Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

I can't imagine putting my running gear aside to use again before washing it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll be going to football for 8.30 tonight, as soon as I get home it's a shower and then wash my gear and the bibs before I go to bed! I would never deviate from that routine! Need the bibs again tomorrow and no way would I leave them 'aside' to use again tomorrow without washing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Well I haven't had a shower since Saturday evening and been at work all day and I smell of nothing except a faint hint of the combination of the smell of antiperspirant and deodorant I applied this morning. Its also the tshirt I wore on Thursday which I hung back up in the wardrobe as I was wearing a shirt Friday and took out to wear again today.

So...to go with very suspect (at best) hygiene habits
    You now saying you throw old worn,not fresh clothes back into the press!!

What does your girl/boyfriend have to say on this??

Actually im not even sure if I believe you in what you are saying...no way any adult lives like that...if you were rearing children as you describe...

Weeks on end with dirty sheets,couple day old underwear,couple day old underwear,not showering regularly enough etc

There is a strong chance the HSE would take them off you...or else you'd be on a watch list of social worker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I mean of my running clothes etc after they have been left aside for using again before washing or if I don't have a shower for a few hours after.

So... You do something (running) that makes you sweat a lot.

Then don't bother washing the clothing before wearing it again?

Jesus. You get better and better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

but anybody I have known who has stated that they only shower every two or three days has a definite smell of them.

Did you smell it before they told you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

This thread continues to fascinate and disgust me in equal measure.

We went for a French meal this evening - partly in solidarity with the people of France, and partly because I fancied a beef bourguignon. I had the cheese plate for dessert. As I sampled the epoisses, I couldn't help but think that its pungent and funky aroma could be compared to the underwear of some of the posters here with a lax attitude towards personal hygiene. It was a frankly unpleasant thought, and I stuck to the the other cheeses for the rest of the course. It was never a cheese I've particularly liked, but the smell of it is now associated with the smell of unwashed Irish genitals. I won't be having it again.

How do you what other posters underwear smells like?
    You big pervert:D

kfallon wrote: »
    I'll be going to football for 8.30 tonight, as soon as I get home it's a shower and then wash my gear and the bibs before I go to bed! I would never deviate from that routine! Need the bibs again tomorrow and no way would I leave them 'aside' to use again tomorrow without washing them

Once they didn't get wet from rain I'd count that a waste of time and money. Sure they are only going to get sweaty again what's the problem with re wearing them?

In general I would never do a special wash for sports clothes just wait till I have a big wash to do.
    So...to go with very suspect (at best) hygiene habits
    You now saying you throw old worn,not fresh clothes back into the press!!

What does your girl/boyfriend have to say on this??

Actually im not even sure if I believe you in what you are saying...no way any adult lives like that...if you were rearing children as you describe...

Weeks on end with dirty sheets,couple day old underwear,couple day old underwear,not showering regularly enough etc

There is a strong chance the HSE would take them off you...or else you'd be on a watch list of social worker

Listen here I'm actually a very clean and tidy person just because you think otherwise is irrelevant. What with "old worn clothes", you make it sound bad for no reason. I hand up a shirt or t-shirt on a hanger and re use often, why not they are perfectly clean and smell no differnt to the clean ones.

Also what dirty sheets? A month is a perfectly normal amount of time to use sheets for as many posters here have commented, they aren't dirty just because you are ocd about it.

And for the fecking last time I do shower regularly since when is every second day not regularly.

So... You do something (running) that makes you sweat a lot.

Then don't bother washing the clothing before wearing it again?

Jesus. You get better and better

What exactly is the problem with that, you run and get sweaty why not just reuse the clothes a couple of times as you will be having a shower after anyway and the clothes can be hung in a airy place (obviously not back in a press for this type of stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I seriously hope you don't exercise in close proximity to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

OMG... wearing the same gym / running gear twice? Please say it's only outdoors and you aren't on a treadmill?
    The stench of stale sweat from unwashed gym gear would burn the nostrils...

Listen here I'm actually a very clean and tidy person just because you think otherwise is irrelevant.

I'm afraid that's simply not true. You do not have clean personal habits.
    Also what dirty sheets? A month is a perfectly normal amount of time to use sheets for as many posters here have commented, they aren't dirty just because you are ocd about it.

Far more posters have expressed disgust. The whole world isn't OCD except you.
    What exactly is the problem with that, you run and get sweaty why not just reuse the clothes a couple of times as you will be having a shower after anyway and the clothes can be hung in a airy place (obviously not back in a press for this type of stuff).

The problem with that is that there is simply no way your stuff doesn't stink. Not just smell, but stink. You not understanding that fact is very telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Once they didn't get wet from rain I'd count that a waste of time and money. Sure they are only going to get sweaty again what's the problem with re wearing them?

They are covered in the bacteria that feed on your sweat and also in salts and urea that you have sweated out, and that smells like stale piss. Seriously, I've been in the 'not too bad' camp regarding you, but seriously, wash your sports wear after you use them or I guarantee that they are rank. And change your bloody underwear daily. If you can't smell yourself it may just be a case that you're used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In general I would never do a special wash for sports clothes just wait till I have a big wash to do.

Listen here I'm actually a very clean and tidy person just because you think otherwise is irrelevant. What with "old worn clothes", you make it sound bad for no reason. I hand up a shirt or t-shirt on a hanger and re use often, why not they are perfectly clean and smell no differnt to the clean ones.

And for the fecking last time I do shower regularly since when is every second day not regularly.

Now I know you're taking the Michael. You can only stretch a bluff so far before it snaps. But you had a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Now I know you're taking the Michael. You can only stretch a bluff so far before it snaps. But you had a good run.

I've suspected for months that Nox is a piece of performance art.

I've suspected for months that Nox is a piece of performance art.

:D

Think you might be in to something. I look forward to Nox's posts almost as much as I do Aonghus Von B's.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think that the only way this can get settled is for a delegation of AH'ers to meet with Nox and have a sniff! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Neyite wrote: »
    I think that the only way this can get settled is for a delegation of AH'ers to meet with Nox and have a sniff! :pac:

I wouldn't sniff him with yours!!!

kylith wrote: »
    They are covered in the bacteria that feed on your sweat and also in salts and urea that you have sweated out, and that smells like stale piss. Seriously, I've been in the 'not too bad' camp regarding you, but seriously, wash your sports wear after you use them or I guarantee that they are rank. And change your bloody underwear daily. If you can't smell yourself it may just be a case that you're used to it.

I never said sports gear won't smell, they will of course but especially if you are running outside its not really that big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    :D

Think you might be in to something. I look forward to Nox's posts almost as much as I do Aonghus Von B's.

Glad to hear you enjoy deliberations on various topics. However, there's no 'h' in my first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think Sincere Mammoth Void is hilarious. He's like Tom Hanks in Big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I think Sincere Mammoth Void is hilarious. He's like Tom Hanks in Big.

Or Tom Hanks in Castaway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Or Tom Hanks in Meg Ryan's crusty, unwashed snatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Or Tom Hanks in Meg Ryan's crusty, unwashed snatch.

Or Tom Hanks in Philadelphia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I thought Brad Pitt was in Snatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

I know lots of people who have similar habits to nox and they don't smell. Well I don't regularly ask my friends how often they change their underpants but in all other aspects they would be very similar. Any time I have noticed any of my friends smelling they have told me before hand (as in I'm not going to hug you im a bit sweaty etc)

I would shower daily l, but I exercise 6 times a week and usually would go out for dinner/drinks after work on the 7th day so would shower after work before heading out. I wouldn't be bothered if I skipped a day.

I would wear a loose fitted top more than once, a tight vest or tshirt usually only gets one wear but most other tips I would get 2 wears out of. jeans I onlh wash if they are stained and other trousers it varies depending on the material. I aim to change bedsheets every 2 weeks but I have been known to stretch it to 3 every now and then (also have also been known to change them more often if I feel like they need it). Towels get washed after a week of use.

Even if I couldn't tell that I smell myself my boyfriend had a ridiculously keen sense of smell, he knows when I've been walking in certain areas of dublin from the smell on my clothes and he would have no problem in telling me I smell on occasion. Any time he's mentioned it I've already been aware and the same when I say it to him.

I can't believe how nasty people are about this. Just because someone's habits don't match yours it doesn't mean they are disgusting. Yes there are people who don't realise they smell out there, but I do think most of you would be surprised at the habits of a lot of everyday people because for the most part people you meet in day to day life are not smelly/disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

NOx is a poisonous gas also, he lives up to his name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Is it only me who finds it disgusting that people ignore their dental health and hygiene requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

ratmouse wrote: »
    Is it only me who finds it disgusting that people ignore their dental health and hygiene requirements?

There is nothing worse than a combination of BO and bad breath

Glad to hear you enjoy deliberations on various topics. However, there's no 'h' in my first name.

Ah, sure we all make mistakes, such as your shoddy typo there a while back. :pac:

ratmouse wrote: »

Yes, you're special. Nobody else on this thread has expressed disgust in any form at the notion.

• Advertisement

I can't believe how nasty people are about this. Just because someone's habits don't match yours it doesn't mean they are disgusting. Yes there are people who don't realise they smell out there, but I do think most of you would be surprised at the habits of a lot of everyday people because for the most part people you meet in day to day life are not smelly/disgusting.

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement