Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i didnt go to Mass!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Full of devils on this thread better start running!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I won't be going to mass again unless invited to a wedding or a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Choochtown wrote: »
    Sorry Robert you have misunderstood me.

I will repeat. I have no problem with you believing what you do regarding gods etc.

I think I have a bit of a problem with you believing that the Catholic Church are actually spending money helping people!! You really think that's it? This big business doesn't want anything in return? Seriously?

Please don't misunderstand this. Of course there are good people helping and providing for others less fortunate than themselves. Of course some of this work is done under the umbrella of the Catholic church. But to suggest that that vile organisation are somehow giving to others unconditionally??!!!

That just makes having a discussion pointless, that vile organisation raised many million 10 years ago for the Asian tsunami which is the 10th anniversary today. A special church collection for Trocaire got over €16 million.
    Dublin collections brought in €4 million.

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.ie/2008/08/dublin-dioceses-4m-tsunami-fund-helps.html
    The Irish Catholic Bishops' agency Trócaire alone received €28.7 million from the Irish public in donations, as well as €1.5 million from the Government, through Irish Aid. It has responded to the emergency through Caritas Internationalis, a network of 162 Catholic humanitarian organisations, and directly through smaller local partners, both church-based and secular.[/QUOTE]
    A considerable amount of the funding subsequently raised has been spent in building and repairing schools, such as the 65 which were reconstructed in the Aceh area of Indonesia, benefitting 20,000 children aged between five and 18.
    That project was completed last May. Trócaire spent €680,769 from the Dublin archdiocese funds and €750,000 from the Government funds on that particular project.
    Another project in Aceh involved the restoration of infrastructure in six coastal villages, involving 1,050 families, which is to be completed in October.

Trócaire has spent €1,400,000 on this project, of which €1 million was from Dublin archdiocesan funds.

To date 648 houses have been built there and handed over to local people, while two more are still under construction.
    Psychological support has been provided for 677,481 vulnerable people in Aceh, which Trócaire funded with €400,000 from Dublin archdiocesan funds towards the total of €496,533 needed.
    Housing projects in Sri Lanka, benefitting 28,000 people, have been funded by Trócaire with €991,914 from Dublin archdiocesan funds contributing towards the total needed of €3,788,462 (including €200,000 from Irish Aid).

Another €500,000 from the Dublin archdiocese has been spent in India providing emergency relief to 60,000 families, including 22,526 children.

That is what a vile organisation as you called it did.

I won't be going to mass again unless invited to a wedding or a funeral.

Since when did people get invitations for a 'funeral'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Eutow wrote: »
    You may be pissed, but still no excuse for using the word " sheeple". That's a paddlin.

Ah jeeesus, I'm even more pissed now.

You just had to get your dig in though, didn't ya?

I tried to make it all better. Let them make friends & all that. What more can you do? :confused:

What do you want? Blood or something?

I'll wish you a happy xmas though, in case you're a witch that'll put a spell on me or summat...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 jimmymorrison2

I like doing the unpopular counter cultural anti-system thing.

So I went to mass.

At the risk of being too orientated around statistics - as someone with my training is - does anyone actually have statistics of how many "true" "catholics" (X) are in the country? And what the capacity is over the churches in our country (Y) over the Christmas Mass and the Easter Mass?

I have never been told if X is <> Y or not officially. There are some interesting implications in either direction. Implications I am not free to wantonly generalise on without actual figures for X and Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Ah jeeesus, I'm even more pissed now.

You just had to get your dig in though, didn't ya?

I tried to make it all better. Let them make friends & all that. What more can you do? :confused:

What do you want? Blood or something?

I'll wish you a happy xmas though, in case you're a witch that'll put a spell on me or summat...

Send me some mince pies and we are good. I don't have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Married a Catholic who loves his mass, so we went Christmas eve and Christmas day. Went to the church at the school we both went to, mad seeing so many familiar faces.

Since when did people get invitations for a 'funeral'

I have friends where I wouldn't just assume it was ok to show up at a funeral for a relative of theirs. I don't think that's odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Of course I didn't go, I'm not that easily fooled.

So I went to mass.

Good man! so did I.

Fight for your own Village & that stuff.

Not messing. See my posts on this thread.

God, I'm quare drunk.

Send me some mince pies and we are good. I don't have any.

All eaten. Savages in my house. :)

I have friends where I wouldn't just assume it was ok to show up at a funeral for a relative of theirs. I don't think that's odd.
    Have you ever seen a funeral entirely packed?
    I understand if its a private funeral but visiting a victims relatives to shake ones hand as a mark of respect wouldnt unplease them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

All eaten. Savages in my house. :)

Too bad, a nasty surprise awaits......

Too bad, a nasty surprise awaits......

Oooops.... I knew it was a bad idea to post on this thread.

Worse things await me than the wrath or God..............

Help!!!!!!

Christmas Eve mass this year was the biggest crowd I've ever seen at Christmas Eve mass (no exaggeration, many were making the same comment). We arrived 20 mins early hoping to get a nice seat with all the family together but we could barely get squeeze into the porch of the church and there were many standing in the car park who arrived later.

Have you ever seen a funeral entirely packed?
    I understand if its a private funeral but visiting a victims relatives to shake ones hand as a mark of respect wouldnt unplease them..

Yes I have been to a funeral.

I know my friends better than you, and I wouldn't just presume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 jimmymorrison2

Packed to the rafters again this year, had to get there half hour early to get a seat.
    You can tell a lot of the people there have little or no faith and spirituality though, they are just going through the motions, and it's more of a concert outing or something like that to them. I feel sorry for them that they have become so disconnected to their spiritual side, inner peace and well being. Still, we're always glad to see them, it might rekindle something in one or two of them someday deep down, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I went to the 10 pm mass on Christmas Eve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sorry, I actually didn't go at all. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Packed to the rafters again this year, had to get there half hour early to get a seat.
    You can tell a lot of the people there have little or no faith and spirituality though, they are just going through the motions, and it's more of a concert outing or something like that to them. I feel sorry for them that they have become so disconnected to their spiritual side, inner peace and well being. Still, we're always glad to see them, it might rekindle something in one or two of them someday deep down, you never know.

The Christmas specials :D think it's tradition for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm atheist but I go to mass at christmas to appease the mother. It was actually alright. We went to cathederal in Galway where some bishop was saying mass. I couldn't really hear a word he was saying but the choir and organ music was great. Maybe the fact that i was sozzled from an afternoon of prosecco helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>Is it even relevant anymore. <<

em ,NO .

I dont see why it would be a waste of time not going to mass.

In the Third Commandment, God tells us to “Remember to keep holy the sabbath day.” For the Jews, the sabbath was Saturday; Christians, however, transferred the sabbath to Sunday, the day of Jesus Christ’s resurrection from the dead. The Church tells us that we have an obligation to fulfill the Third Commandment by refraining from unnecessary work on Sunday and by participating in the Mass, our chief form of worship as Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Start believing before you realise it was a mistake!

In whom? That's the problem with Paschal's Wager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Believe in something you don't believe in, to be safe - that's the joke that is the "logic" of Paschal's Wager.
    I feel really ashamed and utterly disgusted by peoples comment here (those who dont believe in jesus of course)

Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
    If Atheists don't believe in God why are they celebrating it?
    You don't see Jews celebrating Christmas even though Christmas
    might be a commercialized holiday.
    You might not have met any Christians who think about Jesus when celebrating it,
    but not all True Christians are like this.
    I'm Christian & I celebrate the fact that God sent his One & Only Son to die for us.
    What are you "ashamed" of? :confused:
    Personally I do believe Jesus existed - seemed like an amazing man, whose message sadly got lost and distorted. He also seems like he was a liberal - utterly at odds with the views of a lot of "christians". I don't however believe in god - and if I don't believe, I can't help it.
    Christmas is also a winter pagan festival, not just a religious one. There is evidence to indicate strongly that Jesus was not actually born on 25th December. People can celebrate it in whatever way they see fit. The religious angle is one aspect. A big one, granted, but still not the full picture.
    Lost sheep and everything lucky, more people go to Hell than Heaven. The hope is that just a few will repent and accept Christ all over again before it's too late for them.
    Start believing before you realise it was a mistake!
    Don't force your views on people - it's as bad as being smug atheists forcing their views on people. If you believe in god, that's great - it's a good thing for a lot of people to have; it's a great comfort to my grandmother for example. Defend yourselves from people who sneer at you also.
    But please don't sneer at people who don't believe in god and who don't force this on you. It is a *belief* that you have, it is not fact.

So I went to mass.
    Silly reason to go to mass of course (as silly as attending mass for show, which the same poster subsequently lamented) but still gets thanked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My local church is just behind my house. They are so busy at Christmas and communions that people park in our street and walk across. The same church now only has one service a week on a normal Sunday in an area with a large population because of falling numbers. I think for a person who is a regular mass goer it must be hard to see blow ins at Christmas. Just standing there counting the minutes until you can go home isn't really good enough. You might as well just stay at home unless you are going to take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I feel really ashamed and utterly disgusted by peoples comment here (those who dont believe in jesus of course)

Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
    If Atheists don't believe in God why are they celebrating it?
    You don't see Jews celebrating Christmas even though Christmas
    might be a commercialized holiday.
    You might not have met any Christians who think about Jesus when celebrating it,
    but not all True Christians are like this.
    I'm Christian & I celebrate the fact that God sent his One & Only Son to die for us.
    I don't care about the presents.

TBH you are coming across as the Christian equivalent of the hardline athiests with preachy posts like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I don't understand why an adult, who considers themselves to be atheist, will still go to Christmas mass because of routine/keeping religious mothers/grandmothers happy.

What sort of relationship do you have with your family where you have to keep your beliefs to yourself? Can you not just tell them you don't want to go and ask them to respect your decision?

It is this kind of weird repression that makes me scratch my head about the country we live in.

Advertisement