Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shootings in Paris - Multiple fatalities.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

kstand wrote: »
    I'm not denying that - but in recent years there has been a softening of the Israeli stance

Oh for f***s sake....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Gbear wrote: »
    If it wasn't that it'd be something else.

Islamic extremism will die when it's adherents aren't mostly illiterate peasants.

The theocracies and extremism can't coexist with education, wealth, secularism and humanism.

Seems to be doing ok in France!?

Islamic extremism will die when Islam dies.

We are infinitely better of in this country without the noose of Catholicism around our necks, time to treat Islam in Europe in the same fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah can sigh all you want birthrate demographics don't lie

Some reading for you.....
    http://www.newsweek.com/dispelling-myth-eurabia-81943

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yes, there are similarities there all right - used Kalashnikov, covered his head with a baseball cap and didn't blow himself up.

However, he was acting alone and fled on foot. The suspect is supposed to have been an ISIS volunteer in Syria (he is awaiting trial) - maybe these guys have that kind of background as well?

That is what I'm thinking at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

No need to remind me that a few twitter posts don't represent the view of the general muslim population of France, but non the less a number of troubling tweets seem to be popping up at the moment: https://twitter.com/paulribot/status/552816594582507520/photo/1

General idea: these journalists played with fire and got what they deserved.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    FOAD you bleeeep.

That's about the level of discourse you are capable of.

Mods is this sort of thing fine on these boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,836 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Oh for f***s sake....

A milder version of eaxactly my reaction to your posts in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Kiith wrote: »
    It was a cartoon. These animals have absolutely no justification for this. And while you can't blame an entire religion for the acts of a few animals, the rest of the Islamic world need to stand up and utterly condemn acts of violence like this.

As for the video, I don't need to see someone being murdered like this to understand the tragedy of someone being murdered like this.

Man, what have you got against animals? A lot of them are cuddly and friendly. The scum that carried out this act are not even on the same page as animals.

What have I got against scum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Yeah can sigh all you want birthrate demographics don't lie

My parents estate has a few Nigerian Muslim families living there now and as my old fella said it is like the old days in Roman Catholic iIreland with nine and ten kids in a family. He feels right at home as he was born in the early 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

We should show our solidarity with France by repealing our 2009 blasphemy law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

SpaceTime wrote: »
    This is actually a total disaster for normal French Muslims and minority groups in general in France.

These psychopaths have now potentially catapulted Marie Le Pen into the Elysée Palace.
    There are already serious issues in France and this is just going to make matters much, much worse.

It will be an interesting experiment if she does come to power what will happen and how her government would deal with the problem of Islamic extremists!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Looks like you rather massively missed the point. Do you really think we can follow policies which are responsible for the deaths of literally millions in the Middle East for absolutely no good reason and then not expect the occasional extremist to react in a horrific manner? Grow up.

Who is this "We" you are speaking of?

This attack had little to nothing to do with the middle east, this was an attack on free speech by islamists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Does anyone know if these guys were french? As in were they a bunch of loonies who recently converted to Islam or were they actually from the middle east?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Sometimes people see only what they want to see. And in Ireland we love to back the underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nodin wrote: »

Did I say it would take 10 years? No but its very realistic that a majority could emerge in 50-100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

drumswan wrote: »
    We are infinitely better of in this country without the noose of Catholicism around our necks, time to treat Islam in Europe in the same fashion.

It's still there, albeit very marginal, but look at Lucinda Creighton and the anti-cheap drink brigade, all religious nuts.

ALL religion should be done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I have never danced in the streets with happiness at the deaths of innocents. It is only the followers of Islam who partake in that pratice.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/20/israelis-cheer-gaza-bombing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Did I say it would take 10 years? No but its very realistic that a majority could emerge in 50-100

Not really.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8189231.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Looks like you rather massively missed the point. Do you really think we can follow policies which are responsible for the deaths of literally millions in the Middle East for absolutely no good reason and then not expect the occasional extremist to react in a horrific manner? Grow up.

Quit with the 'we' would you?
    You may feel responsible for this but I certainly do not feel responsible for the actions of some grey haired american christian fundamentalists who ran the US administration in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Jeez just watching sky news. can't believe they show the footage to where the police man was shot in the head. some barbaric stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

bear1 wrote: »
    Are you for real or is this a piss take?
    What side was that policeman on when he was shot dead?

I don't think it's a piss-take at all. You can express all the fury you want but we (the west) created these people so expressing faux-outrage when they pick up a gun and fight back after years/decades of abuse and oppression by the West is a bit like kicking a dog repeatedly and then calling animal protection when he snaps at you.

As for the policeman.....was he anymore deserving of death than the millions of innocents killed in the countless campaigns against Middle East countries by Western powers? Obama alone has slaughtered more innocoent people just in his drone strikes alone than were killed on 9/11

But if you insist on killing these people till they bend to your will ("the beatings shall continue until morale improves!") then have the decency to take the odd revenge and retribution attack like a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Strider wrote: »
    He was giving you the general idea of the tweets, not his own opinion.

My apologies to the poster. I have deleted the post as I had completely misunderstood.
    Hope no offence was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,836 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's about the level of discourse you are capable of.

Mods is this sort of thing fine on these boards?

What other examples of my discourse have you read and to which you refer? Your own posts, in a thread of this nature, could easily be taken as intentionally provocative to the point of trolling.

No doubt I will likely get a ban, but if so, it will have been worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

MadYaker wrote: »
    Does anyone know if these guys were french? As in were they a bunch of loonies who recently converted to Islam or were they actually from the middle east?

they spoke perfect French and said the were al-qaïda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Calina wrote: »
    Yes, along with Charb, Tignous, apparently. Charb's last cartoon which you can find on twitter is sobering. Word is one of the police officers who died was detailed with protecting Charb.
    Being French myself, I've grown up with and enjoyed Cabu and Wolinski's drawings and comics albums and their peculiarly biting sense of humour, for 30-odd years. This is such a complete shock. RIP :(

These guys were the Who's Who of French political cartoonists for decades, highly popular and respected across vast swathes of the population. I can see the public outrage going long and far and, knowing French politics and policing as I do, all I'm left thinking and saying at this time is...what have they done. What have they done.

Yes, because expressing consternation with what sommeone says is just a milder form of telling them to "**** off and die". Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Nodin wrote: »

I would think it wouldnt happen at all. In order for it to happen, there would first need to be incredible civil upheaval - and this would in turn lead to genocide on a scale yet unprecedented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

So you think I'm wrong about having invaded a predominantly islamic region in the last few years?

I think you're confused. France didn't invade anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Effects wrote: »

The people Of Israel are fighting for their very lives against the terrorists of Hamas who are cowards who hide in schools and hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭josip

Meanwhile in other news,

Islamic extremists kill 35 fellow Muslims in Yemen.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30706208

Islamic extremists kill 23 fellow Muslims in Iraq
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30694513

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement