Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i didnt go to Mass!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

How about the people who are religious go to mass, enjoy it and celebrate, and those of us who aren't religious stay in, eat turkey, give gifts and drink, and BOTH groups mind their own bloody business and just be happy?

So many militant Catholics and atheists here. I'm atheist but jaysus, let people have their faith. It's as important to them as science or logic is to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Calibos wrote: »
    Does the 8 in your name signify your 8th rereg?? Prepare for an IP Ban :D

I think some of his points are interesting and very well presented. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Christmas eve and I never went to Mass. Must be the first year ever. Am not religious and am probably an atheist as don't actually believe in a God.
    However being in Ireland and having a religious grandmother who brought my family up, it's kind of a traditional more than anything else.
    Did you go or did you slip it. Is it even relevant anymore.

you holding on to a tradition is the very reason the catholic church has such a grip on our fair nations give them the finger and say no...

theres better things to do masturbation drink sex drugs far better experience then a poxy church :D

It's as important to them as science or logic is to us.

All three are important to many people, it doesnt have to be one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

RobertKK wrote: »
    He in an around way called a person a liar for saying the church was packed.

People go to church to worship God, something you failed to mention in your post.

Let's be honest now. The church was packed, mostly not by people who want to worship God, but who want to be seen by the neighbours wearing their new outfits and hairdos, where they can admire the tree and listen to the nice carols. You won't see them again until next Christmas as they certainly won't be at the stations of the cross at Easter.

If there's so many people who want to worship God, why aren't the churches packed all year round?

And why does it only seen to be Christmas people go to "keep Granny happy"?

• Advertisement

Let's be honest now. The church was packed, mostly not by people who want to worship God, but who want to be seen by the neighbours wearing their new outfits and hairdos, where they can admire the tree and listen to the nice carols. You won't see them again until next Christmas as they certainly won't be at the stations of the cross at Easter.

If there's so many people who want to worship God, why aren't the churches packed all year round?

And why does it only seen to be Christmas people go to "keep Granny happy"?

A high percentage of the people I saw at mass Christmas Eve mass were peope I would see there regularly or people home for Christmas who were regular mass goers when they lived around.

Churches aren't packed all year round but there are good crowds at mass on a Sunday and due to living away from home I end up attending mass at different ends of the country and at country and city masses so my experience is not confined to one area. Also lots of young people.

Thankfully we are a long long way from the godless Ireland many posters here crave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Not a single person in my life attended mass. You know, if we are sharing anecdotes like they prove something...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I do like a bit of mass of the choir is good but didn't fancy it on Christmas Day.

'Babysitting' is a staple in my excuse portfolio now. It's a belter as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

A high percentage of the people I saw at mass Christmas Eve mass were peope I would see there regularly or people home for Christmas who were regular mass goers when they lived around.

Churches aren't packed all year round but there are good crowds at mass on a Sunday and due to living away from home I end up attending mass at different ends of the country and at country and city masses so my experience is not confined to one area. Also lots of young people.

Thankfully we are a long long way from the godless Ireland many posters here crave.

This post just tries too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My old parish church was built in the '60s, of sufficient size to hold a young Dublin congregation of about 2000 people. I would have been one of them growing up, but myself, all my siblings and almost all of our friends have moved away and go to other, newer (or older) churches.

And while I'm sure there are plenty of people who go just to put in appearance when they're home for the holidays, I know that the vast majority of my neighbours/friends/classmates go to these "special event" masses because it's one of the few fixed times and places in our lives where we know we can make contact, put a face to the name of the girlfriend/boyfriend/son/daughter that we've heard about during the year ... In other words, live as part of a society where people do actually care about each other.

• Advertisement

Not a single person in my life attended mass. You know, if we are sharing anecdotes like they prove something...

As usual AH posters crying about anecdotes when they have no other come back :rolleyes:

As usual AH posters crying about anecdotes when they have no other come back :rolleyes:

If you want my come back, you'll have to ask your mother if she washed the sheets yet.

If you want my come back, you'll have to ask your mother if she washed the sheets yet.

That's an even worse post than taking nonsense about anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

The man who lives in the sky will be very angry with you.

That's an even worse post than taking nonsense about anecdotes.

Chill out man, you are just like your mom when I ruin the sheets. So uptight.

Tropheus wrote: »

I think he will be more angry with those disowning him ;)

Tropheus wrote: »

I barely remember to attend events I was invited to a few weeks earlier. If I am to attend mass, I will need something more recent than 2000 years. And generally, I ignore invites that cc everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Haven't gone to mass at Christmas in about 20 years. It doesn't feel as good as it used to, since nobody else goes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

As usual noxy claiming the opinion of him and his 6 mates is the majority one and the thousands of people from all walks of life who post on boards are wrong.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    As usual noxy claiming the opinion of him and his 6 mates is the majority one and the thousands of people from all walks of life who post on boards are wrong.

It's pretty much accepted that the opinions expressed in AH on many topics such as religion are a poor reflection of the actual opinions of the general population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's pretty much accepted that the opinions expressed in AH on many topics such as religion are a poor reflection of the actual opinions of the general population.

Accepted by who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I think he will be more angry with those disowning him ;)

I disowned him years and years ago. Nothing happened. Maybe he's just sulking.

Advertisement