change your bed clothes every other day, you are putrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I have amassed quite an amount of cheese on my foreskin. The guests later should enjoy some on crackers with a glass of merlot wine.

And some people don't.

Maybe she was just filthy and lazy. Were you in any position to make that assessment?

To be honest I didnt particularly care why she didn't wash herself or her clothes. All I knew was i wasn't going to be practicing waxing her bikini line especially when we could all smell when she had her period

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

magma69 wrote: »
    I have amassed quite an amount of cheese on my foreskin. The guests later should enjoy some on crackers with a glass of merlot wine.

Should change your name to smegma69 tbh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

That 'joke' wasn't any funnier even when two other legendary wits made it earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

That 'joke' wasn't any funnier even when two other legendary wits made it earlier in the thread.

I yearn for your approval. Why don't you trawl through every other post I made and point out what's not up to your standard. You must have the time if you have read the 1300+ posts in this very thread. There's a good lad x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I yearn for your approval. Why don't you trawl through every other post I made and point out what's not up to your standard. You must have the time if you have read the 1300+ posts in this very thread. There's a good lad x

Well this thread has been spaced out over the course of a week so in sure if you gave him enough time he could do it.

Well this thread has been spaced out over the course of a week so in sure if you gave him enough time he could do it.

Quite. It's a fascinating thread. The only reason I responded to Magma was because I remember the two previous attempts on this thread at making a 'joke' about dick cheese were remarkable only for their puerility and gross stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I agree Aongus, a merlot of all things, surely an chardonay.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

LOR, it is not outside the realms of possibilities that this girl does indeed suffer mental health issues, in fact it is probably more likely she does then doesn't. The fact is, anyone who after being told they smell and are more than likely being ignored/laughed at/bullied by their peers due to their BO and yet continues not to wash, is someone who is suffering in some form or another, more likely in terms of mental health.
    You also have no idea what kind of home they come from etc. There are all sorts of social problems out there

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I agree Aongus, a merlot of all things, surely an chardonay.......:D

I've never had the pleasure of drinking a Chardonay. Is it the type of thing you'd brew in a bucket? I prefer my white wines like my women - complex, dry and German.

I've never had the pleasure of drinking a Chardonay. Is it the type of thing you'd brew in a bucket? I prefer my white wines like my women - complex, dry and German.

Id say you like them dry alright much like yourself!

Spanish and Italian wine are where it's at too, I'm surprised a man of your so called stature would lower them selves to drinking German wine, I didn't even know they make wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Spanish and Italian wine are where it's at too, I'm surprised a man of your so called stature would lower them selves to drinking German wine, I didn't even know they make wine.
    There are a lot of things you dont know, Nox. How to change your kaks being one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Tell me you don't trample on your own grapes, do you?

• Advertisement

Tilly wrote: »
    There are a lot of things you dont know, Nox. How to change your kaks being one of them!

Or that Germany produces many world class wines. Probably thinks German wine isn't up to much because you can't buy 2 bottles for €15 in Mace.

Which isn't as bad as not changing your underwear on a daily basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement