Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i didnt go to Mass!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

All hail the sheeple who don't believe in this country & it's traditions.

Muppets........

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Oh dear.

Nice.

Can you expand upon that?

I explained as to why I went to mass earlier in this thread.

You gwan & be the 'cool lad in the classroom' & explain your position.

In your own time....

Nice.

Can you expand upon that?

I explained as to why I went to mass earlier in this thread.

You gwan & be the 'cool lad in the classroom' & explain your position.

In your own time....

Not particularly in the mood for a large debate after a big Christmas feed and a couple of bottles of wine.

Found it quite bizarre that you'd describe people who choose not to blindly following traditions as sheeple. I'm not sure you could've picked a worse description, it's inherently contradictory.

As far as calling them muppets for doing so? Well that says a lot about you really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

RobertKK wrote: »
    A CPR attempt for the RCC is what you called a post that said the church was packed and you finished your post with the word 'laughable' which implied the truth was not being told.

To you. It obviously hit a nerve. You need to consider the other possibility: that people pointing out that churches were packed today might be trying to promote a view that religion is returning to the position of social dominance it once had. Such an attempt would be laughable. You didn't see that of course. I pointed out that in RCC doctrine there is no such thing as a good mass. I pointed out what that doctrine is. And I implied that the majority of people at mass today had no grasp of that doctrine and if they did, I believe, the majority would reject it. For doing this there has been the usual tirade of abuse and name calling thrown at me. People have posted about the sense of community: just think about those whose humanity isn't deemed acceptable to that community of faith, and I won't even mention the wars. Finally, The church will never be allowed to abuse a position of social dominance and orchestrated groupthink again. People will not be silent or silenced. I hope when a mod reviews the personalised abuse thrown at me they might, as any fair minded person will see, that I haven't retaliated. Peace to people of good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Choochtown

There you go again.
    My previous post summed you up.

Your analogy is like there is a food scare so you stop eating giving you trust no food product.

Most people were not going to abandon their relationship with God based on the actions of humans.

I absolutely respect your right to believe what you believe.

However you support and finance a morally corrupt multi-million euro industry.

Could you not continue your beliefs and cut ties with them? Would your relationship with your god really suffer? Is it really that weak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bloody religion.

Some folk enjoy going to mass as often as possible

Others go for the big ticket occasions, perhaps for nostalgia, perhaps to keep the peace

Others would rather not go next or near the place

The key is that nobody is really forcing anybody else to do anything they don't want to do, no sense in tearing each other's heads off over it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

To you. It obviously hit a nerve. You need to consider the other possibility: that people pointing out that churches were packed today might be trying to promote a view that religion is returning to the position of social dominance it once had. Such an attempt would be laughable. You didn't see that of course. I pointed out that in RCC doctrine there is no such thing as a good mass. I pointed out what that doctrine is. And I implied that the majority of people at mass today had no grasp of that doctrine and if they did, I believe, the majority would reject it. For doing this there has been the usual tirade of abuse and name calling thrown at me. People have posted about the sense of community: just think about those whose humanity isn't deemed acceptable to that community of faith, and I won't even mention the wars. Finally, The church will never be allowed to abuse a position of social dominance and orchestrated groupthink again. People will not be silent or silenced. I hope when a mod reviews the personalised abuse thrown at me they might, as any fair minded person will see, that I haven't retaliated. Peace to people of good will.

No one was saying the church was returning to a position of social dominance.
    Saying the church was packed is just staring what one observed. It didn't mean anything more.
    Go to church at Easter you see the same thing.
    Go the end of January for example you won't see it.
    You jumped to conclusions based on what is the norm every year.

You talk about groupthink yet we see that on boards most days with the hostility some have towards religion and/or the Catholic Church.

Not particularly in the mood for a large debate after a big Christmas feed and a couple of bottles of wine.

Found it quite bizarre that you'd describe people who choose not to blindly following traditions as sheeple. I'm not sure you could've picked a worse description, it's inherently contradictory.

Aye. Thought as much.

You wandered into the thread with the same state of mind & thought........

'I the intellectual that will teach the Yokels some manners'. 'I'm a moderater & I'll kick ass.'

Go for it buddy.

Aye. Thought as much.

'I the intellectual that will teach the Yokels some manners'. 'I'm a moderater & I'll kick ass.'

Go for it..

Em, okay. That's exactly what happened...

P_1 wrote: »
    Bloody religion.

Some folk enjoy going to mass as often as possible

Others go for the big ticket occasions, perhaps for nostalgia, perhaps to keep the peace

Others would rather not go next or near the place

The key is that nobody is really forcing anybody else to do anything they don't want to do, no sense in tearing each other's heads off over it

Bloody religion and bloody anti-religion...to be fair to all...

• Advertisement

Em, okay. That's exactly what happened...

Yeah, & another thing...............

We're all pissed & are not all that bothered at the end of the day which way the thing goes.

We all does what's right for ourselves & our own.

Agree to disagree. Well that's our right & many people in the past fought for the right.

Pissed 101.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Happy Christmas Everyone :)

catallus wrote: »

And a Merry Christmas to you & yours.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

catallus wrote: »

Happy Christmas, hope you had a great one ;)

Choochtown wrote: »
    I absolutely respect your right to believe what you believe.

However you support and finance a morally corrupt multi-million euro industry.

Could you not continue your beliefs and cut ties with them? Would your relationship with your god really suffer? Is it really that weak?

But you do have a problem with it as your post goes on to say.

Monthly collection for st Vincent de Paul. Collections for Syria, and disaster areas.

The church is the biggest provider of eduction and healthcare in the world after governments.
    They are the largest provider of healthcare to HIV/AIDS victims in the world.

Of course this costs nothing to provide. Churches and the other services the church provides cost nothing to run.

I am more than happy to be a Roman Catholic given the millions of people it helps like in places where they provide services the government of that country doesn't.

We see it in Dublin where a Catholic religious order feeds 2000 people every week. Obviously the food costs nothing...and no one should give them money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Aye. Thought as much.

Go for it buddy.
    But it's ok for you to call people who don't go to mass sheeple and morons.
    The irony of that is what Diego Simone was pointing out by the way - nothing about being an intellect or a moderator... :confused:

I originally intended to post to this thread just about how silly it is for people to be acting as if it's a big deal for them not to go to mass, and having to let people know, and how it's mean-spirited to sneer at people who believe in god and attend mass and who don't force it on others etc, but it goes both ways. People who don't believe in god and don't force it on others, don't deserve to be sneered at either.
    Not believing in god in and of itself is not due to being "sheeple" or to be "cool" or feeling intellectually superior... how you behave in relation to it is what counts; same goes for people who are religious.

This almost feels like that time all those soldiers came out of their trenches after a long time fighting each other in a savage war, to declare a Truce.

To make things right. A fresh start. A chance to put things right.

1982, I think it was....

Play the pipes of peace.........:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You didn't go. I haven't been in 7 years. The novelty of not going wears off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

This almost feels like that time all those soldiers came out of their trenches after a long time fighting each other in a savage war, to declare a Truce.

To make things right. A fresh start. A chance to put things right.

1982, I think it was....

Play the pipes of peace.........:pac:
    Thaaaaa'ts more like it! :)

But it's ok for you to call people who don't go to mass sheeple and morons.
    The irony of that is what Diego Simone was pointing out by the way - nothing about being an intellect or a moderator... :confused:

I originally intended to post to this thread just about how silly it is for people to be acting as if it's a big deal for them not to go to mass, and having to let people know, and how it's mean-spirited to sneer at people who believe in god and attend mass and who don't force it on others etc, but it goes both ways. People who don't believe in god and don't force it on others, don't deserve to be sneered at either.
    Not believing in god in and of itself is not due to being "sheeple" or to be "cool" or feeling intellectually superior... how you behave in relation to it is what counts; same goes for people who are religious.

Venus. We're all done with that fighting.

All friends now.

Get with the program!

• Advertisement

Thaaaaa'ts more like it! :)

Y'see, that's your problem. Fighting with randomers on the internet.

Terrible behaeviour in my book.

Always be nice. That's my policy.

You should take a leaf out of my book.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Choochtown

But you do have a problem with it as your post goes on to say.

Monthly collection for st Vincent de Paul. Collections for Syria, and disaster areas.

The church is the biggest provider of eduction and healthcare in the world after governments.
    They are the largest provider of healthcare to HIV/AIDS victims in the world.

Of course this costs nothing to provide. Churches and the other services the church provides cost nothing to run.

I am more than happy to be a Roman Catholic given the millions of people it helps like in places where they provide services the government of that country doesn't.

We see it in Dublin where a Catholic religious order feeds 2000 people every week. Obviously the food costs nothing...and no one should give them money...

Sorry Robert you have misunderstood me.

I will repeat. I have no problem with you believing what you do regarding gods etc.

I think I have a bit of a problem with you believing that the Catholic Church are actually spending money helping people!! You really think that's it? This big business doesn't want anything in return? Seriously?

Please don't misunderstand this. Of course there are good people helping and providing for others less fortunate than themselves. Of course some of this work is done under the umbrella of the Catholic church. But to suggest that that vile organisation are somehow giving to others unconditionally??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

I feel really ashamed and utterly disgusted by peoples comment here (those who dont believe in jesus of course)

Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
    If Atheists don't believe in God why are they celebrating it?
    You don't see Jews celebrating Christmas even though Christmas
    might be a commercialized holiday.
    You might not have met any Christians who think about Jesus when celebrating it,
    but not all True Christians are like this.
    I'm Christian & I celebrate the fact that God sent his One & Only Son to die for us.
    I don't care about the presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

How's yer back and cold, Lucky Dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lost sheep and everything lucky, more people go to Hell than Heaven. The hope is that just a few will repent and accept Christ all over again before it's too late for them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Never been! Do they give out presents or anything?

Larianne wrote: »

The auld Lumbago has subsided for the last while Thank God. Thanks for asking BTW!

The cold won't kill me. Shure, I've too many health problems to list.

But hey. A creaking door never falls off it's hinges.

I'll probably be holding the shovel at your funeral, the way things are going...

Please God I'm not though........

Larianne wrote: »

Pretty crap still hope to recover by the morning cant imagine not going out tmw :(

Start believing before you realise it was a mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Yeah, & another thing...............

We're all pissed & are not all that bothered at the end of the day which way the thing goes.

We all does what's right for ourselves & our own.

Agree to disagree. Well that's our right & many people in the past fought for the right.

Pissed 101.;)

You may be pissed, but still no excuse for using the word " sheeple". That's a paddlin.

Advertisement