Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Is there not a french translation for the word meal also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah but they won't tell us what it is, the snooty feckers.

(Pretty sure it's either plat or repas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Le meal

What if you go to burger king?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

efb wrote: »

Le Big Mac with cheese

Les yum yums

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Le Big Mac with cheese

Are you Chuck Norris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Le Big Mac with cheese

Now craving this :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Now craving this :(

The french macdonalds version is not that nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

What do they call a Whopper?

I don't know, I didn't go into Burger King.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

efb wrote: »

You ask for a Royale with cheese. ;)

Something to do with the metric system...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

This thread continues to fascinate and disgust me in equal measure.

We went for a French meal this evening - partly in solidarity with the people of France, and partly because I fancied a beef bourguignon. I had the cheese plate for dessert. As I sampled the epoisses, I couldn't help but think that its pungent and funky aroma could be compared to the underwear of some of the posters here with a lax attitude towards personal hygiene. It was a frankly unpleasant thought, and I stuck to the the other cheeses for the rest of the course. It was never a cheese I've particularly liked, but the smell of it is now associated with the smell of unwashed Irish genitals. I won't be having it again.

I love that cheese :) The smell is not so much unwashed down theres as it is sick cats on a hot day...

The french macdonalds version is not that nice.

Unfortunately it didn't cure the craving... Ended up making a pit stop for a double cheeseburger. Their cheese is addictive :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

When are you going to get it into your head that showering every second day does not turn a person into a walking rubbish bin.

It's extremely annoying that some are so blind to this fact and stand by my opinion that it's purely their heads being conditioned into thinking it. Also as they claim to shower every single day without fail they speak from a position of ignorance on the topic.

I think it may be the not showering every day in addition to wearing underpants for two days and then spraying deodorant on your clothes. Obviously we can't tell whether the smelly people are every-second-day washers, but anybody I have known who has stated that they only shower every two or three days has a definite smell of them. It may not be overpowering, but it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Shower every day! Your pits smell, your manky ar3e smells. Get some water and soap about ye, filthy dirtbird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The thing about not showering every day is ok on its own. Sometimes if I'm not going anywhere or whatever I might not do it on a day.
    But not showering for 2-3 days *in combination with* not changing your underwear for 2-3 days *and* not changing your sheets for 1-3 months and you start having a very smelly problem

Even if a person doesn't smell of BO, they of that unmistakable stale smell of unwashed humanity :(

Shower every day! Your pits smell, your manky ar3e smells. Get some water and soap about ye, filthy dirtbird.

Well I haven't had a shower since Saturday evening and been at work all day and I smell of nothing except a faint hint of the combination of the smell of antiperspirant and deodorant I applied this morning. Its also the tshirt I wore on Thursday which I hung back up in the wardrobe as I was wearing a shirt Friday and took out to wear again today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

There is no way that if someone doesn't wash that they don't smell. If I don't shower most days then I will sweat and smell, it is the law of the human body. The longer you go without washing the more clogged the pores in your body will become and the stench will become stronger which no amount of sprays can mask. This is common sense and general cleanliness knowledge and you don't need a couple of degrees in Biology to know this. The thread is going around in circles basically with everyone trying to defend not washing and then the rest ganging up on them. Continuous and anti climatic arguments with no definitive result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

This is like one of them Channel 4 documentaries. :pac:

Well I haven't had a shower since Saturday evening and been at work all day and I smell of nothing except a faint hint of the combination of the smell of antiperspirant and deodorant I applied this morning. Its also the tshirt I wore on Thursday which I hung back up in the wardrobe as I was wearing a shirt Friday and took out to wear again today.

Nox I actually wonder if you just have a dulled sense of smell. I know my own sense of smell is extremely sharp, to the point that I can pick out individual ingredients in complex dishes (food, not the crockery :p). Maybe that's a difference that explains why I think it's unforgivable to be around other people unwashed (I don't mind a lazy day about the house, I feel gross but it sometimes happens), but you just don't smell it? Like, have you ever given any thought to the idea that maybe you just can't smell yourself?

As for the rewearing stuff... If I've had a tshirt on under a shirt/cardigan/hoody I won't necessarily put the outer layer in the wash. If I think it's not dirty I leave it a day or two and do a sniff test. However, I leave the item out. Don't put worn clothes back into a wardrobe alongside clean, freshly washed stuff. Doing that regularly guarantees that the rest of your stuff ends up with a bit of a musty smell about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Oh my god, will people not just realise that some people have to shower every day because they perspire more and their skin is probably more oily (likely from overshowering)... And others can go a day if they're active and two days if they're inactive. I've showered yesterday and today because I exercised. On the other hand, I showered on Friday and then didn't shower again until Monday, just washed myself twice, because I didn't do anything exertive.

Chloris wrote: »
    Oh my god, will people not just realise that some people have to shower every day because they perspire more and their skin is probably more oily (likely from overshowering)... And others can go a day if they're active and two days if they're inactive. I've showered yesterday and today because I exercised. On the other hand, I showered on Friday and then didn't shower again until Monday, just washed myself twice, because I didn't do anything exertive.

I can accept this in theory, except that anyone I know of who doesn't wash daily has a smell off them. I'm fairly sure they can't smell it, otherwise they'd have washed it away!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Betya you were on the lash on Saturday night too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I'm only ever complimented on my perfume... And my friend tells me I always smell like biscuits because I like baking so the smell often gets into my clothes. I often smell people who are dirty when I'm out. It's like the smell of an unwiped arse. That's not ok...

This thread was created 2 weeks ago....how many of you still haven't showered!

Creeps

Nox I actually wonder if you just have a dulled sense of smell. I know my own sense of smell is extremely sharp, to the point that I can pick out individual ingredients in complex dishes (food, not the crockery :p). Maybe that's a difference that explains why I think it's unforgivable to be around other people unwashed (I don't mind a lazy day about the house, I feel gross but it sometimes happens), but you just don't smell it? Like, have you ever given any thought to the idea that maybe you just can't smell yourself?

As for the rewearing stuff... If I've had a tshirt on under a shirt/cardigan/hoody I won't necessarily put the outer layer in the wash. If I think it's not dirty I leave it a day or two and do a sniff test. However, I leave the item out. Don't put worn clothes back into a wardrobe alongside clean, freshly washed stuff. Doing that regularly guarantees that the rest of your stuff ends up with a bit of a musty smell about it.

I have an excellent sense of smell, too good infact as I can smell bad things too easily from both things like bins, bad food etc and people. The simple fact is the way I do things does not result in me smelling. If for instance I go for a run or play sport I very quickly know that I need a shower so I'm very happy in the knowledge that I don't smell. Also as I mentioned in the thread I spend a lot of time in close proximity to people who would have no problem telling me I smelled if I did and vice versa.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Betya you were on the lash on Saturday night too!

Only a few quiet cures for Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have an excellent sense of smell, too good infact as I can smell bad things too easily from both things like bins

Well you're a regular bloodhound!!

I have an excellent sense of smell, too good infact as I can smell bad things too easily from both things like bins, bad food etc and people. The simple fact is the way I do things does not result in me smelling. If for instance I go for a run or play sport I very quickly know that I need a shower so I'm very happy in the knowledge that I don't smell. Also as I mentioned in the thread I spend a lot of time in close proximity to people who would have no problem telling me I smelled if I did and vice versa.

Only a few quiet cures for Friday night.

You shouldn't smell very quickly after a run. Fresh sweat doesn't smell bad. It's stale sweat that's dried in that smells. If you smell immediately after a run, you're smelling old sweat that's already on your skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Chloris wrote: »

Yeah, but what people are saying is that not showering for 2 days is grand. Not washing, changing underwear and not changing bedsheets, that'll make a person stink.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't smell very quickly after a run. Fresh sweat doesn't smell bad. It's stale sweat that's dried in that smells. If you smell immediately after a run, you're smelling old sweat that's already on your skin.

I mean of my running clothes etc after they have been left aside for using again before washing or if I don't have a shower for a few hours after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement