Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i didnt go to Mass!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Weve been drinking since lunch time and then at half 9 my mum and her sister decide were going to mass. There are the only 2 who aren't absolutely goosed. It was crap. I'm going to bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Not been to mass in about 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Spoiler: They turn bread into JC.

Witchcraft!! oooooooh

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Berserker wrote: »
    For those who said they haven't attended in years. By Mass, do you include funerals, weddings & baptisms? Surely, you would have had to attend one of the above in the last 15 years.
    One RC wedding where I had to hold my tongue after the priest said something really homophobic while staring at gay friends of mine. **** that noise.

I think if Dumbledore was saying mass, I definately would go just to see him take out his wand and turn the bread and wine into body and blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

shockwave wrote: »
    The big magic man in the sky will not be pleased:mad:

Why would Santy care if you went or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Absolutely packed today. Barely any standing room. People were standing outside the church listening.

Good mass actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What would you classify as a good mass??

Larianne wrote: »

They had kids acting out the whole baby Jesus story.

A really cool choir. Great singers and musicians.

Priest gave a good speech on Christmas.

Kids up on the altar talking about what Santa brought them, hilarious.

Seeing people outside the church I haven't seen in ages, who were home for the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

Larianne wrote: »
    knowing how to work the altar and effortless chalice work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Cathalog wrote: »
    Why would Santy care if you went or not?

Santy is Saint Nicholas. He mightn't give a hoot as long as you were decent to other people. Seems like the new Pope has similar tendencies. I haven't been to a non-event Mass in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Other than funerals or weddings. I don't think I've been to a mass since I was an altar boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Went to mass last night. Don't go every week but now and again. It was absolutely beautiful. Choir sang. Congregation joined in. It really touched me. Been an eventful year for my family and I don't know why but last night I just felt more thankful than ever. I know this is probably not the right place, each to their own, but last night was special for me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Went to midnight mass.

Church was packed, person beside me was tired as I could see him rubbing his eyes, then a few minutes he nodded off three or four times during the sermon. The priest had a very sedate voice which didn't help him.

It was enjoyable, lots of music and the singers were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Absolutely packed today. Barely any standing room. People were standing outside the church listening.

Good mass actually.

The attempt at CPR for the RCC on boards continues. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
    Denis Diderot

What is laughable is people thinking they know more than those who attended mass.

Christmas and Easter are the times the churches do be packed.

RobertKK wrote: »
    What is laughable is people thinking they know more than those who attended mass.

Christmas and Easter are the times the churches do be packed.

Ah! More stealth proselytisation. Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Why would anyone go to mass on Santas birthday ?

Ah! More stealth proselytisation. Very enjoyable.

But how can you say the person is wrong when you weren't there to see.

You are basically saying anyone who says anything like a church was packed is telling lies...and you base it on no evidence.
    Which means you have based it on your own ignorance of the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was a pretty good mass. Good atmosphere, good crowd. Shame it was so cold, but whatever.

Why would anyone go to mass on Santas birthday ?

Santa is based on St Nicholas, his feast day is December 6th. St Nicholas gave presents to the poor at Christmas to celebrate the birth of Jesus...

Like the run up to Christmas for retailers, Christmas is when the church rakes in a lot of cash as they are usually packed to the rafters with the regulars and a majority of seasonal church goers.
    Am sure that every year the priests spend lots of time rehearsing for the Christmas masses in the hope of getting a return on their investment, not just the cash on the day but the vain hope of getting some repeat business from it.

But how can you say the person is wrong when you weren't there to see.

You are basically saying anyone who says anything like a church was packed is telling lies...and you base it on no evidence.
    Which means you have based it on your own ignorance of the facts.

Basically I didn't say anything like that. Basically. Like. You know. Basically. Genuinely.

Your post of scepticism & tin pot theory is just disgusting. But happy Christmas to you anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Christmas eve and I never went to Mass. Must be the first year ever. Am not religious and am probably an atheist as don't actuallgy believe in a God.
    However being in Ireland and having a religious grandmother who brought my family up, it's kind of a traditional more than anything else.
    Did you go or did you slip it. Is it even relevant anymore.

I won't be going on the "ran" tomorrow, and I'm making a big song and dance about it. How dare others enjoy something that doesn't interest me?

Your post of scepticism & tin pot theory is just disgusting. But happy Christmas to you anyhow.

Ah here. A good mass by definition is one where a validly ordained minister who has through some supernatural method taken on the character of a first century CE man called Jesus confects the bread and wine so that they really, not metaphorically, become the body and blood of said first century man and are consumed by the faithful as such. This sacrifice is a recapitulation of the atonement sacrifice of God the son to God the father at Calvary for the sins of humanity so that the gates of heaven could be reopened to the dead. All the time God the father God the son and God the Holy Spirit are one person. And that is what you need to write here when you are talking about a good mass. But then the clever clergy realised years ago that the only chance they had was when they didn't talk about the alleged deity at all. I don't wish you a happy or unhappy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Santa is based on St Nicholas, his feast day is December 6th. St Nicholas gave presents to the poor at Christmas to celebrate the birth of Jesus...

and all that was borrowed from Yule

Until Coca-cola sorted him out, Santa was all over the shop - sometimes tall n thin, sometimes dressed up in all sorts

https://www.google.ie/search?q=haddon+Sundblom

as we all know coca-cola > jesus

gctest50 wrote: »
    and all that was borrowed from Yule

Until Coca-cola sorted him out, Santa was all over the shop - sometimes tall n thin, sometimes dressed up in all sorts

https://www.google.ie/search?q=haddon+Sundblom

as we all know coca-cola > jesus

Nope.
    All false .

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Oh give it a bloody rest ffs. I haven't gone to Mass it probably 20+ years, but I don't believe is sniping from my soapbox at people who do. There's a sickening element to Atheism which is as bad as the RC Church in its heyday. Always yapping, always pontificating and trying to force it's beliefs down our throats. So you don't believe in religion or whatever, so ****ing what? Now get over yourself, maybe grow up and have the maturity to respect those who have views that differ from yours.

Advertisement