Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i didnt go to Mass!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Oh give it a bloody rest ffs. I haven't gone to Mass it probably 20+ years, but I don't believe is sniping from my soapbox at people who do. There's a sickening element to Atheism which is as bad as the RC Church in its heyday. Always yapping, always pontificating and trying to force it's beliefs down our throats. So you don't believe in religion or whatever, so ****ing what? Now get over yourself, maybe grow up and have the maturity to respect those who have views that differ from yours.

Leaving aside the personalised abuse element of your contribution what is left? Maturity might also mean recognising that views based in magical understanding of life have had their day. And people who promote them should be made to state those beliefs clearly. Maturity might mean also recognising that the freedom to live my life was fought for against the bitter and personalised abuse and opposition of those who hold those beliefs and imposed them through state law. Much as they still do in some areas of life here. So, leaving aside your abuse, what's left? Nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Oh give it a bloody rest ffs. I haven't gone to Mass it probably 20+ years, but I don't believe is sniping from my soapbox at people who do. There's a sickening element to Atheism which is as bad as the RC Church in its heyday. Always yapping, always pontificating and trying to force it's beliefs down our throats. So you don't believe in religion or whatever, so ****ing what? Now get over yourself, maybe grow up and have the maturity to respect those who have views that differ from yours.

This x 1000. Go back to memorizing your Dawkins quotes so you can practice reciting them in your best cleverer than you voice.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    This x 1000. Go back to memorizing your Dawkins quotes so you can practice reciting them in your best cleverer than you voice.

See above. P.S. I haven't read Dawkins. But don't let facts get in the way of your bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Well said, Areyouwell. About 30+ years in my case. But the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses impinge less on my life than these Latter Day A&A Evangelists. Yes, the RCChurch was intolerant in its heyday, but some people have learned nothing from that.

feargale wrote: »
    Well said, Areyouwell. About 30+ years in my case. But the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses impinge less on my life than these Latter Day A&A Evangelists. Yes, the RCChurch was intolerant in its heyday, but some people have learned nothing from that.

Please explain how I am being intolerant by pointing out the RCC beliefs about its own sacrament??? What I learned from the intolerance of the RCC is never again to be silenced by it or its groupthink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

gctest50 wrote: »

Ahh sure they would probably take the credit for anything popular to increase sales. ;)

Ahh sure they would probably take the credit for anything popular to increase sales. ;)

They wouldn't be the only ones now would they. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The Longford Cathedral would be delighted to have you. They need to keep numbers up to justify 30,000 000 on a barely attended building.

I went but had no interest at all, it was just a series of stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, kneel stand up, sit down, stand up, shake hands, kneel stand up, sit down, go home!

Only went to keep the peace. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Good post.

Went with the Wife & kids. Not too long a ceremoney.

I'm not a Holey Joe by any means, but things like this can bring comminities together.

The kids meet each other & parents that might not otherwise meet, have a chat.

Families meet up & no matter how bad things are, have a word with each other.

Also, we're lucky enough to have a decent Parish Priest that works very hard for the Parish despite age/health issues.

Can't understand how he puts up with all the sh1te TBH.

Of course...........ye'll always have the aul spoilsports who say 'down with this sort of thing'.

But Hey.

Please explain how I am being intolerant by pointing out the RCC beliefs about its own sacrament??? What I learned from the intolerance of the RCC is never again to be silenced by it or its groupthink.

You want me to engage in theological disputation with you? There's a Muslim fundamentalist on another thread whose response to every accusation is a reference to the Quran. It's so long since I learned anything about sacraments you'd snooker me while all the red balls were still on the table. Big win for you. Heartiest congratulations.
    I couldn't give a fiddlers' what the RCC Church says about sacraments. Now to the point: For your Christian neighbours and many others besides this is their biggest or near biggest day of the year, not a day of sorrow or penance like Good Friday, but a day of joy and fellowship and love and peace, and a little self indulgence too. And some of you want to p1ss on their parade. Some neighbours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Other than funerals or weddings. I don't think I've been to a mass since I was an altar boy

You're a guy?!? :pac: I always thought you were a girl!

Went to Midnight Mass in Knock last year. Didn't go this year but would like to go to it again. Mass is boring, sit down trying not to cough or choke. Stand up, sit down. Stand up, kneel down. Stand up, sit down. Stand up, make a fist on yer chest or try not to fall over that annoying Ledge yoke that ya don't know whether to stand on top of or kick it outta yer way when the person from ten seats over decides to shake yer hand. Then Gangnam Style / Hokey-Pokey / shuffle like a penguin up and down to and from the Altar. Kneel down again then go home.

Would like if there was something else on for the evening other than just Mass. Havn't been to a Carol Service before, must go to one next year. But yeah a couple of hours of decent-sounding-Carol-Singers, few balloons in the sky or faffing about with Lanterns. Would like something like that for the evening instead of Mass.

feargale wrote: »
    You want me to engage in theological disputation with you? There's a Muslim fundamentalist on another thread whose response to every accusation is a reference to the Quran. It's so long since I learned anything about sacraments you'd snooker me while all the red balls were still on the table. Big win for you. Heartiest congratulations.
    I couldn't give a fiddlers' what the RCC Church says about sacraments. Now to the point: For your Christian neighbours and many others besides this is their biggest or near biggest day of the year, not a day of sorrow or penance like Good Friday, but a day of joy and fellowship and love and peace, and a little self indulgence too. And some of you want to p1ss on their parade. Some neighbours!

Easy win. You simply missed the point of what I said about the "good mass". I simply pointed out what they believe. And they got cross. RCC has done far worse to people "than piss on their parade ". But let's not mention the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So you don't believe in religion or whatever, so ****ing what? Now get over yourself, maybe grow up and have the maturity to respect those who have views that differ from yours.

As if you've ever had to lie about your religion to get your kids into a school.

Easy win. You simply missed the point of what I said about the "good mass". I simply pointed out what they believe. And they got cross. RCC has done far worse to people "than piss on their parade ". But let's not mention the war.

You're loss. If you don't believe in anything.........well you'll believe in any auld sh1te.

I wouldn't be a big fan of the GAA either, but I can see that my kids get a lot out of it. Therefore, I support it bigtime..

Rakes of people working for the common good. What's not to like?

Good luck to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Choochtown

These threads are a macabre combination of hilarity and sadness.

Simply by pointing out the recognised doctrine of the Catholic faith someone can be lambasted. Why is that? Embarrassment? Shame? Why the anger?

What exactly has Cantremember posted that people find so offensive?

No one has questioned your right to believe what you want.

But if you must still frequent the buildings of and finance one of the richest businesses in the world who have been proven from the very top to protect and harbour known child abusers please expect a little bit of flack.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Choochtown wrote: »
    These threads are a macabre combination of hilarity and sadness.

Simply by pointing out the recognised doctrine of the Catholic faith someone can be lambasted. Why is that? Embarrassment? Shame? Why the anger?

What exactly has Cantremember posted that people find so offensive?

No one has questioned your right to believe what you want.

But if you must still frequent the buildings of and finance one of the richest businesses in the world who have been proven from the very top to protect and harbour known child abusers please expect a little bit of flack.

He in an around way called a person a liar for saying the church was packed.

People go to church to worship God, something you failed to mention in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I went but had no interest at all, it was just a series of stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, kneel stand up, sit down, stand up, shake hands, kneel stand up, sit down, go home!

Only went to keep the peace. :rolleyes:

Decent enough workout to assuage any potential guilt over the carb overload that is the christmas dinner binge all the same.

Every cloud and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

People who go to mass only at Christmas piss me off no end....I live right opposite a church, I never go to mass it means nothing to me but seeing cars roll up at Christmas that are never there every other Sunday of the year gets my goat up, hypocrites of the highest order

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »

People go to church to worship God, something you failed to mention in your post.

No I didn't. That's you making stuff up.

Surely Christians believe that God is everywhere? He is easily accessible through prayer? I don't understand how anyone would feel the need to finance that organisation in order to communicate or feel connected to their god. I have read back through the posts and at no stage has Cantremember insulted anyone's beliefs.

Exactly my point. We'll get revenge. Nothing learned. Long live Hoxha!

Ah now, I think saying everyone goes to Mass at Christmas to worship God is a fair bit of exaggerating. It's mostly for show and sure the kids are still being indoctrinated (? Brainwashed).

No I didn't. That's you making stuff up.

A CPR attempt for the RCC is what you called a post that said the church was packed and you finished your post with the word 'laughable' which implied the truth was not being told.

Surely Christians believe that God is everywhere? He is easily accessible through prayer? I don't understand how anyone would feel the need to finance that organisation in order to communicate or feel connected to their god. I have read back through the posts and at no stage has Cantremember insulted anyone's beliefs.

You can't receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at home. The body and blood of Christ.
    I didn't say he insulted anyone's belief you have tried though.

Haven't followed this thread TBH, there's some seriously deluded & fooked up people posting on here.

All hail the sheeple who don't believe in this country & it's traditions.

Muppets........

A CPR attempt for the RCC is what you called a post that said the church was packed and you finished your post with the word 'laughable' which implied the truth was not being told.

Take any multi-million euro business. Microsoft? Coca-Cola? Now imagine that from the very top, they were found to have protected and harboured known child sex offenders. Not only that, but it was company policy to obstruct anyone who investigated these sickening, disgusting crimes.

Now imagine last night in Ireland the very same company did a roaring trade.

I suggest that "laughable" is quite a mild word to be using.

Ah now, I think saying everyone goes to Mass at Christmas to worship God is a fair bit of exaggerating. It's mostly for show and sure the kids are still being indoctrinated (? Brainwashed).

Well I didn't say everyone.
    But I was replying to a hostile post where a person mentioned priests who abused, as if people should abandon their faith over that when it is God one worships not the clergy. He said people should expect flack over the abuse which totally misses the point why people go to church, and it us ignorant to judge all people by using the worse to judge all. There was no distinction made between good priests and the evil abusers.

• Advertisement

Take any multi-million euro business. Microsoft? Coca-Cola? Now imagine that from the very top, they were found to have protected and harboured known child sex offenders. Not only that, but it was company policy to obstruct anyone who investigated these sickening, disgusting crimes.

Now imagine last night in Ireland the very same company did a roaring trade.

I suggest that "laughable" is quite a mild word to be using.

There you go again.
    My previous post summed you up.

Your analogy is like there is a food scare so you stop eating giving you trust no food product.

Most people were not going to abandon their relationship with God based on the actions of humans.

Advertisement